Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inuashley

Con Center - Will they let me in with prop food?

I know there's already a couple of other threads about food, but I didn't want to hijack them with my question. ^^; I'll be cosplaying as a character for whom I usually carry around pastries and other sweets on a tray as a prop. I won't be handing out or eating them(they'd be expired anyways), so would the convention center let me in with them? I would hate to have to go back to my hotel to drop them off again. Any light shed on this situation would be very much appreciated! Thanks. ^^

This is an unofficial answer since I don't have anything to do with this at con, it's just my personal opinion based on previous policy and things that we've done.

The BCC is pretty strict about their exclusive contract with Aramark, so I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't allowed to have the food.

This is an unofficial answer since I don't have anything to do with this at con, it's just my personal opinion based on previous policy and things that we've done.

The BCC is pretty strict about their exclusive contract with Aramark, so I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't allowed to have the food.

There really isn't anyone who can give the official answer about what the BCC or Aramark will react to.

However, I saw several L cosplayers last year and at least two were surrounded by sweets. In the past I've seen Vash with a bag of donuts. To my knowledge none of them proved a problem for the facilities -- and if they do say something, just do what you're asked.

this is only applied if you actually sell the food right?

I also have food part of my cosplay.. jello. (yeah don't ask only way I could think of making souls from)

I imagine if you covered them in glue, which dries clear, they'd no longer be edible thus wouldn't count as food anymore, plus they'd have that glazed look.

Maybe glue them to a pan and carry the pan with them stuck to it as a prop.

I imagine if you covered them in glue, which dries clear, they'd no longer be edible thus wouldn't count as food anymore, plus they'd have that glazed look.

Maybe glue them to a pan and carry the pan with them stuck to it as a prop.

yea, the word that I heard is that there is to be no 'SELLING' of food product at Otakon due to a catering deal the BCC has currently in place. That's why you never get to see things like Pockey, other Japanese snack foods and Japanese style drinks in the dealers room, but the BBC to my knowledge can not stop you from bringing your own food in to eat like say from McDonald's or when it was there Burger King.

yea, the word that I heard is that there is to be no 'SELLING' of food product at Otakon due to a catering deal the BCC has currently in place. That's why you never get to see things like Pockey, other Japanese snack foods and Japanese style drinks in the dealers room, but the BBC to my knowledge can not stop you from bringing your own food in to eat like say from McDonald's or when it was there Burger King.

Just to clarify: The BCC most certainly CAN stop you from bringing in outside food and drink, because technically it is not allowed. They just aren't that interested in stopping everyone's lunches and snacks, provided people are reasonable about it. They catch you lugging a cooler around, it's a very different matter.

I also have food part of my cosplay.. jello. (yeah don't ask only way I could think of making souls from)

I definitely will not be selling any food, so I think I might be ok, I'll only have them for a little while anyways. Thank you all for your informative replies! ^^

As Alabaster has said, Otakon staff can't speak for the BCC or Aramark on what is allowed and what is not, and they are in their rights to stop you if they so choose. My recommendation would be to just be discreet about it. Whether you are selling or just using food as a prop, be discreet when you walk in. If your prop is a tray of goodies, wait until you're inside to yank the pastries out and put them on the tray. If you come in with a tray of goodies in hand, chances are good that they will stop you and ask about it, possibly ask you to leave it in your hotel.