Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jkid

One Day Stands

One day stands is when you just attend the convention for just one day and enjoy it as much as you can. My first Otakon (in 2007) was a one day stand because I was not able to get a affordable hotel at the time. (I'll explain later in this thread)

Anyone planning to do a one day stand this year?

(Note: One day stands are completely unrelated to one-night stands.)

My first Otakon in 2004 was this. I showed up Sunday, fresh from Boy Scout summer came, and wondered what the heck I missed.

I do conventions as one day conventions occasionally. I will probably do Katsucon as a one day con next year due to a variety of factors.

I did that a few times, but the first time I did was my first ever con back in '98 and I said to myself 'I gotta come back tomorrow for more of this con'

I think it was Katsucon 2001 or 2002 that I only got to spend a day and a half at. A blizzard came through and it was either skip town early, or risk being stranded when the airport shut down. I chose option A.

That's one of the reasons I like Otakon more. There's little to no chance of snow in July/August ;)

Me! I do it every Otakon. Because of my dad's work, we're not able to go more than one day, Saturday. Sigh. At least Saturday is the day of the Masquerade. That's the best part of going.

Katsucon 2009. Saturday. Valentine's Day. Oi, the stress.

I may go all three days for Katsu next year, but I dunno. I couldn't dream of just doing one day for Otakon ;)

I did it a lot for Katsucon, did it once for Anime USA.

My first Otakon was a one-day visit. These days it takes me a solid week -- I show up early because I have guests coming in and have to prepare...

My first Ota was a one-day con. Mom and I stopped by on Friday and hung out until 6pm or so. It was awesome :)

My first con ever, Katsucon 5 (1999), was a 2-day stand (Sat.-Sun.).

My first Otakon (1999, 2nd ever con), was a 1-day stand (Fri.).

Since then, every con has been the full 3-days, and since Otakon 2001, Thursday, too. Than includes my 2 visits to NYAF, too...

For me, Otakon has always been a three-day event, as a usually get a hotel room to stay for the weekend (although from Otakon 2003-2005, I would go up on Thursday to pick up my badge, return home for the night, then check into the hotel on Friday afternoon after I toured the Dealers' Room).

As for one day stands, I did this at my first two Anime USA conventions (2001 and 2002) and at my first Katsucon (2002). However, with Katsucon 2002 (and me wanting to enjoy the convention without worrying about beating the blizzard that was approaching at the time), I now attend those two cons on both Friday and Saturday.

My first Ota was a one-day con. Mom and I stopped by on Friday and hung out until 6pm or so. It was awesome :)

I honestly don't know how people do one-day con visits. I mean, I totally understand all the reasons WHY one would need to, but still... I can show up the day before, go the whole weekend at fuul throttle, and STILL feel like I didn't get to do half of what I wanted! If I ever seriously tired to get by with just one day at a con, I'm pretty sure my head would explode.

Actually, for me, Otakon's the only con I've stayed all three days! I did Naka-kon (a tiny con in Kansas City) for a Saturday because I was in school at the time and just wasn't pleased enough to come back the next day. I happened to be in town visiting friends during A-Kon a few years back, and I just didn't like the layout. I've been spoiled by Otakon, it seems xD

Last year I hit UBcon just for the 100-person NERF war inside their student union building. Oh how lulz ensued...

My first Otakon was also kind of a one day/day and a half thing; dropped in Saturday night and left at the end of the con Sunday.

My only one-day stand was Arisia 2009, a multi-genre convention. It was fun, but I was still in school and had other things to do.

Did that for Anime USA a few years ago...it was okay but I definitely prefer to make it a full weekend.

I usually go to Ohayocon for Saturday only, it's only a 3 hour drive and only has 6000ish people. In 2010 however I have a room for Saturday night since it's getting bigger. I made the mistake of going to Katsukon once, not that it's bad but Otakon 04 was my first convention...so I was expecting every convention to be like Otakon. So I got a room for the weekend at Katsukon and fond out it was like 1/5 of the size of Otakon...I did everything there was to do in one day.

I did however get pictures of people dressed as the FF6 cast with the 16 bit characters painted on 4 sided boxes pixel by pixel. That made the whole 8 hour trip worth while.

