Thursday Pre-reg line

In the past few years people have made standing in line Thursday night an event in its own. I haven't done this personally - I only drive up from DC, stare at awe at all the people, pick up my badge, and then go back home. This year however I am thinking about being a bit more adventurous. I would like to try and get in line early with all the other nutcases to see what it's like. :ph34r:

I'm sure that any staffers reading this post will tell me one of two things:

1. Don't get in line early

2. drink water until you drown

I will bring plenty of water with me - I am not a newbie and I am well aware of what Baltimore summers are like. But I would like to here from people who've been in the Thursday pre-reg line what their experiences were. What did you do in line? What's it like? Other than water, what should you bring with you while waiting? Post your stories here.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My year me and a group of my friend got in the pre-reg line around noon. It was a ton of fun. We brought playing cards, some hand held video games, and lots of water. we froze water the night before so it was cold almost the whole time. We played a lot of games like B.S. and poker. We used pocky to bet. Also bring sunscreen, because it is easy to get sunburned while waiting in line. we all also brought hats. Also an Umbrella just in case it rains. I think one year it did rain for a little bit. A camera is nice to have to, because you never know if you want to get a picture of the people who cosplay Thursday.

My year me and a group of my friend got in the pre-reg line around noon. It was a ton of fun. We brought playing cards, some hand held video games, and lots of water. we froze water the night before so it was cold almost the whole time. We played a lot of games like B.S. and poker. We used pocky to bet. Also bring sunscreen, because it is easy to get sunburned while waiting in line. we all also brought hats. Also an Umbrella just in case it rains. I think one year it did rain for a little bit. A camera is nice to have to, because you never know if you want to get a picture of the people who cosplay Thursday.
Edited by YangWenli

A couple years ago my group got in line around 4 o'clock and the line was already circling the building, we all had sketchbooks and game boys and what not, we met a whole bunch of people in the line that we bumped into quite a few times through out the con, including a guy who stayed in a full chewbaka (sp?) suit for hours and hours... don't know how the guy survived the heat.

The years I haven't gofered I've always gotten in around noon, gotten a footlong at the subway in the Gallery, saved half, and gotten in line.

And I know it's beating a dead horse... but water. Lots and lots of water. Enough water that you'll say "Bah. I'll never drink all of this."

HAHAAH.. thursday pre-reg line.. the only time me and the few people i come with are together... It is quite entertaining. I normally just have a cup of chilled ramen noodles as i wonder along with the line standers in front of me... if i finish my ramen early i will run back to the hotel and fill a bookbag with snacks for me and my party memebers...

Even with the heat i still wear my sixth hokage jacket (the one from the fan art) just cause i love the way it looks.. hahah i bought and i never even did the cosplay... i just wear the jacket

So if u see a lot of orange holding a cup of ramen or a psp youll know its me lol

I'm not a line person, not really. I'll be in Baltimore around noon; go to the Aquarium, eat, shop, check out the sites, hang in my hotel room and then around 9, walk down, get my badge and go back to my room to play video games/watch anime/hang with my friends till we crash. :)

C

The earliest Ive seen someone line up for pre-reg was wednesday afternoon, if not a little earlier. Thats some dedication there. This year, I'll be walking the lines like I have the last few years. If you see a 10th Doctor with the inflatible TARDIS like last year, that'd be me.

We always get in line around 5, based on the fact we've got nothing better to do. We get our badges within an hour then go get some dinner. We have a good time talking, playing hand-helds, and my wife recently started sketching while in line.

I would like to go a little bit against conventional wisdom on waiting in the line (for over an hour anyway). Although hydration is important in the summer, you may want to watch how much water you are actually drinking. You will want to keep your bathroom breaks to a minimum in the line.

Are you allowed to get out of line, run to a CVS/7Eleven/etc, and get back in line?

well I was thinking of bringing a portable DVD player to watch some movies while waiting in line, then its back to the Hilton and its pool

I bet people remeber meeee~

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s15/Sta...808_0205b-1.jpg

Cept I dont rly look liek that anymore o.o

Well, iv always wanted to get in line before pre reg started. Maybe do it this yr. My group always get there around 7 or 8. The line goes really fast. I do want the adventure, and to start my otakon before the usual time.

