Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

generaldom

Share Your Best/Worst Con Stories!

And I did get into a loud vocal argument at the nearby mall during Otakon 2008 with a girl over Death Note (she was an L supporter, I'm a Kira supporter). People all over the store were staring. After we'd finished arguing the store manager actually came over and asked me what that was all about. Its funny now...

Quick note: Jameson's sneaks up on you. I speak from personal experience, and have resolved to limit myself quite a bit in future. I'm a pretty big guy, but half a bottle over several hours is enough to put me WELL over the legal limit (without being completely incapacitated); and frankly, it's just not worth it. It messes with your sense of priority -- and most kids are NOT as skilled at judging their limits as they believe themselves to be. (A "kid" is anyone under 30, for these purposes.)

Worst con story: *Because every Otakon...something has to happen to me lol* Otakon 2008...Saturday (which my friends have nicknamed "Dude? Where's Your Camera"): I was outside Artist Alley taking a rest, brushing my wig and somehow my camera fell out of my purse. Not five minutes later when I went to take a photo...I noticed said camera was missing. Needless to say...I freaked out and ran back down to AA...not there. When I finally got to the info booth my wig had frizzed and I was having a near heart attack. Someone found it and turned it into lost and found...I wish I could find that wonderful and honest person :P. This year...the camera will be chained to my cosplay lol.

Best con stories: Otakon 2004's L'Arc~en~Ciel concert...one of the most amazing days of my life <3. As well as Otakon 2006 when I met and got an autograph from Yoshiki Hayashi. I was turned away from the first autograph session...and lucky enough that I got in line for the second one at the Tofu booth on Sunday.

Oh and I completely forgot to mention, that during my night of entirely too much drinking I lost the gift card I'd gotten as part of the prize for winning in the amv contest. And at some point the room cleared out and they'd left Electronic Supersonic by Zlad looping endlessly on my laptop, and I didn't have the ability or willpower to get up and turn it off.

It really was the worst night ever.

I've been giving this one some thought.

I've only had one what I'd really call a bad experience at Otakon, and it was on a personal level with one of the people I was unfortunately sharing rooms with. Luckily, I no longer have contact with that person anymore.

My first Otakon was in 2001, when apparently the city of Baltimore was falling apart, To top it off I had to drive through one of the worst rainstorms I've ever been in on my way down I-95. And once I got there I swear I walked around the entire convention center before I found the pre-reg line. As I was making my way up the stairs I was wondering how I was going to meet up with my friends when one just happens to walk by right in front of me.

And despite all those hardships, I had a blast! That is the only con I stayed Friday and Saturday night till they kicked us out (Saturday was memorable with the fire alarms going off). I think I got by on 6 hours of total sleep that weekend. After I got home I told my then girlfriend she would have to come next year with us and we should both should cosplay.

In 2002 my gang of friends dressed as pretty much the entire cast of Megatokyo. The highlight was going to the Megatokyo panel and being called out by one of the hosts (

It's not really good but it's not bad just one thing I remember. Last years Otakon I was in the Super Smash Bros Brawl tournament, and I got pass the first round by sheer..I wouldn't even call it luck. My b button got stuck, and so it made Ike do his charge move, and the other guy who was Ike also was walking up behind me and as he got close the charge finished knocking him somehow out of the screen making me win. Only to go on to the next round to have my buttons stick again so I wasn't able to do up B to get Ike back on since his jump sucks after I fell off.

Hum too many of these WORST CON stories involve alcohol!!!

Well the only Con I ever went to was Otakon 2001. (yeah I know a pretty long break in between cons huh?) Well my favorite moment of the con was sitting in the AMVs on I believe it was a Saturday Afternoon and watching the video Right Now from Doki Doki Productions. I remember everyone standing and cheering during that one amv. It was amazing.

Best Con story ever was on the way home from Otakon 05 I think we met the Wiggles at like midnight at a rest stop in NJ... I know random not even at the con still the best story ever. Because we met the Wiggles!

This will probably never happen again but in 04 when the fountain area wasn't always a zoo my friends and I started a sweet game of Spin the Bottle in the middle of the floor which got very interesting as other random people started joining in the game?

