Newbies Thread!

Yes, but it would cost my wife and I *A LOT* more than $30-$50 plus gas to take the Amtrak from Upstate New York. Like, hundreds more. Is Baltimore near the BCC so terrible for driving that it's absolutely avoid at all cost? Because if the problem is just paying for parking, it's no problem at all...
ALso, if u havent notice yet, im a complete pervert, but dont mind me so much... just blame my dad hes the one who made me like that

Well, when you go to a place with more exhibitionists per square meter than any where else on the east coast,

some things are bound to happen.

I like to take the approach of a polite pervert :)

If someone is willing to show that much skin in a place with 25k+ people,

then most of the time they will let you take a picture of them,

as long as you ask politely.

Either that or buy some good shades...

Topic Please

We were only talking about what every newbie needs to know about...

Which is fine, but when the topic starts getting side comments, it starts going OT. If you have further comments or questions about this, please direct them to me personally via PM.

/Resume topic of being Newbies to Otakon.

Those "hotel ridden" cons is all I have been too, (Anime USA)

so that is all I am going off of for my first Otakon trip.

This forum has really helped me prepare for it,

like throwing out the idea of trying to do everything :)

Edited by Asrial Dune
Combined double post
^_^ Well, this'll be my first Otakon event for me (as a seller) I used to go with my sis when I was younger, (But I couldn't buy anything!) xD I'm going to be a nervous wreck when I'm there..

Firakoshadow

My first time at the con was 2001 and we had the same problem. They had a home game right during the middle of saturday which made it horrible to try and get inside. They had policemen directing traffic and pretty much not doing anything for the congoers that were trying to cross the street.

My wife and I will be attending Otakon--and Baltimore--for the first time this year! Here's my question: Is safely driving/navigating the area near the Baltimore Convention Center possible? We've driven in Boston, Philly, and so forth with no problems, but NYC was a NIGHTMARE to drive in. Our hotel is only a block or two from the BCC--should we be able to reach it okay?

If you are worried about navigating, I would definitely avoid the mere thought of driving THROUGH the city, but the inner harbor is fairly close to I-95. As long as you come in from underneath then you should be fine. Not to say that obsessing over a map or (meaning and) having a GPS [you can trust to know about 1-way streets] will make life much less stressful.

Hi, This would be my second time going to Otakon, but I'm still fairly new. I was walking around most of last year wondering where everything is. I did a cosplay last year (soul reaper), and it didnt really turn out so well, but I want to know exactly what to do, where to go, and WHAT TO KNOW! I've been to some small cons before, but nothing tops Otakon in my opinion. I was overwhelmed last year, BUT THIS YEAR I WANT TO BE PREPAIRED!

The best way to be prepared is to read through the Tips and Hints thread in the General Forum, the Newbies thread here, and the other threads about things you want to see or do.

You should also keep an eye out on the Otakon website, because that's where we'll announce guests, deadlines for registration(s), contests, etc.

^_^ Chances are, any questions you might want to ask have been asked before, so look around before you ask. :)

The best way to be prepared is to read through the Tips and Hints thread in the General Forum, the Newbies thread here, and the other threads about things you want to see or do.

You should also keep an eye out on the Otakon website, because that's where we'll announce guests, deadlines for registration(s), contests, etc.

^_^ Chances are, any questions you might want to ask have been asked before, so look around before you ask. :)

Yeah... ZGL is pretty much right... Almost any and all types of questions have been asked and correctly answered somewhere on these forums and their very easy to locate normally XD

Since youve already gone once and have gotten the hard part of preperation out of the way (beating the idea of the cons shear size into your skull) there isnt much more you can prepare for except for maybe learning about a few small details you may have missed along the way

But then again every year is a new year and brand new and exciting events are always bound to happen so truely the only way to grasp these things is to see them first hand...

I mean even I ( a few time con goer) have still never attended a panel becuase i was so busy with other things (which i plan on attending at least one this year along with obtaining a VA's autograph)

But in all if you find your stuck on something dont even hesitate to ask the question here or on the Q&A section of the forums... you can expect a prompt and correct answer from the admins along with the extra 2 cents thrown in by random non-admin members ^_^

Yeah... ZGL is pretty much right... Almost any and all types of questions have been asked and correctly answered somewhere on these forums and their very easy to locate normally XD

Since youve already gone once and have gotten the hard part of preperation out of the way (beating the idea of the cons shear size into your skull) there isnt much more you can prepare for except for maybe learning about a few small details you may have missed along the way

But then again every year is a new year and brand new and exciting events are always bound to happen so truely the only way to grasp these things is to see them first hand...

