Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

onsenmark

One WEEK Until Otakon 2009!

Man, I wish I could help set up Otakon... I should try and be a gofer some point so I can become a staffer @.@

What kind of pre-reg festivities are going on? >>

non convention run things. except for everyones favorite game of 'LINE STANDING!' that is run by Otakon *bricked*

I'm not panicing... I just have a new list of things I need to do in the next 5 days aside from work... like go to walmart ... yet again

I'm quite content now because it turns out the people that I thought were coming over actually aren't coming over after all. So that means I DON'T have to clean! =D That's good. Now I can procrastinate without actually procrastinating from anything.

Argh! Why did I suddenly get an idea for a cosplay TODAY?!?! It'd be an easy cosplay to pull off, but there's no way I'd have it done from conception to completion in four days! Guess I'll have to put it on the back burner for next con. I'll be wearing either one or two kimono this year. I've been practicing my obi knots and can do a passable job at two styles. Can't say I'm an expert, but I won't completely shame myself either.

I'm in the packing phase of my prepping! I only have four full days before my flight, so I'm washing clothes and making sure I know where everything is. Last year I had to stop at a dollar store on the way to the airport to buy a toothbrush. The year before I completely forgot to pack a single pair of socks. Hopefully this year I'll manage to bring everything I'll need. LOL

I've been posting some last minute ebay sales and checking every bank and credit card account to figure out exactly what I've got. ;) So excited... I've tested out all my cosplays and have all but what I use between now and Thursday packed. Can't wait!!

Today I got my costume together, got the food and disposable dinner ware sorted into correct bags, bought the soda I'm bringing, and started loading my "backup clothes" bag aka the things you normally take on an over night trip. My cot and sleeping bag are already in the trunk and everything. I just can't wait...but there's still 3 days till the real preparation starts. After tomorrow things should go quick. *squee*

I should...probably pack...maybe...I bought a rain poncho today, plus granola bars to use a snack while in line for stuff...I refuse to die this year...I gotta actually figure out what I'll be packing everything in...good thing that I just went to and came back from Florida cause all my packing stuff is still out and waiting for me...I dunno...@_@ Maybe I'll write a list of everything I need so I won't forget stuff.

I found my Otakon notebook from last year when I never went. Time to draw up the master plans for this year! :3

Murr...5 AM and I'm still awake...I literally haven't been able to sleep...and it's not because of Otakon either...I'm sitting here, exhausted with my head aching, but all I did was lay in bed for 4 hours tossing and turning...so I just gave up...

I found my Otakon notebook from last year when I never went. Time to draw up the master plans for this year! :3

I remember talking to you last year, you said you were going to do Soldier from TF2. Still planning on doing TF2 for this year?

Also, anyone know any good ideas for food to bring to save money? I was thinking instant Ramen cooked with coffee pot water.

I usually don't worry about what to drink. Those water vendors are a godsend, really. I'll be going out today and grabbing some snacks like granola, crackers and Little Debbie cakes. I'm flying and my suitcase is already going to be full near to bursting, I don't want to have snacks that take up too much space.

The year before last we ordered Chinese and had it delivered to the hotel. I'm not sure how far away they came from, but they didn't seem to have any problem filling a somewhat large order (about 10 people ate) on Saturday night. It was tasty and my only regret is our room didn't have a fridge, so I ended up having to toss about half of my food. It might be a good idea to have food delivered from somewhere a bit of a distance away from the con, so that the restaurant isn't as likely to be overwhelmed. If I recall correctly, we've had pizza delivered before as well.

4 days until Otakon!

In 4 hours I leave for the beach! And then I come back in time for Otakon! :)

In 4 hours I leave for the beach! And then I come back in time for Otakon! :D

I know there's a grocery store past radisson. That's where I load up on soda, mm

Here's the basic rule of thumb I go by when it comes to food related stuff at otakon, "There's 25,000 other people, no matter what the idea is you're not the first and you won't be the last." ie don't bank on them having soda during the convention...Thursday morning maybe. Stock up ahead of time...Walmart has better prices anyway.

In 4 hours I leave for the beach! And then I come back in time for Otakon! :D

Lucky

Some still have work before Otakon :)

Protip: Bring you Otakon Nalgene bottle and fill it up all weekend for free. There is free (well, to you) water all over the BCC.

Failing that, just buy water ONCE and save the plastic bottle.

Money saved: $2-3 a pop (pun intended but only valid in midwest). Or a lot of walking.

Protip: Bring you Otakon Nalgene bottle and fill it up all weekend for free. There is free (well, to you) water all over the BCC.

Failing that, just buy water ONCE and save the plastic bottle.

Money saved: $2-3 a pop (pun intended but only valid in midwest). Or a lot of walking.

I'm bringing a bottle of water with me, a Bologna and Cheese sandwich, my ds and my cd's this thursday.

Just did my last WalMart run for Otakon, NO MORE MONEY SPENDINGS UNTIL AT CON.

Now I just need to get through 3 days of working, pack, see Harry Potter and sleep while I can.

