Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

generaldom

Share Your Best/Worst Con Stories!

Alright, gather around the campfire.

Like the topic says, please tell us an anime convention experience that sort of stuck with you. It can be a horror story, or a success story, or any other thing in between that you wanna tell. Post as many as you wanna share!

Here's one of my horror stories for now :D

Katsucon 2009 was my first full con, and also my first experience at an Artist Alley. I walked into the registration, and found out that I was being placed in what was probably the worst table I could be in (at least, that's what I thought). It was near the back, where I figured no traffic would be coming through.

I was sitting by a group of -very- talented females who pretty much intimidated me to no end with their well-drawn bishounen prints. I almost turned around and walked off because of it all. :D

I spent far too much money to dye my hair pink for a costume that no one wound up recognizing. (The pink wound up being worth it for other reasons, and I loved it, but still, heh.)

I spent far too much money to dye my hair pink for a costume that no one wound up recognizing. (The pink wound up being worth it for other reasons, and I loved it, but still, heh.)

On the topic of pink hair, I'll never forget walking with one of my best friend's when he cosplayed as Mikage from Utena in '04. He got the funniest reactions when we walked from the hotel to the BCC, practically stopped traffic on Pratt St. People kept honking & exclaiming things like 'That guy's got pink hair!' :lol:

It was an alternate outfit of Utena's.

I have a hatred of stairs that are more then two flights now. X_x

So, overall, I had an awesome time. Can't wait for Ota! XD

It was an alternate outfit of Utena's.

I have a hatred of stairs that are more then two flights now. X_x

So, overall, I had an awesome time. Can't wait for Ota! XD

Were you dressed up as Chamber from X-Men?

Sometimes it's a good idea to take the stairs...

Last autumn I went to MangaNext for the 1st time & had a room in the con hotel. This was great except for one thing, they put us on the 6th floor in the farthest room possible from the elevator. It was easier to use the stairway across from the room, trust me I got plenty of exercise that weekend.

As for the elevators, one got nicknamed the Tower of Terror during the con weekend. For instance, as we were checking out on Sunday, me & one of my roomies decided to try taking an elevator from the lobby. We watched this one elevator count down the floors & then just before it reached the lobby the floor indicator panel said 'OK'. The two of us took one look at each other & at the exact same time exclaimed 'We're taking the stairs again!'

Ever had an elevator tell you it was 'OK'?

Sometimes it's a good idea to take the stairs...

Last autumn I went to MangaNext for the 1st time & had a room in the con hotel. This was great except for one thing, they put us on the 6th floor in the farthest room possible from the elevator. It was easier to use the stairway across from the room, trust me I got plenty of exercise that weekend.

As for the elevators, one got nicknamed the Tower of Terror during the con weekend. For instance, as we were checking out on Sunday, me & one of my roomies decided to try taking an elevator from the lobby. We watched this one elevator count down the floors & then just before it reached the lobby the floor indicator panel said 'OK'. The two of us took one look at each other & at the exact same time exclaimed 'We're taking the stairs again!'

Ever had an elevator tell you it was 'OK'?

Katsucon 2009 was my first full con, and also my first experience at an Artist Alley. I walked into the registration, and found out that I was being placed in what was probably the worst table I could be in (at least, that's what I thought). It was near the back, where I figured no traffic would be coming through.

I was sitting by a group of -very- talented females who pretty much intimidated me to no end with their well-drawn bishounen prints. I almost turned around and walked off because of it all. :lol:

ohgeez stair stories x'D

ive never really had a problem with stairs (unless im at school and have no choice but to take the stairs to the 9th floor from the lobby OTL )

im quite used to the metro escalators and walking up those. Builds hardcore muscles in your thighs x'D

Im looking forward to many stories about AX though x'DD

ive already got one and its not even started yet ^^;;

it took me 3weeks to get my sellers permit and my boss got his in 3days D8

*tear*

I was sitting by a group of -very- talented females who pretty much intimidated me to no end with their well-drawn bishounen prints. I almost turned around and walked off because of it all. :lol:

near the back... was it by the bathroom area? D:

Katuscon 2009 was a blast for me. ^^;

I got to sit next to the lovely Luciole and had her, Emi, Sukidaiyo and her boyfriend stay at my place and we all had a blast x'D

i dont think i have any real horror stories... just sorta weird ones. Last Otakon my boss managed to snag a table for his studio (that i work for) and was in the back near the toliets. It was crazy cause he knew i was there and made me do some stuff for the studio instead of working on commissions ^^;

he'll be there again this year, but, hopefully ill get a break x'D

Actually, it was by the Video 1 and Video 2 rooms. Did you see me?

You should tell your boss to back off.

