Anyone in the Baltimore area who's gone before ...

I am going to possibly cut back on the days I attend, but Summer isn't summer unless Otakon is involved. I am also going to Worldcon in Montreal, so that affects my plans as much as anything.

I live in the northern of VA and I'm still going despite how the economy is because if you think about it, you stay home and don't spend money the economy goes down. That goes down, then there will be layoffs for people meaning less money for the economy... and the cycle repeats over and over. So that is why you gotta stand up, give the stock market the bird and go to Baltimore because we otaku that go help stimulate the local economy. Heck, the city loves it when we come and invade ^_^ Sure you can't spend like crazy as one used to do, but doesn't mean that you have to stop your fun activities.... The only thing I've cut out of my life is playing table-top games like Yu-Gi-Oh and Star Wars Miniatures, but I will NOT cut my con time. Its my stress relief of the year

Otakon is my stress reliever. I need it in order to function, even tho im at risk of loosing my job *knock on wood* and not having lots of money to spend, will not stop me from going. It is my vacation and the recession will not stop my otakuness.

Thanx Otakon for stickin around to serve us Otaku's in need!!! :P

I'm actually in a pretty good place, financially speaking. My job is stable, I bought a house I can afford, and I don't carry any large amounts of credit card debt. I have, however, already invested a lot of time and money into my AA table, so I'll be there come hell or high water.

(I did, however, hear a rumor of a rumor that Aramark is going out of business - granted, absolutely no news stories have been posted on the interwebs, but I wonder what that would mean for the con? Source: co-worker's aunt-in-law is an accountant for Aramark; so any information I know is from the Smalltimore grapevine)

I'm actually in a pretty good place, financially speaking. My job is stable, I bought a house I can afford, and I don't carry any large amounts of credit card debt. I have, however, already invested a lot of time and money into my AA table, so I'll be there come hell or high water.

(I did, however, hear a rumor of a rumor that Aramark is going out of business - granted, absolutely no news stories have been posted on the interwebs, but I wonder what that would mean for the con? Source: co-worker's aunt-in-law is an accountant for Aramark; so any information I know is from the Smalltimore grapevine)

I don't see it happening, honestly.

I don't see it happening, honestly.

I live 15 mins by car.. 20-30 by bus (took bus before i had car)

i am already pre-reg in full (paid)in ask for that time off at work..,,, i go even if i had no money

I fly from Northern Ohio every year, I save up a bit to go- you have to spend SOME money to stimulate the economy, and nowhere needs it more than Baltimore! lol...

I am going!!

Edit: Also, if Aramark goes, that WOULD BE FINE with me!! Their food is expensive and low quality. They don't even offer anything Nippon-related there (unless Last year was different, as I wasn't among attendance)...

{mbmblll.. keeping vendors from selling pocky....mmblee}

Edited by Frogsnack

I was thinking about not going this year. My family is getting together for a trip along the west coast during that weekend, ending up in Reno. I don't have the vacation time for both.

I thought about not going for a whole ten minutes. I got better, though.

Edit: Also, if Aramark goes, that WOULD BE FINE with me!! Their food is expensive and low quality. They don't even offer anything Nippon-related there (unless Last year was different, as I wasn't among attendance)...

If you live anywhere between washington, dc and NYC you can travel to otakon very cheap. there's the "china bus" - a name a lot of people use because no one knows its real name, but roundtrip on this bus is $20 and it stops in baltimore. can't beat that. there's also amtrack, but thats not really cheap. and if you live in DC specifically you can literally metro all the way to baltimore - which is what I always do and it cost about $6. Or if you live in the maryland suburbs you can park at the greenbelt metro station and take the B30 bus to BWI airport for $3.

It's probably because there are multiple companies that run buses to and from New York. There are at least four in the DC area that I know of--one from Rockville, MD, one from the business district of DC, and two from DC's Chinatown. I know I've heard of buses that do the New York run from Baltimore, but I don't know from where or how to find them.

The one that I have the most faith in is the Bolt Bus, which is owned by Greyhound. You can reserve a seat online with them. Their schtick is that the first reservation on a bus is $1 (one dollar), the second $2, the third $3, and on up to $20, after which all seats are $20. They also have buses from Philadelphia, but only up to New York.

