Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toujourspret

Pop Culture is Imploding

my mouth literally fell wide open when I came home from work, turned on the TV, and saw the "Breaking News" flash across the screen.

I am dumbfounded right now...........

Godspeed them both. I was saddened by her death, but shocked by his. How bizarre, and such a loss of talent.

a shame indeed...

what will not be a shame is the dozen or so MJ cosplayers that are going to pop up now in tribute of him....don't do it people, don't embarrass his memory

This is a terrible day, er, week for Hollywood...and my condolences go out to those families. The similarites I will not go through in this thread, but you get the idea.

I, too, was horrified.

I am a huge fan of Mister Michael Jackson--I have studied his movements (I'm a dancer) and had the pleasure to perform to his music. I attempted his fluidity and natural movement--but it's impossible. It's Michael Jackson, for goodness sake.

I am an actress, and I have always admired him as a performer and entertainer. It saddens me that in the last years of his life he was so plagued by the distress of being famous and poor decisions. He was not a freak, he was a man lost.

I am incredibly sad I will never witness the pleasure of seeing him perform in person. Recently there has been news of a show featuring him in Vegas, and I litterally had discussed plans to go when it opens with my mother.

The world is a little darker without him. He really was a man that could entertain without even trying, and when he did try he blew your mind. He had such energy and charisma, and so much talent.

Mister Jackson you will be missed, and you were truly one of the greatest performers to live.

I feel the most sorry for his kids.

But ya, when my cousin first called me to tell me I thought she was kidding (I was just getting off of work so I hadn't seen or heard any news).

I played through Moonwalker on Genesis just a little bit ago in tribute.

First Farah Fawcett... now Michael Jackson... I have no words...

R.I.P. to a great entertainer in all aspects.there will never be another one that can touch ppl like that...def an inspiration to many b-boys n funk stylists *including me*.

growing up listening to backstreet boys and nsync i always remembered hearing them talk about MJ as their influence. i can see why, he's absolutely amazing. i hope everyone, especially the media, will respect the family's wishes and give them their privacy. rest in peace michael, thank you for bringing billions of smiles.

I found out at work and dropped the books I was holding.

What saddens me more if the amount of backlash people have been posting on facebook and twtter over MJ's dead. No one respects the dead anymore, which is a shame. However the people saying all the hateful things really had no grasp on how much of an impact MJ had on pop culture and on the world, which is even more mind boggling.

RIP, Michael, Farrah, and Ed McMahon.

What saddens me more if the amount of backlash people have been posting on facebook and twtter over MJ's dead. No one respects the dead anymore, which is a shame. However the people saying all the hateful things really had no grasp on how much of an impact MJ had on pop culture and on the world, which is even more mind boggling.

I'm gonna agree with the above;

please, DO NOT cosplay as Michael Jackson.

it would be bad form and bad taste.

still 3 celeb's in 2-3 day time span is truly sad though

There is a truth to that. It is why I haven't said anything about his death. What I want to call him would be disgraceful, some in the media called him "The Freak of Pop." I don't think his death will have the impact of Elvis Presley. We are a much more fractured culture than we were 30 years ago. I am honestly would be saddened at the Death of Willie Nelson or Garth Brooks more than I am at Michael Jackson. I am also a big country music fan.

There was already a post on the Otakon Livejournal community (and I assume elsewhere) of plans of doing a giant Thriller dance.

There was already a post on the Otakon Livejournal community (and I assume elsewhere) of plans of doing a giant Thriller dance.

See, they're going to do it anyway. Even though it's going to be in the planning stages.

moonbunnychan, do you know where the Otakon Livejournal community is located online?

Ok... here comes the left...

Unfortunately I'm usually the one that says things that people don't agree with but I need to make at least one point...

