Hotel Price

Question

27 answers to this question

Considering how late in the con year it is, I'd say pretty high, unless you book though Hotwire or Priceline or something. I believe Priceline still has the Sheraton City Center for $139 a night and Hotwire has something for $84.

Hotel totals can run anywhere from 200 to over 2000. All depends on how close you want to be, how nice of a hotel you're looking for, how many nights you're staying and that sort of thing. Just remember that whatever base rate you find, like the Hotwire 84 dollar rate and what not, will have the outrageous hotel tax and assorted other hotel fees may be tacked on later.

Each year hotels have run around 750 for me for Thursday through Sunday, which is then split between 3 to 8 people. If you'd really like to get an idea on prices I'd recommend just looking through Orbitz and Priceline and such looking for the total rates that include tax.

The website has an announcement where there should be a 300 room block opening at the Sheraton City Center opening soon. I would wait to see the official announcement for that room block. It doesn't seem to be on registration website, yet (as of 10 Am this morning when I checked). I like Sheraton's and was thinking about going there over the Days Inn.

Edited by tstidm1

well I think the passkey system got me a better deal. $189 through the passkey versus $198 on Orbitz ( cheapest I could find) at the Hilton hotel

Edited by RTeker

The Sheraton City Center block has opened and it is $140 a night. This is according to the Hotel Reservations site. It is also the only one with rooms available on more than Saturday night. People started booking the day after Otakon rooms for last year.

Edited by tstidm1

We will likely be looking at opening more blocks in the future, although it depends partially on how the current blocks go.

You shouldn't be able to find better room rates than the ones we offer through passkey, although if you do happen to find a lower rate than ours let us know.

The Sheraton City Center block has opened and it is $140 a night. This is according to the Hotel Reservations site. It is also the only one with rooms available on more than Saturday night. People started booking the day after Otakon rooms for last year.

Now Keep in mind that this hotel is 3-4 blocks up the hill... not a bad hotel just a bit of tiring to get too :D:);

It's the former Wyndham, if that helps anyone.

We will likely be looking at opening more blocks in the future, although it depends partially on how the current blocks go.

You shouldn't be able to find better room rates than the ones we offer through passkey, although if you do happen to find a lower rate than ours let us know.

Edited by evaunit01berserk
hey matt, hotels.com is offering the hilton for 169 a night, passkey is offering the hilton for the same price as if you reserve with the hilton directly but with no idea if your going to get a single or double. i cancelled my reserve with passkey and just booked with the hotel directly due to the fact that passkey could'nt guarantee me a double room, while hilton was offering double rooms at the same price OUTSIDE the block.

passkey has been nothing but a headache and nightmare for me

Just out of curiousity, when was the Hilton offering double bed rooms for the same price as Passkey offered? I've been checking in with the Hilton fairly often since September & the lowest rate I've been quoted is $228/night & that's if you pay for the room in advance. Otherwise it's from about $259 & up ratewise.

Thus why I reserved my room thru Passkey, even though I'm still contemplating whether I'll keep it or not due to no guarantee that they'll honor my request for 2 beds. Also I truly doubt I'll be able to get any Hilton Honors points for my stay due to the fact that it was reserved thru a 3rd party.

I really preferred reserving through the hotel directly myself, it was better insurance that you'll get what you originally reserved that way. For the 1st time I am seriously going to be worried till the time I arrive in Baltimore for Otakon that everything will work out alright with my hotel.

I can't help it, everytime I've ever reserved a hotel room through a 3rd party I've never once gotten precisely what I originally reserved. One time I got to the hotel & wound up arguing with Management for over an hour b/c the price they had the room for on my reservation was around $50 more a night than the rate I reserved the room at. I even had my copy of the reservation with me, it didn't matter to them.

Other times when I get there hotels have denied my request for 2 beds or have even told me I never had a reservation at all with them.

So, I'm sure you can understand why I can't help but worry about the Passkey system & will continue to do so until the con.

Just out of curiousity, when was the Hilton offering double bed rooms for the same price as Passkey offered? I've been checking in with the Hilton fairly often since September & the lowest rate I've been quoted is $228/night & that's if you pay for the room in advance. Otherwise it's from about $259 & up ratewise.

