Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

generaldom

Share Your Best/Worst Con Stories!

All of my experiences at cons have been fantastic - with otakon's being the best.

So I'll just list some unique things that have happened to me:

1. My first year cosplaying was in 2007 as Aeris with her pole [from FF7]. Friday morning me and a friend walked into the Bank of America across the street to withdraw some cash for the weekend. As soon as we walked into the bank ALL eyes fell onto me. I was so embarrassed because this was my first time trying a cosplay and Ive never been looked at like that before. On top of that my friend was trying to make me feel better by talking to me about some anime, but he was really loud and it was just adding to the embarrassment. To make matters worst the teller was laughing at me the entire time. I was so happy to get out of there - but after that I got used to cosplaying and it doesnt bother me anymore :D

2. this happens every year........... Saturday Im trying to run and find a quick bite to eat. This becomes an adventure because the subway runs out of bread, the california tortilla has a 40 min wait, the other subway in the harbor mall also runs out of bread, and there's no place to sit in that mall anyway LOL. I ended up missing a panel I wanted to go to because I couldnt find a place to eat

In 2007 me and some friends saturday night had the munchies and we thought we could walk into the 7-eleven and get a snack :::bursts out laughing:::

I have NEVER in my life seen a store that empty before. I didnt think that was possible....

3. every year at katsucon I would fall asleep and some random staffer would pop up out of nowhere and wake me up >_<

Why does Katsucon (among Baltimore/DC conventions) always seem to have the worst convention stories?

My worst convention story was Katsucon 11 (2005) when they were in two hotels. I was part of Registration staff that year. I got there Thursday night. It was me and another registration who were the Thursday night help for the head of Registration. He didn't show up (due to tons of traffic) until after 11 PM, so we set up and ran registration ourselves that night. Katsucon has slowly gotten better over the years, but I made a vow to not staff Katsucon again.

My best convention story was Anime Expo 2008. The Guests of Honor Breakfast has been the highlight of my fannish life. It was only for 100 people in the VIP Lounge of the Nokia Theatre. People got a chance to spend 15 minutes with each guest of honor. I spent time with five of them including Masahiro Ando, Hiromi Kato and David Hayter. I got regailed with stories about life at Madhouse studios, living the life of a public blogger (Shoko Nakagawa's question) and how David Hayter got writing credits on the first X-Men movie. This only cost $20, so they weren't making money on it. They were making people's weekends with that sort of access.

Why does Katsucon (among Baltimore/DC conventions) always seem to have the worst convention stories?

My worst convention story was Katsucon 11 (2005) when they were in two hotels. I was part of Registration staff that year. I got there Thursday night. It was me and another registration who were the Thursday night help for the head of Registration. He didn't show up (due to tons of traffic) until after 11 PM, so we set up and ran registration ourselves that night. Katsucon has slowly gotten better over the years, but I made a vow to not staff Katsucon again.

My best convention story was Anime Expo 2008. The Guests of Honor Breakfast has been the highlight of my fannish life. It was only for 100 people in the VIP Lounge of the Nokia Theatre. People got a chance to spend 15 minutes with each guest of honor. I spent time with five of them including Masahiro Ando, Hiromi Kato and David Hayter. I got regailed with stories about life at Madhouse studios, living the life of a public blogger (Shoko Nakagawa's question) and how David Hayter got writing credits on the first X-Men movie. This only cost $20, so they weren't making money on it. They were making people's weekends with that sort of access.

I never thought about that. It -is- a bit chilly out there. Are there any other cons that are held in Winter?

Two Best Experiences-

1) Kosaikon 2003- it was a really tiny convention at Villanova University (only about 75 people total.) It was my first con, and I loved it. Met a lot of really good people, had a fan following in the Super Smash Bros. Tournament (who knew by playing Blue Kirby I'd be so popular?), got addicted to Risky Safety and the terrible TMNT show. Can't beat my first con experience.

2) Otakon 2004- My first Otakon. This was my first time doing LARP, which is pretty much all I do at cons now, but the true highlight had to be the L'Arc~en~ciel concert. I was exhausted, but as soon as the show started I got really excited. (Plus nothing beats "No! Never! Dolphin!")

