Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

absinthewilde

Concerts and Panels

This year will be my first Otakon so I need a little advice from the seasoned members. I am really looking forward to the Kanon Wakeshima show but I am unclear on how the concert seating works. Is it advisable to try to line up for it really early? Is lining up too early frowned upon? This is the main reason I got tickets this year so I really don't want to get stuck with lousy seats or even worse not be able to get in. Also for panels, is it usually ok to get at the room at the starting time or do you need to line up early for those? Is it possible to get in if you are a few minutes late? Sorry about my newbness, I did look around first to see if any of this was already awnsered.

As for concerts, that varies. There will certainly be concert policies posted in the convention guide and probably in the line as well, so read them carefully. (I haven't seen anything on the website yet, but if it's there and I missed it, someone please correct me!) As far as panels, it really depends on the panel! The Gaia Online panel, for instance, usually fills the room entirely and then there are people who can't get in, so getting there AT LEAST an hour early isn't a bad idea (though since it's at 9 am this year that might not be entirely accurate). Q&A sessions with voice actors and Japanese guests are generally similarly full. But some panels might only be half full. It really depends on the popularity of the panel, and it can be hard to gage. I recommend getting there early anyway if you can, just to try to guarantee yourself a spot. You can also always stroll by the panel room, see if a line has started to form, and get in it if it has. The Otakon staff is usually very good about keeping lines organized and out of the way of traffic flow, so listen to them = )

A good rule of thumb is do not line up more than one event in advance. You will likely be shooed away (or not considered part of the "real" line, when it does form).

The hallways are big enough for the crowds to walk through normally, but not when there are 3 separate lines waiting for different events held in the same room.

Don't line up more than an hour early.

Yes, because how would you distinguish between the people lined up 1 hour early for the 4PM panel from the people lined up 2 hours early for the 5PM.

Paradoxes and confusion ensue.

If you feel compelled to line up, please do so in an orderly fashion. Be nice to the staff, especially spec ops. We love them.

I'd also add: identify and locate the staffer in charge of that event's line handling and communicate what you're going to do in a clear and polite manner, and see what they have to say about it and then follow his or her instructions.