Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

confucious

Otakon 2009 Game Show Survey #3: Revenge of the Ewoks

The third and last survey for the Survey Says category is now up at http://www.cjas.org/limesurvey/index.php?sid=86649. As before, please help us out by filling out this survey and spreading it to your friends. This survey will run until July 16th (ie, the day before Otakon).

Many thanks to everyone that's filled out survey #1 and 2. We're into triple digit responses for survey #1 and closing in on it for survey #2.

If you haven't filled either out yet, survey #1 is at http://www.cjas.org/limesurvey/index.php?sid=68645 and survey #2 is at http://www.cjas.org/limesurvey/index.php?sid=88959. Survey #1 will close on Monday so if you haven't filled it out yet, hurry up!. Survey #2 will close on July 13th.

You can also check us out at http://otakon-gameshow.blogspot.com for the latest information on surveys and the game show.

If you're wondering what the Game Show is: Each year at Otakon (going back over a decade), there's a Game Show event which has trivia/Jeopardy style questions. One of the categories this year is a Survey Says one where we use the data collected from these surveys and ask our contestants to guess what the most popular answer is (or some other variations).

We'll have more information regarding the Game Show and qualification quiz up soon.

So are all the questions about anime/manga/etc only or are other things mixed in as well?

Can you give us an idea of what kind of range of questions you will have?

Thanks

So are all the questions about anime/manga/etc only or are other things mixed in as well?

Can you give us an idea of what kind of range of questions you will have?

Thanks

I'd say it ends up around 90% anime, 9% manga and 1% video games/other. We try to be pretty wide ranging having both old and new shows, all different types of genres, music, video, cosplay... Basically we try to hit just about everything without getting too obscure.

sounds fun, though I doubt that I'm good enough to be any good,

I'll still give it a shot!

I did all three. Hmm this sounds very interesting. I'd be willing to give it a try.

I would love to try, though I doubt I would be selected. I know characters and series, but I don't know much about who makes what, and who voiced what.

Winner of the previous two years here, and eagerly looking forward to defending the title (lol, assuming I qualify of course, knock on wood and all that). I was wondering, o Confucious, if you guys had decided to finally nix the "Yen Is Right" category this time around? It was never really more then a glorified guessing game and I always felt it kinda broke up the flow of the show (especially considering that it was always the last category selected, held off till nothing else was left, etc.). Personally, I never liked the survey category either, heh, but at least it's markedly more fun, especially with Yaoi-kazowie's and whatnot making people cringe and laugh. As long as I'm providing (unrequited) feedback, you really should get rid of the multiple choice as well, except for a few specific categories that require it as part of the basics (like bizarre love-rectangles), as it makes things too easy and rewards people who sit back and don't actively answer. Although I suppose it's necesary for your audience participation.

Oh, and don't make the entry quiz TOO easy, it's always been ridiculously hard and the point is that only a few people get in among the 30, 000 attendees (exaggerating, I know), and you don't want 50-way ties.

I know characters and series, but I don't know much about who makes what, and who voiced what.

Characters and series will get you pretty far really. We really don't push the seiyuu and directors more than one category if at that usually. You never know how well you'll do unless you try!

... if you guys had decided to finally nix the "Yen Is Right" category this time around? ...

Yen is Right will not be appearing this year. Like you said, it's never been a popular category, and it is a bit of a relic of an older time I guess when getting stuff directly from Japan was more common. Personally, I always liked it, but then I'm a bit of a relic too. :)

you really should get rid of the multiple choice as well,

We're doing something a little new with the multiple choice this year and I think from your comments you'll like how we've reworked it. Assuming you make it past the qual quiz :D

Oh, and don't make the entry quiz TOO easy, it's always been ridiculously hard

Yeah, getting the balance right is always tough, but hopefully we've got it dialed in better this year. Well, knock on wood anyways.

Winner of the previous two years here, and eagerly looking forward to defending the title (lol, assuming I qualify of course, knock on wood and all that). I was wondering, o Confucious, if you guys had decided to finally nix the "Yen Is Right" category this time around? It was never really more then a glorified guessing game and I always felt it kinda broke up the flow of the show (especially considering that it was always the last category selected, held off till nothing else was left, etc.). Personally, I never liked the survey category either, heh, but at least it's markedly more fun, especially with Yaoi-kazowie's and whatnot making people cringe and laugh. As long as I'm providing (unrequited) feedback, you really should get rid of the multiple choice as well, except for a few specific categories that require it as part of the basics (like bizarre love-rectangles), as it makes things too easy and rewards people who sit back and don't actively answer. Although I suppose it's necesary for your audience participation.