Worst experience would have to be Katsuon 2009. It had to be the most poorly organized convention I've ever been to. Registration was a disaster- one line for pre-reg and at the door, with no one knowing where the lines were. I saw people jumping in everywhere, and I probably spent about three hours in line on Friday evening to get in. Plus, once we did get in there were so many people that you couldn't move! I got stuck on the elevators for twenty minutes just trying to get to the third floor, but some idiot had pushed buttons so it stopped on every floor of the hotel. I'm hoping the move to a bigger location next year will help things.

well to be fair some of Katsu's earlier years were great, but something happened when they moved to those 2 hotels in '05. That and what I heard about the Katsu

08 con are among the 2 worst cons ever. In '05 the 2 hotels, well the whole this would have been great buy for they chose a hotel that was undergoing renovation

not semi-construction. Lets face folks the first year a convention moves to a new spot from a successful spot always seem to be disastrous, don't know why that is....

Look at Anime USA, we moved a total of 3 times and the worst we had to deal with was the D.C. sniper and the fact we also occured after 9-11-01 when airtravel

was almost non existent for awhile.

Poor katsucon09 - I feel kinda sorry for them. Lots of people complained about not liking it this year. They might even have a lower attendance next year because of the problems. It's ashame because 2010 is going to be at that new resort place, which will [hopefully] solve the problems they had this year..... like the reg/pre-reg line. I've heard horror stories about that line. Personally I paided at the door so I only waited 15 mins in line. I realize that's totally not fair to people who pre-reg and waited 3 or more hours.... in the cold.

As far as stories go - I was cosplaying as Emma and while walking across that highway/street to get something to eat, someone from their car was yelling insults as me. It confused me at first because Ive never had that happen to me before. They werent anything really mean, just stupid things. They thought I was Amish :D .... which is no reason to make fun of someone!

Best thing about Katsu09 - the freakin' masquerade. It was seriously the best masquerade that Ive seen at ANY con. 90% of the skits were clap-worthy. It was probably because of their 'no yaoi skit' rule. Im so glad they did that.

Poor katsucon09 - I feel kinda sorry for them. Lots of people complained about not liking it this year. They might even have a lower attendance next year because of the problems. It's ashame because 2010 is going to be at that new resort place, which will [hopefully] solve the problems they had this year..... like the reg/pre-reg line. I've heard horror stories about that line. Personally I paided at the door so I only waited 15 mins in line. I realize that's totally not fair to people who pre-reg and waited 3 or more hours.... in the cold.

As far as stories go - I was cosplaying as Emma and while walking across that highway/street to get something to eat, someone from their car was yelling insults as me. It confused me at first because Ive never had that happen to me before. They werent anything really mean, just stupid things. They thought I was Amish :D .... which is no reason to make fun of someone!

Best thing about Katsu09 - the freakin' masquerade. It was seriously the best masquerade that Ive seen at ANY con. 90% of the skits were clap-worthy. It was probably because of their 'no yaoi skit' rule. Im so glad they did that.

The shenanigans in the hotels are part of the appeal for me. I'd probably pay for a room even if I did live down the street. =P

Also, what if there was some way to pay 5 bucks and have the badges mailed to us? That'd cut down on line-standing time, right?

Also, what if there was some way to pay 5 bucks and have the badges mailed to us? That'd cut down on line-standing time, right?

[sTAFF MODE OFF]

While it probably would cut down some of the initial line-standing time, the possibility of counterfeiting or of someone giving their badge to a friend is much, much higher if the badges are mailed. I don't expect Otakon ever to mail badges, for those reasons.

[sTAFF MODE ON]

Resuming topic;

I bumped past L'Arc~en~Ciel at Otakon 2004 to get back into the workshop I was attending, and didn't even notice. Not even a little bit, until I realized I was getting some serious stinkeye from the SpecOps phalanx around the band. Whoops. I've also run into (almost literally) Tomokazu Seki, and Yasuhiro Nightow [Trigun's mangaka] took my picture when I got his autograph.

Oh! Last year on Saturday night when I was chained to Panel Ops, another staffer stopped by and asked if anyone wanted anything from Hooter's. And then he brought me back chicken wings. It was the best day ever.

Most of my con happy-stories are from the staff side of things; sorry, heh.

[sTAFF MODE OFF]

While it probably would cut down some of the initial line-standing time, the possibility of counterfeiting or of someone giving their badge to a friend is much, much higher if the badges are mailed. I don't expect Otakon ever to mail badges, for those reasons.

