Thursday Pre-reg line

That makes sense. You can't be like, jumping people. No good. And I read that in the FAQ, just after I posted that :blink:

Solicitation accusations aside, Thursday is still pretty fun :blink:

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As one of the Line monkeys who last year was there when the line formed weds night, and was there for when It wrapped around the building. WEAR SUNSCREEN, and as has been said many times before, Lots of water. And as for holding your place in line, Make friends with the people in front of and behind you. Its a pretty good way to hold your place.

You lined up Wednesday night?! do a lot of people do that? I thought it was only a handful of brave souls that did that ;)

I was wondering about the getting out of line thing......... it's good to see that you can run to a bathroom or CVS so long as the people behind you don't mind. Is the line watched over by staffers? I ask this because I was in line for a masquerade at a con, got out of line to use the bathroom, and then I tried to get back in and had problems with a staffer. I was able to get back in line because the people behind me didn't mind. Would something like this happen Thursday night, or is it less strict?

No, I was one of the staffers who arrived on weds to do set up and line control early on thursday. there were about 10 people there when I walked by it weds night around 10pm.

And yes there are staffers that watch the lines, we usually don't get involved in the line jumping issues unless its pretty flagrant, Just be respectful of others and you shouldn't have a problem. The line jumping is a more serious problem when people are being seated for events. I have one suggestion for that, Get to your event as early as possible to get decent seats. line jumping in the inside lines can get you in trouble.

the line starts early, but we are really good at clearing it at a reasonable pace, It doesn't really matter when you get to the line during the day, you'll still get your badges. However later in the day try to getthere a decent amount of time before the posted closing time.

I get the feeling that BPD would kick them out for loitering if they showed up that early.

Well I know the BPD let the folks stay overnight Wednesday, although they may frown on people camping out for days...

What's more likely to happen is that the organizers of an event that runs in the convention center before Otakon will not want them there and ask they they go wait somewhere else.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi y'all!

This will be my first year to Otakon or Bmore, so I am very excited and pretty scare too. My friend wants to put a FREE HUGS sign on me, cause I am a little shy =>_<=...but I guess she can't do that anymore yeah! Lucky...

Anyway, our group will be arriving on Thurs around 2-3pm, and plan to check out the Aquarian before we get in line.

Does anyone know what time the pre-reg line close on Thursday?

Hi y'all!

This will be my first year to Otakon or Bmore, so I am very excited and pretty scare too. My friend wants to put a FREE HUGS sign on me, cause I am a little shy =>_<=...but I guess she can't do that anymore yeah! Lucky...

Anyway, our group will be arriving on Thurs around 2-3pm, and plan to check out the Aquarian before we get in line.

I'm not going to comment about the "hug me" shirts since I don't know what SpecOps is going to be doing about them this year, but at the very least you're going to get nasty looks for wearing one.

As for the pre-reg line, it's been open till 10pm for the last 4 years so I'd expect it to be the same again this year. We've also cleared the entire line before 10p for the last 4 years, so I wouldn't worry about not getting your badge on Thurs.

Yes they do. Just remember that it's going to be a hot and humid Baltimore day - don't cosplay something that's going to keep you really warm and PLEASE drink lots of water. I'd really prefer to not have a repeat of a few years ago when we had 30+ people pass out from heat exhaustion in line on Thursday.

I'd really prefer to not have a repeat of a few years ago when we had 30+ people pass out from heat exhaustion in line on Thursday.

are you serious?!

Hopefully the weather this year will be as nice as it was last year - not too hot and breezy

Last year was my first year at Otakon. My parents, my friend, and I were standing in line in the rain (without umbrellas or anything to protect ourselves. Thank goodness it wasn't raining hard) and the line wrapped around half of the Baltimore Convention Center. Luckily, we didn't wait as long as I thought we would. I saw people cosplaying to pick up their pre-registration badges. I didn't know why they were doing it because the site specifically said that there would be no Otakon activities on Thursday.

