Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kreidas

Being friends with an Otakon female is a waste of time.

Last year, made a few female friends over at Otakon. One of em lived not too far from me (in the DC area, I live in Maryland) so tried to hit it off afterwards with her - went to a few social event, like Asian movie fests, Chinatown dinners, etc. It did not work out. She seriously seemed to be a nice person too...but I guess our non-Otakon lifestyles, preferences were way too different?

Lesson learned here - do NOT try to get dates on Otakon jsut for the sake of dating. You can get more attention from your nearby middle-aged to elderly social tennis groups! You can get more conversations from the bored teenager in your nearby supermarket! You can definitely get more words from the scatterbrained office worker you work next to!

Also, don't try to go to those "social get together groups" which try to get singles together while Otakon is going on! They 100% don't work!

Better warn em now...than warn em later...or else disappointment is near the corner!

"They 100% don't work?"

Really?

I look forward to your documentation of the 100% failure rate you quote. Should make for interesting reading.

Me? I suspect your had too small a sample set.

I think perhaps you are posting based only on personal experience. There are infinite reasons why a particular couple may not work out. But there are also MANY examples of it actually working out quite well. Quite a few of our staff members, for example, have met their spouses in context of Otakon.

I suggest that the lesson to learn is not "it will never work" but rather "having Otakon in common is no guarantee of compatibility".

I thought this topic was going to be a PANEL suggestion! ^_^

I will say I know a few people who have found love simply by going to anime cons and socializing. Wouldnt be for me, but it does work! Just keep expectations low and go for enjoying the con itself and let things work themselves out

Holy mysogyny, Batman!

I'm sorry your relationship didn't work out, but it strikes me that perhaps there's more at work here than just the fact that you met at Otakon. For that matter, Otakon is only a place to meet people who enjoy the same things; there's no bylaw to membership that says that all attendees have to be a certain type of person--I suspect we'd lose a lot of our members if that were the case. The chances that you'll find someone to be with are a little bit higher because you share an interest, but you've got to remember that the interest is a very vague and fuzzy interest; just like someone you meet in a bar might share a love of alcohol with you, that doesn't mean that they're necessarily interested in microbreweries, you know? The membership is so widely varied and a relationship is still luck of the draw, no matter where you are.

For me, there's no point paying $50 for a membership if you're just going to use it as a dating venture. There's so much going on and so many interesting people to meet and talk to that I couldn't possibly focus on finding love at the con--if it happened, it would be icing on top of an already amazing cake.

Holy mysogyny, Batman!

I'm sorry your relationship didn't work out, but it strikes me that perhaps there's more at work here than just the fact that you met at Otakon. For that matter, Otakon is only a place to meet people who enjoy the same things; there's no bylaw to membership that says that all attendees have to be a certain type of person--I suspect we'd lose a lot of our members if that were the case. The chances that you'll find someone to be with are a little bit higher because you share an interest, but you've got to remember that the interest is a very vague and fuzzy interest; just like someone you meet in a bar might share a love of alcohol with you, that doesn't mean that they're necessarily interested in microbreweries, you know? The membership is so widely varied and a relationship is still luck of the draw, no matter where you are.

For me, there's no point paying $50 for a membership if you're just going to use it as a dating venture. There's so much going on and so many interesting people to meet and talk to that I couldn't possibly focus on finding love at the con--if it happened, it would be icing on top of an already amazing cake.

Last year, made a few female friends over at Otakon. One of em lived not too far from me (in the DC area, I live in Maryland) so tried to hit it off afterwards with her - went to a few social event, like Asian movie fests, Chinatown dinners, etc. It did not work out. She seriously seemed to be a nice person too...but I guess our non-Otakon lifestyles, preferences were way too different?

Lesson learned here - do NOT try to get dates on Otakon jsut for the sake of dating. You can get more attention from your nearby middle-aged to elderly social tennis groups! You can get more conversations from the bored teenager in your nearby supermarket! You can definitely get more words from the scatterbrained office worker you work next to!

Also, don't try to go to those "social get together groups" which try to get singles together while Otakon is going on! They 100% don't work!

Better warn em now...than warn em later...or else disappointment is near the corner!

I met someone at the con and we hit it off pretty spectacularly (so far), if I do say so myself. ^_^

Don't go just to date. Go to a panel because you're interested in a panel, or to the concert if you like the band. If you're having fun, girls will notice, and be interested (speaking from experience here) - but if you're on the prowl, girls will notice, and they will run in the other direction (also speaking from experience).

I met someone at the con and we hit it off pretty spectacularly (so far), if I do say so myself. :wub:

Don't go just to date. Go to a panel because you're interested in a panel, or to the concert if you like the band. If you're having fun, girls will notice, and be interested (speaking from experience here) - but if you're on the prowl, girls will notice, and they will run in the other direction (also speaking from experience).

I think I better clarify myself here before anything else lol.

1) Was not a date. Meeting a total of 4 times within 2 months does not constitute dating. Dating would be nice, but seriously, friendships first - dating, if there is a more higher probability. Learned that lesson a long time ago. Sorry I made the first post seem that way.

2) Within those 2 months or so, you would expect even a slight friendship...or at least a piqued interest from the other person? That obviously did not happen. The girl did not even continue with the friendship. She made maybe a half hearted effort, but it seemed very lackluster for some reason. The same person was very conversational in Otakon (heck, she was being wild in her Haruhi bunny costume!) but outside the con in "regular life circumstances" she was a lot more harder to approach.