[sTAFF MODE ON]

Resuming topic;

I bumped past L'Arc~en~Ciel at Otakon 2004 to get back into the workshop I was attending, and didn't even notice. Not even a little bit, until I realized I was getting some serious stinkeye from the SpecOps phalanx around the band. Whoops. I've also run into (almost literally) Tomokazu Seki, and Yasuhiro Nightow [Trigun's mangaka] took my picture when I got his autograph.

Oh! Last year on Saturday night when I was chained to Panel Ops, another staffer stopped by and asked if anyone wanted anything from Hooter's. And then he brought me back chicken wings. It was the best day ever.

I remember that breakfast, and remember seeing you there! I got to chat with Toshihiko Seki, and we joked about how difficult it was for him to dub David Tennant's fast-talking in Doctor Who (he voices the Doctor in that region's dub). "So fast! How can he talk so fast!?"

No, don't be sorry. We wanna hear more of these cool staff experiences. Do you ever get gifts from con-goers?

Not for me, no; last year, a con-goer gave me a gift to give to Kappei Yamaguchi (a South Park Kyle UFO plushie), but that's about it. Someone told me I should think about being Con Chair. Someone else was loudly and almost violently angry with me on a Sunday morning for cancelling his panel when he was a no-show. It really runs the whole spectrum.

Oh! Last year, the guy dressed as Anonymous walking around with the little boombox wandered past Panel Ops twice, very late on Friday night. The first time, he was playing Fresh Prince. The second time, it was the Russian national anthem. It was simultaneously amazing and terrifying.

I don't think I'd call these two my best or worst con experience but it definably was one of the more unforgettable ones.

2006 I went, stayed at the Hampton Inn BWI airport hotel, if anyone remembers there was a Yankee/Oriole game...Friday night I had the worst stomach cramps so I slept in on Saturday and one of my friends came to retrieve me and right as we got to the convention center we realized I had left my badge! So back out we go, and on the way back..what do we hit? Traffic of course. Sitting in there eating Wendy's{which we swear we ordered from someone with gang tats} we just slowly moved through traffic not much going on until the van infront of us opened it's doors and about seven grown men{20s-40s} come running out, some with beer bottles in hand and go right to the very thin wooded area on the side of the road...to relieve themselves. AND THAT WASN'T ALL. NOT ALL OF THEM FACED AWAY FROM THE ROAD. Two minutes after they went back to the car the driver and someone else came to take a piss. Nasty but one thing I will never forget.

Now in 2007 one of my room-mates would only eat one type of mayo on their sandwich, so like nice friends{and sister!} we walked to one store..they were out..then to 7-11, wrong kind, to another convenience store, they were out, so FINALLY after 8 city blocks we found some freaking Hellman's mayo! Lesson here kids, always pack the right condiments!

Oh! Last year, the guy dressed as Anonymous walking around with the little boombox wandered past Panel Ops twice, very late on Friday night. The first time, he was playing Fresh Prince. The second time, it was the Russian national anthem. It was simultaneously amazing and terrifying.

I don't think I'd call these two my best or worst con experience but it definably was one of the more unforgettable ones.

Now in 2007 one of my room-mates would only eat one type of mayo on their sandwich, so like nice friends{and sister!} we walked to one store..they were out..then to 7-11, wrong kind, to another convenience store, they were out, so FINALLY after 8 city blocks we found some freaking Hellman's mayo! Lesson here kids, always pack the right condiments!

I don't see how someone could care -that- much about a type of mayo. They're not all that different, right? :o I probably wouldn't have walked the eight blocks with them, haha. :D

At least you picked Hellman's. Anything else (excluding homemade) isn't actually mayo.

Just about my favorite con memory is watching the audience react to the animated opening we did last year. Hopefully this year will have a similarly fun moment for me. :D

I forgot to mention my favorite Otakon convention memory. It was 2007 and hearing Eminence. Only at Otakon can you have riveted to instrumental anime music for an hour and a half. It was one of those things that I talked about on that interview I did at Otakon last year. I wonder whatever happened with those interviews from last year's Otakon.

No, don't be sorry. We wanna hear more of these cool staff experiences. Do you ever get gifts from con-goers?

At least you picked Hellman's. Anything else (excluding homemade) isn't actually mayo.

Not for me, no

hey Im planning on bringing a gift for a staffer for all their help...if i know their name would the Q&A table staffers be able to get it to them?

