Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

w-deremer

Harry Kalas 1936-2009

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/news/tributes/obit_harry_kalas.jsp

Longtime Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas died at 1:20 p.m. ET Monday, shortly after collapsing in the team's broadcast booth before the scheduled series opener against the Nationals.

I am at a complete loss... as a lifelong Phillies fan, I am terribly saddened by this passing... not since Richie "Whitey" Ashburn passed away in 1997 has the Phillies broadcast booth seemed so empty.

To anyone who ever listened to Harry the K narrate an NFL Films presentation or call a Phillies game, Kalas was pure gold, and from what I gather, just as genuine and good-natured away from sports.

RIP Harry... may you & Whitey be reunited in Heaven, as I know you missed him so... I am thrilled that you got to see one more World Series Championship, and I pray that the Phillies can continue to make you proud. My thoughts are with your family & all your fans.

:(

I know of Harry Kalas from NFL Films being closer to Baltimore than Philly. I enjoyed his work on the Superbowl films and this week in the NFL. He had a better football voice than baseball, but that is what he is best know for. It won't be a Super Bowl highlight film without him, next year.