I've seen quite a few odd cosplays in my day, and I thought it would be fun to discuss the strangest or most unheard of cosplays you've seen, whether they gave you a nerdgasm or just made you go "wtf?"

I think one of the most obscure cosplays that I was real happy to see was a girl cosplaying Justicia from The Crystal of Kings. She had the long blond hair and everything, it was pretty awesome, near perfect for a game that pretty much nobody's heard of.

this past otakon on friday i did run into a Limdo cosplay, a character from fushigi yuugi genbu kaiden. i turned fangirl really quickly and started taking mad pics. the cosplayer was so happy that i actually reconized her.

as for me, i'm working on a gaku namikiri costume from absolute boyfriend. i dunno if anyone will reconize me, unless they read shojo manga. my friend is also going as yuki from the same manga.

A couple years ago I cosplayed as Aoi Sakuraba from Ai Yori Aoshi. I am used to seeing multiple people cosplaying the same character but I never saw another Aoi chan. She is one character I think I have only seen maybe one or 2 other cosplayers ever. I did have someone recognize who I was so that cheered me up. I think it would be fun to cosplay as her again someday.

This year I am thinking of Dokurochan. I think I just want to carry the spiked bat.

• 2 weeks later...

unfortunetly My special ability to Cosplay obscure charaters ... either they are popular charaters but in outfits that are alt. colors (like Felicia (marvel vs capcom2 )I did an orange version) and Dizzy (guilty gear 2) I did the all white version or outfits you don't see but for a few mins like watanuki as Alice (XXX Holic) or little known or seen charaters Aporos/ Tira (Sorcerer Hunters ) seen only for 10 seconds total in the series. and Meek Panyo Panyo Digi Charat go figure .

unfortunetly again I'm good at picking them but not noticing them >_<;

As far as I know, no one else has gone as the animated Legend of Zelda series Link and Zelda other than my wife and I (2005 & 2007). And last year we went as what I think were the onlyD-Boy and Aki from Tekkaman Blade. In both cases we were quite pleased by the fan reaction we had.

We have also gone as the vault dweller and Dogmeat from Fallout (2005), original characters from our own fiction (2006), in addition to link in 2007 I went as my favorite character from City of Heroes.

For 2009 we're both doing City of Heroes characters, as well as Angel and Omar from Rock n' Rule.

Personaly I like being the "only one" at Otakon, and the fans always get a kick out of it too.

Edited by syntaxerror37

Well, I'm being Trish and my brother is being Mista from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

I'll be utterly shocked if anyone has any idea who we are. xD

• 3 weeks later...

A few years ago I went as Jessebelle from Pokemon. One little girl recognized me, and I was so excited I kind of screamed at her!

Then in '07 I went as Cinderalla from the Junko Mizuno manga of the same name, in her waitress uniform. Not surprisingly, no one at all recognized me.

My BF went as Dinah last year from Bizenghast, and did a great job. One person did think she was the Purple Tentacle's girlfriend (they were wearing an identical shade of purple, and we're friends of PT), but that was the only recognition she got.

I'm always disappointed when I do obscure characters, I put a lot of time and effort into perfecting my cosplays, and I hate that no one congratulates me on it!

I'm going to try and cosplay as Doumeki from xxxHoLiC, (mostly because I can do it cheaply)

but I doubt anyone would recognize it, especially without a watanuki.

I still am going to do it though!

I was Eald'narche from Final Fantasy XI last year and I'll probably wear it for a bit this year too. You may be thinking, "everyone knows Final Fantasy", but not XI. It's the MMO, so there's really only a niche group of people who know it. Not to mention he's a cutscene/battle only NPC, so even if you play the game, if you're not far enough along into the storyline missions you'll have no idea who he is. It was cool when the like, two people recognized it though.

I must say, if anyone recognizes me this year, I will give them a cookie XD

Kuronue has got to be one of the minorest characters in the movie no one saw because it was no good, or if they did see it, it was so long ago and they never had any desire ot watch it again...

well... I did one way back in '99 at katsucon. Went as Yusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho: The Movie Poltergeist Report.... ^_^; worst idea but then again was my very first time trying to cosplay

unfortunetly My special ability to Cosplay obscure charaters ... either they are popular charaters but in outfits that are alt. colors (like Felicia (marvel vs capcom2 )I did an orange version) and Dizzy (guilty gear 2) I did the all white version or outfits you don't see but for a few mins like watanuki as Alice (XXX Holic) or little known or seen charaters Aporos/ Tira (Sorcerer Hunters ) seen only for 10 seconds total in the series. and Meek Panyo Panyo Digi Charat go figure .
I must say, if anyone recognizes me this year, I will give them a cookie XD

Kuronue has got to be one of the minorest characters in the movie no one saw because it was no good, or if they did see it, it was so long ago and they never had any desire ot watch it again...

I was Eald'narche from Final Fantasy XI last year and I'll probably wear it for a bit this year too. You may be thinking, "everyone knows Final Fantasy", but not XI. It's the MMO, so there's really only a niche group of people who know it. Not to mention he's a cutscene/battle only NPC, so even if you play the game, if you're not far enough along into the storyline missions you'll have no idea who he is. It was cool when the like, two people recognized it though.
  • 3 weeks later...