You can try the info desk, but remember that they're very busy and it's not likely that you'd be able to present it to the staffer in question yourself. Remember, also, that a lot of our staff fly in from out of town, so your gift should follow similar guidelines to the Guest Gift info on the website (that is, it should be small, unlikely to break, and easy to pack in a suitcase). Please don't wrap it in paper (if you want to use a gift bag, that's okay).

Oh, and to the person who asked about the Anonymous guy: He was wearing a black suit, white shirt, black tie, a Guy Fawkes mask, and an afro wig.

Now that I've thoroughly derailed things, back to topic - best/worst con stories.

Just about my favorite con memory is watching the audience react to the animated opening we did last year. Hopefully this year will have a similarly fun moment for me. :D

I didn't get to see the opening animation until closing ceremonies last year, but it really was wonderful. Everyone was cheering and hooting and yelling; the whole room just felt so warm and fuzzy. Definitely one of my very very favorite Otakon moments!

I think my worst Otakon was 2006 although not so much the cons fault.

One of my roomies obviously had a cat, who had been sleeping in his/her luggage and... "marking" it. The room smelled like cat urine for the entire weekend, and it was the first con where I got little to no sleep due to that.

That same year, I had friends fly in from out of state. It was crazy, attempting to manage a group of people. Everyone wanted to do stuff together but everyone wanted to do different things. I tried to compromise, and it just never worked. Eventually, I just walked off on my own and did what I wanted to do and told them to do the same. -.- My best friend and I had a blast after that.

Wasn't 2006 the year the Yankees were in town also?

One of the worst memories I have from Otakon was a crossplay Cammie from Street Fighter. *rubs eyes...* I'm still trying to get over the image. More power to people who can do such things but PLEASE PLEASE think of the children when you wear skin tight girls camo speedos as a guy...

:blush:

Best anime experience would probably be meeting Hilary Hagg at Anime North. Driving up to toronto. The con wasn't overly big, like Otakon, but Toronto was definitely fun! And at the time I LOVED Hilary. Like... wanted to marry her. haha :P

Most of my best con experiences to date have to do with the music end of the spectrum. :3 The first big one being AnimeNext ... '07, I believe? 12012. Went to the concert on a whim, didn't get there crazy early or anything since it wasn't a band I knew too well at the time. I'd been to j-rock concerts outside of cons before, but this was the first in-con concert I'd experienced. Didn't regret it in the slightest. Loved the atmosphere, and I loved the band. They ended up being the first real big interaction I'd ever had with a j-rock band. The Q&A session, the signings - at first I was sort of bummed since I missed out on tickets to get my picture taken with them. But it turned out by wandering there early, I'd ended up first on line to get my CD signed. So when the lines got separated, finally, I got to stand basically five feet away and watch as everyone filed through, which was pretty dang awesome. It was such a great experience.

Then last year's Otakon... such a great experience, too. The first Otakon where I got to stay all three days, and the first year I really ran around as an independent. I'd learned the lay of the land from the year before, so the only time I got lost was when I was trying to find the dealer's room. Again. (Seriously. Dealer's room and artists' alley, for some reason, I always seem to have a problem. XD) A big part of my incentive for going was when it was announced the Underneath was going to be there. (Lucky for me I was planning on going anyway and my friend had a hotel and all set up.) I'd seen them on the Taste of Chaos tour along with D'espairsRay and MUCC - I'd loved their set and fallen in love with 'em, but sadly, they'd been the only band that hadn't done a signing after the show was done.

Sure made up for it that weekend. Not only did I make up for the signing in spades, not only did I find two new bands to love on in the process, but one of my favorite moments had to have been before the panel all the vocalists attended. I think it was a discussion on the rise of j-rock in America? Took place on Saturday if I remember right... anyway. I was trying to find the end of the line in the hall. When all of a sudden I almost ran straight into a really, REALLY awesome Taka cosplayer.

It took me a minute of standing there in the poor guy's way to realize, hosnap, that's no cosplayer. He kind of looked at me funny for a second before I got out of the way, and bam, the whole band's walking by. XD One of my lamest moments, but probably still one of my favorite moments to date. Captures what I loved about the whole weekend, being so close to these people on such a tangible level.

