Otaku Idol 2009 ?

Hey everyone, the Rules and instructions on recording your demo song for Otaku Idol 09 are up on the Otakon website as of tonight. There is one slight mix up in the rules part. I will try to get it changed so the wording is not so confusing.

This is what it says on the website(what needs to be changed is bolded and underlined):

SUBMISSION PROCEDURE

Email mikeflury[at]hotmail][dot]com for submission instructions. DO NOT EMAIL YOUR SUBMISSION TO THIS ADDRESS. Make sure to include your submission form with this email, and if available, a URL to download your submission.

The best way to submit is to use a free service like RapidShare (http://www.rapidshare.de) or your own personal webspace so that no one has to worry about clogging email boxes. Simply email the URL to mikeflury[at]hotmail][dot]com.

You may also send your demo songs to Otaku Idol via AIM, however, contact me first via email or PM on the Otakon BBS, and then I

If the file is an mp3 or a wav file, then you can submit it. However, I cant take anything else other than those files. They should be pretty standard formats by now anyways. However, try using that program from the Otaku Idol section, Audacity. It works very well, and the guide is "so easy, even a caveman can do it." No, wait, thats Geico, but you get the idea.

If the file is an mp3 or a wav file, then you can submit it. However, I cant take anything else other than those files. They should be pretty standard formats by now anyways. However, try using that program from the Otaku Idol section, Audacity. It works very well, and the guide is "so easy, even a caveman can do it." No, wait, thats Geico, but you get the idea.

No, you can use Audacity to record in mp3 or wav format. You would record a whole new song, if you wanted to.

Hi, I have another question - but I thought it might benefit to write it here =)

Do you know what day this program will run? Or, how long this program runs? (2-3 hours? The whole day? etc.etc.)

My friend and I are planning to get a table in the artist alley - but I wanted to know if it was even possible to audition / attend the program because I don't want to ditch her.

You audition with the demo song, so the 10 contestants are chosen before the con even begins. As for the day of the contest, It isnt set in stone yet, but usually we shoot for Friday evening. Hopefully it will be earlier rather than later, I dont want to have a later show like the past 2 years. When I know when the show will be, you will know.

Again, this goes for everyone, please read the instructions and recording guide first before you shoot over a ton of questions, they are designed to answer most, if not all of your questions.

Hey there,

Just wondering, does the demo have to be just one song, or can it be snippets of multiple songs? It would be silly to have a 15 minute demo, but what about a demo that is 3-5 minutes (total) worth of different songs?

Thanks,

-Nettle

Hi!

I'm the girl that won Otaku Idol last year. I had a lot of fun last year, and I'm looking forward to seeing the entries this year. Good luck to everyone that enters! :)

So you are Latrice, correct ? I saw you on YouTube singing " It's Gonna Rain ". You were really good, and congratulations on winning ! :(

Thanks! I think I messed up on a few songs (had trouble remembering lyrics for all three songs), but I just went with the flow. I tried to sing two songs in my vocal range (It's Gonna Rain, and Neiro), and a song that I just like to sing that's a bit out of my range (Kiss and Cry). The judges stressed that you're being a performer on stage, and not just a singer. So just go out there and have fun with the songs, and keep the audience in engaged. Even if you mess up, go with the flow!

You just need to record one song for your demo song.

Also, FYI, I've only recieved one demo song so far, and there's about a week and a half left before the deadline. If you want to be entered into the contest pool in hopes of getting into the contest, please get your demo songs in ASAP.

You just need to record one song for your demo song.

Also, FYI, I've only recieved one demo song so far, and there's about a week and a half left before the deadline. If you want to be entered into the contest pool in hopes of getting into the contest, please get your demo songs in ASAP.

Hi! :D I havent't been to Otakon I think since 2006 ;_;! But I'm looking forward to this year! I saw this Otaku Idol and I figured hey i use to sing in the kareoke bar at the convention so why not give this a shot ^^; I just have to find sometime to sit down and actually record my demo considering its going to be due next week. I hope I get in and good luck to everyone else :D Let's have a fun time this year! ^_^!

Just a reminder guys, the deadline for your demo songs is quickly coming up, you have a little less than a week to send in your demo songs. For those of you who have emailed me, thanks for your songs and interest in Otaku Idol. For those of you who havent, heres one thing that may clarify some common questions I've been getting in emails.

Despite the Otaku Idol rules that say send me an email asking how to enter as well as where to find a submission form; there isnt an actual submission form this year, that was something from a previous year that wasnt taken out of the rules this year, so ignore the whole submission thing.

