Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gordon

Photographers Unite! (2009)

Hey all:

I was wondering if any of you would be interested in a photo project I am trying to put together.

The project is basically any person with a digital camera, any equipment, and any skill posting their photos on AnimeJutsu.com to make a super gallery.

These photos will be indexed and posted right onto these forums as a simple, low bandwidth Link List.

The goal is to create a simple, easy to access text link only gallery on the Otakon forums. No advertisements, links to obscure pages, or hoarding photos in private accounts (Ahem, Facebook). Just the simple idea of having Otakon's photos on Otakon's website in a simple and conformed format. An example of what I am talking about can be found here: http://animenext.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=9401

A couple of people have approached me about making a collaboration. Well, it's time to act on it. :D

--------------

What photographers will do:

-On request, photographers will receive business cards with the AnimeJutsu logo. You give these to people you take photos of.

-Photographers must upload their photos as soon as they get to their hotel room or a computer.

-Photographers may receive requests from users who may want their photos removed. It doesn't happen often. Out of all the photos I've taken. I had 1 father, and 3 women request photos removed.

What Gordon@AnimeJutsu does:

I will propagate your photos onto the forum, along with a handful of other forums. I do the PR, coding, hosting, and general hard/boring parts of the project management.

What this will yield:

I usually break 10k hits per 400 photos on my galleries. Note that these photos are posted immediately, since most people will want to view them as soon as they get to their hotel rooms. I've seen others do far better on my own site. Since all of our photos will be in a simple to browse index, we'll be helping each other out.

What's the secret?

The secret is that in order to get a lot of people to look at your photos, you need to do the following:

-Take LOTS of photos

-Post them up immediately, aka, within an hour of the event.

-Propagate your photos efficiently, within an hour of the event. (AKA, my part)

-Use a simple format with people's surfing habits in mind.

Why not use another photo site like Flickr, photobucket, Facebook?

Both Flickr and Photobucket will take you to remote pages. This will lead people away from the AnimeNEXT site. Those same people would have to click back to get into the Animenext Forum, then resurf the forum.

Facebook is a private system. No one will see your photos because Facebook only works within your prebuilt group. Cool for your friends, bad for the rest of the world. (This however works great for private things like birthdays and weddings.)

Both contain extra code that links to advertiser domains. This causes slower loading. With this project (and without ads), people can get 3 to 4 times more content in the same time.

Loading the high bandwidth Mega Gallery (more on that on the bottom of this post) is like the equivalent of surfing 20 to 30 pages (considering each page only has 16 to 25 images) with 1 click. It saves everyone time. With that extra time, people use it to view your photos.

What does Gordon get out of it?

Nothing. This is a non profit project.

What do I get out of it?

Thousands of viewers. (Yes, I have the logs to back it up)

You will also have live stats via AnimeJutsu.com.

What does the public get out of it?

Photos that can be freely linked to blogs, downloaded, and shared to their friends.

Clarification on the high bandwidth Mega Gallery:

A couple of years ago, I coded a website that generates codes that allows photo galleries to be posted onto forums like this one. Otakon's Forums have a no image policy, so... instead, I host a one click mega gallery on my own site.

The mega gallery is an index of multiple photo galleries on the web on a single "page." That page has around 1000 images on it. Because of this, the page takes around 60 seconds to load on a cable modem, however, photos from multiple photographers are brought to 1 easy to view place. This allows browsers to find their photos in minutes rather then days. (The page is engineered with a user's natural web surfing habits rather then a focus on generating hits for commercial advertising.)

A current example of this is the AnimeNext 2009 high bandwidth gallery (Warning, the following page works best with a fast connection; Cable, DSL, Fiber: http://animenext.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=9402). Don't worry Otakon webmasters, I'm not putting this on your boards. (unless you allow me to :D ) I will however be hosting this style on www.animejutsu.com.

Ak, forgot to add in:

Questions, comments? Feel free to post.

And some lines in that text refer to this as the AnimeNext forum. My bad guys. tried to edit but forums locked the message.

I might be interested. I'll probably have two cameras on me, and multiple SDHC Cards. :D

Might be interested too...

Just to confirm, this is a volunteer effort?

Yes, this is a volunteer effort. There is no financial re compensation.

about Gordon:

Sex: Male

Profession: IT Systems Administrator (Small business, 100 users)

Anime related activities: Helps with local anime club website & events (http://www.mccanime.com/), Helps with local anime con as volunteer tech (http://www.animenext.org), runs an anime enthusiast site in development with friends, anime club members, and volunteers. (http://animejutsu.com)

about AnimeJutsu.com:

The site was started by a couple of friends who like anime. The focus of it is not fully realized as yet, but as of right now, it's become a photo zine for Anime, Youth, Technology.