For '08, my friend and I went as the main heroes Lucian and Aaron from Lunar Knights. Only ONE person in the entire convention recognized us and pulled us over. I was surprised at getting even one person to recognize us. XD;

One of my next cosplay plans is Raguna from Rune Factory, which I'm really not expecting many to recognize that.

I get the feeling Princess Alena from Dragon Warrior 4 and Aya Shameimaru from Touhou Project will both be pretty obscure too, but not as much as Raguna.

I seem to have a love for the obscure characters.

I have been thinking about doing a cosplay from NHK. You know the little purple things that torment Satou. Though I don't think anyone would recognize me doing that. At least not without another 2 people for the other letters.

If I finish it in time, I'll be going as Clara from Skies of Arcadia. I don't think a lot of people will recognize it but that's okay, it gives me an excuse to wear a hoop skirt, lol. I'll also be cosplaying as Coyote from Gunnerkrigg Court (with my sister going as Annie), again probably something not a lot of people will recognize, but it will be fun.

• 3 weeks later...

last year one of my friends cosplayed as a jabbawockee with another one of his friends. they were the only ones i saw that year :rolleyes:

I'm a little embarrassed about this one, I had been getting into Negima prior to Otakon (can't remember the year, they all run together now). So anyway, I'm walking through the BCC, and I pass this guy, and sudddenly, it clicks: red hair, green suit, staff. I suddenly turn around and shout, "Hey! Negi Springfield!" Fortunately, he wasn't freaked out by that, and stopped for a picture or two. Anyway, that's the one that springs to mind. I see a lot of cosplays every year that, unfortunately, I have no clue what they are. But I still appreciate the workmanship.

hahaa my first Otakon I decided to go as the girl Otakon mascot.... yeah I don't think anyone even knew I was cosplaying. But it did inspire me to make costumes out of paper for the rest of the weekend...

I've also cosplayed as characters from Kashi Masi (only one person recognized us) and as the Plant Pretear which only appears in the manga version of the series (but the outfit is super cool)

Edited by Zairelyn

Strangest thing I ever saw had to be like 2 years ago with Gangster Barny.

It was weird, because he and Brian from family guy got into a fight.

Gangster

Barny.

• 3 weeks later...

I tend to do obscure characters, or characters from series that are a bit under the radar. I guess that's a good thing, since I'm still kinda trying to get better at the whole sewing thing. My first "cosplay", meaning one I made myself was Sae Kurosawa (ghost in the bloody white kimono) from Fatal Frame II. I did a Marta go to along with my boyfriend's Greed at one point (only ONE person knew who I was at that con). A few cons later, I did Tina from Fantastic Children, and the Doll Factory Boss from Condemned 2: Bloodshot. I really don't mind when people don't recognize what I'm from. I mean, dem's kinda the breaks when you do something obscure or off the beaten path. I cosplay characters from series I like. If it happens to be popular, so be it :)

• 3 weeks later...
I tend to do obscure characters, or characters from series that are a bit under the radar. I guess that's a good thing, since I'm still kinda trying to get better at the whole sewing thing. My first "cosplay", meaning one I made myself was Sae Kurosawa (ghost in the bloody white kimono) from Fatal Frame II. I did a Marta go to along with my boyfriend's Greed at one point (only ONE person knew who I was at that con). A few cons later, I did Tina from Fantastic Children, and the Doll Factory Boss from Condemned 2: Bloodshot. I really don't mind when people don't recognize what I'm from. I mean, dem's kinda the breaks when you do something obscure or off the beaten path. I cosplay characters from series I like. If it happens to be popular, so be it :)

I cosplayed Sae as well at Otakon 2006 and 2008 (I may bring her back this year as well)...in 06' a photog was snapping photos of me...never saw one on the web o.O. One guy recognized me in the Dealer's Room and when he went to take a photo...his camera wouldn't work, so he has me on video slowly creeping toward him...and he got his 'fatal frame' shot :P

I also did a cosplay (my first one) of K

I've done two obsure-ish characters before. Once I did Commander Amarao from FLCL, who most people know by sight but not by name. Just as I expected, everyone just said "Oh hey it's that eyebrows guy!" or "Those eyebrows...".

Last year I cosplayed as Missing No., a well known glitch from Pokemon Red and Blue. About 5/6ths of the congoers didn't get it, and ignored me or thought I was a Tetris block. Anyone that HAD played those first Pokemon games screamed in joy at me. Eventually I had to force myself to go change out of my costume not just because of the heat or the difficulty of moving around, but because I was getting way too much of a swelled head. Having hundreds of people tell you that you are the best or most original cosplay they've seen before will do that to you... :D

I've only cosplayed twice before and they were both obscure characters. The main character from Feel the Magic for DS, which got recognized 3 or 4 times, and Todd Snap from Pokemon Snap, which got recognized once or twice. This was a huge contrast to my brother cosplaying Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes, because he could hardly walk five steps without somebody saying "dude, Travis!" This was at Anime Boston earlier this year, the only con I've been to, Otakon this year will be my second

I love when people cosplay Earthbound or the other Mother games.

