Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Duelistbluerose

Thursday Pre-reg line

I have tickets to the VAMPS concert Thursday, so I'll be bypassing Thursday pick-up for the first time ever. We plan to stroll over on Friday morning about 10ish in order to miss most of the line then.

I wonder if the concert will have a huge effect on the Thursday line? Like, everyone goes to the concert instead of waiting, so there's no one in line. hmm...

I doubt it. We processed just shy of 9000 (yes, nine thousand, it's not a typo) registrations last year on Thursday night; and as someone else mentioned, the concert venue seats 1000. On top of that, even if all 1000 people went to the concert instead of doing Thursday night reg, there are still potentially 14000 other people who could choose to pre-register and then pick up their stuff that night. :P Otakon has a lot of people, which results in Otakon also having a lot of lines. But they move quickly once they start moving, so have faith. :P

This is my first Otakon so I am really looking forward to it! My friend and I are staying Thursday/Saturday and we preregistered. We are debating whether to get to Baltimore early and get our badges or chill out for a bit, and look around. I know some of the Otacupid singles are planning a meet-up on Thursday for the early birds so I'll get my badge before then!

I am quite intimidated by long times but from reading the posts here I don't think I got anything to worry about :D It seems the line moves surprisingly fast when the number of people are considered.

Well this is my 2nd year at otakon (last year was the most fun i've had, and i cant wait for this) and I registered online last year, but this year we're picking up a friend from NY then coming back on thursday, if we were to show up around 5/6 pm how long do you think the line would be??? Bout an hour or two?

I am quite intimidated by long times but from reading the posts here I don't think I got anything to worry about :) It seems the line moves surprisingly fast when the number of people are considered.

I am quite intimidated by long times but from reading the posts here I don't think I got anything to worry about :) It seems the line moves surprisingly fast when the number of people are considered.

the pre-reg line is insanely long. you'll probably do an anime-fall over when you see it. however it does move very quickly. Last year I got in line around 6pm and waited 30-45mins..... felt like 15mins because I was entertained by all the cosplays walking by - and by this shirtless guy swinging a glowstick around for no reason :)

how late can i pick up my badge? On Thursday that is. I still wanna get my badge on Thursday...but I also have tickets to the vamp concert @.@ super confused...it's my first time going to otakon so I don't know what to expect.

how late can i pick up my badge? On Thursday that is. I still wanna get my badge on Thursday...but I also have tickets to the vamp concert @.@ super confused...it's my first time going to otakon so I don't know what to expect.

I've been going to Otakon since 04 but this year is the first time we'll be spending thursday night there. The plan is to pick up our badges thursday. I'll be prepared for a long wait outside.

Something for people to keep in mind is that while drinking too little water causes problems (dehydration can be fatal) drinking too much water also causes problems (Hyponatremia which is where you dilute the sodium from your body and it also can be fatal). I prefer to alternate between water and gatorade, last year I carried around beef jerkey which worked pretty well. Remember when you sweat water and salt leaves your body, you need to replace both the water and the salt somehow. And no the carbonated water in soda doesn't count.

Take it from me, a guy who dresses up as Ikkaku every year with double layer 8oz martial arts uniforms; you will sweat. Getting that salt back into your body is as important as getting water in.

Just take care of yourself.

I'll be there extremely early.

Eeeh, I'm taking Amtrak up from Georgia and won't be in Baltimore until around 11:30 Friday morning. So I'll be missing the pre-reg line by default. *G*

Eeeh, I'm taking Amtrak up from Georgia and won't be in Baltimore until around 11:30 Friday morning. So I'll be missing the pre-reg line by default. *G*

I'll be there in plenty of time for pre-reg; the bus I plan on taking leaves Wednesday night and gets into Baltimore around 6AM Thursday morning. lol.

I'll be there in plenty of time for pre-reg; the bus I plan on taking leaves Wednesday night and gets into Baltimore around 6AM Thursday morning. lol.

ah, there will still be a line.

last year around that exact time the line was still scary. I know this 'cause my friend was in that line at 11am.

ah, there will still be a line.

last year around that exact time the line was still scary. I know this 'cause my friend was in that line at 11am.

