Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DDR BIG C

What does Otakon mean to you?

To me, Otakon is the superbowl of anime conventions, the wrestlemania of anime conventions.... Every year people gather from all across the globe to the BCC and when you're there... It's just magic. It's a pure 100% adrenaline rush, and a exfactor and entangable I can't explain, you have to be there to feel it. This will be my 8th Otakon, and it will be one to remember. From the dealers room, the gaming tournaments, autograph signings to the Masquerade, there is something for everyone. I remember one year I entered the DDR tournament and I came in 4th place, and last year, I made it to the quarterfinals in the MarioKart Wii tournament, It's something you will remember for the rest of your life. Otakon 2007 was the greatest moment in my life, I entered the Masquerade and 5,000 strong was in that room, and when I played my ocarina during the masquerade, it was something to remember. Otakon is the chance to live...... forever.

It's a whirlwind of millions of little things that need to be done. It's also an amazingly AWESOME time. Otakon is one of my favorite cons to work and as much of a headache as it can be (try working 35-40 hours over 3.5 days), it's the most amazing headache ever. If I ever stop working the con it's cause I'm physically unable to work it. Working cons is my vacation and Otakon is my Vegas, it's the biggest, the best, the most amazing.

This makes me remember the thanksgiving contest of last year @__@ What happened to the winner??

Well Otakon is the only Con I can attend cause I'm from Peru, and I just go to the states on july or december. But so far Otakon is the only one I'm able to go to! Also is one of the biggest in the east coast and was my first con ^^. It allowed me to do so many things and meet so many people in so little time ^^ I've only gone once so far but is the only place I can unwind and have fun with people that feels the same way as me :) . And I can't wait to feel that way again soon!

To me it means various things.... Originally it was a place to hang out with friends and enjoy anime, now it means a valuable stress relief, anime shopping, and time away from home.

i never get to go anywhere during the summer because of work, so in all this is pretty much my vacation. it's amazing. it's wonderful. and i love it.

At the moment it's a huge pile of things to do, stuff I just remembered I was supposed to have done a while ago, and stuff that would be awesome to do if only we can find someone to do it.

Once a year I help make magic happen.

Otakon the one thing that keeps me sane all year. It lets me know there's other people out there that like the things I like.It reminds me that even though I'm already in my 20's, it's okay to be a dork sometimes. :)

its like going to otakon to find another otakon inside the other otakon.

then waking up to find out its the first day of otakon in u can't wait..

really... at my job i tell every one every day just how many days till otakon.

all year round,.XD every one at wal-mart now knows of it..lol

i ware my all my otakon badges at work.

other then cos-play- i love the dealers room the most.

can buy alot of random stuff there..

even

Buddhist stuff

a place where i can get loose, and just enjoy myself with ppl that are on a generally positive vibe. a good weekend in baltimore...nice weather.....kickin it in the inner harbor with a huge group of friends i don't get to see that often. what more do i need?

Wow, what does Otakon mean to me? I've only been to Otakon once, but this is what I can pull from my experience:

Otakon is a large social gathering for anime (and for some, video game) fans. It's a time in the summer that for a few days, you don't have to worry about anything related to school. And since I'll be going to Otakon with my boyfriend this year, I get to spend days in a hotel and away from my dad (who calls Otakon "Geekfest"). It's one of the few places that I can spend hours at the place and not be bored. Plus, because of the location, there are fun things you can do outside of the Baltimore Convention Center.

I hope to see you guys there!

Otakon is a place where I can be a little bit more of myself (most people in my area don't even know what anime is). It's where I can make friends with people with similar interests in an awesome city. <3 Otakon also allows me to have bonding time with my dad who calls it "freakfest" but I know he enjoys himself as much as I do. :]

But it is a very awesome experience to be had. Everyone's so nice (for the most part) and you can just let loose. ^^

This will be my fifth Otakon so in a way I've been growing up with it XD

-started when I was 11-12ish and now I'm 16-

For me it means more money put into my city that may help our local economy. It also holds a more nostalgic meaning, I guess. I started going to Otakon over 10 years ago with my dad. He doesn't go anymore, but I still do. It brings back a part of my childhood that was over run with all the joy that came with this con, love that feeling.

For the last ten years Otakon has been my yearly vacation. A time when I step away from my 'normal' life, stop, look around me an enjoy the simpler things. It is fond memories of younger days and disposable income. It is a place where every year I've started a conversation with a person I've never met before and realized how much we, as fans and as people, all have in common.

Since I started the progression from gofer to Staff two years ago, it is a chance to give this to other people. To let them have memories like mine and yet their own.

All in all it is a way to be a part of something larger than myself, while still being who I am.

It reminds me that even though I'm already in my 20's, it's okay to be a dork sometimes

What does Otakon mean to me? Sounds like a college essay topic...

