Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toni the Mink

Thriller at Otakon?

I remember a few years back (2006, I believe) back when Otakon had an emcee on the first floor, everyone did the Thriller dance...

Who here thinks we oughta set up a time and place to do it again in memory of the late, great Michael Jackson?

EDIT Sorry I didn't see the "Suggestions" thread.... could the mod move this over please?

no? this is not an american culture convention and i have had enough of mj music in the last few days. not to mention he stole my thunder (and BI/rain's) by dying on my (our) birthday!! >_< fo' realz

no? this is not an american culture convention and i have had enough of mj music in the last few days. not to mention he stole my thunder (and BI/rain's) by dying on my (our) birthday!! >_< fo' realz

I don't know if I'd be able to pull it off, but I think it's a wonderful idea. I'd love to witness something like this.

If you think Michael Jackson was not huge in Japan, you are sadly mistaken. Lots of folks over there practically worship him for the way he revolutionized music videos.

He was a worldwide star, whatever else he did, and while I'm not sure a flashmob of the Thriller dance is a great idea (particularly inside the convention center - might be cool on the big Skywalk plaza between the Sheraton and the Hyatt, though), or exceptionally relevant to Otakon's mission, there are a lot of other things people do at the con that aren't particularly Asian-culture-centric, either.

i'd rather moonwalk dance in memory of michael jackson's moonwalker for genesis

date, time, location, and i will be there either making a fool of myself, recording it, or a bit of both. i'm leaning more towards the recording.

I'm also one whos not a fan for the flash mob thing.

BUt it would be intresting to have rabid anime fans do thriller XD

If you do the stunt, I'll be there to record it! I can guarantee that!

for some odd reason, I can see someone dressed fully up as Urahara Kisuke leading this.....

I agree with ZGL. A flashmob like this is better suited on the big Skywalk Plaza. To do it in the BCC would be a big crowd/con-traffic issue most certainly.

Just be mindful of non-congoers who use it as well.

what about that area, please correct me if I am wrong that has the tilted windows that look down onto the video game room, I have never really seen that jammed up, also, what is there was a practice run for the serious inquiries....

what about that area, please correct me if I am wrong that has the tilted windows that look down onto the video game room, I have never really seen that jammed up, also, what is there was a practice run for the serious inquiries....

If you have to do it in the BCC, that's probably the best place. However, this is something that we staffers would VERY MUCH prefer that you did outside. If it's impossible to do it outside (e.g. it's raining or a billion degrees with 2 thousand percent humidity) then that's an alrightish place to do it, but it's something that you REALLY should take outside.

I'd be interested! Just give me the date/time and you can count on me being there and making a fool of myself in loving memory. xD

-waves hands around frantically- MEMEMEMEMEMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! I WANNA DO THRILLER! GIMME TIME AND PLACE!!! 8D

I'm gonna go ahead and further disprove this by posting this.

EDIT: Actually, navigate back to picture 306 and start from there. You'll see why.

It seems someone else already had the idea. 301, 329, 344, 364, 367, 372

Yeah the area outside on the skywalk previously mentioned by ZGL would be perfect for this. It's very rarely occupied, has lots of space, and hey you may get passerby who aren't even PART of the convention joining in.

It'd be something to see, for sure. I can't dance for beans but considering one of my cosplays involves a mummy-like set of full head bandages I think I'd fit in rather well. xD

A question before I start practicing the dance xD Are we going to do a full recreation of the music video's choreography, or just the abridged version most people are familiar with?

Add another to the "please don't do this inside the BCC" crowd. Nobody wants this to pose a problem, and a bit of common sense can help prevent it from turning into a problem.

Avoid the high traffic areas, use your heads, and hopefully this will be the fun, cool thing you want, rather than the sort of thing we'd have to put a stop to.

:o^_^ This would be awesome. Why not. Prisoners are doing it in China. Why can't Otakon!

I am sure enough people know it and others will catch on. And who cares if you don't, at least you tried and the idea is to pay your respects to the Prince! Elvis is still King! How many people can do the moonwalk, but they try!

Why could this be done at the RAVE......it seems like the more appropriate place?

so what if he was popular in japan? many non-japanese people/things are popular there (obviously...?). and, i never claimed MJ wasn't "huge in japan". doesn't mean that it merits arranging some event for him there.

Why could this be done at the RAVE......it seems like the more appropriate place?

I have a pretty good feeling that you won't hear any MJ music at the rave. Doing the dance without the music would be kinda weird.

Besides, there's a good chance that you'll run in to a bunch of ravers who aren't too interested in what you're doing.

Please take this outside of the BCC.

so what if he was popular in japan? many non-japanese people/things are popular there (obviously...?). and, i never claimed MJ wasn't "huge in japan". doesn't mean that it merits arranging some event for him there.

:o:D This would be awesome. Why not. Prisoners are doing it in The Philippines. Why can't Otakon!

I have a pretty good feeling that you won't hear any MJ music at the rave. Doing the dance without the music would be kinda weird.

Besides, there's a good chance that you'll run in to a bunch of ravers who aren't too interested in what you're doing.

Please take this outside of the BCC.

If you think Michael Jackson was not huge in Japan, you are sadly mistaken. Lots of folks over there practically worship him for the way he revolutionized music videos.

He was a worldwide star, whatever else he did, and while I'm not sure a flashmob of the Thriller dance is a great idea (particularly inside the convention center - might be cool on the big Skywalk plaza between the Sheraton and the Hyatt, though), or exceptionally relevant to Otakon's mission, there are a lot of other things people do at the con that aren't particularly Asian-culture-centric, either.

I vote outside as well. Not just for traffic reasons, but I believe unlike dance mobs of Hare Yukai or whatnot, this is something the Batlimorons can appreciate as well. :D Why keep it to ourselves?

Me? I'd rather "Do the Bartman."

At least THAT was animation. :D

Is this really gonna happen?

Set up a time and place so I can take pics/record it:)

This is amazing.

I actually learned the Thriller dance 2 years ago and it's SUPER HARD, but I don't think we all have to be coordinated and stuff. I think just a boombox with a huge amount of people dancing to Thriller OUTSIDE THE CON (because inside is suicide) would be a fabulously fun time.

Anyone taking charge?

I mean, we can just aim to do it....Saturday, 11AM? I'd prefer the morning because we'll be outside and it'll be slightly cooler in the morning hours.

The only other thing I'd be concerned with is someone actually bringing the music. I'm walking to the con around 10 blocks, so I really can't bring a boombox with me. Can someone in a hotel bring one? Actually, several people in a hotel should bring a boombox in case someone drops out/finds something else to do.

As for the meeting place, so it's this "skywalk?" I think I know which one you're talking about--the one on the roof that leads to a parking garage?

Saturday at 11 AM would be just fine by me... in the open area of they skywalk, anyone have a boom box, but I lack the 8 D size batteries it would take. It will be something, my hubby is going to be dressed up as a gundam, so much fun it shall be. Anyone else have a time day suggestion other than Saturday at 11 AM??

cosplay.com was planning this as well. and i linked them to here because while it will be fun and all inside the bcc not a good idea.

Thanks Tsuki, I believe that inside otakon is not the best Idea, considering my cable bill almost didn't get paid so that my family could afford otakon. It would royally suck if I lost my badge because I wanted to dance in the middle of a con, creating a scene

Thanks Tsuki, I believe that inside otakon is not the best Idea, considering my cable bill almost didn't get paid so that my family could afford otakon. It would royally suck if I lost my badge because I wanted to dance in the middle of a con, creating a scene