Well, I actually meant the Thursday pre-reg line. I already figured that no matter when I arrived, there would be a line. *G*

But my plans have changed so I might actually be a day earlier than previously expected. \o/

Actually in the afternoon on Saturday and Sunday the registration lines tend to slow down quite a lot. To the point where sometimes people can just walk in and buy a badge without waiting.

I won't even be leaving Delaware until around 7 pm. And depending on how wussy I am at speeding, it could take me anywhere from an hour and a half to 2 hours or so to get there. I think I'll enjoy the nice mozzy of getting my badge in the evening.

when shall thee sleep cause yout not gonna have much time the entire weekend?

I have never been on the thursday line before, but this year I have a hotel for thursday night in preparation.

So I guess I WILL be on this line.

I'll get there for the late morning or afternoon. I hope to have a good time in line. Bored Otaku do it best and all that. I know I'm usually up for anything and hate doing nothing.

If I DO end up on this Line o' Doom, I hope people will talk to me. >_<

Even though I will be with a group already, I love to meet new people.

Which is why I'm waiting an hour or two after it opens on Friday morning to get in line.

If last years line was any indication... that isn't going to save you. I swear I walked past, at like, 12, and the line was wrapped around the building, twice.

Which is why I'm waiting an hour or two after it opens on Friday morning to get in line.

If last years line was any indication... that isn't going to save you. I swear I walked past, at like, 12, and the line was wrapped around the building, twice.

I'm just glad they've announced a special reg line/booth of some sort for people with Vamps tickets on thursday. That way I don't have to deal with the lines friday and I won't miss any of the concert. :)

is the thursday line worst than the pre-reg lines for friday?

is the thursday line worst than the pre-reg lines for friday?

To be honest, they're about the same.

Thursday pre-reg:

Show up before 5 (when the doors open), and you'll stand around in line in the exceptionally oppressive late afternoon heat for a while. At five, the line starts moving, and by six or seven, the line is going very quickly. People who show up at seven or eight get through the line with minimum wait time, and go on their merry way after getting their badge and registration stuff.

Friday morning pre-reg line:

Show up before [whenever the doors open, historically around 8:30], and you'll stand around in line in the slightly less oppressive morning heat for a while. At [whenever the doors open], the line starts moving, and by nine-thirty or ten, the line is going very quickly. People who show up at ten or so get through the line with minimum wait time, and go on their merry way after getting their badge and registration stuff.

Pardon my newb-ish-ness/stupidity, but I've never been to Otakon before - what time does the pre-reg line open on Thursday? Cuz I'm going to the VAMPS concert, but on the Otakon website it said that if you go to the concert with your con badge you get a ticket/token to get a priority spot in line for the VAMPS signing on Friday (which is something I really want!).

So, just wondering if it's actually possible to get my con badge and get to the concert early/on time. ^^;

EDIT: Wow, I can't read apparently. oo; *looks at the post above her* Oops. ^^; My question was already answered!

Ive learned that I can't take off Thursday now - Its the busy season at my job and Im lucky to have Friday off.....

But, I may be able to leave work early and travel up from DC. I'll probably get there a little after 5pm. Hope the craziness is still going on then!

vamps concert: overrated

line parties, on the other hand... quite fun. one time i was duct-taped to the chair rail down on the side closer toward the stadium.. @_@

vamps concert: overrated

That's a matter of personal opinion. ;D

line parties, on the other hand... quite fun. one time i was duct-taped to the chair rail down on the side closer toward the stadium.. @_@

Ive learned that I can't take off Thursday now - Its the busy season at my job and Im lucky to have Friday off.....

But, I may be able to leave work early and travel up from DC. I'll probably get there a little after 5pm. Hope the craziness is still going on then!

On the line for Pre-Reg...

I've been going to Otakon since Otakon IV. That's a LOT of lines and a lot of pre-reg.

Getting there early is nice, but the line really does move very quickly. Here's what I suggest:

• If you have a hotel room, get checked in and chill. Come out later (unless you want to hang in line)

If you don't have a hotel room for the night - DEFINATELY come a bit later. You won't like dealing with rush-hour traffic and you're just going to go back home afterwards anyhow.