(It's so easy to tell you that, since I'm not in your position haha)

Anime USA 2007 was one of the best cons I had ever been too. I don't remember much, but I know I had a great time!

Last Otakon was also amazing for me. I just had a good time with my friends!

As far as bad con experiences?

Otakon 2001, I was about 14 years old. It was my first time going alone (really, with a friend) and on Saturday night her mom picked her up without me, and I got stranded downtown. It sucked, but it happens.

Katsucon 2005 my car battery died in the garage.

Katsuon 2009 I had the flu.

Anime USA 2008 my sister almost got into a fight with some kid who kept calling her and I a slew of derogatory names, when all we asked him was if he knew how to get into the garage (we were looking for someone). He was about to hit my sister in the face when one of our other friends pushed him off. Then like, 30 of us swarmed said kid, who wound up backing off...and crying. o_o;

Anime USA 2007 was one of the best cons I had ever been too. I don't remember much, but I know I had a great time!

Otakon 2001, I was about 14 years old. It was my first time going alone (really, with a friend) and on Saturday night her mom picked her up without me, and I got stranded downtown. It sucked, but it happens.

Anime USA 2008 my sister almost got into a fight with some kid who kept calling her and I a slew of derogatory names, when all we asked him was if he knew how to get into the garage (we were looking for someone). He was about to hit my sister in the face when one of our other friends pushed him off. Then like, 30 of us swarmed said kid, who wound up backing off...and crying. o_o;

I got pneumonia at that con -.-;;

Started feeling it Sunday afternoon. Monday morning sucked waiting in the airport to fly back to Canadaland. Arriving in Toronto only to find my car battery dead in the long term parking lot dead really sucked. Then the 3 hour drive back to my hometown/hospital was torturous (was slightly hallucinating near the end). Get to the hospital at around 9pm... doctor says I have pneumonia. Yay no work, boo painful.

Started feeling it Sunday afternoon. Monday morning sucked waiting in the airport to fly back to Canadaland. Arriving in Toronto only to find my car battery dead in the long term parking lot dead really sucked. Then the 3 hour drive back to my hometown/hospital was torturous (was slightly hallucinating near the end). Get to the hospital at around 9pm... doctor says I have pneumonia. Yay no work, boo painful.

That's an all-around epic post. I would have paid money to see that last one go down. How did you get found in Otakon 2001? I'm assuming you haven't been downtown there ever since, haha.

Does it help to take a couple of those airborne pills before going to cons? I've never seen anyone talk about how to prevent getting sick out there.

When the handicap elevators broke last year (multiple times) I was wheelchair bound and 8 months pregnant. Also on the first day there were these really really rude congoers in the parking lots walking really slow in front of us (we were driving) and looking back and smirking and saying nasty things - for no other reason than to be complete jerks. Being pregnant makes you emotional so I started crying.

Does it help to take a couple of those airborne pills before going to cons? I've never seen anyone talk about how to prevent getting sick out there.

That's an all-around epic post. I would have paid money to see that last one go down. How did you get found in Otakon 2001? I'm assuming you haven't been downtown there ever since, haha.

?? I live in Baltimore. I go through downtown on a very daily basis. Unless you mean before I was 14, in which I mostly stayed at home and never went anywhere. I'm confused.

I had a cell phone, so my parent's called me! But my friend did not have a phone, so...payphones were clearly obsolete by then.

Where's MangaNext, and did you enjoy your time there?

Compared to Otakon & AnimeNext, MangaNext was a nice relaxing con devoted to well, manga. I had a lot of fun though. Last year it was held on Halloween weekend in Somerset, NJ. Unfortunately, I've read that MangaNext isn't being scheduled this year & they're hoping to bring it back for 2010.

Back to the best & worst con stories...

I've enjoyed myself at every con I've been to, here's just a couple of my favorite moments:

Otakon '02 - One of my roomies that year was friends with a Baltimore police officer. Since our hotel was a mile away from the con, she got the brilliant idea of calling him for a ride back to the hotel Thursday night. He went with us up to the room in full uniform. I don't think I'll ever forget the look on the desk clerks face. Freaked out our other roomies once we got to the room too, they thought we'd gotten ourselves arrested! :)

Otakon '03 - Went back to my hotel room Friday morning & wound up riding in an elevator with Johnny Yong Bosch.

AnimeNext '06 - Got to sit in the drivers seat of a perfect replica of the original 60s Batmobile. The owner brought it to the con Saturday night.

Where's MangaNext, and did you enjoy your time there?

Otakon '03 - Went back to my hotel room Friday morning & wound up riding in an elevator with Johnny Yong Bosch.

Let's see, war stories.....

Staffer, wearing multiple radios, on the middle of the 300 level rapidly en route between missions when a woman, middle-aged, sans badge, stops me and asks,

"Excuse me--can you tell me where in the Convention Center this Otakon thing is taking place??"

