Newbies Thread!

Hello all,

I decided to create a thread where everybody who has never been to Otakon

can come together.

Going to a new convention (and/or a new city) can be a little scary,

especially if this is your 1st con ever.

So, as this being my 1st Otakon ever and only my 2nd anime con,

I figured that all the newbies can come together in one place,

to talk about their fears/anticipation/etc.

Maybe we can for some type of "newbie group",

especially for those of us who are coming alone.

And most of all,

Kill time until Otakon 09!

This will be my first Otakon but I've been to AWA four times so I'm not feeling too terribly nervous about it. Although I'll be traveling up by train and I've never done that before and I've also never been to Baltimore. *G*

We're not sure as to whether we are taking a road trip or catching a train in NYC. I've been to several anime conventions, but I have never been to one of this size. If only I had more money! xD This will be my first Otakon, and I am extremely excited. The Dealer's Room has me drooling already; I can only imagine how many shiny things will be there. I also can't wait to make some new friends, and maybe even a pen pal. I don't think I've actually written a letter by hand, bahaha.

Well this isn't my first time to Otakon, but it is my first time since 2001. So I have all those same fears and anxieties as you guys do. From what I've heard it will be like going to a brand new convention from how it was back then.

@onsenmark: I see that your location is southeastern, VA - there is another con down there called Nekocon. They are located in Hampton, VA. That con is coming up, I think, in june.

But still definately try and make it to otakon!

I am def. worried about a lot of things... I have a friend that has been going since like 2001 and he loves it, but also says that it has changed quite a bit since he first started going, and that there are a lot more rules than their used to be.......... but I guess I'm a little nervous also cause its actually been like 4 years since I have even seen him (lol... moving to a western state stinks!!)

anyway the Amtrax suggestion is a good one, but I kinda wanted to drive it... although I don't think I have ever driven that far... plus I have to drive through PA, because the friend I am going with goes to school in Delhi and I have to pick him up first.... thats gonna be nuts!!!

ohh and this is my frist year @ Otakon, and actually my first con ever! I was suppossed to go to the Comic Con, in Cali 2007, but everyone that was gonna go with me bailed... so yup... for me it's a first all around!!!

I am def. worried about a lot of things... I have a friend that has been going since like 2001 and he loves it, but also says that it has changed quite a bit since he first started going, and that there are a lot more rules than their used to be. . .
Katsucon 15 was my first con and I will go to Otakon! I bet it's going to be awesome!!! Newbies FTW!!! :(

w0000000000000t XD

If Katsu was your first con, then Otakon is gonna be a HUGE, but pleasant, surprise ^.^ Having been to otakon three times now, AUSA twice, and Katsu once.... I've gotta say Otakon is a completely different experience from any of them. Hope all of you enjoy your first times coming!

@onsenmark: I see that your location is southeastern, VA - there is another con down there called Nekocon. They are located in Hampton, VA. That con is coming up, I think, in june.

IIRC, Neko is usually held around early November, but don't hold me to that.

*checks website, just in case*

Yup, November 6-8 this year. ^^;

Anime Next is in June in Somerset, NJ. ^.^

IIRC, Neko is usually held around early November, but don't hold me to that.

*checks website, just in case*

Yup, November 6-8 this year. ^^;

Well, it is great to see I'm not going to be the only one who is going to be new.

Thanks for all the comments from the newbies

and the advice from the people who have been before!

and keep them coming!

Edited by webyugioh
My advice for newbies: if you are thinking about cosplaying but you are not sure because you're shy.... don't be! thousands and thousands of people at otakon cosplay during the whole weekend [and even thursday]. They also flood out into the streets and wander around the inner harbor in costume - walking in and out of stores and resturants. It kinda becomes a normal sight during this weekend that you dont really get stared at that much by locals...... they are kinda used to it. I was shy back in 2007 when I first started cosplaying but quickly got over it when I got to the con. So if you are like me, don't be shy at all.

