Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webyugioh

Panel Descriptions

As some have been doing /index.php?showtopic=17528&view=findpost&p=197964">another thread,

I ask all the people who are hosting a panel (or workshop)

to tell us about it and why it will be awesome.

One can only go so far on a title,

so think of this as an advertising thread for your panel.

To the MODS:

I figured it would be easier to have them all in one place,

instead of spread throughout.

I know the descriptions will be released sooner or later,

but I figured this would be easier / more fun.

Thanks!

Mobile Suit Gundam: Celebrating 30 Years

Day: Friday, 7/17/09

Time: 10:45AM - 12:45PM

Whether you are a new fan or old, you are encouraged to come learn about the history and future of one of Japan's biggest franchises.

Think you already know everything about Gundam? Then play in our game show for sweet prizes! (toys, shirts, etc)

Are there burning questions you need answers to? Ask us anything.

We are really excited for the 30th anniversary year and want to welcome everyone to see what it's all about.

Here are the ones that were already posted on the other thread:

morluna:

Our Steampunk Fashion and Gadgetry Panel is at 9am on Sunday in Panel Room 5.

Come check it out! <3 You can see some of our costume work in the multimedia section of our website. We'll be bringing most of our gear to the con and will be showing it during the panel. Outland Armour

Disorganization XIII's Spoiler: The Panel: The Sequel: The Panel

Friday - 8:30-9:30

Panel 6

What do you get when you put 4 anime fans with way too much time together in one room with a 2000 slide power point presentation and a tendency toward immature behavior? Well you get Spoiler: The Panel. We here at Disorganization XIII have given up most of our lives to bring you this solid hour+ of anime, videogame, and pop culture comedy, in which we ruin everything anime, videogame, tv show, and movie you hold dear, some of which we haven't even seen yet, in the most hilarious way possible. Come and laugh your ass off, and get a chance to win a prize, like booster packs of the Bleach TCG or a copy of Jump Ultimate stars if you can prove that you are as insane as we are. This will be the last chance to see Spoiler: The Panel: The Sequel: The Panel, as it will be our last performance until we start doing Spoiler 3 at the New York Anime Festival. Panel is not 18+ but is certainly for mature audiences only.

... oh that reminds me. Spoiler: The Panel is the property of Disorganization XIII, Angelo D'Argenio and Robert Bauer. Spoiler is copyright DO XIII.

I say this because I see a 18+ panel called Spoiler Alert! on the schedule. Accept no imitations, we are the original Spoiler: The Panel which has been going on for 5+ years. If we find out that these Spoiler: Alert guys are biting off our panel concept, you can be sure we will come for their hides. We know a very reputable distributor of Zombie Cyborg Monkey Ninja Lawyers.

Alright, here's my panel...

How to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse

Day: Saturday, 7/18/09

Time: 830PM - 1030PM

Ever wonder what you would need to do to survive the inevitable zombie apocalypse? Need some tips on how to keep those pesky flesh-eaters at bay? Come join us for some zombie history, hilarity, and those ever important essential tips! We'll be working hard to debunk those myths, keep you in the know, and of course provide a good laugh.

I'm running a lolita fashion related panel... here's the info

Freedom of Fashion: The American Lolita

Time: 5 - 6PM

Day: Friday

Room: Panel Room 2

Come and learn about the exciting movement of the American Gothic and Lolita "scene". Get an insight into the difference between our Japanese counterparts and what frilly events are in store for the future of this amazing and unique fashion the USA. There will also be raffle ticket prize giveaways and a Q&A !

Here's a more detailed description of our Steampunk panel, if I may:

Steampunk Fashion and Gadgetry Panel: Sunday 9am in Panel Room 5

A one hour crash course in steampunk costuming and prop making. We'll start off with a quick overview of the basics of the genre, and move on to sharing techniques for achieving the steampunk look in your creations. We also have a treasure trove of props and costume pieces of our own to share with everyone.

Finally, if time allows, we will show our award-winning short film, Professor Dantes and the Severin Conundrum, followed by Q & A.

Come to our table in the Artists Alley and buy tickets for the raffle. We'll be doing the drawing during our panel on Sunday, and the prizes include custom steampunk prop guns, accessories, and other sundries from our line of custom steampunk creations.

We are also planning to have a little steampunk meetup/photoshoot immediately after the panel. The photoshoot is scheduled for 10:30am by the main indoor fountains, but we may roam around to different photo op places from there.

Outland Armour - Our website! We have lots of pictures of our steampunk stuff in the photo albums under "multimedia", if you'd like a preview of some of the stuff you'll see at the panel. <3

~ Laura

Here's a more detailed description of our Steampunk panel, if I may:

Steampunk Fashion and Gadgetry Panel: Sunday 9am in Panel Room 5

A one hour crash course in steampunk costuming and prop making. We'll start off with a quick overview of the basics of the genre, and move on to sharing techniques for achieving the steampunk look in your creations. We also have a treasure trove of props and costume pieces of our own to share with everyone.

Finally, if time allows, we will show our award-winning short film, Professor Dantes and the Severin Conundrum, followed by Q & A.