:huh::):huh:

"Come again, ma'am?"

"I said, can you tell me where Otakon is taking place, going on?"

:blink::blink::blink::blink:

"Ma'am, welcome to Otakon."

"But where? What room?"

"The whole, bloody Convention Center. 20,000 people."

She looked as if she had seen a ghost while having a heart attack. "WHAT?!?!?!?!?!? I have to find my son!"

"Ma'am.......... all I can say is, good luck and may your god go with you...." and took off.

My first year at Otakon--first con ever, actually!--was the year the sewers blew up! My brother and I were sharing a pizza for dinner when all of a sudden we heard this kind of distant booming, followed by cheering and eventually sirens. We opened the curtain, but our room was facing the wrong way to see the impromptu dance party, haha.

It was also my first year cosplaying; I was dressed as Vampire Princess Miyu (OAV version); white "silk" kimono, red sash and ribbons, and flip-flops were all that was to the costume, but for modesty's sake I wore a slip. All I have to say is THANK GOD I had that foresight! I was staying at the Holiday Inn, but the roads in the city (and particularly around the Holiday and Days Inns, it seemed) were all torn up due to construction. I was walking back to the hotel in my costume when it started to rain. I'm sure you can imagine.... I'd never been catcalled before! I must have looked like a child prostitute. I took off my flip-flops and all but ran back to the hotel to change!

The next year, I cosplayed Puchiko from Digi Charat. My friend had come dressed as Dejiko the year before and was supposed to group with me, but she ended up wearing a different costume, so I was a little nervous (considering my experience thus far!). I got on the elevator at the hotel and overheard a mom telling her young daughter all about my costume and who I was supposed to be. It totally made my day! Unfortunately, I'd forgotten to put a line of hot glue down on the soles of my boot covers, so when I was running across the dealer's room to catch up with a friend (man, remember back in the day when you could do that without smacking into 50 people?), I slipped and ended up doing the splits. All of my things landed right next to me, but as I was fishing around for my hat, someone took a picture and said, "I like to get candid shots." It was funny, if a little painful.

Two years ago, my roommates and I were rushing to get ready for my tea party when one of them looked out the room's window and saw a couple doing a kind of skanky photoshoot in the BCC parking lot. We all cracked up, and the photographer and "model" looked up at the window full of frilly lolitas and laughed back.

One of my favorite memories is hanging out in the Gofer Pool last year, though: we played Gofer dodgeball and loads and loads of Mafia. So much fun!

Since it won't let me go back and edit the original entry(boo, hiss on the BBS):

I spoke with many awesome people at Katsu '09: there was the guy cosplaying as The Internet, who even gave out free internets. The Alto and Ranka chatted with the night of the ball. The awesome Tenth Doctor who showed me the way to the 7-11(I HAD to get my vanilla cupcake cappuccino). People who I've known for years online and finally got to meet IRL(the AWESOME MissV, for one. :blink: ). The girl I met walked with on the way to the bus station, and the staffer I chatted with while I was there. And so many others.

Man, they were all awesome, and I hope to see at least a few of them there at Ota! :)

AnimeNext '06 - Got to sit in the drivers seat of a perfect replica of the original 60s Batmobile. The owner brought it to the con Saturday night.

omg... i am completely jealous D8

that must have been AWESOME!! x'D <3

omg... i am completely jealous D8

that must have been AWESOME!! x'D <3

I think it was Katsucon 07.

I'm female and I have that time of the month thing.

It was a total surprise and I was walking around with bad cramps.

Someone gave me Motrin but it wasn't a big help. D:

I think it was Katsucon 07.

I'm female and I have that time of the month thing.

It was a total surprise and I was walking around with bad cramps.

Someone gave me Motrin but it wasn't a big help. D:

otakon 2006!

i was waiting in line with my younger sister and a few friends were waiting to get autographs from yoshiki. the line was huge @_@;; and we were thinking that we most likely weren't going to get his autograph since we were very, VERY far. at the time my sister had lymphoma (she's in remission now yay :)) and one of our friends talked to one of the staffers and asked that my sister was able to see yoshiki. so she got pushed all the way to the front, and i was able to go with her :blink: it was amazing, an otakon that we'll never forgot. thank you midori ;-; and thanks to that staffer! we never caught his name >_<

[edited for crediting the mysterious staffer!]

