Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BioProject

One Month Till Otakon 2009 O_O

On a complete and total whim, I went out and bought stuff for a cosplay last night. Thank goodness its super duper easy. lol

On a complete and total whim, I went out and bought stuff for a cosplay last night. Thank goodness its super duper easy. lol

You'll have to wait until closer to the con.

Or the con itself.

You'll have to wait until closer to the con.

Or the con itself.

I'll give you some clues:

It's not a fancy costume. I bought everything I needed at Wal Mart Tuesday night.

But its a very well known video game character. It's a comfortable outfit, too.

It's not a fancy costume. I bought everything I needed at Wal Mart Tuesday night.

Guess while we're on this topic...might as well ask this question:

Will cosplaying as a Left 4 Dead character be considered not a good idea since they're not anime characters?

Will cosplaying as a Left 4 Dead character be considered not a good idea since they're not anime characters?

Yeah...I'm personally cool with video game and anime cosplays...in my opinion, video games are close enough to Japanese culture to be able to be in the anime convention...but I'm a little iffy when people start coming as movie characters and stuff...like, the rush of Jokers last year kinda frustrated me cause he's not even close to anime. x__x It's not a big Halloween party...*flail*

Okay. So I didn't complain when Captain Jack Sparrow was there. I maybe squeed a little bit in happiness. But that's the ONE movie I allow...xD ...okay, maybe I'm not that picky, but still.

In the Joker's defense, there is a plethora of Batman manga out there. Kia Asamiya is a big Bat fan, and has made a few Batman manga in the past.

I don't think it matters what they dress up as as long as they dress up XD Someone dressed as Nurse Joker from the movie, and that was a pretty sweet costume. And if a guy's willing to walk around in a female nurse get up, then by all means! haha

n10507995337504556202.th.jpg

Interesting. I tend to be WAY on the forgiving side of this costume debate but I have to say it is a convention centered around Anime & Asian culture.

That said I - even with my comic book background - have issues with some of the non-asian costumes that have become the norm at Otakon...but in a way it's a good thing. Follow.

Back when I started going to Otakon Anime was fringe at BEST. Interest was hardcore, we watched fan subs and we traded tapes like crazy (I still remember a buddy being *stoked* at trading Saber Marionettes J for Escaflowne). We were struggling for acceptance and supported (many of us grudgingly) dubbed versions of Anime such as Sailor Moon in the hopes that if it took off we'd get some good stuff.

Now Anime is *somewhat* mainstream in the US and we actually complain about how much Pokemon/Naruto/insert fad from Fox/Cartoon Network here we have to wade through...but that was really the goal. Part of that is the cross blend between cultures such as video games...which lead to/from comics...and the next thing you know we've gone from Boo-ing a couple cosplaying Hercules off the stage to swimming in an ocean of Heath Ledger knock-offs.

Wear your L4D outfit and if there's some ribbing (which I doubt) don't sweat it.

Those who have joined this community in the last 5 years: Don't be so uptight...but don't confuse video games w/ anime/manga. Spider-Man is not Japanese or anime...no matter who does the artwork or if Spidey does have a 'Fireball' move in Marvel V. Capcom.

Those who have been in for 10 years or more (like me) don't roll your eyes at the Cartoon Network/Fox anime du jour or sneer. Fellow old schoolers...

This is what we worked so long and hard for. Enjoy it.

Granted that's just an opinion...

You know that Otakon is coming when they raise the prices such that no one can pre-register anymore: ^_^

http://i40.tinypic.com/262sio4.png

(Not kidding. That was the page I saw when browsing to https://www.otakon.com/reg/ on a whim, but they may change it some time later; TinyPic ftw)

I have no issue with non-anime cosplay. At Otakon '07 there was someone dressed from Labyrinth. One of those orange muppets who throw around their heads. Not anime, but pretty awesome all the same.

Interesting. I tend to be WAY on the forgiving side of this costume debate but I have to say it is a convention centered around Anime & Asian culture.

That said I - even with my comic book background - have issues with some of the non-asian costumes that have become the norm at Otakon...but in a way it's a good thing. Follow.

Back when I started going to Otakon Anime was fringe at BEST. Interest was hardcore, we watched fan subs and we traded tapes like crazy (I still remember a buddy being *stoked* at trading Saber Marionettes J for Escaflowne). We were struggling for acceptance and supported (many of us grudgingly) dubbed versions of Anime such as Sailor Moon in the hopes that if it took off we'd get some good stuff.

Now Anime is *somewhat* mainstream in the US and we actually complain about how much Pokemon/Naruto/insert fad from Fox/Cartoon Network here we have to wade through...but that was really the goal. Part of that is the cross blend between cultures such as video games...which lead to/from comics...and the next thing you know we've gone from Boo-ing a couple cosplaying Hercules off the stage to swimming in an ocean of Heath Ledger knock-offs.