Edited by kevinchai
  • 2 weeks later...

Last year my friend and I cosplayed characters from Nabari no ou and no one recognized us besides one other person cosplaying from it...but I wouldn't say they are obscure.

This year my roommate is dressing as one of the zombies from Plants vs Zombies, road cone and all.

Back in 2004 and 2005 there was a girl who came dressed as King Dedede from Kirby. She had the huge hammer too.

At katsukon in 2006 there were 4 people who went dressed in 4 sided boxes with the FF6 characters drawn pixel by pixel on their box to look 16 bit. That alone was worth the 500 mile trip.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/kan...9-R1-022-9A.jpg

I dunno if its especially obscure, considering it comes from arguably one of the most popular Final Fantasies ever made, but I'll be cosplaying as General Leo, the honorable dude with the short blond mohawk from the Gesthal Empire.

I always have a soft spot for obscure cosplayers. They go through tons of time to get their costumes perfect, and they usually turn out the best.

My friend went as Ryou from Tokyo Mew Mew three years back, and I think maybe two people recognized her. Another friend, this year, wants to go as a main female character from the Lupin series. Me? Last year and this year, I'll be going as Ash Ketchem in a maid-cafe uniform. He only wore it once, in a newer episode, and I'm surprised no one ever does his Ashley outfit from WAY back when the series began. I got some interesting feedback last year at the Poke'Gathering with it. ;D

I also saw the King of the Cosmos from Katamari Damacy three years ago, with a boom box playing his theme tune. It was well worth the picture.

I'd like to see a Pence from Kingdom Hearts occasionally, because fat guys need love, too.

• 2 weeks later...

ah. yeah...obscure cosplays?

well...pita-ten isn't exactly well known...

it's not exactly invisible either...but still.

i cosplayed as Pajama!Shia for I-kon 08. haha.

i got several picture requests, but they didn't know who i was cosplaying as. ^^;;

BUT there was this one girl who recognized me. lol.

she totally rocked and made my day.

coincidentally, i ran into her at animenext 09, too.

too bad i didn't bring my shia cosplay. =\

but i shall be dragging my adorable lil shia to otakon this year! =D

i hope people will recognize~

At Tekko '08, I saw a group from the Godchild manga...I was really impressed! They had all of the main characters, in splendid detail, and I haven't seen that before or since.

Something that could be considered (sort of) obscure is Chiyo from Azumanga Daioh in her penguin costume. I saw one at Tekko '09, and was kind of in awe. It was so cute! I haven't seen that one anywhere else, either.

Occasionally I see a Shishio from Samurai X/Rurouni Kenshin , so that is pretty rare, but I think I'm the only person I've known who went as one of Juppongatana - last year I was Yūkyūzan Anji, the fallen monk who teaches Sanosuke the Futae no Kiwami (punch that makes things explode!). I see at least a Kenshin each year, and one or two Sanosuke's as well, so going by that, I suppose that, for being so popular, cosplays from the anime are fairly rare. I don't think I've ever seen any of the female characters at all.

This year it's a slightly more common character - Ginko from Mushishi. I've had to learn how to wear contacts to get this one, so yay for that?

Edited by arzamas

The majority of my cosplays tend to be pretty obscure, both because my tastes in anime run on the less-mainstream side and because I tend to like the secondary characters more anyway. What's worse, a LOT of those costumes are not only hard to recognize, they're made out of "normal" clothes, so a lot of people don't even realize it's a costume at all! Naota's Dad from FLCL and Stoner from Eureka Seven are both perfect examples of that.

(to REALLY go off the deep end of obscurity, this year I'm going to walk around dressed as The Nostalgia Critic and see if even one person notices it's a costume)

I don't know if you would call it obscire but I am heavy set guy so I tend to do cosplays that are more heavy setted such as last year I went as Gluttony from Fullmetal Alchemist, I know that isn't really obscure, this year I am going down as Woodney.

Woodney is a character only seen for like a total 6 or 7 episodes of Black Cat and has a total of maybe 45 minutes of air time. Also he is only in the anime not the manga so he isn't well know by manga followers so hopefully there will some people that will reconize me.

After this year though I am going hit the gym and shed the weight not just for health issues but also so I have a wider variety of characters to chose from.

You could also think of Buccha from Air Gear for next year if the gym plan fails. I know I am in decent shape, but I am still rather heavy set. So I have done a good bit of research into those kinds of characters.

I am actually going to be doing two obscure characters. At least I think I will. Amarao from FLCL and Maiza from Baccano!. So I'll see if anyone can recognize my Baccano one or not.

procrastination it uh....oh well I'll think of it later!

I've seen a few Chads when Bleach just started getting popular. But yeah, not a whole lot suprisingly compared to all the Bleach cosplays there are.

I'm cosplaying a character from the MMO Florensia. Probably can't even count it as a character.. just the magic knight class in general. I don't expect to get recognized, but I'm having hella-lotta fun making the darned thing. (which I seriously need to consider finishing by tonight.) @@