I mean even I ( a few time con goer) have still never attended a panel becuase i was so busy with other things (which i plan on attending at least one this year along with obtaining a VA's autograph)

But in all if you find your stuck on something dont even hesitate to ask the question here or on the Q&A section of the forums... you can expect a prompt and correct answer from the admins along with the extra 2 cents thrown in by random non-admin members :)

My wife and I will be attending Otakon--and Baltimore--for the first time this year! Here's my question: Is safely driving/navigating the area near the Baltimore Convention Center possible? We've driven in Boston, Philly, and so forth with no problems, but NYC was a NIGHTMARE to drive in. Our hotel is only a block or two from the BCC--should we be able to reach it okay?
Edited by Gremlich
  • 2 weeks later...

w00t, Otan00bs.

I've never been to a huge con like Otakon before, but I'm not that nervous about it. (I mean, nervous, as in ON SNAPPPP)

The only think I'm 'oh snap' nervous about is the possibility of my mom making us ride the Greyhound over to Baltimore. Haaaa!

I should look into Amtrak, though. Train wouldn't be that bad.

Anyways, hi. ;D I'm a n00b.

Edited by catch-some-air
w00t, Otan00bs.

I've never been to a huge con like Otakon before, but I'm not that nervous about it. (I mean, nervous, as in ON SNAPPPP)

The only think I'm 'oh snap' nervous about is the possibility of my mom making us ride the Greyhound over to Baltimore. Haaaa!

I should look into Amtrak, though. Train wouldn't be that bad.

Anyways, hi. ;D I'm a n00b.

• 3 weeks later...

I'vebeento Baltimore Comic-Con, Wizard World Philly and a horror con before, but I understand that Otakon is huge (I'm expecting Wizard World siz, anyone know how accurate or not that is?), and I know that there are things that make it unique. Those are the things that I hope to experience on this, my first Otakon. I will look around the dealer room a little, the artist alley a little, might see a panel if there's something interesting enough, but those are things I've exerienced at other cons. I already know about the Rave, and intend to attend. I also plan to try to cosplay my first time.

What other unique and different things does Otakon offer that you recommend a newbie like me check out?

hello guyss...

this might be my first time at the con too...

i`m kinda nervous actuallyyy

i`ve heard stories [both good & bad]

but otakon is gonna be like a slap in the face for me hehe *gulp*

I'm so nervous. ^^; This is my first Otakon (not my first convention altogether, though), I'm going alone, and I'm from Ohio. Whooo~!

I don't understand what there is to be afraid of. When I went to my first Otakon, I wasn't scared. I was excited about going some place that would have a lot of merchandise I couldn't get anywhere else (at that time, at least) and watching any new fansubs they were showing that I hadn't seen yet, like the Evangelion movie. Albeit, the situation is a bit different than 11 years ago of course, more mainstream, more people and the stuff shown and in the dealers room isn't as obscure, and as exciting to find, as it was in years past.

I don't think there's anything to be afraid of; if anything, that puts undue anxiety on something that should be fun. Don't put a scary face on something that above all else is purely for enjoyment.

I'vebeento Baltimore Comic-Con, Wizard World Philly and a horror con before, but I understand that Otakon is huge (I'm expecting Wizard World siz, anyone know how accurate or not that is?), and I know that there are things that make it unique. Those are the things that I hope to experience on this, my first Otakon. I will look around the dealer room a little, the artist alley a little, might see a panel if there's something interesting enough, but those are things I've exerienced at other cons. I already know about the Rave, and intend to attend. I also plan to try to cosplay my first time.

What other unique and different things does Otakon offer that you recommend a newbie like me check out?

hello guyss...

this might be my first time at the con too...

i`m kinda nervous actuallyyy

i`ve heard stories [both good & bad]

but otakon is gonna be like a slap in the face for me hehe *gulp*

No worries, we can get slapped together.

Or slap each other.

Er...

What?

Hi, this is m first time going to Otakon, and I have a question. All of my friends who might attend are at least 13 years old. However, I have this one friend who's 11.... I'm just wondering, would his parent have to preregister as well (since children below 12 have to be accompanied by adults?)? Also, 13 year olds can run around the convention freely, right? :lol:

Not my first time, but my first in a while! Will be flying in from Japan, but my plane is going to Dullus. -.- Little... miscommunication between me and some friends. I originally didn't think we would be going to Baltimore on the 16th, but now we are. Oh well, it only means they have to take the east, more traffic intense route to Baltimore, than the west, less traffic intense route.