3) If I were to date anyone from Otakon...PLEASE know how to play tennis first lol :wub: I'm more of a Tennis Fanatic than an Anime Fanatic...will take on all challangers in the Silver Spring/Wheaton area~!!!

That being said, not the only person I "met" in Otakon...I think I met a few ladies here, but the thing is...they were either busy with their boyfriends, or they're way too young, or they were just...not conversational. I actually get to know more guy friends (longer lasting ones) than girls. Is it racism towards a 31 yr old Chinese guy? Sexism? Ageism? Who knows? Who cares?

But I thought...hell...here's how it is. Otakon people go to the con to enjoy themselves. They are already in their own groups. They are busy doing shopping for goods, reading manga, karoke, etc. Otakon is definitely not a place for a single Chinese man to even try to socialize with anyone. So I thought, by doing this post, that for those who may be thinking the same thing, that it's not worth it.

(Would this be the true reason why the groups which were trying to get together for a singles meetup last year failed so horribly? It was great planning, but it was botched so badly.)

Here are the observations from myself from being to both Katsucon and Otakon for the last few years.

There is no room for friendship in a con. Ever.

There is no romance in a con. Ever.

Convention places are the worst place to meet people new.

If by the off chance that one does meet someone new, prepare to lose the friendship in a few months. RL friendships always take precedence over Otakon ones.

Similar interests do not attract. That is the Great Lie, the final answer to this post.

Here are the observations from myself from being to both Katsucon and Otakon for the last few years.

If by the off chance that one does meet someone new, prepare to lose the friendship in a few months. RL friendships always take precedence over Otakon ones.

Similar interests do not attract. That is the Great Lie, the final answer to this post.

I dont know what the heck you're talking about. conventions are some of the biggest social gatherings I know of.

I think you are too preoccupied with finding a woman - it's otakon, not datecon.

And there might be something you're doing wrong on your part. It's not always the woman's fault.

<WHACKS above poster>

Need I make this clear again??? Even finding a woman for a friendship...hell...even a get to know you...

Please read the top part...even friendships are meaningless! Did I ever even push myself towards the Date section? I already posted a lot of times that dating is not in the list!

Jesus..people like reading 1/3 of the post and not the other top 2/3....

And yes...to be honest? In my observations...a lot of times, women ARE at fault. <MY observations>. You try to do everything right and they still treat you like a sack of potatoes. Conventions or no...women seems to hate certain kind of people. Nice guys never win, bad boys do, etc? That saying is very true in many parts of the world, including dear ol' Baltimore, MD.

Now, making friends and alliances with guys...oh...by god it's so much easier. SO MUCH easier.

<WHACKS above poster>

Need I make this clear again??? Even finding a woman for a friendship...hell...even a get to know you...

Please read the top part...even friendships are meaningless! Did I ever even push myself towards the Date section? I already posted a lot of times that dating is not in the list!

Jesus..people like reading 1/3 of the post and not the other top 2/3....

And yes...to be honest? In my observations...a lot of times, women ARE at fault. <MY observations>. You try to do everything right and they still treat you like a sack of potatoes. Conventions or no...women seems to hate certain kind of people. Nice guys never win, bad boys do, etc? That saying is very true in many parts of the world, including dear ol' Baltimore, MD.

Now, making friends and alliances with guys...oh...by god it's so much easier. SO MUCH easier.

for me, making friends with a lady is easy cause I don't treat them like objects. That and I tend to be very nice to them. On the other hand, I never even got THAT far as kreidas has... or as anyone else I bet either.

Tigress is right. "Bad boys" as it was said are, at the very least, honest with themselves. I'm not gonna be someone I'm not to try and bag a female. Hell, it's not even what I go to cons for.

They just sorta come to me, and I act accordingly. :wub:

Duelistbluerose and kreidas: Either keep this civil or this is getting the lock.

My 2 cents (I'm going to be blunt): Otakon is a CON, people can pick and choose who they want to chill with. People go to con to enjoy a hobby they love. If you are going to Otakon ONLY looking for a booty call, relationship, love, female/male companionship, you do have the possibility of setting yourself up for disappointment.

And as a woman: We know what we are looking for and what we are attracted to. People are NOT classified as just "Good and Bad", there are grey areas. I've seen plenty of "nice guys" who are actually massive jerks and "bad boys" end up being the sweetest guys I've ever met.

I think I better clarify myself here before anything else lol.

Good lord, there is just no hope for you if you have that kind of mindset. Not to mention it doesn't make much sense... "Similar interests do not attract" is just the biggest BS I've ever heard.

It's super easy to make friends at the con and keep them... if you find that hard, it's your own fault.

Tigress is right. "Bad boys" as it was said are, at the very least, honest with themselves. I'm not gonna be someone I'm not to try and bag a female. Hell, it's not even what I go to cons for.

They just sorta come to me, and I act accordingly. :D

I dont know what the heck you're talking about. conventions are some of the biggest social gatherings I know of.

I think you are too preoccupied with finding a woman - it's otakon, not datecon.

And there might be something you're doing wrong on your part. It's not always the woman's fault.

Topic lock. Seriously, this topic is a potential flame war waiting to happen and we (BBS staff) do not want to have to keep coming into this topic to ask people to "play nice" or stay civil.