Im definetly bringin my camara for pre reg line up. The cosplays are still good no matter when you go!

Hey all

I remember at Otakon 2008, there was a guy in his military uniform who was first in line for pre reg. I arrived in line on thursday around 3pm and had asked him how long he had been there. He told he that he was there since Midnight on Wednesday. I couldn't possibly imagine that someone would be there since wednesday unless he really meant that he had gotten there early that morning at midnight (technically thursday, but thought it was wednesday)

Me? It's too hot outside for me to camp out. I'm sure it's fun hanging out with fellow con goers, but I lack the endurance to do so.

If there's anything I want to do as soon as I get into Baltimore, it's wait in line for 6 hours in the hot sun instead of chilling in my hotel room, taking a relaxing swim, grabbing a bite to eat, walking around the city, seeing the sites, and casually waiting in line for about an hour in the evening to pick up my badge.

But for those of you who don't take kindly to my sarcasm, I implore you, do stay hydrated and please be safe. :)

Edited by Otaku Ru
Hey all

I remember at Otakon 2008, there was a guy in his military uniform who was first in line for pre reg. I arrived in line on thursday around 3pm and had asked him how long he had been there. He told he that he was there since Midnight on Wednesday. I couldn't possibly imagine that someone would be there since wednesday unless he really meant that he had gotten there early that morning at midnight (technically thursday, but thought it was wednesday)

Me? It's too hot outside for me to camp out. I'm sure it's fun hanging out with fellow con goers, but I lack the endurance to do so.

He was a very special situation. He'd pre-reged for Otakon before he found out that he was deploying the Friday of con. So he stood in line to get his badge and have some sort of con experience before he had to leave. He was a really nice guy, I talked to him for a while on Thursday.

If there's anything I want to do as soon as I get into Baltimore, it's wait in line for 6 hours in the hot sun instead of chilling in my hotel room, taking a relaxing swim, grabbing a bite to eat, walking around the city, seeing the sites, and casually waiting in line for about an hour in the evening to pick up my badge.

But for those of you who don't take kindly to my sarcasm, I implore you, do stay hydrated and please be safe. :)

Hey all

He was a very special situation. He'd pre-reged for Otakon before he found out that he was deploying the Friday of con. So he stood in line to get his badge and have some sort of con experience before he had to leave. He was a really nice guy, I talked to him for a while on Thursday.

Actually, that's what he did in 2007. In 2008 he actually was there for the whole con and gofered it too! That's dedication. o.O

Hey all

Actually, that's what he did in 2007. In 2008 he actually was there for the whole con and gofered it too! That's dedication. o.O

Woops, I got my years mixed. Things start to blur from one year to another sometimes. :)

QUOTE (Loki @ Mar 29 2009, 04:56 PM) *

QUOTE (Asrial Dune @ Mar 29 2009, 02:20 PM) *

QUOTE (raye @ Mar 29 2009, 12:36 PM) *

Hey all

Sorry if I quoted you wrong, can't get those quot tags to work the way I want them.

Yeah, he definitely stayed during the 2008 con. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my friend and I swore that we saw him in the masquerade. It was kind of hard to follow what was going on in his skit, but I think in the end he actually proposed to his g/f in the middle of the skit on stage. In line on Thursday, he told me that he didn't camp by himself and that his girlfriend was with him.

Anyways, I don't know, I said that I wanted going to go in line early on Thursday this year, but I did have lots of fun while waiting in line. Not only did I meet that solider guy, I got a free t-shirt from the staff (had to dance for it though...), and saw a lot of other people dancing and acting funny.

Question to the thread!

Is the person who Rickrolls the line cosplaying as Rick Astley planning on it again?

That was just hilariously awesome.

Dear God, that sounds hilarious. That'll make me get in line early just to see that

Oh please. Rickrolling has been passe for at least a year now. Like "Chair", it stopped being funny about the third time it was done.