Driving in Baltimore can be pretty bad, but if you take 95 to 395, and get off at the Howard Street Exit, the Convention Center is going to be right there on your right. Its hard to miss. The most confusing part about Baltimore is the one way streets. -.-

On a side note, I am looking forward to the less crowded Otakon. The most crowded I have ever seen Baltimore was the year the Orioles were playing the Yankees. Regardless, even that year wasn't half as crowded as Kobe/Osaka during rush hour, or Tokyo... -.- Or the Lake Biwa Fireworks where we were packed into train cars and you couldn't move. Or the Gion Matsuri in Kyoto, where the center of Kyoto is literally wall to wall people and the temperature is somewhere around 40 degrees Celsius. -.-

Yes... I look forward to my vacation in Baltimore. ;p

Edited by MrBlinker
Driving in Baltimore can be pretty bad, but if you take 95 to 395, and get off at the Howard Street Exit, the Convention Center is going to be right there on your right. Its hard to miss.

Just to clarify, if you take 95 to 395, you won't have to exit onto Howard Street. 395 becomes Howard Street once you pass the exit for Martin Luther King, Jr Blvd - the BCC is the intersection of Howard and Pratt.

Driving in Baltimore can be pretty bad, but if you take 95 to 395, and get off at the Howard Street Exit, the Convention Center is going to be right there on your right. Its hard to miss.

Just to clarify, if you take 95 to 395, you won't have to exit onto Howard Street. 395 becomes Howard Street once you pass the exit for Martin Luther King, Jr Blvd - the BCC is the intersection of Howard and Pratt.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! this is my very first otakon as well and I live in baltimore so Ive finally had some courage to come to otakon. as i would like to group up with others instead of going there being lost and confused. thanks!

This will be my first con overall and even though I keep hearing it will be overwhelming I am pretty stubborn and don't think that. All I am really worried about is figuring out what to do and where everything is. But yeah, along with being my first con, this will also be my first time cosplaying. I am going as Kisuke Urahara from Bleach. Also, can someone tell me a little about what panels and the masquerade are? Thanks.

Also, can someone tell me a little about what panels and the masquerade are? Thanks.

Panels are discussions given or led by an expert fan or by someone who works in the industry. Topics vary widely - Otakon tries to select fan panelists presenting about Japanese and east Asian culture and similar topics, but a panel can be about any topic. You'll also see panels led by Otakon's guests. Industry representatives - people who work for companies like Bandai, Funimation, and Gaia Online, among others - also usually have a panel or two at Otakon to discuss what's coming up for their company, new releases, premieres, and other interesting stuff.

The masquerade is the con's Main Event. Congoers in cosplay perform original skits on a stage in front of a large audience - at Otakon, the masquerade venue's capacity is more than 10,000 people. At the end of the show, prizes are awarded by the Masquerade's judges. If you've never been to one, defintely check it out. :)

This will be my first Otakon (and con for that matter) ever! I am quite excited but just a little nervous :D I've been reading over all the tips and such from this forum. I think one of the best tips I have gotten is: have fun! My friend has gone to Otakon so I know I can pester him if I have any questions! I will be arriving Thursday so I also get some time to explore Baltimore (which I haven't done in a long time!)

Also, can someone tell me a little about what panels and the masquerade are? Thanks.

Panels are discussions given or led by an expert fan or by someone who works in the industry. Topics vary widely - Otakon tries to select fan panelists presenting about Japanese and east Asian culture and similar topics, but a panel can be about any topic. You'll also see panels led by Otakon's guests. Industry representatives - people who work for companies like Bandai, Funimation, and Gaia Online, among others - also usually have a panel or two at Otakon to discuss what's coming up for their company, new releases, premieres, and other interesting stuff.

The masquerade is the con's Main Event. Congoers in cosplay perform original skits on a stage in front of a large audience - at Otakon, the masquerade venue's capacity is more than 10,000 people. At the end of the show, prizes are awarded by the Masquerade's judges. If you've never been to one, defintely check it out. :)

This will be my second Otakon.

I just realized that I will be going with two people who have never been to a con before. I hope they're up for my usual con routine; wake up super early, get in line for stuff super early, eat just enough to stay alive, raid convenience stores, attempt to find places to sit when it's time to eat a full meal, going back to the hotel extremely tired, play games or read manga rather than go to sleep and finally go to sleep super late.

:)

Edited by Sniple

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.