I am packed for Otakon, already. I packed my clothes today for the weekend because I have a 14 hour day between the commute and working. I will be ready for Otakon at 6 PM on Thursday. I have my Gofering rough schedule layout of the hours I am doing (plan to do 20 hours or so.) Otakon is almost here.

I need to pack...and stuff...I finally fell asleep today at 11 AM...@___@ That's one of the things on my to-do list...get my weird sleeping problem sorted out before Otakon.

I need to pack...and stuff...I finally fell asleep today at 11 AM...@___@ That's one of the things on my to-do list...get my weird sleeping problem sorted out before Otakon.

You're not alone with that problem. I need to pack tonight and do a few touch-ups to painted cosplay items. I'll probably do a cosplay run tomorrow and make sure everything looks good :( Now I'm getting excited lol.

Want to try and do at least some packing tonight... still trying to sell a few last minute things, doing all that lovely prep work. Only one day of work left in between. Hoyes. X3

Eeeiii

I'm scared about my moneyness, but hopefully I'll be okay. I have a few things left to do with cosplay. Then I have to make arrangements to get there thursday. Ohhh, I'm so excited. It's like, now that the schedule's up and it's so close, all you can do is....wait.

Alright. I got my obligatory freakout out of the way today. Every year there's one day where I have a minor panic attack over the money I am spending on Otakon and consider canceling the trip. Usually I get better and end up having a blast. A couple years I had my freakout early enough in the process where I actually DID cancel though.

Party tonight, work tomorrow and wednesday. All nighter on Wednesday then early morning bus ride to the airport.

26ish hours later in Washington DC. Thats provided everything goes as planned. :D

Haven't finished packing yet either... :P

I went and laid down and tried to catch up on sleep...didn'tttt work, but...eh...I feel a little bit more normal now that I laid down. Left side of my neck is killing me...maybe I slept on it wrong...

C'monnn, Otakon, get here already. >__<

Things needed to get done:

1. pack stuff

2. finish yuuki coat (its almost dooone :D!! )

3. Practice cosplay poses for photography at the con.

4. watch animes where my chracters are from.

5. clean house.

6. fold laundry.

7. work and make as much monies as possible @____@

so yeaaaa.....and the big thing that stinks about this is i work 2-6 am then 10-4pm then 5-8pmish for monday and tuesday TT___TT then 1-5 and 5-8 pm wednesday xD then i gotta pick up a friend and do some shopping for breakfast food for the con wheeeeeee Im so excited its hard to sleep...why...whhhhhy havent you come yet otakon?! WHHHHYYYYEEEE!

Gotta see what I actually wanna do this weekend. Not much of the programming looks terribly interesting so I'll be researching panels and workshops all week :D

4 more days until otakon!!! woooooo!!! this week is going to go by sooo slowly.

oh and to make matters worse, i have work from 7-11am at hollister friday morning wooo!

oh and to make matters worse, i have work from 7-11am at hollister friday morning wooo!

All but last minute packing to do.... its the long ass drive that I'm dreading, but only if I have issues with sleep; which happens sometimes and recently has really acted up... it wouldnt be a real problem except I have to be in certain places around certain times. If I could just sleep till I can't sleep no more and then jump in the car and drive; I'd be fine :D

C

72 hours, 3 days until Otakon!

Today's the last day of work for me before Otakon. Still need to: Get the car's oil changed, run it through the car wash, get prints, get mattes, get a haircut and dye, do laundry, clean the INSIDE of the car, clean the bathroom, clean my own room, clean the guest room, dry clean my green jacket, and a million other things I'm sure I'll think of during the course of the week.

This is the kind of rushing about in a panic I don't mind though -- because there's a toy surprise at the end! :D

Once my load of laundry finishes drying I'll have everything together. Today the main objective is to find a few select MTG cards to make my deck complete. Tomorrow the otakon plans begin...where I stay up late tuesday and get up early Wednesday so I'm dead tired all day as I clean out and load the car that way sleeping Wednesday night will be easy. Wake up at 4am Thursday go through the check list, and hit the road, make it to Baltimore by about 2pm.

All but last minute packing to do.... its the long ass drive that I'm dreading, but only if I have issues with sleep; which happens sometimes and recently has really acted up... it wouldnt be a real problem except I have to be in certain places around certain times. If I could just sleep till I can't sleep no more and then jump in the car and drive; I'd be fine :D

C

Anyone got those pre-otakon jitters yet?

Anyone got those pre-otakon jitters yet?

So yeah, I actually do have a lot of stuff still to do:

1) Get a haircut

2) Carwash

3) Get some reasonably healthy snacks

4) Laundry

5) More laundry

6) Clean the apartment

7) Get some practice time w/SF4 and Blazblue

8) Pack

9) Work half-day Thursday

10) Get gas

11) Leave for Otakon :D

Perhaps by making this list I'll even remember to do all of this...

So yeah, I actually do have a lot of stuff still to do:

1) Get a haircut

2) Carwash

3) Get some reasonably healthy snacks

4) Laundry

5) More laundry

6) Clean the apartment

8) Pack

9) Work half-day Thursday <--On Vacation

10) Get gas

11) Leave for Otakon :D

Perhaps by making this list I'll even remember to do all of this...