Making a new thread after a mod's recommendation.

But anyway, Tigercon was Towson Anime Club's first stab at doing a con of our own. We did better than anybody could have anticipated. 400 or so people. No major complaints. Nothing blew up. And everybody had fun. So we're doing it again. And oh yeah, like last year, it's FREE.

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Towson University

University Union

I'm working on getting the guests together. It's going to be a heck of a time.

http://www.tigercon.org

The website will be updated over the next week or so (my laptop is in the shop, so redoing everything will have to wait for then).

i have friends that go to towson...so perhaps next year i'll check it out. you cant be a free price tag. I'm surprised you guys had fun despite the lack of explosions. Every good con has some explosions...well, to me anyway.

do you guys have any ideas on guests?

Yes, we are free. Believe it. 2008's event was sponsored by us (an SGA-budgeted group), the Campus Activities Board and Asian Arts and Culture Center. We're working on securing 2009 sponsors. That said, there's a donate button on the site. If you'd like to use it, it'd be much appreciated. There are some things we can't get money for from the SGA.

Guests... I can't really say quite yet, but we may be reaching outside the box for some stuff. We're open to suggestions, of course.

Edited by Aresef
  • 1 month later...

the first few years are always rough, i am glad to see ya made it though, hey mabey next year you can gun for a 2 day con :)

I doubt that's going to happen just for logistical and cost reasons. People are usually doing something with the Union on Friday (not to mention some rooms are unavailable) and half the campus is hung over on Sunday. And if we did it, we would need to pay for equipment rentals twice. However, we are looking at getting better late-night programming and then putting up the money to keep the building open a few extra hours.

Also, I'm working on redoing the website right now, so hang tight.

Edited by Aresef

Hey Tyler, If you're looking for a musical act, if you dont have another one already in mind, or want an opening act or something, my band would'nt mind playing Tigercon 09. We're almost all local in terms of MD based, one of our guys is in Philly, but we would love to play for you guys. Check us out, www.myspace.com/eyedolu.

It's on the other side of the Baltimore Beltway. Takes me about an hour to get to DC from my house near the campus, for reference.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm so bummed...I GO to Towson and I couldn't make it last year...

I'll definately try for this year though.

I'm glad it went well (:

Yeah, you're not the first person to be absolutely bummed over missing the fun last year. But we'll make it up to you.

We just had a staff meeting the other day. We have a few guest prospects I can't talk about except to say they're the result of some thinking outside the box. We're also planning a pretty awesome masquerade. We've secured the whole University Union building, which is really going to give us some breathing room. The photo suit will be in an actual room, etc.

Oh, speaking of which, Towson's director of photographic services (also a Japanese professor, hehe) sent me this link to all the cosplay photos he took.

http://tigercon2008.shutterfly.com/23

(I'm photo 0081, cosplaying the overworked con staffer walking by.)

Edited by Aresef
  • 2 weeks later...

Hate to bump, but the switch on the website has been flipped (see my signature) and the first flyers are out at Balticon. Registration, volunteering, cosplay and other information will be up in short order.

hey hun,

not sure if you remember me but i'm the president of the anime club that did the kawaii cafe ^^

if you'd like to do that again, I can put you in touch with next years club leaders or we can arrange something ^-^

my email is, flyintaterofdoom@aol.com if you'd like to get in touch

Aresef, you should add directions for those using only public transport. I did not use a car for the first time I went to Tigercon, I used Amtrak and MTA bus for the trip to the University. For the trip back home, I used MTA Bus and MTA Light Rail and walked the rest of the way to Penn Station.

Towson is directly accessible via the 3 and 8 routes on the York Road side and 11 on the Towsontown Boulevard side. If you're coming from Penn Station, the 11 will get you there. I'll work in an MTA Trip planner link on the website when I get the chance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Look for us at table B09 in the Artist Alley (we'll have the Towson Anime banner). We'll have one of our artists doing commissions and we'll be distributing flyers about the con.

• 2 weeks later...

Props to everybody who dropped by the table. We had a ton of fun in the alley.

A lot of people are listing this thread as where they heard about the con, which does my heart good.

Just announced a couple more guests: Rare Candy (who played in Club Otaku... their keyboarder ran the room so yeah) and Ten Elevenths, a local chiptune act. Working on a few more... being up against NYAF and SPX isn't helping us much in that department.

And if you want to be a panelist, masquerade participant, volunteer... by all means, go through the site and let us know. We need the warm bodies!

so can't wait for tigercon...just herd some inside news that has me going but ima stay hushed lol

actually a guy i work with, he told me it was his nephew that arranged tigercon...aresef if your like head of tigercon you might know him, the guy who told me his name is Mac McGraw??? but anyway can't wait gonna try and bring a few ppls with me!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure what kind of inside news you heard, but I don't know a Mac McGraw. Must have been somebody else on the team.

Working on the schedule... definitely register for a shot at some Eureka Seven tickets.

its no fun or longer inside newss cause its now on the website but the abridged yugioh coming to tigercon lol

oh i never saw it on the old site...but alas i dont think i'll be able to attend tigercon for the 1st Washington capitals convention falls on the same day that and i have no one to go with

to everyone that goes have fun and i hope all goes well!

• 2 weeks later...

It's great to see alumni turning out. Since it's not a gameday, we're trying to find some unique ways to work in some elements of school spirit... and that's all I have to say about that.

We asked Paws (first floor cybercafe, the only place to eat in the building that day) to carry sushi for the day, and they're hooking us up. Though when I told the manager how many people to expect, I think I may have given him a bit of a heart attack.

• 3 weeks later...

Lovely convention you guys had today. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was amusing to see the school tours going on at the same time with a bunch of us doing crazy ---- around them. Only downfall is the self awareness that I dropped the ball with atleast 2 females there.

Lovely convention you guys had today. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was amusing to see the school tours going on at the same time with a bunch of us doing crazy ---- around them. Only downfall is the self awareness that I dropped the ball with atleast 2 females there.