I have been doing one-day otakon for the past 2 years and this is actually my first year when I am attending all 3 days (w00t!). I think you really have to plan well for that one-day con to make it worthwhile. last year I mark down workshops that i want to go, and actually enjoy it much more than the one in 2007. In addition, I actually remember to bring my camera last year, so I really had loads of fun asking cosplayers for pictures :)

In 2008 and 09, I went just on Friday at Tekkoshocon in Pittsburgh as I work on weekends and felt that taking 2 weekends off a year was too much. It felt weird as I felt rushed to do a lot of random things to take it all in. I had a great time, but I have kept on saying to myself that I will stay the whole time the next year at Tekkoshocon. Maybe I'll do it next year.

I believe the last Big Apple Anime Festival. I still managed to attend... well, eventually volunteer, on the last day.

(I was busy visiti volunteering at AXNY across the street the other days... Yes, I have a problem.)

Last year I only went Friday, but I didn't plan that...I just got really sick, and decided to go home. I managed to get to the dealer's room, though, and that's usually my biggest thing. And I got to go to the concert~

One day stand (actually 3 hours that was all) at the New York Anime Festival. I was in NYC with my mother for the weekend to see a show and I dragged her to the convention for three hours, lol. It's so fun going with someone who doesn't watch anime - she enjoyed herself immensely. Katsucon is typically a one day stand for me since I don't like the metro (now for good reason :D ) I usually do all three days of Otakon because I'm in AA, lol. The only way I wouldn't is if I sold out - but then I would probably stay to do stuff at the convention anyway.

I did Anime Next for one day with a friend. the drive was like 3 and a half hours I think I was a week recovering from that one day that was the longest straight road I've ever been on XD

I'd never do Otakon as one day

I really wish I could go to Otakon for more than one day...T____T But I can'ttttt...but I usually get tired out after one day, though...and I probably don't mind the one day because I've never actually experienced a full weekend so I can't possibly miss something I've never experienced...Maybe I can convince dad to let me pop into Otakon Sunday morning for a bit...but we're going to the movie theater that day...and dad needs to be home on Sunday by 8 PM...

Both Otakons I've attended have been only on Sundays, and I'm so excited to be going for a full weekend this year!

In addition, I ventured to Tekkoshocon in April (as it is a mere bus ride away from my school), but that was only for Saturday. I did get to meet Eyeshine, though. :D Positively amazing band, I highly recommend them!

Yes, I'm quite pumped for this con. ;)

I think I might stay only one day at Otakon this year to save some money. If I do stay overnight it will only be Friday into Saturday. So no matter what this will unfortunately be my shortest Otakon. Money is just tight for me right now.

Back in 2006 I went to otakon on a saturday. Even if it was a few hours, the very idea of going got me hooked to otakon FOREVER!!! Ever since that day, I've always gone to otakon all three days. This is going to be my third year but two for going all three days. <3 I can't wait. <33333

Back in 2007, I went to Fan Expo on the Friday. As it was in Toronto, I was staying at my parents' place. And it just so happens they were away for a week or two.

Well, I was planning to go on Saturday, but their hot water heater suddenly burst it's top pipe and hot water was flooding the area. I had to close off the gas line and then wait until Sunday for someone to come replace it.

my first one otakon was a one day stand :)

at the time my sister brought home the "smile" CD by l'arc~en~ciel from thailand, and i was addicted. then we heard about otakon from a friend, so we checked it out on the interwebs and found out they were going to perform! so we convinced my parents to let us go downtown by ourselves for the first time (i was 14, my sister was 13 at the time) and it was absolutely amazing. i will always remember that one guy who gave me an incredible hug :D

My first Otakon was a one day stand actually. I'd wanted to go for years, but wasn't able. So in 2004, when L'Arc~en~Ciel was announced as a musical guest, my father and I decided to go. I was only able to walk around the BCC until it was time to line up for the concert, but to me- it was a really fantastic day :). Since then, I've made it to Otakon for all three days.

Katsucon 2009 because I couldn't go on Friday because of school and I got sick on Sunday. Fun. :/

The first time I attended Otakon was in 2001, and it was for one day (Saturday). I had been to other cons before (not anime cons, though - I went to the X-Files Expo and the MST3K Expo-fest-a-rama 2) but they were completely dissimilar to anime cons, as I would find out. I did not know what pre-registration was at that point.