If you want to be in the sun or just be part of the action...get there at about 4:30.

Whatever you do BRING LOTS OF WATER. I know "Welcome to LAST WEEK" but it deserves to be said.

Granted that's a personal opinion...

If you're going with a group - or someone else is going to have a hotel up there - here is my suggestion for those going from D.C. and could leave in the mid-afternoon:

MARC (commuter rail) on the Camden Line.

That's what I'm doing and Dr. Mrs. The Revengel is leaving work later to join me.

I'm off that day.

If you're going with a group - or someone else is going to have a hotel up there - here is my suggestion for those going from D.C. and could leave in the mid-afternoon:

That's what I'm doing and Dr. Mrs. The Revengel is leaving work later to join me.

I'm off that day.

I'll arrive around noon on Wednesday. Picking up a friend from the airport about four hours later. Need to check in and get my things set up.

I'm going to the VAMPS concert and hope to pick my badge up on Thursday as well.

My friend and I will be in Balti around 10am Thursday, get the hotel set up around noon-2pm, when a room is free, go to the aquarium, museum, get dinner, hang out in the harbor, meet up with our friends staying /w us.. basically make a day out of Baltimore. Then around 10pm, walk up to the line, get our badge and retire for the evening to play video games and what not till the con begins.

C

My friend and I will be in Balti around 10am Thursday, get the hotel set up around noon-2pm, when a room is free, go to the aquarium, museum, get dinner, hang out in the harbor, meet up with our friends staying /w us.. basically make a day out of Baltimore. Then around 10pm, walk up to the line, get our badge and retire for the evening to play video games and what not till the con begins.

C

I'll be there.....at some point on Thursday. We haven't decided exactly when we're driving up from Delaware yet. Most likely the plan is to check into the hotel room, mosey around Baltimore for a bit, then get in line after dinnertime and get our badges. Can't wait! 8D

I get in to DC around 3, then I have to take a hour to drive down with my friend.

We are probably going to do prereg pickup and then head over to the Sonar and wait for the VAMPS concert.

I'm off that day.

yea I plan on taking the MARC train from DC's union station on thursday afternoon. Thats the fastest way for me to get up to Baltimore. But Im a bit sad because I wanted to check out the craziness in the line - which is why I created this thread. oh well, next year

I'm off that day.

yea I plan on taking the MARC train from DC's union station on thursday afternoon. Thats the fastest way for me to get up to Baltimore. But Im a bit sad because I wanted to check out the craziness in the line - which is why I created this thread. oh well, next year

I'm probably going to try to take the train from DC that arrives by 3:00. Hoping to see other Otakon-ers there. :P

I'm probably going to try to take the train from DC that arrives by 3:00. Hoping to see other Otakon-ers there. :P

Understand that is the Penn line which goes to BWI Airport and Penn Station. The Camden line goes to Camden Yards which is right across the street (or tracks) from the BCC.

Feel free to use the map on the Otakon website for reference.

Understand that is the Penn line which goes to BWI Airport and Penn Station. The Camden line goes to Camden Yards which is right across the street (or tracks) from the BCC.

Feel free to use the map on the Otakon website for reference.

Thursday is going to be hectic for me!

I come back from Ocean City that afternoon, probably around 3. I then have to go and unpack my beach stuff, and pack everything I need for the con. Then we have to drive downtown and park at our normal, $7 a day garage and then hop in line. We then drive back to my house, a mere 15 minutes away, and sleep. My boyfriend suggested we just skip the Thursday line, but Thursdays line is now an event in itself to me! Didn't they start Thursday pre-reg fairly recently, within the past 6 years? I might be wrong, but I can not imagine an Otakon without that line.

Friday morning we then have to re-pack my boyfriends car and go check in at the Hilton!

Small world - I work at 2300 N Street NW.

I'm going to make the earlier train - sorry we wouldn't catch each other. Although you reminded me that I need to stop by LUSH to pickup some things for Beloved/Dr. Mrs. The Revengel.

Oh and a heads up: That train can fill a touch fast. If you can get there about 20 minutes before train departure you'll stand the best chance to grab a seat...and I reccomend that you get a seat near the door & stash your luggage right by your seat (assuming you're taking bags on the train).