And I think my worst story is last year I forgot my Card Captor Sakura staff at home and had to have my dad over night it to me which was fine but the hotel couldn't find it for like more then half the morning apparently they don't know how to deal with the Post Office mailing packages as opposed to friggen UPS. That ruined most of that morning for me as I was freaking out about it.

Oh my friend Tuffie got charged by a cockroach in one of the big theater rooms. And we were all kind of watching it the the rows in front of us before it did. So as it was charging her I took off my shoe and just ... SMASHed it . It was pretty awesome. and gross. She was like you saved me I didn't know what to do. (It was coming like straight at her)

Ah man I love Otakon

Oh my friend Tuffie got charged by a cockroach in one of the big theater rooms. And we were all kind of watching it the the rows in front of us before it did. So as it was charging her I took off my shoe and just ... SMASHed it . It was pretty awesome. and gross. She was like you saved me I didn't know what to do. (It was coming like straight at her)

I made a 20 dollar bet with a friend of mine that he wouldnt graduate from college that year. I hadnt seen him for a couple a months and as I was eyeing a box set to Saber Mariente J, I was 10 dollars short on buying, my friend walks up to me and says, "Here's the 20 dollars you basterd, I didnt graduate." I then yelled, "score," and bought the box set.

I know, I am a horrible person.

I made a 20 dollar bet with a friend of mine that he wouldnt graduate from college that year. I hadnt seen him for a couple a months and as I was eyeing a box set to Saber Mariente J, I was 10 dollars short on buying, my friend walks up to me and says, "Here's the 20 dollars you basterd, I didnt graduate." I then yelled, "score," and bought the box set.

I know, I am a horrible person.

I have some pictures to go with this:

I was at Ohayocon a few years back and found a guy dressed as a thwomp from the original mario. So I went and found a mario and had them pose for a picture like mario was getting thwamped.

Thwomp

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/kan...on/100_0528.jpg

+ Mario =

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/kan...on/100_0530.jpg

Worst Con Story: Katsucon 2006 I wound up catching pneumonia and had to go to the emergency room. The con was great, the con plague that year, not so much. I don't think I ever recall my friend and con-buddy speeding so much in my life.

Worst Otakon: Last year, 2008, I was sitting in a line, for what I don't recall, and a bunch of kids were goofing off. No big deal. Then one of them drop kicked me in the spine while they were "break dancing" or whatever, and didn't even bother to apologize. He made his friend apologize to me (I had spazzed on all of them). Then they had the audacity to ask me if they could come back over and continue break dancing. I had bruises for a long time.

Funniest Con Moment: well, its more of a hotel story than a con story, but it happened at otakon 2008. I woke up Sunday morning to my friends cursing violently. One of them had slipped and reached out to catch himself on the toilet... and broke the toilet in half. Like literally cracked the entire thing in half. It looked like someone had taken a sword to it. At first it was stressful, but I told him he broke it, he bought it (and he did). But after the initial shock wore off, it was pretty hilarious to us. He still hasn't lived it down.

Worst Con Story: Katsucon 2006 I wound up catching pneumonia and had to go to the emergency room. The con was great, the con plague that year, not so much. I don't think I ever recall my friend and con-buddy speeding so much in my life.

Worst Otakon: Last year, 2008, I was sitting in a line, for what I don't recall, and a bunch of kids were goofing off. No big deal. Then one of them drop kicked me in the spine while they were "break dancing" or whatever, and didn't even bother to apologize. He made his friend apologize to me (I had spazzed on all of them). Then they had the audacity to ask me if they could come back over and continue break dancing. I had bruises for a long time.

Funniest Con Moment: well, its more of a hotel story than a con story, but it happened at otakon 2008. I woke up Sunday morning to my friends cursing violently. One of them had slipped and reached out to catch himself on the toilet... and broke the toilet in half. Like literally cracked the entire thing in half. It looked like someone had taken a sword to it. At first it was stressful, but I told him he broke it, he bought it (and he did). But after the initial shock wore off, it was pretty hilarious to us. He still hasn't lived it down.

@Tim and Duelist - I have no idea how it happened, I just know that it did. The hotel couldn't quite believe it either. The maintenance guys were both staring in disbelief and cracking up at the unbelievability of the thing.

@MissV - I was too busy screaming at them and trying (unsuccessfully) not to break down and cry in pain.