Wear your L4D outfit and if there's some ribbing (which I doubt) don't sweat it.

Those who have joined this community in the last 5 years: Don't be so uptight...but don't confuse video games w/ anime/manga. Spider-Man is not Japanese or anime...no matter who does the artwork or if Spidey does have a 'Fireball' move in Marvel V. Capcom.

Those who have been in for 10 years or more (like me) don't roll your eyes at the Cartoon Network/Fox anime du jour or sneer. Fellow old schoolers...

This is what we worked so long and hard for. Enjoy it.

Granted that's just an opinion...

Yes! Whoo! I finally win something! *claps*

I was just sitting here thinking of any old video game characters that Wal-Mart would have the right stuff for...I knew it couldn't be Pac-Man or Donkey Kong...xD

I was just sitting here thinking of any old video game characters that Wal-Mart would have the right stuff for...I knew it couldn't be Pac-Man or Donkey Kong...xD

I was going to say "He was once know as Jumpman in Donkey Kong" but I didn't wanna make it too obvious!

I've seen a few girl Mario's in past cons before! It can be done!

I'm cosplaying as Mario myself, and my friend is cosplaying as Luigi.

14 days for me...sighhhhh...I honestly don't know how I'm gonna manage. xD Cause I gotta go to bed on that Friday at about 7:30 PM so I'm able to get up at about 2 AM to drive out to Baltimore...but lately I haven't been able to sleep until about 5 AM...I actually went to bed at about 2:30 AM yesterday to try to go to sleep earlier to try to readjust my schedule so maybe I might catch up by then, but...I just laid there in bed until 5 AM then I finally fell asleep. x__x

14 days for me...sighhhhh...I honestly don't know how I'm gonna manage. xD Cause I gotta go to bed on that Friday at about 7:30 PM so I'm able to get up at about 2 AM to drive out to Baltimore...but lately I haven't been able to sleep until about 5 AM...I actually went to bed at about 2:30 AM yesterday to try to go to sleep earlier to try to readjust my schedule so maybe I might catch up by then, but...I just laid there in bed until 5 AM then I finally fell asleep. x__x

LOL I know how you feel...

Me, personally? I'm already feeling amped up about my upcoming major tennis social in Silver Spring, MD...gonna forehand slam a lot of heads in a week:) And then after that? Otakon. So plenty of things to be excited about.

Too bad I can't cosplay as William Wong the tennis player...that would be too easy...lol.

Ugh, me and my friend got into a nasty car accident today. Luckily we're not too bad off (though her car's another story) and she'll have the stitches out JUST before the con starts! :( Always look on the bright side, right?

Tennis! I love tennis. I'm just not brave enough to play it.

Sucks for you, HanaKirei. @_@ Just be glad you're okay though! And are still able to go to Otakon...the most car-related thing that happened to me today that I think kids were throwing those snapping fireworks things off of the overpass onto the cars below...one of them hit our windshield and popped really loud and we were like, "OMGWTFAAAH."

12 Days and Counting until Otakon 2009!

12 days of of editing video and preparing notes for panels. As well as getting outfits ready, helping other people with their panels and working to make more money for this. It will be so hetic this 12 days will be 1 before I know it!

But this is Otakon. All pain is worth it!

Me, personally? I'm already feeling amped up about my upcoming major tennis social in Silver Spring, MD...gonna forehand slam a lot of heads in a week:) And then after that? Otakon. So plenty of things to be excited about.

Too bad I can't cosplay as William Wong the tennis player...that would be too easy...lol.

Happy 4th of July, guys! =D Man, I'm just so American today...my red Bleach shirt with Ichigo on the front and my Japanese dogtag from Epcot...in my defense, the shirt is RED...and...Ichigo has a white thing on and...I'm wearing only my red and blue hair extensions!

Tennis eh? My boyfriend's dad runs a tennis magazine. Sometimes him and I drive all over MD delivering papers! (Its called Matchpoint I do believe).

Tennis eh? My boyfriend's dad runs a tennis magazine. Sometimes him and I drive all over MD delivering papers! (Its called Matchpoint I do believe).

Serious question: how much for a copy? And what does he report exactly in the tennis world?

11 days to go until Otakon 2009.

Serious question: how much for a copy? And what does he report exactly in the tennis world?

12 days...I'm at a loss of what to do over the next 12 days. I have everything done and covered and I don't have to scramble to do anything...it's great but boring all at the same time. @_@ Probably just stay home all this week...appreciate the fact that I'm not dying of heat stroke and my feet are happy...cause it won't last...the only things I have planned between now and then is a trip to some sort of civil war museum in Frederick, MD, which isn't exactly a big trip because it only takes, like, an hour to get there...and then Harry Potter comes out next week...

It's 11 more days (well, including today) until I leave for Baltimore and I'm so excited omg. I found out that I have an extra $20 in my saved money. A good sign? I think so!