Convenience stores near the BCC?

Question

I know there was a thread about grocery stores near the BCC, but my question is a bit different, so I thought I'd post it in a new thread.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there were any 7-11s or the equivalent thereof near the BCC, for cheapish, kinda eats and snackage. And if a 7-11, Double Gulps FTW.

So, are there any? Thanks in advance.

32 answers to this question

A fair warning that by Saturday morning or noon of Otakon weekend, any "convenience store" reasonably close to the BCC looks like it's been looted in the aftermath of a war or disaster, with any clerks left cowering in the corners in a fetal position, whimpering softly, and naught left to sell you but some decaffeinated off-brand coffee and a jar of something weird like cocktail onions or lemon curry......

It isn't pretty.

Edited by Flying Scotsman
A fair warning that by Saturday morning or noon of Otakon weekend, any "convenience store" reasonably close to the BCC looks like it's been looted in the aftermath of a war or disaster, with any clerks left cowering in the corners in a fetal position, whimpering softly, and naught left to sell you but some decaffeinated off-brand coffee and a jar of something weird like cocktail onions or lemon curry......

It isn't pretty.

Personally, I'm a huuuuuuuuuuuge fan of the Rite Aid. It's now located on Baltimore Street right off the corner of Calvert Street.

Or..

If you are FACING the Raddisson keep walking down the street going right for like two and a half blocks.

It's around the corner from the McDonalds on Calvert.

I don't remember it being very crowded last year.

It isn't pretty.

That's an acurate description of the 7Eleven that's 2 blocks away ^_^

Once you guys are all gone, and the BCC is empty, we staffers have the chance at last to get real food and blow off some steam. Only one year we faced a real problem: we ran out of dessert before quite a few dedicated staffers arrived. So Alice (Volkmar, last year's Prez) and I hopped a cab and ran around the corner....and promptly bought out every snack food item in the (at that time) fairly new 7-11.

It was obvious from their faces that they thought we were on drugs. Because who else lays out cash for a few hundred bucks in snack food at 9pm on a sunday? :)

The Rite Aid and a CVS a little farther down both are awesome for food and drinks...buuut they both close absurdly early. And last year the people at the CVS were less then friendly, at one point calling the police because they freaked out so bad. The police didn't actually do anything, since nobody had actually DONE anything, and just had to explain to the people working there just what was going on. lol.

The 7-11 we go to is the one right across the street from our hotel the Brookshire, and has seriously more employees then I've ever seen working at one time. It was running like a well oiled machine. They super stocked up on the best sellers but even then by Saturday afternoon it was looking a bit like a wasteland.

Anyone know someplace that sells bottled, unsweetened teas? -.- In Japan, you have one door in the konbini as cold canned coffe/coke like drinks/low cal drinks. Then the entire door next to that one is filled with various types of tea, all unsweetened but very delicious.

I know I went to most of the konbini's around my home town during Christmas and couldn't find anything similar. I am thinking I will have to bring my own teabags and make tea then chill it some how.... B)

If you don't mind making a long train ride back and forth, there's a Wegmans at the mall in Hunt Valley, which is at the northern terminus of the Light Rail system, about an hour's ride north of the convention center. It's a food paradise, and they carry a wide selection of both unsweetened and sweetened Ito En teas, as well as other cool stuff from around the world. So, depending on when you're arriving, you can take a few hours to ride up there, stock up, and be all set for the weekend.

At one of the stops on the light rail between Penn Station and the convention center there's a 24 hour CVS. Haven't been to it, but it looked to be pretty good sized, and likely well stocked. Might be a bit of a walk, after the trains stop running.

At one of the stops on the light rail between Penn Station and the convention center there's a 24 hour CVS. Haven't been to it, but it looked to be pretty good sized, and likely well stocked. Might be a bit of a walk, after the trains stop running.

A good alternative to avoid the ever crowded 7-11 (it is indeed always crowded during Otakon. I went in there this past Saturday and I was very not used to how quickly I got in and out!) is the Safeway on Charles Street. It's a few blocks up from the con center, but it's a pretty nice food store. There's also a Whole Foods down in Harbor East, the newish high end area of Downtown Baltimore.