Otakon 2007 was my best convention memory in my life, When I performed in the masquerade, I was Link, playing my ocarina.... I got a standing ovation and to me, I finally got my moment in the sun.

Otakon 2008 was the worst convention memory in my life, we were in line to get the voice of L Kappei Yamaguchi, we were next in line, but the line got cut off in the end, me and my friends were extremely upset about that.

Otakon 2007 was my best convention memory in my life, When I performed in the masquerade, I was Link, playing my ocarina.... I got a standing ovation and to me, I finally got my moment in the sun.

Otakon 2008 was the worst convention memory in my life, we were in line to get the voice of L Kappei Yamaguchi, we were next in line, but the line got cut off in the end, me and my friends were extremely upset about that.

Re: Link: Excellent job.

Re: missing out on autographs: I'm sorry to hear that, but sometimes it's just unavoidable. Keep in mind that we were his first experience at an event like this, and we were really concerned about over-committing him at the beginning. He was actually pretty nervous at first, and almost canceled out a few weeks before the con. But you guys made him feel like a big star, and we treated him like family. He ended up having a blast, and appeared at Sakura Con earlier this year. I think he'll be back to Otakon someday in the future. (Not this year though).

Best Otakon: Last year

Compared to the year before, 2007, last year's Otakon was a blast from my point of view. Almost every panel I went to was put together pretty well. I was able to get autographs to every guest I stood in line for (five to be exact since Richard and Ellen did a double autograph session). And just seeing the otaku hanging out in the hallways and having a good time just made it all come together in a warm fuzzy way. Oh, and JAMProject of course. And pretty sweet cosplaying on Saturday.

With even more awesome guests this year and panelists I'm looking forward to seeing, hopefully this year will outdo last year.

My best con experience consisted of these lines from this one musical guest:

"Did you eat crabs today?"

"Crabs??"

"Crabbbs???"

"I ate two..."

Can you folks guess the awesome guest that said these epic lines? hahahaha

Best con moment to date: besides Setsucon 2007-2009, which I had a blast staffing the gaming room each time (despite the huge stresses that built up before and then), the best convention moment was probably Saturday evening at Tekkoshocon 2009. This was when our group got to see Otakage, Freezepop, and Eyeshine perform on the main stage; the crowd was rather small compared to the rave afterwards, so we were literally up against the stage edge within touching distance of every musician (the photo angles were awesome!). From that concert we got a gift for one of our friends, who was a huge Freezepop fan but missed out on the con, that was literally priceless: one of the two Freezepop setlists, which was autographed and framed with a group picture of us and the band. I don't think I've ever seen our absentee friend in stunned silence for longer than a couple seconds, so the disbeliefed reaction we got from him was totally worth it.

Worst con moment to date: well, Setsucon 2008's "Guitar Hero Idol" competition was pretty horrendous, as my poor planning for that event didn't work out well at all (PS2s tend to skip like crazy when placed near a stage of excited, jumpy players). Otakon 2007's line for Vic Mignogna and Aaron Dismuke's autographs was quite a nightmare of several hours' waiting time, but I feel even worse for those who missed out entirely on the Tomokazu Seki autograph session.

So many memories over the past six Otakons...I would have to say my BEST experience was catching the L'Arc concert in '04 because it was such a big deal then, and I was pleased to get a good spot in the line going in the 'Arena right before the traffic pattern changed. That concert was awesome. My worst, no it wasn't in '07 (I think) when Aaron Dismuke wanted my wallet, but the day before when I had to run out of the Lolita Fashion Panel and throw up! I wasn't feelng too well all day Saturday probably becasue of something I ate that Friday. The good part of it was that I felt a whole lot better to attend at the DIY Lolita Panel later that night, a panel that to me remains invaluable.

My best con experience consisted of these lines from this one musical guest:

"Did you eat crabs today?"

"Crabs??"

"Crabbbs???"

"I ate two..."

Can you folks guess the awesome guest that said these epic lines? hahahaha

Well, I know -- and that particular moment was referenced (in a way) in last year's opening animation.

Can't believe I forgot this, but another awesome moment: jamming in Otakon 2008's Club Otaku room. Some of my fondest summer memories were created there, as it reminded me greatly of a college coffee house that always hosted an open jam session at the end. It's hard to remember what we played, but I must give props to Dom and his crew for making the convention so much more interactive and FUN. Hope this year's version will turn out well too!

