First Timer On The Light Rail ~~~

Question

Howdy Folks :D

Getting excited for Otakon? I sure am !

As this year will be the first year I am going without a parental advisor, I have decided to take Amtrak from New York to Baltimore. As I have read on the Otakon website, it seems the best way to get from Penn Station to the Convention center is the Light Rail *which seems fun*

So I'm just looking for any helpful advice that I need to know as a person using this for the first time.

Specific questions: How early do the Light Rails run?

Is there a light rail that goes from the Convention Center to Penn Station?

How close is The Convention Center to the Holiday Inn, I've heard it's rather close but... I wanna know specifics

Here's some information that might help with the answer to my question----

~ I'm coming in on Thursday Afternoon, Leaving *hopefully* Monday Morning

~ It'll be me and one friend it looks like.

~ I'd rather not take a taxi, unless you highly recommend it *is slighty scared of taxii's*

~ I'm willing to pay any sort of money :)

thank you !!

13 answers to this question

Howdy Folks :)

Getting excited for Otakon? I sure am !

As this year will be the first year I am going without a parental advisor, I have decided to take Amtrak from New York to Baltimore. As I have read on the Otakon website, it seems the best way to get from Penn Station to the Convention center is the Light Rail *which seems fun*

So I'm just looking for any helpful advice that I need to know as a person using this for the first time.

Specific questions: How early do the Light Rails run?

Is there a light rail that goes from the Convention Center to Penn Station?

How close is The Convention Center to the Holiday Inn, I've heard it's rather close but... I wanna know specifics

Here's some information that might help with the answer to my question----

~ I'm coming in on Thursday Afternoon, Leaving *hopefully* Monday Morning

~ It'll be me and one friend it looks like.

~ I'd rather not take a taxi, unless you highly recommend it *is slighty scared of taxii's*

~ I'm willing to pay any sort of money :)

thank you !!

The light rail runs from around 5 AM to 11 PM on weekdays. Fare is $1.60. No turnstiles, but keep your ticket on you in case an MTA cop/fare inspector hops on.

The Penn Station line runs between Penn Station and Camden Yards. The Convention Center stop is on that route.

Yes, the Holiday Inn is very close. It's on the other side of Pratt Street from the Hilton. It's like a block tops from the Light Rail. Can't miss it.

Edited by Aresef
every single time I've rode on the light rail I've noticed that there's no machine or person that checks to see if you paid the fare. is there something that checks?

Board without a ticket, and you may find out--to the tune of a hefty ticket (I think it's $100 or so). They're checked by roving teams of uniformed inspectors, usually backed by transit police with arrest powers.

every single time I've rode on the light rail I've noticed that there's no machine or person that checks to see if you paid the fare. is there something that checks?

Board without a ticket, and you may find out--to the tune of a hefty ticket (I think it's $100 or so). They're checked by roving teams of uniformed inspectors, usually backed by transit police with arrest powers.

Wow... I can't remember the last time it was $3.00 for an all day pass... It was bumped up to $3.50 some time ago -- Either way I wouldn't imaging you needing an all day pass since you are only going one way ($1.60). Make sure you take the SOUTHBOUND train so you don't end up in Timonium or Cromwell... All in all its the best mode of Baltimore's public transportation system (be grateful you don't have to catch the Metro or an actual bus) and you shouldn't run into any problems. Midday and during events you will see more "Fare Inspectors" than usual so make sure you get a ticket.

Wow... I can't remember the last time it was $3.00 for an all day pass... It was bumped up to $3.50 some time ago -- Either way I wouldn't imaging you needing an all day pass since you are only going one way ($1.60). Make sure you take the SOUTHBOUND train so you don't end up in Timonium or Cromwell... All in all its the best mode of Baltimore's public transportation system (be grateful you don't have to catch the Metro or an actual bus) and you shouldn't run into any problems. Midday and during events you will see more "Fare Inspectors" than usual so make sure you get a ticket.