Not to mention I actually got to be first on line for the concert, which was another big first for me. I got to be right up front, and man was it an amazing concert. They all put on such a great show, seriously. I literally screamed until I had no voice left to scream with. Hope this year can measure up! X3

Lol I think you just became my sister's favorite person on the Otakon boards.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about Hellmann's. I'm nearly as bad. I order sandwiches & hamburgers plain so I can take them home & put Hellmann's on them. There's just something about Hellmann's, that no other brand is even comparable.

Back on topic here:

Last year I took a friend of mine to AnimeNext for his 1st con ever. Didn't even have our badges for a whole 20 minutes before I got this phone call from him:

Friend: Umm Chantal, they kicked me out of the con.

Me: What happened?

Friend: I just bought a 6 foot samurai sword in the Dealers Room. Next thing I know they're escorting me out of the expo center. What did I do wrong?

My worst con? that would be...2001 I think. My first Otakon. I lost my wallet with checks, cash, credit cards, even my ID and I was halfway to the con before I noticed. I just happened to have $5 in my pocket and that was IT for the weekend. On top of that, I was riding Greyhound that year and there was confusion on just where I was supposed to get off to meet my friends. I somehow ended up in Atlanta's airport at 1am with no way to get home or even prove who I was. After someone (who I am sure was just trying to be helpful) pointed out some nice benches for spending the night on, I had a meltdown and started crying until my friends came and rescued me. My friends were all really cool though and chipped in for my share of food/hotel and whatnot. The con did get much better after that.

My best con would probably have been last year's. I met old friends and a few new ones. We spent a lot of time just hanging out, but saw a lot of the con as well. One thing that I love about these conventions is how you can meet total strangers while waiting in line and within five minutes be laughing and joking as if you've all been buddies for years.

One thing that I love about these conventions is how you can meet total strangers while waiting in line and within five minutes be laughing and joking as if you've all been buddies for years.

Don't worry about length, we love these stories! I know I do. :P This is gonna be my first Otakon, so it's cool to read all of these experiences. It gives me a lot to look forward to.

So, by all means, continue sharing. :blush:

Last year was my first year of going to Otakon. Friday I saw that I had sort of a runny nose during the convention so Saturday before I left my house I took an allergy pill. Due to the high heat and a side effect from the medication, my nose was bleeding on and off for 4 hours straight. It was really fun going around the harbor to different public bathroom stalls and then leaving them looking like a crime scene from CSI: Miami.

My best experience is actually two separate ones. Otakon 2001 was one of them. It was the year we went to see Larc' en Ceil in concert. That concert will forever remain the BEST musical experience of that year. We got one of our non J music lover friends to go with us and she loved it. "Baltimore, do you like crabs?" ^.^ Later I found out that while waiting in line a cameraman passed by us recording. Just so happens he was recording for the Larc concert DVD. I won that DVD at AnimeUSA 2007. Greatest memento to possibly show future kids. "Yes babies your mama is a geek, and I'm sure you will be too."

The second one was at AUSA 07 when M.O.V.E performed. Motsue called me "kawaii". At first I had no clue what he was saying so I just looked at him a bit dumbly, before squealing like an idiot. :(

yoo...i definitely remember that cammy...was not a good look..at all..lolol.

best con experiences:

2003 - seeing 3 girls dressed up as mai from fatal fury...dayum...that was a lovely thing to see, lololol.

2004 - incredible energy from the otaku rave..seeing some funny amv's...great weekend with 2 of my closest friends..

2005 - had a huge hotel room and kicked it with a good 7 of my buddies.....goofed off, cracked jokes on each other...met a lot of good people at the otaku rave....really good time...

2007 - another incredible otakon...only thing is we got a hotel too late so it was in glen burnie, but it was definitely a lot of fun....got a ken action figure and a classic street fighter 2 shirt..ryu doing a hadoken and ken doing a shoryuken....i still get mad compliments on that shirt...lolol.

2008 - worse experience...a lot of friends couldn't go cuz of different reasons...an internship i couldn't get because some idiot lost my resume....so it took me a lot longer to get the money which resulted in me having to register at the otakon *i've been pre-registering since 2005*....-___-...staying at my friend's house...even though i wuz really appreciative cuz i had no where to stay....let's just say i was kinda on her time...that resulted in me missing a great portion of otakon...never ever doing that again....