Both times I dressed up as Lulu from FFX, townies thought I was a prostitute. At Metrocon, some guy on the bus lectured me on Jesus and told me to turn my life around, and this was after I told him about the anime convention. He also thought that my male friend with me who was wearing some sort of animal ears he bought his girlfriend was picking me up and lectured him too.

At Otakon, some Orioles game just got out and so everybody's grandma saw me waiting on the corner for my friends to pick me up. It was like a glaring contest.

Both times I dressed up as Lulu from FFX, townies thought I was a prostitute. At Metrocon, some guy on the bus lectured me on Jesus and told me to turn my life around, and this was after I told him about the anime convention. He also thought that my male friend with me who was wearing some sort of animal ears he bought his girlfriend was picking me up and lectured him too.

At Otakon, some Orioles game just got out and so everybody's grandma saw me waiting on the corner for my friends to pick me up. It was like a glaring contest.

My worst con story was in 2007 when I decided it would be a great idea to commute to Otakon. It's only about an hour trip, but both Friday and Saturday nights I was so exhausted that the drive back was NOT fun at all. Didn't even show up on Sunday on account of being so tired and not wanting to drive :(.

Best was 2008 when just by pure chance I ran into someone I went on foreign exchange with to Nanzan University in Nagoya, Japan for the 2001-2002 school year and hadn't seen since. Really unexpected but very, very cool.

Here is the appropriate response.

"Sir, this is a costume, and furthermore it is none of your business. Thank you for your concern." The trick is to react neutrally and politely.

His right to his beliefs stops when he begins harrassing you.

Sheesh, it was a LULU costume -- at worst you're showing a bit of cleavage!

OOO! My best moment was... 2007? GaiaOnline had come and they were doing a game thing. I raised my hand to play, not realizing it was a Trivia Game >> and being a member for like a month on Gaia, I pretty much thought I was screwed. The questions, however, were multiple choice, and I got the first 5 multiple choice questions right XD And then they decided to do a fill in the blank one without choices >> and I obviously lost those... but it was still cool, haha

I think it was Katsucon 07.

I'm female and I have that time of the month thing.

It was a total surprise and I was walking around with bad cramps.

Someone gave me Motrin but it wasn't a big help. D:

My best experiences were at Otakon 08.

I was in the second row for JAM Project and had a blast singing. I was so close. ^^

I got to ask Kappei Yamaguchi a question at his panel, get his autograph on the back of my L plushie, and I took a picture with him. He's so nice and he loved the L plushie. >w<

I'm not sure if I'm lucky at avoiding bad con experiences or just good at shrugging them off without realizing it, but I don't really have much in the way of bad con stories. Heck, I even endured the line at Katsucon 2009 without (much) complaint! So, this story isn't really a best or worst, in fact it's kind of pointless. For some reason, though, it's a personal favorite of mine, so now you have to sit through it:

At Animazement 2008, I won a chocolate cake at the Webcomics panel. Since I was going to help out with the MST3k panel that night, I figured I'd share the cake with everyone there, which meant stashing it in my room for the hours between. As you can imagine, though, I hadn't taken more than three steps down the hall before people started shouting "THE CAKE IS A LIE!" jokes. Now, I have a low tolerance for hearing overused jokes like that even once, but I must have heard it at LEAST 30 times during the 7 or 8 minutes it took to get up to my room. Knowing I'd have to take the cake back down again in a few hours but not wanting to endure ANOTHER slew of "Is it a lie?" gags, I grabbed some card stock and Sharpies (what, you DON'T carry that stuff with you everywhere?) and made a little sign that said "The Cake Is TRUTH!" to put on top of the cake box.