This is going to be my first con, and also my first Otakon...obviously.

I'm a little bit nervous, but I'm going with my best friend, who went last year. I was actually supposed to go last year but transportation and money issues prevented me. I'm feeling a little bit more comfortable because my whole group went to Otakon last year, so it's not going to be a huge group of newcomers like last year for them.

I'm also completely comfortable with the cosplay situation. I'm going to cosplay all three days with three costumes for each day with a bottle of Febreeze. So I guess I'm covered for the B.O. situation I hear so much about with cosplayers.

I can't wait for July!

As is Anime Mid-Atlantic(which, I'm guessing, is what a previous poster was thinking of when she mentioned Neko. ^^; I'd have edited my own post to reflect, but oops! no edit button.)

Yes, that's what I ment. I got the cons mixed up :blink:

My advice for newbies: if you are thinking about cosplaying but you are not sure because you're shy.... don't be! thousands and thousands of people at otakon cosplay during the whole weekend [and even thursday]. They also flood out into the streets and wander around the inner harbor in costume - walking in and out of stores and resturants. It kinda becomes a normal sight during this weekend that you dont really get stared at that much by locals...... they are kinda used to it. I was shy back in 2007 when I first started cosplaying but quickly got over it when I got to the con. So if you are like me, don't be shy at all.

Personally I'm more nervous about going into my hotel the day before, then going in and out the next day in cosplay! >.<

Still, I'm sure I'll get over it quickly. I'm so excited though. Like, yeah. Wow.

Yes, that's what I ment. I got the cons mixed up :)

Personally I'm more nervous about going into my hotel the day before, then going in and out the next day in cosplay! >.<

Still, I'm sure I'll get over it quickly. I'm so excited though. Like, yeah. Wow.

This will be my first Otakon and anime convention overall, and I'm psyched!

I've heard (and seen ala youtube) so many good things about Otakon and wanted to go a few years back but my finances were not in the best shape.

Now, I've got my wings and I'm ready to go! Now if only July could get here faster. YEAH!!!!

Yay for Otakon first-timers! XD AUSA 08 was my very first ever con, and then I'm going to Otakon this year. I'm really excited about it though, being as AUSA was so much fun. I like the adventure of being somewhere new and meeting new people.

Katsu 15 was my first con and this will be my first year attending Otakon, but I'm very excited about it. I'm going down with a group of friends, same group that I went to Katsu with, so it should be a lot of fun. ^^

So, yeah... this'll be my first year, as I can finally get a group this year.

I went to Baltimore Comic-Con last year, but that's all I've ever been to in general.

So, any need to sign up early? I don't have the spare cash right now, but still...

Oh, and what are the hours on things with this? I'm going to have to work out my schedule for this...

And yeah, what kind of deals can I expect, particularly on manga, in print and out of print?

A lot of your questions can be answered in the 'Tips and Hints' thread in the Q&A forum.

But, here's the quick list :D

1. You do not need to pre-register. Registration is also available at the door. However, pre-registering speeds things up considerably for you, and once you're registered, you're eligible for members-only contests that we run throughout the year.

2. Typically there is programming available from 9am-2am on Friday and Saturday, and 9am-2pm on Sunday. The dealer's room (where you can buy things) is open for eight hours on Friday and Saturday, and is open for a while on Sunday, too. A full schedule for the year's events, including specific days, times, and locations, is usually published a few days ahead of the convention so that you can get started planning. :)

3. Some dealers offer better deals than others on the things they sell. That's part of the fun - bargain-hunting, or discovering that one thing you didn't realize you absolutely needed. :)

This will be my first year as well. Although I am not a con newbie (I have been to Supanova, Animania, Smash, AI-con, AV-con, (all Australian cons) comic con in San Diego, Comiket in Tokyo and Wonderfest also in Tokyo.), it is my first time to Otakon. Been trying to get to Otakon for years now, and this year it seems that everything falls into place correctly.