Once your silly meme gets airplay during the Macy's parade, it's time to give it up...

Oh please. Rickrolling has been passe for at least a year now. Like "Chair", it stopped being funny about the third time it was done.

Once your silly meme gets airplay during the Macy's parade, it's time to give it up...

I've usually gone with friends to the pre-reg line but waitied for maybe 4 hours. We did go earlier the one year but it was too hot so we didn't do it again. And last year I gophered so I didn't have to stand in the line, yay. It's fun to drive by and see everyone in line though when you first get into town.

• 3 weeks later...
See this is why I always say:

Pre-reg line IS the Thursday Event.

It's possible there will be something else to do thursday.

No, I'm not saying anything more just yet. :D

Of course, another great thing to do on Thursday night is--Gofer Orientation! You avoid the line, get to meet some great people, and we take you up to get your badge after you fill out your gofer schedule. Plus you get to help put on the greatest con in the country! Plenty of Gofer pre-reg spots still left, check the volunteer section of the site for details.

But to appease the topic god(dess), bring, water, hats, umbrellas, and as far as bathroom breaks, wait with a group, so the others can let you back in line when you return. Although you may sweat out most of what you drink anyway. And please, if you're going to wait all day in the 103 degree heat index, don't make the small children wait with you. I saw parents with strollers out there one year, and the heat was brutal. We all know when the con is, make arrangements in advance.

As one of the Line monkeys who last year was there when the line formed weds night, and was there for when It wrapped around the building. WEAR SUNSCREEN, and as has been said many times before, Lots of water. And as for holding your place in line, Make friends with the people in front of and behind you. Its a pretty good way to hold your place.

And on another note, Check the weather... As it did last year it could rain, and ruin your day, so please bring appropriate clothing.

As one of the Line monkeys who last year was there when the line formed weds night, and was there for when It wrapped around the building. WEAR SUNSCREEN, and as has been said many times before, Lots of water. And as for holding your place in line, Make friends with the people in front of and behind you. Its a pretty good way to hold your place.
Edited by Duelistbluerose

ill be in line Thursday too.

i might do a casual cosplay for it. im thinking about either denny colt / the spirit or ---- gumshoe [ace attorney]

ill have my DS to picto chat w/ ppl, a bottle of water and my camra.

i remember the bit of rain last year. luckily, it only rained for a few mins.

You lined up Wednesday night?! do a lot of people do that? I thought it was only a handful of brave souls that did that :P

I was wondering about the getting out of line thing......... it's good to see that you can run to a bathroom or CVS so long as the people behind you don't mind. Is the line watched over by staffers? I ask this because I was in line for a masquerade at a con, got out of line to use the bathroom, and then I tried to get back in and had problems with a staffer. I was able to get back in line because the people behind me didn't mind. Would something like this happen Thursday night, or is it less strict?

I probably won't get there until 4:30 or 5, it's my boyfriend's first time attending any anime convention so I want him to see a little preview of what's to be expected that weekend :blink:

And! That Thursday night, who's going to the VAMPS concert?

You can meet people or even get/give hugs (though the staff has been against this the past couple years).

I don't think it's so much we're against people hugging, we just had to ban the "Will Glomp for..." signs. Along with signs in general. Apparently Baltimore considers it "solicitation". And glomping people w/o permission is frowned upon. That's how I understand it, at least. Any other Staffer with better info, please chime in.

You can meet people or even get/give hugs (though the staff has been against this the past couple years).

I don't think it's so much we're against people hugging, we just had to ban the "Will Glomp for..." signs. Along with signs in general. Apparently Baltimore considers it "solicitation". And glomping people w/o permission is frowned upon. That's how I understand it, at least. Any other Staffer with better info, please chime in.

Nope, you've got the gist of it -- see the FAQ on the website for more info, as well as the policy page. Hugs okay, pouncing and glomping total stranges, NOT okay. Offering sexual favors of any sort for any sort of payment? That is solicitation, as the BCPD pointed out to us a few times.

Like with most things that get banned, blame the reckless, clueless idiots who go too far for ruining everyone's fun.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.