The things you need to email me are your name, your age, if you are registered for Otakon 09, the name of your demo song, the original artist/group of the song, and the link to your demo song. Remember, your demo song MUST be in mp3 or wav format, NO Youtube links, no real format songs, just mp3 or wav format(it makes my job of judging the songs easier and quicker, so you will know if you are picked for the contest quicker).

That all should clear some things up for you all. Good luck, I'm looking forward to listening to all your songs!

Send me the one with both vocals, if it sounds weird, I'll let you know.

Just so you all know, there is just about one day left for you to send me your demo songs. I have 12 songs so far from contestant hopefuls, so in theory, we will have 10 contestants that will perform at Otaku Idol this year. (In the past, we've had problems with less than 10 people showing up at con for the contest, and even less than 10 demo song submissions) So far, this year looks to be pretty solid for singing talent, as well as something new that we're featuring at Otaku Idol this year, we'll have a guest Judge judging our contestants.

I cant say who our guest Judge is, but our guest Judge is an actual professional J-pop singer who has released music in the US. So thats something that our 10 contestants can look forward to this year, being critiqued on your singing ability and pronunciation of Japanese by an actual J-pop singer!

Hopefully, that will also in turn bring out a big crowd for you all to enjoy, as well as the usual antics our judges have during the show and round breaks. If you were there last year, expect to see some more fun and hilarity as Otakon brings you all Otaku Idol 2009!

i really hope i get in, i've been practicing all morning and day xDD if not, hey i can always still sing at the karaoke bar ^^!

So far so good everyone, I have a total as of 10:45 pm, 28 demo song submissions, so we have plenty to work from this year. Remember, if you havent sent in your demo song, you have until midnight tonight(eastern standard time) to do so. I'll be up til midnight tearing through my inbox accepting all your submissions.

Phew, I guess mine made it, then. I could have sworn the deadline was later, and I planned on recording something entirely different. But decided to go with something easier for time's sake. xDDD

I'm really excited about this guest judge! I wonder who it will be. =O

Thanks to everyone who submitted a demo song, we have 30 total demo songs this year, more than we've ever had!

Now comes the tough part, cutting 30 possible contestants down to 10. I will be spending the next week or so listening to your demo songs and conferring with our other Otaku Idol staff to narrow down our 10 contestants. Give us about a week or so, if you hear from me saying you are in the contest, congrats, you've made it! If you dont hear from me, that means you arent selected for the contest.

Thanks to everyone who supports Otaku Idol, and to all those who submitted your demo songs, I look forward to listening to them all. Once I know when Otaku Idol is taking place during Otakon, I'll post up here so you all know when to come and cheer on your 2009 Otaku Idol contestants!

Thanks to everyone who submitted a demo song, we have 30 total demo songs this year, more than we've ever had!

Now comes the tough part, cutting 30 possible contestants down to 10. I will be spending the next week or so listening to your demo songs and conferring with our other Otaku Idol staff to narrow down our 10 contestants. Give us about a week or so, if you hear from me saying you are in the contest, congrats, you've made it! If you dont hear from me, that means you arent selected for the contest.

Thanks to everyone who supports Otaku Idol, and to all those who submitted your demo songs, I look forward to listening to them all. Once I know when Otaku Idol is taking place during Otakon, I'll post up here so you all know when to come and cheer on your 2009 Otaku Idol contestants!

the suspense is killing xD I bet ti is for anyone else too >_> or I'm just weird like that :D

Sorry, I shouldve given myself and my staff a bit more time to listen to all your songs. I wasnt expecting 30 songs this year, so its taking us a little while longer to listen and decide who we want in the contest. Give us til this Friday or Saturday, and we'll send out the emails to the lucky 10 people. Again, thanks for your patience.

Sorry, I shouldve given myself and my staff a bit more time to listen to all your songs. I wasnt expecting 30 songs this year, so its taking us a little while longer to listen and decide who we want in the contest. Give us til this Friday or Saturday, and we'll send out the emails to the lucky 10 people. Again, thanks for your patience.

Hey all, the time has come, and the emails have been sent out. The 10 contestants for this years Otaku Idol have been chosen, so if you sent in a demo song, check your email, and if you have an email with the subject "Congratulations, you've been selected for this years Otaku Idol!", you've been chosen for this years Otaku Idol(duh!)

For those of you who were chosen, read the email, and follow the instructions that are included.

For those of you who were not chosen, I really appreciate you all sending in your demo songs, the talent we has this year was excellent, and really hard to choose just 10 people from. If you weren't picked this year, don't give up, there is always next year.

Even if you weren't picked for the contest this year, still come out and see and cheer on the 10 contestants who were picked and see them perform at this years Otaku Idol!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.