OHWAIT! i thought of one that was funny x'DD

i think it was Otakon '07 when Kouta Hirano (the Hellsing artist) came and he was having an autograph session. Well, my hubby is REALLY into Hellsing and was so excited about this that its the only reason he got tickets to go to Otakon that year. Well, while i let him go off to the Hellsing cosplay meetup, i waited for the autograph session. I was 4 hours early. i waited where the front of the line would start. There was still a line there from the other autograph session with a band (i think). Well, i waited and waited... and then i realized that a group of people started their own "pre-line" thing. i went over there to see what it was about and asked a staff member about it. He said he had no idea why the line was formed, so, i went back to my previous location. My hubby came back with his roommate and we just hung out for the extra hour we had left...

Well, when the go-ahead was given we jumped to the front of the actual line. Everyone was pissed. The staffers had to get the people behind us to calm down from being upset x'DD

needless to say, my hubby, I and his roommate were the first in line, and the first ones in the room to see him~ <33

Hirano-san was so excited about the silver sharpie we brought with us too x'DDD

(wow, long post is long @___@ )

Now for my con story; a few years ago while staffing AUSA at the Sheraton premier hotel we had a guy that TRIED to steal some of our projectors but was caught on camera. The hotel security at the time was awful, they couldn't lock any of the rooms that were not 24hour rooms. Now to show the ineptitude of the hotel security, these rooms are normally locked cause we had to get the hotels staff to unlock those rooms when we used to go there to do a walk through to get ourselves prepped for the con. Jesse Morrow actually caught the guy cause the guy was stupid enough that he stayed till sunday afternoon. He left the video projectors sitting in his car right in the parking lot for a full day. Full criminal charges have been pressed against the guy for that little felony and last I heard he's doing now some time (remember kids steal something of value of over $50 and it's considered a felony, I think).

At Otakon 2006, my friends and I got stuck in a parking garage elevator for a half hour or so. The fire department had to be called to get us out.

At Otakon 2006, my friends and I got stuck in a parking garage elevator for a half hour or so. The fire department had to be called to get us out.

Did you guys have enough video games in there to help you pass the time? :lol:

I'm not sure if meeting ManFaye is my worst OR best con experience...

worst con storys was my first otakon 1998, turned out my friend wasn't so much and I had a brace on my foot the whole time xD feel over for no reason at the registration line too *stops to reminisce the days when registration line was small and inside a hotel hall way*

then there was Animenext 2008, my first bigger con artist alley and we were shoved in a parking garage D: and hot STINKY poorly ventilated parking garage and lots of mean people who wouldn't let us load :lol: Saturday after noon the mostly badly sung karoke was super loud and gave most the alley headaches then that night the whole level was treated to sounds of the porno dubbing pannel next door and the staff didn't want to do anything when we complained. I went to the J-rock concert that year just to find out the 50 bucks I spent on vip tickets got me standing room in a PIT where some girl took it as her purpose in life to see me in pain and out of her way and NO ONE around us bothered to shower D:

...then there was Animenext 2008, my first bigger con artist alley and we were shoved in a parking garage D: and hot STINKY poorly ventilated parking garage and lots of mean people who wouldn't let us load :lol: Saturday after noon the mostly badly sung karoke was super loud and gave most the alley headaches then that night the whole level was treated to sounds of the porno dubbing pannel next door and the staff didn't want to do anything when we complained. I went to the J-rock concert that year just to find out the 50 bucks I spent on vip tickets got me standing room in a PIT where some girl took it as her purpose in life to see me in pain and out of her way and NO ONE around us bothered to shower D:

So this isn't a bad experience...knock on wood *KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK* I haven't had any really horrible con experiences. However:

I think it was Otakon 2007 and it was in the evening. I was walking around the inner harbor with my friends as Jack Skellington and I needed to go to the bathroom. So I, being a female, went into the ladies room, and went right into a stall, where I removed my mask. I came out and literally 7 or 8 women were all standing there waiting for me to come out. I smiled and asked what was wrong, and they started spouting off about how they thought I was a man and what the heck were all these people running around in costumes. I laughed and explained Otakon, and proceeded to pose for several pictures--all in the ladies room.

Again, not a horrible experience, more of a fond memory that makes me smile (:

Another funny one was when I was Julia from Bebop with my friend (he as Spike) and we had rolled PAPER fake cigarettes and a BCC employer was convinced they were real and lit and yelled at us to put them out. We had to unroll them to show her that they weren't real :lol:

otakon 2006!

i was waiting in line with my younger sister and a few friends were waiting to get autographs from yoshiki. the line was huge @_@;; and we were thinking that we most likely weren't going to get his autograph since we were very, VERY far. at the time my sister had lymphoma (she's in remission now yay :D) and one of our friends talked to one of the staffers and asked that my sister was able to see yoshiki. so she got pushed all the way to the front, and i was able to go with her :D it was amazing, an otakon that we'll never forgot. thank you midori ;-; and thanks to that staffer! we never caught his name >_<

[edited for crediting the mysterious staffer!]