The main twist for this zine is that it's all volunteer. Also, the photos that are collected are put on the forums of each organization (and other popular spots people look for photos). The idea of that is to let people get their photos on the event's respected website. (ex: Otakon photos on Otakon's website, ...and on Cosplay.com - animenewsnetwork.com - and other popular photo places). We also propagate photos from other cons with each other.

The site prides itself on being simple and efficient. No ads = faster loads. Javascript that compresses download time for page indexing = faster page initialization. No external page calls = zero DNS pauses. No 3rd party advertisement programming. (No malware/viruses/spam) You get the idea.

Best of all, the simplicity of the site is what makes it so great. The upload module we have enables users to drag and drop 2000 photos into their gallery in 1 action! If you have an anime related gallery, I suggest you try it now, it's pretty impressive.

Yes, this is a volunteer effort. There is no financial re compensation.

about Gordon:

Sex: Male

Profession: IT Systems Administrator (Small business, 100 users)

Anime related activities: Helps with local anime club website & events (http://www.mccanime.com/), Helps with local anime con as volunteer tech (http://www.animenext.org), runs an anime enthusiast site in development with friends, anime club members, and volunteers. (http://animejutsu.com)

about AnimeJutsu.com:

The site was started by a couple of friends who like anime. The focus of it is not fully realized as yet, but as of right now, it's become a photo zine for Anime, Youth, Technology.

The main twist for this zine is that it's all volunteer. Also, the photos that are collected are put on the forums of each organization (and other popular spots people look for photos). The idea of that is to let people get their photos on the event's respected website. (ex: Otakon photos on Otakon's website, ...and on Cosplay.com - animenewsnetwork.com - and other popular photo places). We also propagate photos from other cons with each other.

The site prides itself on being simple and efficient. No ads = faster loads. Javascript that compresses download time for page indexing = faster page initialization. No external page calls = zero DNS pauses. No 3rd party advertisement programming. (No malware/viruses/spam) You get the idea.

Best of all, the simplicity of the site is what makes it so great. The upload module we have enables users to drag and drop 2000 photos into their gallery in 1 action! If you have an anime related gallery, I suggest you try it now, it's pretty impressive.

I'm soooo down, this beats printing business cards with my Flickr on it. I'll have an SLR of sorts on me, I can't recall the model name as it'll be on loan to me from a good friend.

I'll be running to about 20 different group shoots over the weekend, but I have no individual shoots planned.

The weather for 2009 looks like it's going to be bright direct sun. Excellent for photographers and well, everything else.

Question: There will be a few serious am's and some pros like myself there---Since we will be handing out AnimeJutsu cards to the subject, would it also be feasible to hand out our business cards? I do this for a living and would love to be involved---while also hoping for a paying gig in the future. You never know, someone may want pro portraits done.....

Also---Ultimately--who owns the Copyright? after I do some retouching in Photoshop, I always affix my watermark logo---Do photos become the right of AnimeJutsu? or so I get a nod for doing something interesting?

A member of the Otakon boards PMed me, I am answering this question publically:

Is there a location where I can pick up the cards?

I'm assuming, since you did not answer my questions that you will retain all the rights, etc etc. No biggie. We will simply pimp our own website. thanks for the idea!

Oh, my bad. I could of swore I put up A reply.

In response, nom, I don't hold a copyright on your photos.

I follow the Millenium Act and the "Perfect 10 vs Google" trial as the guidelines for right.

For a more lengthy explanation, please click here:

http://forum.animejutsu.com/index.php?topic=59.msg117#msg117

-----------

If you have your own cards, you should give them out with the AJ cards. Here's the tricky part though; people get confused when you give them 2 cards. You can opt to give them your card, which lets the person find you but may be hard to remember, or or can give them the AnimeJutsu card, which will be easy to remember, only because it doesn't mention who it is from.

AnimeJutsu in this way will work as your own branding. It's up to you if you want to use it or not. If you want, you can write your name on the cards, but that's a bit time consuming.

Hey guys:

Sorry I couldn't make the Thursday Evening point. The line was insane and I was stuck in it for a while.

Tomorrow, I'll be out taking photos of the line. I'll wait from 7:00am - 7:30ish, but after that I'm starting to take photos.

If you want to find me, please reply to this message. Or you can look around for an indian guy with blue jean short and a green bookbag.