Come to our table in the Artists Alley (shared with Lolitas n Cream) and buy tickets for the raffle. We'll be doing the drawing during our panel on Sunday, and the prizes include custom steampunk prop guns, accessories, and other sundries from our line of custom steampunk creations. Lolitas n Cream is Lindsay Hamilton's (one of our crew members) side project for sweet lolita jewelry that she does with her friend Jennie. They will also be doing a raffle for some of their creations at our panel, so if you like a little cake with your clockwork, you should definitely check out what they have to offer. ^_-

We are also planning to have a little steampunk meetup/photoshoot immediately after the panel. The photoshoot is scheduled for 10:30am by the main indoor fountains, but we may roam around to different photo op places from there.

Outland Armour - Our website! We have lots of pictures of our steampunk stuff in the photo albums under "multimedia", if you'd like a preview of some of the stuff you'll see at the panel. <3

~ Laura

(Sorry for the double post... I tried to edit the above post but it wouldn't let me...)

Video Games that Push Your Buttons

Time: 8:15 PM - 9:15 PM

Gaming's been around for a while now, but the writing and the design leave me scratching my head on occasion. From Bomb Man in Mega Man (that's just asking for your megalomaniacal partner to steal your robot) to the love confessions every 5 minutes in Persona 4, I've been struck speechless on more than one occasion asking myself how companies can possibly think common tropes and cliches in video gaming make sense.

We're tired of seeing health-replenishing, fully-cooked turkeys in garbage cans, super-soldiers who can't sprint, and orphaned RPG characters. On the other hand, the lack of parents might explain the terrible hair. Join your fellow gamers in a collective facepalm at our favorite pastime. We promise you'll laugh, and you might even win something.

The Secret Life of Megaman

Time: 12:45PM - 1:45PM

Last year we covered all the basics, so this year we are moving on to exploring the dedication of the blue bomber's fans! From hard to find commercials and promos, to fan created animations and live action movies, we're showing it all! We promise you a fantASStic time (if you get the reference, kudos to you! You'll then know part of what to expect ;)

Also, we'll be bringing back our raffle with tons of awesome Megaman/Rockman goodies, including a grand prize donated directly by Capcom! Don't miss it! (Raffle tickets will be given to those as they come through the door... so if you camp out the panel on the inside you might miss out, just fyi).

Panelists: Ryouko (Rockman-exe.com), LBD Nytetrayn (Megaman Network), Terra (Stardroids.net) and Tabby (Digitally Fanged)

Here is another one I found:

jimay:

Hey guys.

I am definitely excited for this year's panels line up for Otakon!

I have a couple of panels that are running this year, which are back from last year!

Budget Tokyo Travel (formerly "Tokyo Travel on a Budget" 2008)

Panel 1 - Friday

3:15 PM - 4:15 PM

Our team will go over the ins and outs of making a trip to Tokyo happen without spending outrageous amounts of money!

J-Music 101: Introduction to the Japanese Music Industry (formerly "JPOP 101" 2007 and 2008)

Panel 1 - Friday

4:30 PM - 5:30 PM

An introduction into the world of mainstream Japanese music, where we will obviously introduce various artists from many different genres. This is the same stuff you will hear that is already being promoted and on top of the current charts in Japan. Geared for audiences who are either familiar or unfamiliar with J-Music!

Hope you guys can make it to my panels!

The schedule is up with descriptions,

but feel free people to continue to try and advertise your panel to its fullest!

I am running the panel called Irrashaimase!:

The panel description is listed, but I would love to get the word out that this panel is for anyone: male or female. I am not only talking about host clubs but also hostess clubs. That will be about half the panel. I am really excited to discuss maid and butler cafes as well. I just traveled to Japan for six weeks, and I am really excited to share with anyone who is interested my research while I was there. Basically... by research I mean my visiting a ton of maid, danso, and butler cafes. So really, whatever you are interested in, I think this panel would be great to learn about some of the entertainment industries of Japan.

I am currently taking any questions related to my panel too. I would love to see what people are interested in learning about. I am going to be asking what questions people are interested in at the start of the panel, as well.

PS: I am ridiculously excited to be doing this.

Panel: Anime, Lost in Translation

Date and time: Saturday, 9:00 a.m.

This is my very first panel ever and I'm super-excited and nervous and... nervous about it XD It's also at the same time as the Gaia panel and right next door... which makes me a little bit sad, but I'm sure I'll live, haha.

Anyway! This panel goes over some things in the Japanese language that either don't translate well, CAN'T translate well, or just usually AREN'T translated well, with lots of specific examples I've noticed over the years. I'm not fluent in Japanese (four years of classes all started leaking out my ear as soon as I graduated), but I'm going into this assuming some of my audience members will know absolutely nothing about the language at all and will hopefully find it ineresting, informative, and at least a little bit amusing. Please come and be ready to ask questions and share your own examples = )

My favorite impossible-to-translate line ever comes from episode 17 of Trigun, but I think that's the only possibly spoilery moment in the panel. Hopefully nobody is too worried about being spoiled over a show that's over ten years old, but I'll make sure to warn first anyway = )