2009 - high hopes...hotel is on lock and walking distance..will have the money i need by next week....and the same ppl i went to otakon 2007 + a few more homies. can't wait ^___^

One of the worst memories I have from Otakon was a crossplay Cammie from Street Fighter. *rubs eyes...* I'm still trying to get over the image. More power to people who can do such things but PLEASE PLEASE think of the children when you wear skin tight girls camo speedos as a guy...

Last year was my first Otakon; i went alone & roomed with people who i didn't know at all. They all ended up being awesome. :)

....and i completely forgot to get any contact info. Not even anyone's screenname. :\

Last year was my first year of going to Otakon. Friday I saw that I had sort of a runny nose during the convention so Saturday before I left my house I took an allergy pill. Due to the high heat and a side effect from the medication, my nose was bleeding on and off for 4 hours straight. It was really fun going around the harbor to different public bathroom stalls and then leaving them looking like a crime scene from CSI: Miami.

Well the only Con I ever went to was Otakon 2001. (yeah I know a pretty long break in between cons huh?) Well my favorite moment of the con was sitting in the AMVs on I believe it was a Saturday Afternoon and watching the video Right Now from Doki Doki Productions. I remember everyone standing and cheering during that one amv. It was amazing.

My worst con story is 100 percent my own fault. This year at Katsucon I partook a bit too much in uh...we'll say adult beverage appreciation. Which aside from kicking back a few drinks, flat out getting wasted just isn't something I usually do, and to be honest I don't even know why I did this time. USUALLY, I'm the responsible one. But I was perfectly fine then it hit me all of a sudden like a ton of bricks and I left to go back to the room...and couldn't remember my room number. Actually what I thought was my number didn't exist and was a utility closet. I walked past this same group sitting in the hall over and over, with them giving me stranger and stranger looks each time. I can laugh about it now, but at the time it was absolutely awful. Like an hour passed until I ran into one of my other friends in the hall, who were like "uh, didn't you leave a long time ago?". I got to the room and completely passed out...and I'm told a party broke out at some point and I slept right through it.

I was pretty mad at myself...for one I'm probably too old to be acting like that...and secondly because I completely missed most of Saturday night and then had the worst hangover I've ever had on Sunday. I kind of thought they were gonna have to roll me out on a luggage cart (but I actually recovered enough to make to see the YMCK show again).

So long story short...don't over do it...it ruins your night.

My worst con story is 100 percent my own fault. This year at Katsucon I partook a bit too much in uh...we'll say adult beverage appreciation. Which aside from kicking back a few drinks, flat out getting wasted just isn't something I usually do, and to be honest I don't even know why I did this time. USUALLY, I'm the responsible one. But I was perfectly fine then it hit me all of a sudden like a ton of bricks and I left to go back to the room...and couldn't remember my room number. Actually what I thought was my number didn't exist and was a utility closet. I walked past this same group sitting in the hall over and over, with them giving me stranger and stranger looks each time. I can laugh about it now, but at the time it was absolutely awful. Like an hour passed until I ran into one of my other friends in the hall, who were like "uh, didn't you leave a long time ago?". I got to the room and completely passed out...and I'm told a party broke out at some point and I slept right through it.

I was pretty mad at myself...for one I'm probably too old to be acting like that...and secondly because I completely missed most of Saturday night and then had the worst hangover I've ever had on Sunday. I kind of thought they were gonna have to roll me out on a luggage cart (but I actually recovered enough to make to see the YMCK show again).

My second best convention memory is my first Otakon. I was living in Florida the summer before I started college working full time for my families company and living with an aunt and uncle. There was no one around who was my age, and it was so dull. So I ended getting back in contact with someone from my universities anime club that I had met at Orientation and set out to improve a weekend of my summer by going to Otakon.

I flew up and it was my first time in a major city alone. Before hand I had planned everything but still managed to get lost trying to find the hotel at 1am when my flight landed. Once things were settled it turned out to be the best thing that happened to me that summer. The people were all wonderful, the events were a blast, and the entire thing overall was just amazing.

Speaking of drinking way to much, which I've done my fair share of (but never really got too crazy, I just talk a lot)...I heard about this the next morning since I passed out at 11pm on Friday night of this con.