So, when the time came, I grabbed the totally-NOT-a-lie cake and hopped in the elevator. Turns out Keiko Han and Kotono Mitsuishi were on their way down in the same elevator, which would have been kind of neat on its own, but then something odd happened. As soon as the doors closed, I realized that my more illustrious fellow passengers were muttering to each other and looking very confused... and that they both seemed to be staring at me. It soon became clear: they couldn't for the life of them figure out what the heck "The Cake Is TRUTH!" was supposed to mean. Suddenly, I'm in a rather awkward position. There's no way I'd be able to explain the whole story of Portal, the significance of "the cake is a lie," and how overused the joke had become all over the course of a 5 floor elevator ride (plus, I've never even PLAYED the game myself). Even if I could, SHOULD I unload that much unsolicited nerd info on two unsuspecting ladies who are simply wondering if their English isn't as good as they though? Heck, would I even be ABLE to explain? I don't know how good their conversational English is, and I DO know my Japanese is non-existent. In the end, I just said "It's a joke about another joke." That seemed to simultaneously assure them that the sign really did say what they though it said AND warn them not to pursue the topic any further. Right after that, we reached the lobby, and the anecdote was over.

Like I said, more pointless than best or worst, but it's stuck in your head now! You can't unread it!

I've been very fortunate to have positive con experiences -- but I will NEVER forget the trip to Boston for Anime Boston '04. Hopefully that counts?

Someone I'd only known via cel collecting on the internet was driving up from South Carolina and picking myself and my then boyfriend up in Maryland. Great! Only it was in a pickup truck with something that barely qualified as a 'back seat'. In the end I had to be squished into that small space for nearly ten hours due to traffic -- both ways. We did get out to stretch a couple times, but it was still not a very pleasant experience. On top of this, the driver liked to drive fast. I mean really fast. I am not exaggerating when I say the truck nearly tipped over doing a sharp curve in Connecticut. There were several other points in which I was scared out of my wits due to her driving. ;)

I also learned that Rhode Island's small size is merely a way to lure you into a false sense of security. That state goes on forever.

Oh, yes, and I was somewhat weirded out when we went through a tunnel in New York City and there was an unopened bag of cheese curls and an unopened 2 liter of soda just... sitting against the wall. As if waiting for someone. You know how you'll see something that unnerves you but you just can't put your finger on exactly WHY? Yeah. It was one of those moments. I still wonder to this day what the story was with the abandoned snacks.

Oh, yes, and I was somewhat weirded out when we went through a tunnel in New York City and there was an unopened bag of cheese curls and an unopened 2 liter of soda just... sitting against the wall. As if waiting for someone. You know how you'll see something that unnerves you but you just can't put your finger on exactly WHY? Yeah. It was one of those moments. I still wonder to this day what the story was with the abandoned snacks.

I only had one bad con experience, when I got food poisioning at the 2004 Otakon. I'd gotten hungry, so I went to the BK for a whopper, forgetting to tell them to hold the mayonaisse. Sure enough, about two hours later I got sicker than a dog. I went over next to Harbourplace & puked my guts out, with one killer headache. A tourist seeing my dilemma, got me a couple of plastic bags & two bottles of water. She also called me a cab so I went back home & took a long nap. I felt better that evening & went back to the con on Saturday.

I only had one bad con experience, when I got food poisioning at the 2004 Otakon. I'd gotten hungry, so I went to the BK for a whopper, forgetting to tell them to hold the mayonaisse. Sure enough, about two hours later I got sicker than a dog. I went over next to Harbourplace & puked my guts out, with one killer headache. A tourist seeing my dilemma, got me a couple of plastic bags & two bottles of water. She also called me a cab so I went back home & took a long nap. I felt better that evening & went back to the con on Saturday.

It was Saturday night at Power Morphicon 2007, a Power Rangers con in LA. I'm chilling with some fans and guests when one whispers to another, "Hey, shouldn't we be headed up to the party?" Then the other one, she turns to us, smiles and randomly says, "You guys can come too!" What happened after that, I can't talk about except to say it was a really weird night.

At Otakon 2008, some friends and I went to see Tropic Thunder Thursday night. We all had our phones off in the theater, naturally. Meanwhile, another friend had landed at BWI and was there, sitting in front of our door, playing a PSP like a lost nerdy puppy.

I'm sure I'll think of some more winners later.