"My friend wants to put a FREE HUGS sign on me" Don't wear any signs, they used to be allowed at Otakon a few years back, but not anymore. I'm sure you could get away with a shirt that says that, but be careful...they may people you don't want hugs from ;P

And i've seen people cosplay on Thursday. In my opinion, it's hot enough as is without wearing a costume! And if it isn't boiling hot, it's pouring rain. So I just find it way more comfortable to come in your regular clothing and just have fun pointing and laughing at all the people sweating like crazy in their costumes :( (just messing)

"My friend wants to put a FREE HUGS sign on me" Don't wear any signs, they used to be allowed at Otakon a few years back, but not anymore. I'm sure you could get away with a shirt that says that, but be careful...they may people you don't want hugs from ;P

Not true. From the FAQ, posted on the Otakon website:

Please note that signs asking for food, money, hugs, etc. are considered panhandling by the Baltimore Police department, and signs offering to exchange any sort of sexual favor (kisses, hugs, glomps, etc.) are considered solicitation.

A shirt that says the same thing that your sign would have said is still, essentially, the sign.

Best bet: don't ask for or offer free hugs, period, even if you're only standing in the Thursday pre-reg line.

I don't understand the appeal of waiting for hours in the sweltering heat and humidity when you could be doing ANYTHING else. One year we went to Baltimore on Wednesday. On Thursday we visited the aquarium. We headed over there at about 10 a.m. and people were ALREADY in line for prereg pickup. During the time those people waited in line, my friends and I went to the aquarium, got takeout Chinese, and hung out in the pool for an hour. Then we sauntered over to the BCC at like 7:30 and waited all of 30 minutes.

I mean, I guess if you truly find battling heatstroke fun, that's your prerogative, haha. It just seems like you could have just as much fun doing just about anything else. Heck, sit around your hotel lobby watching people check in! That can be a blast, and it's air conditioned!

As for cosplay, I wore my Luffy costume once on Thursday. It was a good costume for that since it was cool and kept the sun off me :D

Edited by youjik33
Hi y'all!

Seems like another thing for this first time Otakon'er to go and check out...the easiest way to spot me will be the Aussie accent.

it truley is amazing... even with the long wait and the scorching heat people cosplay (even though the con hasnt even started yet... lol crazy otaku)

i suggest if u dont enjoy long wait get ur badge on thursday... but wait till evening when the line dies down.. but yeah feel free to check it out and talk to folks.. most people who cosplay and some people in line prolly wouldnt mind having another person to talk to.. makes it all the more fun

The pre-reg line is always a lot of fun! Last year my group got in line around 7pm, and we were out in about an hour I think. It's a great way to get in the spirit of things for the weekend. :D

I think every year ive gone, ive always been a part of the thursday pre-reg line x'D

last year.. ugh.. thank god we had a car for a bit.. but we got SOAKED coming outta the BCC... i remember how there was 7 of us huddled under an awning for like.. about a halfhour/hour waiting for the rain to let up before we said 'screw it' and ran to the hotel.

i usually have my sketchbook, DS, and am always open for a good conversation~

i sometimes give out free sketches to people who are super nice too ^____^

I work until 8 Pm on Thursday night and I want to pick up my registration after I leave work. I will get down to the Convention center around 9 PM. I know registration closes at 10 PM, but What time does the line close for Pre-Registration Pickup. If it closes around 9 PM, I just will have to go to plan B.

My plane is coming in at 2:30 on Thursday, so I'll definitely be there. Hopefully I'll be able to meet a bunch of people. :D

I'm already in line, in my mind...

I lined up early on Thursday a few years ago. It was fun but I wouldn't do it again. Still, if you've never done it, it's worth doing at least once!

In addition to the usual, (water, hat, sunscreen, munchies), I suggest you bring umbrellas for everyone in your group. Save you from the rain or provide some instant shade. Both are good things.

For me, I plan to again get in line ~half an hour after the scheduled start time. It moved pretty well last year.

I can't wait for Otakon!

See you at the con.

I work until 8 Pm on Thursday night and I want to pick up my registration after I leave work. I will get down to the Convention center around 9 PM. I know registration closes at 10 PM, but What time does the line close for Pre-Registration Pickup. If it closes around 9 PM, I just will have to go to plan B.
There was quite a line last year, if I remember correctly.

At 7-10pm? Hmm must have changed some then. Maybe three years ago, there was no line towards the end of the night.

Hoping I can get there and get in line to get my pass, while also being able to get pizza and see a movie. ;p

Nah, the line was pretty well petered out by the end. As always, the worst is hte first few hours -- we *mow* through that pre-reg line on Thursdays. Show up around 730 and there's seldom much of a wait. Absolutely no need to wait in line all day.