Oh, and don't make the entry quiz TOO easy, it's always been ridiculously hard and the point is that only a few people get in among the 30, 000 attendees (exaggerating, I know), and you don't want 50-way ties.

I was planning on trying out for this,

but I watch the 08 vid

(found here)

and now I'm having second guesses.

Just listening to the guy go over the qualification question makes me cringe.

Out of the 15 or so qualification questions he went over,

I think I only recognized about 2 animes, much less got many questions right.

However, I still may try, as the guy said the average score was 1.5, with the top being 5 :lol:

I only got 3 right out of the qualification question, but I'm hoping I get lucky with the questions this year.

So, watching some of the video from last year,

how similar do you expect it to be?

Thanks

P.S: What is your policies on language of answers?

Like if I see something that is a Haruhi answer,

I might say "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu" instead of "The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi"

just because I watch the Japanese Audio version of just about everything.

That's being hopeful I get on anyways.

Loved the last question on this survey. :P

Thanks for the link for the show from last year webyugioh! I've never been able to go to the game show before, so it's nice to know what it's like so I can decide whether to go or not this year. Looks really hard from what I've seen of the qualification, but it seems awesome. :lol:

So, watching some of the video from last year,

how similar do you expect it to be?

P.S: What is your policies on language of answers?

Like if I see something that is a Haruhi answer,

I might say "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu" instead of "The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi"

just because I watch the Japanese Audio version of just about everything.

That's being hopeful I get on anyways.

The qualification quiz last year was intentionally harder, but also a little unexpectedly too hard. We're pretty sure it will be more reasonable this year. The point is of course to get a variance in scores, but we recognized that last years was just too hard.

Really, one of our major themes this year is the qualification quiz is easier this year! because we recognized it was demoralizing last year and probably scared people off.

Japanese or English is generally fine. I wouldn't worry about that.

I'll definitely at least try. I mean I knew 3 correct answers from the video, but I also new part of a 4th. Fruits basket just has WAY too many family members to remember their names.

After watching the entire video, it seems really cool.

I liked how you guys prefer subs over dubs,

as I have watched about 2 or 3 dubs in my lifetime.

The "Battle Begins" category,

(where you guess what is going to happen next in a battle)

was by far my favorite category.

I can also see why you are taking away the "Yen is Right",

as that seemed to be just random guesses.

Can you give us a little more information on how the audience competition goes though?

It seemed like it was by a texting system or something.

Thanks for answering all of my questions!

Can you give us a little more information on how the audience competition goes though?

Yep, exactly. The audience is able to register a name/handle at the start of the show through a text message, and can then text the answer to each multiple choice question during the show. Points are awarded for correct answers, and last year the top scorer was given a prize package just like the contestants. There's also a scoreboard we show periodically so the audience can see how they're doing.

Just a reminder that this is the last weekend to fill out survey #2 and survey #3. Survey #2 closes on Monday and Survey #3 closes on Thursday.

We're really close to hitting triple digit responses with Survey #2 so if you haven't filled it out yet please do so. Or if you know someone who might want to fill it out, please pass the links on to them.

Thanks again to everyone that's helped fill out and distribute the survey links. We've gotten great responses and I think the Survey Says category will be especially entertaining this year.

I meant to attend the game show last year, but I somehow never got around to it... x_x This year I'm definitely going!! I don't think I have enough confidence to try out, but I'll be in the audience Saturday night trying to guess the answers!

But man, watching and listening to all the qualification answers make me realize how much I never knew or had forgotten about all those anime... ^^;

Quick question to those who have taken the qualification quiz before:

Do you need to be at the qualification quiz exactly at 6:30 when it starts, or is it more of a walk in whenever and take the quiz sort of deal? And you can leave once you finish, right? No need to wait till 7:30 to leave?

I ask because I want to get in line for the MELL concert at 7 ^^

Thanks!

From what I have understood talking to a previous member it is just show up take the quiz and go. I'm not sure about if you can show up late, but I know you can leave early.