Michael Jackson was a great musical artist -- no doubt about that... He did influence alot of the musical artists of today, but I really don't believe that out society should be giving this as much attention as we are giving. He died, I understand... So did Ed and Farrah (Her passing was news for like 2 hours -- as soon as MJ passed people stopped caring it seems) -- On top of this, our media outlets have actually STOPPED reporting NEWS... I turned on the morning news just to hear reporters talking about MJ and asking viewers what their favorite memory was.... Did I miss something? Is there no REAL news to report? Is there no war going on? Did it end? Is everyone back from overseas and safe? Did our economy fix itself overnight? People aren't losing their houses or getting laid off and I assume that our unemployment rate has moved its way down to 0%... Not to mention our countries' (not to mention Baltimore's) high murder rate.... And I assume that most people forgot the man was a pedophile... One person brought that fact up on GMA and was immediately shot down. Not to speak ill of the dead but this needs to stop... Its been news long enough -- now lets start working on fixing REAL issues...

Sorry for ranting and everyone have a great time at OTAKON 2009....

Ok... here comes the left...

Unfortunately I'm usually the one that says things that people don't agree with but I need to make at least one point...

Michael Jackson was a great musical artist -- no doubt about that... He did influence alot of the musical artists of today, but I really don't believe that out society should be giving this as much attention as we are giving. He died, I understand... So did Ed and Farrah (Her passing was news for like 2 hours -- as soon as MJ passed people stopped caring it seems) -- On top of this, our media outlets have actually STOPPED reporting NEWS... I turned on the morning news just to hear reporters talking about MJ and asking viewers what their favorite memory was.... Did I miss something? Is there no REAL news to report? Is there no war going on? Did it end? Is everyone back from overseas and safe? Did our economy fix itself overnight? People aren't losing their houses or getting laid off and I assume that our unemployment rate has moved its way down to 0%... Not to mention our countries' (not to mention Baltimore's) high murder rate.... And I assume that most people forgot the man was a pedophile... One person brought that fact up on GMA and was immediately shot down. Not to speak ill of the dead but this needs to stop... Its been news long enough -- now lets start working on fixing REAL issues...

Sorry for ranting and everyone have a great time at OTAKON 2009....

But to pretend that nothing is wrong because a celebrity has died? I guess I just don't understand... Its funny that the people and shows that once dubbed the man "Wacko Jacko" are now paying tribute to the man. Its easy to be a fair weather fan or to jump on a bandwagon when its socially acceptable, but if you weren't defending the man he was being made fun of before, you shouldn't now that he's gone... And yes, our society is celebrity crazed -- I know parents that can tell you everything thats going on with Jon & Kate, or who's getting married on which soap opera, but can't name 3 of their child's friends or all of their teachers... What people need to realize is that certain things deserve certain attention and unfortunately this situation's timespan should have already expired... Let's move on to bigger and better things...

It's not that I don't respect the man as an artist or feel sympathy for his family or anything...

R.I.P. Michael Jackson

And now Billy Mays has died ;_;

I loved that guy and am such a sucker for that wacky as seen on tv stuff.

But I kinda agree about the post above...I was really sad when MJ died but I didn't really think it deserved 24 hour coverage on every single news channel.

Though maybe I'm a bad person for being somewhat glad to at least for a little while not have to hear about Iran over and over lol.

Godspeed them both. I was saddened by her death, but shocked by his. How bizarre, and such a loss of talent.

a shame indeed...

what will not be a shame is the dozen or so MJ cosplayers that are going to pop up now in tribute of him....don't do it people, don't embarrass his memory

Not to belittle all the other high profile deaths that happened that weekend, but it saddens me how they insured that the death of garage rock pioneer Sky Saxon went virtually unnoticed. :lol:

As much as it sucks to see him, or anyone for that matter, die, I'm getting tired of the media constantly covering every single facet of his life, death, and funeral. People die, it's a fact of life. I mourn his loss, just like I mourn the loss of any human being, but I personally believe the media and the public in general should let the family grieve in peace and let them have a few minutes outside of the public eye so they can put Michael's affairs in order. Let him rest in peace, because God knows he's earned it.

Would it be a stretch to add Steve McNair to 'the list'?

No it would not... As a die hard Titans fan, this news was the worst of all for me... But again I don't believe it should be covered all day on every television station...