I also urge people before the con to hop on the light rail and take it all the way to Hunt Valley where Wegmans is. I love this place so so so so so very much. They have really good sushi (well, supermarket sushi!) and they have like everything else under the sun.

I have been known, on occasion, to brew a vat of tea and then use water bottles to bring it with me. Just requires a bit of planning.
I have been known, on occasion, to brew a vat of tea and then use water bottles to bring it with me. Just requires a bit of planning.

I have been buying boxes of tea bags here in Japan. ^_^ mugicha! <3<3 I have some rooibos and green tea. Hmm... I may buy some others too. Luckily, tea bags are pretty cheap and light! ;p

Unlike the 3 bottles of ハーブ酒. With the pit viper in it of course! ;D

I know this may not be the best place, but does anyone know a place to get good Belgium beer in Baltimore?

Talking like imports such as Duvel or Tremens Delirium? :P Would be awesome if they were at a convenience store, but I doubt it. -.-

I know this may not be the best place, but does anyone know a place to get good Belgium beer in Baltimore?

Talking like imports such as Duvel or Tremens Delirium? ^_^ Would be awesome if they were at a convenience store, but I doubt it. -.-

I don't think most of the places around the BCC would carry those kinds. Max's in Fells Point (it's a tavern with over 300 kinds of beer) may have it around though!

Talking like imports such as Duvel or Tremens Delirium? ^_^ Would be awesome if they were at a convenience store, but I doubt it. -.-

I don't think most of the places around the BCC would carry those kinds. Max's in Fells Point (it's a tavern with over 300 kinds of beer) may have it around though!

Flying Scotsman, there's a wine store about two blocks from Fleming's and Roy's, on that side of the harbor, that had a few decent beers and ciders. Not nearly the depth of some of your other suggestions, but it was a life saver and would be useful if he happens to be staying on the Aquarium side of Harborplace.

I've also been impressed with two places on the west side of town: Jason's (Ellicott City) and Perfect Pour (175w at Rt 95 in Columbia). Perfect Pour's selection may actually rival Wells'.

Does Beltway Liquors still have a good selection of beer?

There's a liquor store I go too in Federal Hill on Charles Street, called Charles Street Liquors. There's also Federal Hill Wine and Spirits, also on Charles Street. I honestly can't think of any liquor stores in the Inner Harbor (truthfully I've never actually looked). But Federal Hill isn't much of a walk away from the BCC.

Also, if you're checkin' out beers in Baltimore, why not check out our semi-local (if Rehoboth Beach is local) Dogfishhead beers? The Aprihop and 90 Minute IPA varieties are delightful.

I'm risking the wrath of the moderators for veering so far off topic, but I'm older than most of them and don't give a flying dogfish what they think for the most part, so.... :D

If Mr. Blinker is asking about Duvel or Delirium Tremens, he knows what he's asking about, and Dogfish Head beers would be an interesting distraction, but a detour from what he really wants. (Yo, Blinker, how about Delirium Noel, or Delirium Nocturnem? Or Cantillon, or Fantome, or Westmalle, or Chimay, or Affligem, or Corsendonk, or Kwak, or de Koninck, or Dupont, or......)

There are hardcore beer fans who could set up shop in Max's for three days straight just sampling different beers and not run into the same beers they can get at home, if they had enough money. Or he could just go across the street from the BCC to the Pratt Street Ale House (formerly the Wharf Rat)--not as much variety, but good beer.

If Mr. Blinker is actually coming from Japan, I openly invite him (and other interested serious beer geeks) for a pub crawl or beer trip on Thursday night, provided I'm in town that night................

Edited by MrBlinker

Topic, please (convenience stores near the BCC).

If you'd like to keep talking about beer/bars in Baltimore, please take it to PMs or to another thread.

Thanks!

Flying Scotsman, there's a wine store about two blocks from Fleming's and Roy's, on that side of the harbor, that had a few decent beers and ciders. Not nearly the depth of some of your other suggestions, but it was a life saver and would be useful if he happens to be staying on the Aquarium side of Harborplace.

I've also been impressed with two places on the west side of town: Jason's (Ellicott City) and Perfect Pour (175w at Rt 95 in Columbia). Perfect Pour's selection may actually rival Wells'.

Does Beltway Liquors still have a good selection of beer?