Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CraigerRay

Bandai and other Industries...

I was just curious, I was taking a peek at the Dealers Room map, and I saw that there was no Bandai booth, are they not coming this year? What about other Industry booths?

I was just curious, I was taking a peek at the Dealers Room map, and I saw that there was no Bandai booth, are they not coming this year? What about other Industry booths?

Blame the economy, mostly. And more specifically, the anime industry had a pretty rough year. Even companies that were doing okay took a hit, because their parent companies may not have been as strong.

Many of our industry friends find themselves unable to do the convention scene this year -- they've slashed their marketing budgets to hold onto critical personnel in this economy. Others are simply unable to do as many cons, and we find ourselves uncomfortably close time-wise to San Diego Comic-Con and Anime Expo -- so there are logistical challenges when most of these companies have cut staff.

Bandai, despite having a fantastic year at Otakon last time, simply got ordered to cut the budget and had to comply.

That said, the room itself should be pretty full this year -- the lack of bigger industry blocks gave us room to squeeze in more dealers -- and possibly additional event space. And even companies that won't be there in full force this year are working with us, so don't worry about the con suffering too much!

I wander if we are going to see ADV closing their doors soon. Last year they didnt have a booth and this year they have been loosing ALOT of animes to Funamation. Evan lost the new Evangelion series to them.

I know Bandai is in hardtimes. A lot of their series collections have been postponed. Havent had any big licenses lately. Even with big series like Hayate, their just doing sub only because of cost! Also series like Lucky Star hasnt sold as many titles as expected.to

They also have this issue with DVDs having errors or not playing properly which is costing them money to replace all the fault disks.!

I know Bandai has been select with titles they are licensing but they were always my favorite company when I first got into anime Cowboy Bebop, Hack, Escaflowne, Gundam, Witch Hunter Robin, and Wolf's Rain so hopefully they hold strong through the badtimes and continue to be a player!