Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alabaster

Pre-reg Payment Failures of Years Past

In another thread, I mentioned that we'd got some pretty strange stuff in payment.

Most of these date to 2002-2006, when I was either involved in pre-reg (2002-2004) or was vice chair or chair, and thus had reason to handle the payments.

Payments are all sent to a PO box, and during the busy season the box fills up fast and it was typical at one point in the game for us to get a few hundred registrations per day.

Some of the more interesting payment failures:

* Blank checks

* Unsigned checks

* Checks with address info blocked out

* One check from a joint account with one of the names crossed out in red ink

* Check with checkbook carbon copy attached

* Cashier's check made out to "Oakton", "Otan", or "Convention"

* Check for correct amount, plus check for $10, both for same person, with "in case I am late" marked on the $10 one.

* Check post-dated for the date the convention started

* Cash ($50 bill)

* Cash (3x $20 bill) for a $45 registration.

* Cash (misc bills and 4 quarters)

* Check made out to another con, with the name scratched out

* Check made out for correct amount, signed, and correctly dated, but no recipient noted

* Check with the word "VOID" written on it.

* Check was a starter check (#101) with no address info.

Packing failures:

* Forms sent without payment (about a dozen of these that i personally handled in 2005)

* Payments sent without form (about 40-50 in 2005, though at least some had a member ID)

* Empty envelope containing neither form nor payment (at least two of these I remember)

And my personal favorite: The Strange Case of the Fedex Box

* Fedex box sent overnight to make an early pre-reg cutoff.

* Box cost $13.50 to send overnight.

* Pre-reg savings was $10.

* Box contained ONLY the check -- no copy of the printed form.

* It was overnighted from a 24 hr facility (possibly an airport) at 11:45pm.

* We were able to deduce the person's reg information by checking the fedex record.

So yeah -- he could have just sent it the next day and missed the cutoff for the discount -- instead he paid $3.50 more than the at-door rate to confuse us and claim to have got the prereg discount.

Why we don't do groups anymore is at least partly attributable to the endless failures. For every organized college club who had their act together, there were 20-30 folks who just sucked at the entire process.

* 12 people signed up at a rate of $50. The discount was $5/person, so that's $600, minus $60 for the group discount. Can you guess how much they sent? Well, this happened fairly often, so there are multiple answers.

- Group A sent $60.

- Group B sent several checks totalling $560.

- Group C sent one check for $500.

- Group D sent a check for $600, and a handwritten additional registrant.

---- math hard! 13 x $50 = $650 minus (13 x $5 = $65) = $585 owed.

* notes explaining why they registered 15 people but only managed to cough up funds for 9.

* checks for odd amounts for individuals, but totalling the correct amount in the end.

And then finally, of course, the usual bounced checks.

Registration sound both funny and terrifying. People with math and money make the weirdest and funny mistakes. Also some people just don't get it, no matter what.

Ugh... people, and their... their.... whatever it is! -.-

;p

Its like the $19.99 thing. When I was in college, I was working at a fish counter. We would have sales, and people would come in and say "So you have this <fish> for 5$?" and I would reply, "No, its 6 dollars a lbs." Then... they would proceed to tell me how it wasn't 6 dollars it was 5.99$. -.- One penny, and they round down to 5$?!...

Gah... At that point I wish I could have been Lucas from Ctrl Alt Del.

Glad I use a credit card to prereg though. ;p

If only you knew how much of a joke it was collecting checks and MO's for my hotel arrangements last year.

Unsigned money orders, badly-written checks, wrong totals.. people don't seem to understand the importance of these things. :D

Why we don't do groups anymore is at least partly attributable to the endless failures. For every organized college club who had their act together, there were 20-30 folks who just sucked at the entire process.

* 12 people signed up at a rate of $50. The discount was $5/person, so that's $600, minus $60 for the group discount. Can you guess how much they sent? Well, this happened fairly often, so there are multiple answers.

- Group A sent $60.

- Group B sent several checks totalling $560.

- Group C sent one check for $500.

- Group D sent a check for $600, and a handwritten additional registrant.

---- math hard! 13 x $50 = $650 minus (13 x $5 = $65) = $585 owed.

* notes explaining why they registered 15 people but only managed to cough up funds for 9.

* checks for odd amounts for individuals, but totalling the correct amount in the end.

And then finally, of course, the usual bounced checks.

And too, there are people who are nice as pie to deal with and grateful when you take time to work with them, and people who cut you dead.

We've also had fun tracking down people who sent us the information, but left out something or other that was needed.

One young man I found through his father. He had a distinctive name, and his father mentioned him on his biography web-page (he was a college professor), which I found when I googled the name. So I sent the father an email, and he put me in touch with the son, and everything worked out.

Luckily it wasn't a common name like "John Smith"....

And too, there are people who are nice as pie to deal with and grateful when you take time to work with them, and people who cut you dead.

We've also had fun tracking down people who sent us the information, but left out something or other that was needed.

One young man I found through his father. He had a distinctive name, and his father mentioned him on his biography web-page (he was a college professor), which I found when I googled the name. So I sent the father an email, and he put me in touch with the son, and everything worked out.

wow..Kudos for the extended effort on your part! O.O'

I hope i dont cause anything like that, my mother mailed in money payment for the first time. lol im sure you dont have to worry about her tho! ^-^

thanks for being so dedicated tho! :D

It's honestly worth it.

I've gotten people in the Dealers Room who look at my staff badge, realize that they talked to me online and it's great to meet them face to face.

There have also been people I could not do anything for, or something horrendous happened. Then it's sort of a shamefaced moment.

In the end, it's the people who make the con.

You know the first time I did my taxes, I had it all nice and pretty and ready to go. Sent it out and I got a letter back saying I forgot to sign the stupid thing. After that I always double and triple check everything I send. I call it an 'idiot check'. Of course it's a lot easier doing it online. "Praise the all powerful and evil Webaverse gods!"