Well to me it's like Christmas, Halloween, and summer vacation all wrapped into one and right in my backyard. It's a blissful escape every summer that fuels the rest of my year, from thinking and planning for it, to what I take away from it, like new anime to watch and the awesome swag I pick up. It's an opportunity to be with thousands and thousands of my peers, united by our mutual love of Japanese culture and so much more. Sometimes thinking about even the smallest part of the con sucks all the stress from my body and keeps all the bad thoughts out of my head. Otakon is a tsunami of awesome that crashes into the Inner Harbor every year, an invasion on the normals that drains ATMs and convenience stores alike, the only place i know where we can carry a sword around with us (as long as they're within the weapons policy). Otakon is unlike anything else, no other con can compare.

For the last ten years Otakon has been my yearly vacation. A time when I step away from my 'normal' life, stop, look around me an enjoy the simpler things. It is fond memories of younger days and disposable income. It is a place where every year I've started a conversation with a person I've never met before and realized how much we, as fans and as people, all have in common.

For me it means more money put into my city that may help our local economy. It also holds a more nostalgic meaning, I guess. I started going to Otakon over 10 years ago with my dad. He doesn't go anymore, but I still do. It brings back a part of my childhood that was over run with all the joy that came with this con, love that feeling.

It could possibly be my undoing through reverse culture shock. I know last Christmas when I came home, I suffered a mild case. :lol:

On the other hand its a great time for me to spend with friends, have loads of fun, and hopefully be completely stress free! :D Although I am sure I will stress about something at least once. Such is travel, especially international travel.

I'm also looking forward to American food! Although... my stomach is gonna hate me for it! haha :(

This will be my 8th Otakon next week, Otakon is the grandaddy of anime conventions, and you stand on the grandest stage of them all, when you arrive at the convention center, you're there to prove it not only to yourself, but to your peers and let them know that you mean something. Otakon is the superbowl of anime conventions, the wrestlemania of anime conventions, it's like the olympics, the tournament of all tournaments... Otakon 2007 was the greatest moment of my life, when I entered the masquerade and played my ocarina and the audience stood in awe. Another otakon memory was last year when I came in 4th place in the MarioKart Wii tournament, but this year things will be different. Otakon, it's fever. It's really that exfactor and entangable that I can't explain that I can't explain, you have to be there to feel it. It's a 100% adreniline rush every year when I walk through front doors. I remember the first year I went, Otakon 2002... I was extremely nervous but I've started to enjoy it every year, from the gaming hall to the dealer's room to the masquerade, this convention has it all. I remember one year I met Vic Mignogna and Steve Blum, It was magic to me.

Otakon is the chance to live forever.

Seriously?

A few things -

My only time for overspending on things that I love most - sushi, seafood, relaxing locale, seeing sites, meeting new people, socializing, etc.

In short, it's my only time for a meaningful vacation LOL.

Also...I love anime - so that's definitely a plus.

Otakon to me is...

- The one time to hang out with anime-obsessed university friends during the summer, as most of them live across or in another state

- A 4-day, 3-night summer trip that fits within a budget of college student

- A place to see all kinds of people interested in Japanese culture

- A chance to explore Baltimore and its urban offerings (in broad daylight, of course)

- the one and only Otakon! The biggest anime convention on the East Coast, by fans, for fans... *gets hounded by the Clich

I have to agree with whats been said, its a place to hang with friends, see new anime pick up new things, meet new people, and it is my vacation for the summer as its hard enough to get away from work.

This Otakon means a return to my past. I haven't had the best year last year and I really want to make this year special by finally coming back to Otakon after an 8 year absence. I'm hoping to have fun and cut loose for a magical 3 days before I get thrown back to my troubles of the real world.

To me, Otakon and all conventions in general mean one thing:

PARTY TIME!

It means the only way that 10 people, scattered across the country (and occasionally the world) can agree to get together in one place at one time to party and hangout for four days. I often worried that it was just a matter of time before everyone graduated from college, moved around and settled into careers, and got married (insert 'otaku' joke here) that people would lose interest in Otakon and leave the group, but this is the 7th year we have gotten together (my 8th year at Otakon).

Its a place that i can wear obnoxious things and feel completely comfortable. Because no matter how dumb i feel, there is always someone there that is doing something worse...

