Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DDR BIG C

What does Otakon mean to you?

For me it's going abroad alone, FINALLY being with others who like the same things I do, and being myself again, without facing insults and being made fun of

It's pretty much my ideal vacation (or the silly term "staycation" since I live near Baltimore). It doesn't cost much to come down here and I get to have tons of fun without spending too much. That and just chatting it up with total strangers while waiting in line and running into old friends makes Otakon a pretty important experience for me.

To me it began as my first convention...and the chance to catch items that I had never heard of (like the first time I saw Ranma 1/2).

Now, it's a tradition that is my favorite part of the summer and includes costumes, shopping and general fun. I'm alwas a touch nostalgic and rather impressed with how far it's come, but that only lasts for a couple minutes.

Then the fun totally take over.

To me it began as my first convention...and the chance to catch items that I had never heard of (like the first time I saw Ranma 1/2).

Now, it's a tradition that is my favorite part of the summer and includes costumes, shopping and general fun. I'm alwas a touch nostalgic and rather impressed with how far it's come, but that only lasts for a couple minutes.

Then the fun totally take over.

It's a much needed vacation for me...not to mention the best 3~4 days of the year for me.

Otakon is my one big chance to nerd out surrounded by people who are into the same stuff that I am. I also love to shop for deals on japanese stuff, play one of my favorite gigs on a proper sound system, and now to give back to the community by staffing. I've met some very awesome friends and had a great time so far, very much looking forward to this weekend.

Otakon is my one big chance to nerd out surrounded by people who are into the same stuff that I am. I also love to shop for deals on japanese stuff, play one of my favorite gigs on a proper sound system, and now to give back to the community by staffing. I've met some very awesome friends and had a great time so far, very much looking forward to this weekend.

Yeah, how many of your club-scene coworkers can tell stories about the weird discussions they've had with three different Japanese bands until 6 AM?

And don't worry -- you're going to be working your butt off again!

Yeah, how many of your club-scene coworkers can tell stories about the weird discussions they've had with three different Japanese bands until 6 AM?

It's all fun and games until it comes back to your hotel room. :D

Can you like, write a book on these epic tales of behind the scenes con hijinks? Really? Comments like these get me so dang curious! XD

I have a running joke that one day I'll write a tell-all about all that I've seen. :mellow:

Until then, I must content myself with evil, cryptic comments like that. Sorry, it's my one outlet here for stress relief: tormenting you guys! ^_^

Otakon means vacation, seeing friends, splurging a little, seeing great performances, and over all not giving a care for a weekend except to have a great time!

I'd volunteer, work for a con, but I like having fun too much :mellow:

C

I'd volunteer, work for a con, but I like having fun too much <_<

Now don't go thinking the two are mutually exclusive! Otakon allows one to spend time having entire brands of fun that are only available behind the curtain (just mind the wizard.)