Friday night at Anime USA 2008 my boyfriend was well, very very very very very very far gone (he drank an entire bottle of Jameson by himself). He was running around the hotel/hotel kitchen taking off his clothing with my 16 year old sister running after him. I believe he kept the shiny purple vest someone brought on him though. My sister doesn't drink, but she diligently ran after him at all hours of the morning apologizing to whomever. He also doesn't talk to people, but went up to some lady, called her beautiful, apologized, called her beautiful again, apologized, ect ect. Then he went up to a regular con photographer, gushed over his camera, then continued running around with my sister behind him.

Eventually he came back to the room out of his drunken concern for me. He burst into the hotel room while a party was going on, kicked my passed out body not believing it was me, decided that it indeed was not me, went into the bathroom, decided that the toilet was me, and slept next to it the rest of the night "holding" me. Our hotel room for this con was pretty sweet, it had two bathrooms (BUT NO BEDS). However, everyone decided to use the toilet over him, and take photo's of it.

Around 4am or so, my sister was finally attempting to go to sleep, when another one of my friends burst through the door, threw her flip flops at her, and demanded she go with him...which she did. They rode the elevators for about 2 hours having a jolly good time! She eventually went to bed around 630, only to wake up at 930. She felt fine, I felt fine, but my boyfriend had the worst hangover of his life. He was 24 at the time, and stayed in bed the whole Saturday of the con feeling like death.

Which leads into Saturday night!

We went to dinner around 6pm with a big group of people over at the Hibachi place. We all had a great time at dinner. So we go back to the room, my boyfriend and I decide not to drink this time. After a few hours people are chilling and having a good time in our room, when out of the blue, about 15 lolitas stormed into the room...apparently invited by someone. It was fine and dandy until they started to kick the walls and knock over furniture in the room, oh and they were also screaming the entire time. My boyfriend got up and stormed out of the room. My sister threw them all out in a very angry fashion before any kind of security showed up. Around 1230 I got worried about Pat (my BF) so myself and two other people decided to go look for him. I mentioned the story about the "fight" on the parking lot earlier, so thats what led into that.

After we found him it was about 3am, so we wanted to go to sleep. I asked everyone nicely to leave the room. Around 330am, no one left. Some guy came in pretending to be "con security" and asking for all of our alcohol. I woke up, told him to take it all, and then he was all "J/K IM SO AND SO FROM SOME WEBSITE YOU KNOW". And then I lost my temper. I threw the door open, and told everyone to get out of my room in a very not to polite fashion, while pointing at the people in my room trying to sleep. We managed to sneak out of the con the next morning without running into any of the people we kicked out since we were really angry, but overall, AUSA has always been one of the best cons we go too.

Speaking of drinking way to much, which I've done my fair share of (but never really got too crazy, I just talk a lot)...I heard about this the next morning since I passed out at 11pm on Friday night of this con.

Friday night at Anime USA 2008 my boyfriend was well, very very very very very very far gone (he drank an entire bottle of Jameson by himself). He was running around the hotel/hotel kitchen taking off his clothing with my 16 year old sister running after him. I believe he kept the shiny purple vest someone brought on him though. My sister doesn't drink, but she diligently ran after him at all hours of the morning apologizing to whomever. He also doesn't talk to people, but went up to some lady, called her beautiful, apologized, called her beautiful again, apologized, ect ect. Then he went up to a regular con photographer, gushed over his camera, then continued running around with my sister behind him.

Eventually he came back to the room out of his drunken concern for me. He burst into the hotel room while a party was going on, kicked my passed out body not believing it was me, decided that it indeed was not me, went into the bathroom, decided that the toilet was me, and slept next to it the rest of the night "holding" me. Our hotel room for this con was pretty sweet, it had two bathrooms (BUT NO BEDS). However, everyone decided to use the toilet over him, and take photo's of it.

Around 4am or so, my sister was finally attempting to go to sleep, when another one of my friends burst through the door, threw her flip flops at her, and demanded she go with him...which she did. They rode the elevators for about 2 hours having a jolly good time! She eventually went to bed around 630, only to wake up at 930. She felt fine, I felt fine, but my boyfriend had the worst hangover of his life. He was 24 at the time, and stayed in bed the whole Saturday of the con feeling like death.

Which leads into Saturday night!