When I got inside the BCC, I noticed a HUGE crowd of people waiting to get into a room. I was standing opposite the crowd, and I had no idea who they were all waiting for. Otakon staff, seeing that the room would be insufficient to hold the crowd, made a room switch on the fly, and I ended up being front row in the new room. Who was in that room? Hikura Midorikawa. I understand why Otakon now has rules for what kinds of questions to ask guests. The bad part? My camera batteries were dead, so even though he was right in front of me, I have no pictures. That taught me to be prepared when I went to cons.

Went to the dealers room, played some video games, and got an autograph from Kazuya Tsurumaki. Saw 2000 AD, which I liked so much I ordered it once I got home. Also watched A Man Called Hero. This lead to me always checking out the live action rooms on schedules before going to cons. I spend a lot of time in Live Action. After the movie, I peeked in the artist alley, then headed out.

If I knew then what I know now, I should have never left the Live Action room, because they showed Attack the Gas Station and Battle Royale that evening. At this point, I knew about anime and liked it enough to go to a convention, but I didn

I only did so once at AnimeNext in... I think it was 05 or 06. The only reason I got to go was because fathers got in for free on father's day, hah. I just got what I wanted and left basically.

But going to otakon for ONE day? Impossible.

Okay, my friends and I are going to one day stand Otakon. What's a good arrival time to arrive by if we don't want to die in the lines. (My chief concern is making it there for either Mary Elizabeth McGlynn's panel or the big VA panel)

Suggestions please?

I went to Otakon last year for one day. It was my 1st con and I really wanted to go but my dad would only spend $25. I still had the best time ever {and got the L plushie I was looking all over for} but I was still dissapointed about all the stuff I missed {especially Kappei Yamaguchi}. After that tho my dad said he would let me go for all 3 days next year and so I am really excited about my 1st full con. The year actually flew by. I'm gonna make up for missing Yamaguchi by meeting HYDE!

I've done a Katsu 1-day, and I've day-tripped Otakon, but I've never only gone to Otakon for one day. My first con was Otakon back in '97 and I rode my motorcycle from the store in Rockville to and fro Otakon.

Katsu I was able to do a single day a few times, but there's always stuff that you miss.

Dunno if this is the right place to be asking this, but my boyfriend isn't THAT much into anime to go for all three days, but I'd like him to join me on Saturday for fun (and for couple cosplay purposes XD) He doesn't have to pay for the full weekend, right? I seem to remember last year they had info up about daily rates, but I can't seem to find it this year... maybe I'm just blind? XD

One day'd Anime North. The other day we went into Toronto. :D

My only one day stand was at the Baltimore Comic Con . It really only needed to take one day since the whole thing was in the GAME ROOM of otakon.

My friend and I were laughing because of how there is usually an ocean of cosplayers at otakon, and at the comic con there was A Batman and A Spiderman..

The first Otakon I ever attended ( the 2nd one of it's existence ), I was only able to go 1 day. ( Saturday ) So my first take of a con like this was on the perfect day because I got to see the Masquerade. I've gone to every Otakon since then. ( all 3 days every time ). I've been to Katsucon twice. 1 day each time. I have to say, Otakon is the only one I really like attending.

My only one day stand was at the Baltimore Comic Con . It really only needed to take one day since the whole thing was in the GAME ROOM of otakon.

My friend and I were laughing because of how there is usually an ocean of cosplayers at otakon, and at the comic con there was A Batman and A Spiderman..

My first Otakon was a one-day visit. These days it takes me a solid week -- I show up early because I have guests coming in and have to prepare...

The first Otakon I ever attended ( the 2nd one of it's existence ), I was only able to go 1 day. ( Saturday ) So my first take of a con like this was on the perfect day because I got to see the Masquerade. I've gone to every Otakon since then. ( all 3 days every time ). I've been to Katsucon twice. 1 day each time. I have to say, Otakon is the only one I really like attending.

You must seriously love your job...:)

How does one work for t he Otakon organization anyways?

Hard, and until either your head explodes from the stress, or you die. There is no returning to pre-staff life, heh. :D

The serious answer, though, is to try gofering first. You'll see more of what it's like to work the con, and if you do a good job and show us that you're serious about working hard to put on a great con, you might be asked to join the staff.