Oh yeah I remembered one:

Otakon 2008: I didn't know until the last minute I was going so I didn't prereg. I got there at about noon and stood in line until 345. I had my Gunslinger Girl volume 1 disk I wanted to get autographed by Laura Bailey. I had my map from 2007 and compared it to the locations posted for 2008 so I knew exactly where to go after registering ahead of time. The autograph session went from 3-4. I got there in time to stand in line and get cut off from the session. After another 30 minutes or so Laura Bailey came out and autographed our stuff. She said that GSG was sad, I mentioned that Season 2 was out and asked if she might be doing some voice work and got one of those innocent looking away "Maybe"'s

So I got my Season 1 starter box set complete, all of the covers are autographed by the voice actors who did the voices of the characters on the covers.

Which reminds me:

Otakon 2006: I was in the dealer's room looking around, I'd already bought my stuff and taken it to the hotel, and in the industry section I saw where ADV was going to have Monica Rial signing auto graphs. I checked the time and didn't have a watch with me so I went to ask someoen at the ADV booth when Monica Rial was going to be there. there was no one around so when I was walking around I saw a dark haired woman sitting behind a table with no one there and a marker board sign to her right that had an arrow pointing toward her and said "Monica Rial". So I asked the ADV rep, who just appeared out of no where, how much longer she was going to be there, they said 45 minutes. I practically sprinted to my hotel room 2 blocks away, got my Gunslinger Girl Volume 3 disk and sprinted back. She said that she was waiting for someone to bring some GSG stuff and signed it "yay for little girls with big guns."

Funny story - Back at Otakon 2005 or 2006, my friend was cross-playing and some dude was hitting on him. My friend didn't want to tell the guy that he was a guy. Also, through the dealers room my friend did get several double takes and a few "nice ass" comments from guys.

Worst - Katsucon 2009, I was helping a friend with his panel. Mainly he needed my laptop, since it was only for Saturday, we drove down from Baltimore. After the panel, I went to check out the dealers room, entered walked around, checked out a few booths. Before hitting the road, I went over to the game room where they would not let me in cause of my laptop bag. I explained I was a panelist earlier, don't have a room to leave my laptop in and didn't feel like going to my car to drop it off (and possibly stolen). So I got into a heated argument over the rules of the game room. Eventually I was asked to leave the convention for causing a scene. I'm sorry but I don't want to leave my expensive laptop with anyone. Apparently Katsucon is more worried about the theft of video game controllers over anything in the dealers since I was allowed to have my laptop bag in there with no problem.

Oh hey, I thought of another of my worst con stories...and this one has a bit of a moral to it as well.

A few years back at Anime Usa I was rooming with a friend of mine who's always got a table in Artist Alley. The people at the table next to her she found out were sleeping in their car so she asked me if it was ok with me for them to room with us. It was just the two of us so we had plenty of room and I certainly didn't mind sharing the cost of the room. Well, as things went on these two people became sketchier and sketchier eventually finding out that they'd just recently served jail time for drugs and were unemployed and homeless, just traveling the country because they'd found out about these conventions and her husband was a pretty good artist. In the end they stole a bunch of stuff from us including my friend's sewing patterns. Come next convention they were selling something identical to my friend's claiming she ripped it off from them. It almost came to a physical fight between them.

So the moral is, though over the years I've had several people crash with me and such, so out of all those times it was just once that I ran across a bad one, remember strangers are still strangers, so you should exercise some caution.

OH and also at this year's Katsucon I got stuck in an elevator that broke down for almost half an hour.

I'm sorry but I don't want to leave my expensive laptop with anyone. Apparently Katsucon is more worried about the theft of video game controllers over anything in the dealers since I was allowed to have my laptop bag in there with no problem.

Umm... My experience is not horrible, but somewhat embarrassing. Last year I went to the restroom in Artist Alley, went to a stall and did my business. I noticed the urinals were covered with black bags, but I didn't really think that much of it; stuff always seems to be breaking at BCC. When I stepped out of the stall, I suddenly noticed that the fellow people in the restroom were not of my gender. I either misread a sign, or the bathroom was shifted to the other gender, but I left as quickly and nonchalantly as possible without alerting anyone to my mistake.

Thankfully, I usually walk with my eyes to the ground so I didn't make eye contact with anyone or see anything untoward. If anyone saw me, I apologize wholeheartedly.

My best memory was listening to Eminence's encore. The entire concert up to that point was beautiful music but to anime or games that I had never watched or played. They come out for the encore and struck up a Mario Medley. I was seriously geeking out and laughed out loud when the piano was doing the 1-up sounds.