We went to dinner around 6pm with a big group of people over at the Hibachi place. We all had a great time at dinner. So we go back to the room, my boyfriend and I decide not to drink this time. After a few hours people are chilling and having a good time in our room, when out of the blue, about 15 lolitas stormed into the room...apparently invited by someone. It was fine and dandy until they started to kick the walls and knock over furniture in the room, oh and they were also screaming the entire time. My boyfriend got up and stormed out of the room. My sister threw them all out in a very angry fashion before any kind of security showed up. Around 1230 I got worried about Pat (my BF) so myself and two other people decided to go look for him. I mentioned the story about the "fight" on the parking lot earlier, so thats what led into that.

After we found him it was about 3am, so we wanted to go to sleep. I asked everyone nicely to leave the room. Around 330am, no one left. Some guy came in pretending to be "con security" and asking for all of our alcohol. I woke up, told him to take it all, and then he was all "J/K IM SO AND SO FROM SOME WEBSITE YOU KNOW". And then I lost my temper. I threw the door open, and told everyone to get out of my room in a very not to polite fashion, while pointing at the people in my room trying to sleep. We managed to sneak out of the con the next morning without running into any of the people we kicked out since we were really angry, but overall, AUSA has always been one of the best cons we go too.

Quick note: Jameson's sneaks up on you. I speak from personal experience, and have resolved to limit myself quite a bit in future. I'm a pretty big guy, but half a bottle over several hours is enough to put me WELL over the legal limit (without being completely incapacitated); and frankly, it's just not worth it. It messes with your sense of priority -- and most kids are NOT as skilled at judging their limits as they believe themselves to be. (A "kid" is anyone under 30, for these purposes.)

I just don't recommend Jameson period! Everyone should just drink good ol' Natty Boh.

While at the gym I tried to think of some Otakon related stories...

My boyfriend (again) back in Otakon 2005 dropped his cellphone in the fountains outside the BCC around 3am. He went swimming in after it, which I also don't recommend since people do pee and bathe in those fountains. Overall I always have a great time at Otakon, so many good memories!

I just don't recommend Jameson period! Everyone should just drink good ol' Natty Boh.

While at the gym I tried to think of some Otakon related stories...

My boyfriend (again) back in Otakon 2005 dropped his cellphone in the fountains outside the BCC around 3am. He went swimming in after it, which I also don't recommend since people do pee and bathe in those fountains. Overall I always have a great time at Otakon, so many good memories!

For some reason, I don't actually seem to go to many cons--I work them. I've worked Otakon for about 10 years, and attended...one. So needless to say, I don't see much of the con itself. Still, I do have a couple of stories, I think.

Last year, I took the US Ambassador to Japan and a handful of people from the Japanese Embassy around the con. They were totally awed by the sheer size and number of people that Otakon draws. Seeing their awe and impressed faces was pretty darned satisfying.

And the best experience I've had at Otakon was a couple of years ago. Like I said before, I hardly ever see much of the con. Several years I don't even get to see the dealers' room. So imagine my surprise when on Saturday night, who should walk in the door but Aaron Dismuke and Vic Mignogna. GR Staff were sweet enough to bring them over to say hi! And I got to hug both of them. I just wish I'd had a camera at the time.

And that also leads to a story that is not exactly bad or good. While Aaron and Vic were hanging out in the suite, Aaron had a bowl of Cup-O-Noodles. And this is very silly, but I was very pleased that he knows how to properly use chopsticks.

The only other thing I truly remember is about 100 or so staff members in a restaurant after the con all singing the opening to Star Blazers. And then being asked by other patrons if it was some sort of sports club fight song.

I have a lot of good stories that would take too long to list so I'll just jot down some bad ones since I have to go soon:

My first con (Otakon 2007) went badly simply because I was new to the whole thing. My biggest mistake was trying to see voice actors whose autograph sessions were within, say, an hour of each other. For that reason I was in line to see Vic Mignona and Aaron Dismuke (Elric brothers from FMA) for three hours but got cut off almost as it was my turn. Great opportnuity lost and lesson learned.

And I did get into a loud vocal argument at the nearby mall during Otakon 2008 with a girl over Death Note (she was an L supporter, I'm a Kira supporter). People all over the store were staring. After we'd finished arguing the store manager actually came over and asked me what that was all about. Its funny now...

My worst con experiences have to deal with food. It seems when I actually bring snacks and such that there is a convenient and cheap place to eat nearby. Then when i DON'T bring it, I starve all weekend long. See, isn't that the worst possible thing? :P

One of my favorite con memories was from last years Otakon, when i witnessed an EPIC battle between two baseball bat wielding fish. epic.