If you're interested, their website is: https://www.boltbus.com/default.aspx

The one that I have the most faith in is the Bolt Bus, which is owned by Greyhound. You can reserve a seat online with them. Their schtick is that the first reservation on a bus is $1 (one dollar), the second $2, the third $3, and on up to $20, after which all seats are $20. They also have buses from Philadelphia, but only up to New York.

If you're interested, their website is: https://www.boltbus.com/default.aspx

Bolt Bus and Megabus (the latter has a similar fare schedule to Bolt Bus, but is a different company) are both reputable companies with spotless safety records. Mostly they rely on commuters/business travelers/people who are going to make a habit of traveling to and from NYC, rather than the one-timers. But their low-fare applies to anyone, so it can be a good deal.

The Chinatown buses do not have good safety records, nor are the companies in question necessarily reputable. But, you get what you pay for, and your mileage may vary. I'd (personally) recommend sticking with a well-known company like Greyhound, Bolt, Peter Pan, or Megabus.

----

This bus discussion is pretty far off-topic, though, so I'll ask that we move back to the original topic: attending (or not attending) because of/in spite of the economy.

I fly from Northern Ohio every year, I save up a bit to go- you have to spend SOME money to stimulate the economy, and nowhere needs it more than Baltimore! lol...

I am going!!

• 2 weeks later...

nah, I have over 200 saved up, and my birthday is a week before, so I'm all set ;D

• 5 weeks later...

I'm one of the lucky ones who's currently well employed -- but I am saving up for a down payment to buy my own home, so I will be trying to be as thrifty as possible this year whenever I can be. :P Thankfully since I'm only ever looking for merchandise from one series (that is usually not found in large quantities in the Dealer's Room), most of my belt tightening will be in my dining choices this year.

OT but: Mailechan, it's so neat to see a Goldfish Warning icon! There's an anime you don't see much about.

• 2 weeks later...

I may not be able to attend the con due to the fact that I will possibly be in upstate New York due to work. But I've pretty much decided that I am going to go no matter what.

I am skipping A-kon here in Dallas in order to be able to afford Otakon instead. Figured I'd rather spend the money on a much larger and enjoyable con, even if it's way out of state. :P Plus I've been going to Otakon since 2000... not going to stop now. Good news is Otakon is right past my 1 year mark at my job, so I can take vacation. :)

i get paid 5 more times plus have a b-day before otakon i am going on the otakon diet,

(buying on very cheap food for lunch in save for otakon)

worked last few years in getting a bit of cash for the con..

this year i am going as the Dark Sage again... but ever year i make it a bit diff in better,

this year i added a mask,,

(pic from otakon 06)

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r139/TH...3T/DSC00630.jpg

Edited by TEMPLAR333

I lost my job in January, took my severance and started my own business. I don't expect to be profitable and I haven't actually made a dime yet--but Otakon will probably be helping my business not hurting it. I'm still going. wouldn't miss it.

i should be fine around june..definitely can't miss otakon especially since all my boys are going, and they've reserved a hotel. it's gonna be a fun time, indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

I only live 10 minutes away, but I'm actually going to be at the beach! If I come back early I may stop by just because it really isn't summer without Otakon.

Summer just isn't summer without Otakon. My year almost revolves around it. Mainly though because I see friends at Otakon that I really ONLY get to see at Otakon. I've just cut back on things like going out to eat...it's amazing how fast that adds up.

well we will be there broke and tierd well at least me. since i couldent get off work just got an apartment and am learning the hard way what a budget means :_( . and have to go cause i made a promise that id do this for a special some ones bday.... but on the good news my brokeness and over preparation has made me learn to make onigiri and master cute bento boxes in an effort to eat healthy and save money since were there just for all of saturday. now just gotta worry about gas and im golden

I am pretty sure a lot of people actually skipped other conventions or expenses this year just so they CAN go to Otakon. Last year was my first otakon and i couldn't imagine missing out on it. I will be there if i have to pay with pennies found on the sidewalk.

BUT luckily i won't have to do that because 7 months of job hunting FINALLY paid off!

Being staff and actually living in the city means I pretty much have no excuse not to go. Yes, that's right, I've gotten to the point where I need an excuse NOT to go.

I kept going back and forth about going, but then I decided that I couldn't miss it this year. This will be my 5th Otakon (I had to skip 2007 due to work, and it broke my heart). I've been saving up for a while, so I should be okay. Even if I wasn't planning on going, I wouldn't have a choice since my significant other *has* to go (He's staff ). I would be forced to register and attend :P (Not that it would be a bad thing :P)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.