Ever since I was a little kid video games fascinated me, I mean they were my world. As I grew up that fascination expanded into Japanese culture...anime, manga, the music, the customs, the styles everything. It's such a big part of my life I can't really explain it and I always thought "man wouldn't a big gathering of people like me be awesome"...then I discovered Otakon. When I discovered the con I was just a high school kid and couldn't really make the trip but I would watch fan vids every single year and said "that's where I wanna be, I've gotta be there too". Now I'm thankfully able to make the time and pay my way and I'm beyond excited. This is an event where personal problems, issues, all the sort go out the window for 3 straight days of fun. This is gonna be the event of the year, this is....Otakon.

very well put JCY24. I've been a videogamer all my life as well. My favorite game is Super Mario Bros. for the original Nintendo Entertainment System, which still works, this year I'm cosplaying as Mario.

Ever since I was little, I have always loved, you guessed it, Sailor Moon. That was MY show, and I never missed an episode. When it went off the air, I was pretty devastated, but soon I found the wonderful world of manga and expanded my love for Sailor Moon into a love for manga and anime. I started going to little local cons a few years a ago, then when a few friends and I decided to go to Otakon, I was so pumped!! As soon as a got to the BCC, I knew that this was the perfect place. Otakon to me has come to represent being a kid again. It's like an entire weekend of playing with your 6 year old best friend, minus the sandbox fights and hair pulling. I look forward to Otakon every year, and can't wait for Thursday!!

The big leagues. Its a totally different experience going from mid-sized Florida hotel anime conventions to the second largest anime convention in the United States.

I think each year I try to see if I can accomplish going to as many events as possible. So Otakon to me is trying to go to everything and enjoy the large con experience.

Also, with the rush of the Florida cons in the same month, its like the peak of everything. :(

Otakon... is the moost wonderful timmeee of the yearrr.

It's my Christmas in July. -has been singing Christmas carols substituting Otakon in for a week now-

I look forward to it all year. It beats any holiday for me. ^^

Otakon's a few things to me. A release. The big leagues. Tons of fun, plenty of new opportunities and experiences I'd never find here. Plus on some level this year it's me proving to myself that I can pull together a group like this and make things go smoothly.

It's the time where I feel exhausted and my feet hurt and I'm sweating like a pig but I actually LIKE it.

Well, okay, I don't super like it. It'd be great if Baltimore enclosed its entire town in an air-conditioned building.

But it's the time of year where I actually can stand being tired and sweaty cause there's a good reason for it.

Well, this'll be my first full convention...but judging from my past, brief Otakon stints, it means (to quote some rockin' peeps before me) truly being alive. I remember walking down the hall after registering (Saturday of '02), and despite the fact that I had no idea what to do next, I was shivering. My teeth were chattering, but I really don't think it was the air conditioning.

I'd never been with such a concentrated group of anime fans before, and it was extremely liberating. I didn't stick out of the crowd as much as in school, and that was a pretty fabulous feeling.

I'm really looking forward to the weekend-long adrenaline rush that is this wonderful, wonderful Convention of Otaku Generation. I cannot accurately express this in words. :D

It is the culmination of all my geek-boy tendencies in one weekend where I let loose and not feel like I'm being judged or considered odd.

I can jam on the keyboard in the Jam Room, sing on the Karaoke stage, lay the smack down on Gears of War while rocking on Guitar Hero, before jaunting to a panel and learning some new skills or sharing in an interesting discussion, before hitting the Dealer Room and walking out with large amounts of swag, before having to take a break and watch a movie or two, right before RPing a battle of epic proportions, culminating in the awesomeness of the Rave. This is what Otakon means to me.

Otakon is one word:

Betchen! :P

Is that a word?

Otakon is one word:

Betchen! ;)

Is that a word?

To me it means a place to have fun, get away from work, spend lots of money, and (this year anyway most definitely) to meet new friends.

Otakon is one word:

Betchen! ;)

Is that a word?

well, im tired of seeing the word "ballin" (its too overused)...so i took Liam Sullivan's word, "betch" and used it as a term to describe "ballin"....so we get "betchen!"

omg, that made no sense. :D

Otakon is one word:

Betchen! ;)

Is that a word?

well, im tired of seeing the word "ballin" (its too overused)...so i took Liam Sullivan's word, "betch" and used it as a term to describe "ballin"....so we get "betchen!"

omg, that made no sense. :D

Last year was my first Otakon, and at the time I basically represented my official graduation from simple n00b to full-grown Otaku. No more fumbling around with kid stuff cons, this was the BIG LEAGUES and I actually knew what I was doing!

It also means the anniversary of my con-based webcomin Conventional Wisdom, a link to which is conveniently located in the signature of this very post </shameless plug>

What does it mean to me...

I can just be myself a complusive otaku with a smart mouth thats kinda stupid. I can hang with my friends for a weekend without parents bossing us around. Chill in a hotel, buy stuff that cant buy anywhere else. Meet other fans. Go to the Rave and dance like theres no tomorrow and dont have to worry bout chores or job or the dog. Have fun for the 3days without drama.

Thats what it means to me.

lol that sound funny in my opinion. :D