This will be my first year as well. Although I am not a con newbie (I have been to Supanova, Animania, Smash, AI-con, AV-con, (all Australian cons) comic con in San Diego, Comiket in Tokyo and Wonderfest also in Tokyo.), it is my first time to Otakon. Been trying to get to Otakon for years now, and this year it seems that everything falls into place correctly.

Wow, that is impressive.

So in other words you are coming all the way from Australia?

That's got to be one heck of a plane ride!

Haha, webyugioh - your avatar is making me laugh. I don't really get why he's representing the Japanese language, but I'll just go with it! :D

This will be my first Otakon. It's also my first time riding a train, going on an airplane since before 9/11 (um... about 8 years?), going to an out-of-state con, going to a con of this size, staying with strangers, going to such a big city - and I'm really exciting about all of it. I'm hoping to have at least 3 new costumes sewn too. Yay!

My wife and I will be attending Otakon--and Baltimore--for the first time this year! Here's my question: Is safely driving/navigating the area near the Baltimore Convention Center possible? We've driven in Boston, Philly, and so forth with no problems, but NYC was a NIGHTMARE to drive in. Our hotel is only a block or two from the BCC--should we be able to reach it okay?

My wife and I will be attending Otakon--and Baltimore--for the first time this year! Here's my question: Is safely driving/navigating the area near the Baltimore Convention Center possible? We've driven in Boston, Philly, and so forth with no problems, but NYC was a NIGHTMARE to drive in. Our hotel is only a block or two from the BCC--should we be able to reach it okay?
Good question as I will also be driving from NYC to the con. How friendly (or tricky) is it towards those who are driving on the wrong side of the road on the wrong side of the car? (Australia drives on the right hand side of the car and on the left hand side of the road.)
Good question as I will also be driving from NYC to the con. How friendly (or tricky) is it towards those who are driving on the wrong side of the road on the wrong side of the car? (Australia drives on the right hand side of the car and on the left hand side of the road.)

I wouldn't drive from NYC to Baltimore. I would take the Train. Amtrak runs a comfortable and affordable service that takes 3 hours and about $60 one way to Baltimore. Greyhound Bus runs for $20 from Baltimore to DC and takes about 4 hours. If you are going to spend alot of time outside of Downtown, that is the only time I would drive from NYC to Baltimore. Parking can easily run for three days anywhere between $30 and $50.

I wouldn't drive from NYC to Baltimore. I would take the Train. Amtrak runs a comfortable and affordable service that takes 3 hours and about $60 one way to Baltimore. Greyhound Bus runs for $20 from Baltimore to DC and takes about 4 hours. If you are going to spend alot of time outside of Downtown, that is the only time I would drive from NYC to Baltimore. Parking can easily run for three days anywhere between $30 and $50.

Yes, but it would cost my wife and I *A LOT* more than $30-$50 plus gas to take the Amtrak from Upstate New York. Like, hundreds more. Is Baltimore near the BCC so terrible for driving that it's absolutely avoid at all cost? Because if the problem is just paying for parking, it's no problem at all...

Hmm.. well i have been to Otakon a couple times but this time is gonna be different... I'm actually gonna do stuff other than play video games (*sniffle* its gonna be hard though)

Normaly i'll get so sucked into playing video games that i forget about the entire con... and next thing i know everyone is being shuffled out of the game room cause its closing... HAHA..

Anyways this year, like i said, ima try to "attend" the convention.. You know, goto panels (prolly only ones pertaining to hentai), wondering around aimlessly, making it to the dealers room before they close, gawk at super cute and major hotties cosplay (mmm bunnygirls, asians, and maids... doesn't get much better) and maybe watch the masquarde.(sp?)

So it all should be good fun... Though i really want a group of new, interesting people to hang out with.. so pm me or give me shout of facebook if u wanna be part of that group.

ALso, if u havent notice yet, im a complete pervert, but dont mind me so much... just blame my dad hes the one who made me like that

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.