There was quite a line last year, if I remember correctly.

At 7-10pm? Hmm must have changed some then. Maybe three years ago, there was no line towards the end of the night.

Hoping I can get there and get in line to get my pass, while also being able to get pizza and see a movie. ;p

Edited by MrBlinker

My friends an I get in at different times through out the afternoon cause we come from all over. We usually do dinner at 5:30-6ish. Then we go get in pre reg line and we're usually out like everyone says in about an hour. This year though, I got to get in line early. There's no way I'm missing the VAMPS concert at Sonar. I'm so excited! I hope and pray that the pre reg line is extra swift this year cause I don't want to miss a second of sexy Hyde. Mmmm. :D

Keep reading posts talking about how long the line is, will it really be that bad? O.o This is my first Otakon (as well as my first anime convention) so I'm not too familiar with how big & crowed events like this get. I was planning on coming down early morning on Friday, or would I be stuck in line for hours if I did that?

It's long but coming in Thursday is much better. Because if you come Friday you'll probably miss a lot of what is going on that day because it's just as long if not longer then.

Wait, doesn't the convention start on Friday? O.o

Last year was the only year that I stood in the Thursday pre-reg line. I think my group got in line around 2:30-3:00ish, it wasn't too bad. We sat, drank plenty of water and chatted with some people in line. I got to take some photos as well. Glad I brought sunscreen though...and later on we got caught in the downpour (I left the umbrellas at the hotel room >_<) Although we already had badges, I went back to the line to see a friend. I don't think I'll get in line that early this year *shrugs*, I may come early to chat with some friends and grab dinner. I'm also hoping to see the VAMPS show...if possible.

Ah I see, well I'll probably still end up coming Friday morning anyways just because of transportation issues and other things. Thanks for the help and I'll check out the FAQ thread, should've done that first. :D

Keep reading posts talking about how long the line is, will it really be that bad? O.o This is my first Otakon (as well as my first anime convention) so I'm not too familiar with how big & crowed events like this get. I was planning on coming down early morning on Friday, or would I be stuck in line for hours if I did that?

Otakon is decidedly on the big and crowded side when it comes to anime conventions in general, but our registration lines do move quickly. The convention center is still in setup mode until Friday morning, but on Thursday night we open up the registration lobby so that people who registered in advance can pick up their badges early, get a good night's sleep, and go straight to Friday early morning events without having to wait in line.

Historically we've opened the registration lobby around 5pm on Thursday and 8:30am on Friday through Sunday. (This year's hours haven't yet been announced.) If you arrive well before the doors open, you'll be waiting a while. If you come after the doors open and the line is moving, the wait will usually be much shorter.

Many attendees find that the registration lines are a lot of fun and a way to meet new friends. However, if you don't feel like spending much time in line, you may want to consider sleeping in and arriving in the late morning, when the line is relatively tiny.

Edited by motoki-O
If you arrive well before the doors open, you'll be waiting a while. If you come after the doors open and the line is moving, the wait will usually be much shorter.

Which is why, despite the opening time, many folks here on the boards who are familiar with standing in the Thursday pre-registration line suggest coming around 7-7:30pm. The line is never short by any means, but it moves faster and the sun's going down by then. Of course pre-registering is faster than registration at the convention. All you really have to do then is pick up your badge. If you're coming Friday morning and want to miss as little as possible, pre-registration's the way to do it.

I have tickets to the VAMPS concert Thursday, so I'll be bypassing Thursday pick-up for the first time ever. We plan to stroll over on Friday morning about 10ish in order to miss most of the line then.

I have tickets to the VAMPS concert Thursday, so I'll be bypassing Thursday pick-up for the first time ever. We plan to stroll over on Friday morning about 10ish in order to miss most of the line then.

I wonder if the concert will have a huge effect on the Thursday line? Like, everyone goes to the concert instead of waiting, so there's no one in line. hmm...

Thanks for the help Motoki-O & Sven. I did in fact pre-register for Otakon, as I always do with events like these, but I'll have to see what works out best. As I said, transportation is an issue along with several other things being an obstacle from getting down there on Thursday. Looking forward to Otakon, long lines or not though. :P

I wonder if the concert will have a huge effect on the Thursday line? Like, everyone goes to the concert instead of waiting, so there's no one in line. hmm...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.