Thus why I reserved my room thru Passkey, even though I'm still contemplating whether I'll keep it or not due to no guarantee that they'll honor my request for 2 beds. Also I truly doubt I'll be able to get any Hilton Honors points for my stay due to the fact that it was reserved thru a 3rd party.

it was about 2 weeks ago, i still have the confirmation email if you want to see. i think hotel caught onto the date and jacked the rates up, i just happened to grab it at a lower rate before it went up

The rate went up because the only rooms that are left are the upgraded view rooms, the ballpark and harbor view rooms. The regular ones are all gone. I got a room at the 198 rate months ago directly through Hilton. I was happy to pay the 30 bucks or so to guarantee a two bedded room.

I believe Priceline still has the Sheraton City Center for $139 a night

I doubt $1 really makes a difference, but...

That $1 could be the difference between you and a nice big bowl of ramen noodles

And considering the price of hotel food and NOTHING being open at 2 a.m. that ramen is a necessity :P

And considering the price of hotel food and NOTHING being open at 2 a.m. that ramen is a necessity :P

Now I do agree that it is a great idea to bring some cups of ramen noodles with you, since you'll at least have a coffeemaker in the room to provide hot water.

However, you can't say that nothing is open at 2am. A few years ago that was quite the valid lament, until they opened that 7-11 at the corner of Howard & Baltimore in '06 if I remember correctly.

sheesh, so it take it you guys don't eat dinner if your up at 2 am and hungry :P lol

seriously what about the Hard Rock or the the ESPN Zone that's down near the aquarium? Aren't they open that late or no?

Baltimore rolls up the sidewalks food-wise around 11:30, with the exceptions of some of the hole-in-the-wall bars, and Burke's. Bars close at 2.

This is pretty off-topic, though, so if you don't mind, I'll just steer us back to talking about hotel prices.

yes B.o.T. (Back on Topic)... well as far as I can tell, the closer we are getting to the con the higher prices are going to get. Just checked on Orbitz and the following is what I got in the search for the dates 7-17-09 through 7-19-09

Holiday Inn Express BALTIMORE AT THE STADIUMS from $161 per night--- this is the hotel near the Ravens stadium

Hilton Baltimore from $194 per night--- this is the new one thats connected to the convention center

Hampton Inn Baltimore-Camden Yards from $194 per night--- this one is near the Hilton though just a couple of blocks east of it

Hilton Baltimore from $194 per night--- this is the new one thats connected to the convention center

I find it rather shocking that this hotel still seems to have alot of rooms left. I would have thought that it would sell out fairly quickly since it is connected to the con center and I think that some Otakon things are going to be held in it.

From what pictures I've seen--I'm not local, so I can't actually confirm this--the new Hilton's pretty tiny and has way less rooms than the other hotels in the Inner Harbor. Google says there are 183 guest rooms in the building, compared to the Sheraton's 337, the former Wyndam's 707, the Holiday Inn's 375, or the Day's Inn's 263. Color me confused as to how they're finding so many rooms to give away, too.... I just hope mine's there for me when I get there!

I find it rather shocking that this hotel still seems to have alot of rooms left. I would have thought that it would sell out fairly quickly since it is connected to the con center and I think that some Otakon things are going to be held in it.

From what pictures I've seen--I'm not local, so I can't actually confirm this--the new Hilton's pretty tiny and has way less rooms than the other hotels in the Inner Harbor. Google says there are 183 guest rooms in the building, compared to the Sheraton's 337, the former Wyndam's 707, the Holiday Inn's 375, or the Day's Inn's 263. Color me confused as to how they're finding so many rooms to give away, too.... I just hope mine's there for me when I get there!

I really hope they don't over sell their rooms O.o Luckily my reservation is directly through the hotel and prepaid so there's no chance they can bump me.

Edited by dragonclaw21974
I really hope they don't over sell their rooms O.o Luckily my reservation is directly through the hotel and prepaid so there's no chance they can bump me.

The prepayment part is important, as Passkey allows for drops. For comparable bookings, the price has usually been pretty consistent, and it's just a matter of whether the extra $30/night (interest really) is worth the right to back-out before con. Depending on how things go, I am still considering dropping my Passkey registration to get the lower rate, since that effective interest rate was 15% back in September and has nowhere to go but up as the term decreases.

No, you must be looking at the wrong hotel. The new Hilton isn't small. It has 757 guest rooms. Which I guess answers my question as too why it still has rooms available. I wasn't aware that this new hotel is actually one of if not the largest in the Inner Harbor. Heck even the Hyatt only has 488 rooms.

Ah! I saw my mistake! Those numbers are for the other Hilton, over in Harbor East. Yeah, if they've got the 757 rooms Google says that it does, It's pretty feasible that there would still be rooms. Likely, even, since we've done without those 750-odd rooms for years and people have preferences for other hotels. My mistake.