Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sailorutena1122

Traffic Advisory

I received the following info at work today and while these traffic closures and such don't seem to effect the streets around Otakon itself I though it would be nice to share it for those traveling to the con.

Traffic Advisory: Traffic Modifications for Artscape 2009

The Baltimore City Department of Transportation today announced street closures and parking restrictions in effect for Artscape 2009, Baltimore

Where Artscape is usually doesn't bother Downtown car traffic. It may cause bus's to run slower, but the light rail should still be fine.

If you are taking a train back to New York, DC, Philly or other places, put extra time into your trip back. This is a weekend that the best way to go to Penn Station is by Light Rail. There will be no cabs in front of Penn Station (as usual). They will be on the St. Paul Street side of the station.

hah, traffic is nothin, well usually it's nothin, just depends on the time I leave for the con. I personally will take 95 north from Woodbridge, Va then go east on the Beltway and finally take the Baltimore-Washington Parkway all the way to Baltimore. And luck has it for me too cause that road will take me right to the Hilton too. the whole trip will take me 1:30 hours to 1:45 hours AT speed limit, I don't risk those speeding tickets like most people do.

I went out to Artscape last year or the year before (it wasn't on Otakon weekend). I rode out with some friends rather than take the light rail from the hotel we were at. The last light rail trip of the evening was almost as bad as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk2R_mqV4ts. I don't think I could have brought myself to be on the light rail at that time.

Just something to consider if you are looking for a hotel near or north of the Mt. Royal light rail station (map).

Traffic was awful this morning and roads they didn't say were going to be closed off were closed off. Thought you might want another heads up from the Downtown Partnership.

UPDATE: Lombard St. Repaving to Begin Wednesday, July 15

On Wednesday, July 15, milling, resurfacing and sidewalk repairs will begin on Lombard Street between President Street and Martin Luther King Boulevard. While traveling in the vicinity, motorists should expect delays, obey all parking restrictions, and stay alert for new traffic patterns. Special Traffic Enforcement Officers, Variable Message Signs, and traffic signal optimization will help assist with the flow of traffic. The project will be completed by late fall.

At least three lanes of traffic will remain open at all times on Lombard Street from President Street to Light Street. At least two lanes of traffic will remain open on Lombard Street from Light Street to Martin Luther King Boulevard. Parking restrictions will be implemented periodically on Fayette Street during construction to minimize possible congestion in the area.

Precautions will be taken to minimize disruptions to businesses and pedestrians during the construction period. Access to local area businesses will be maintained at all times. Contractors will also give consideration to noise levels around area hospitals and hotels and have agreed to keep noise to a minimum during late night and early morning hours.

Traffic delays are expected, especially along Lombard, Pratt and Lexington Streets between President Street and Martin Luther King Boulevard. Leave early to allow for extra travel time. Use public transportation choices to commute downtown if possible. Use alternative routes to get to your destination.

Drivers are encouraged to use the following alternative routes:

Traffic traveling downtown from the east (Fells Point and Canton) areas etc. should use Central Avenue north, to west on Orleans Street. Follow Orleans Street west, to south on Martin Luther King Boulevard or Greene Street to go to University of Maryland, stadium events, Baltimore-Washington Parkway (I-295) or I-95.

Traffic traveling southbound I-83 going to I-95/I-395 should take the North Avenue exit towards Mount Royal Avenue, to Martin Luther King Boulevard to I-95/I-395.