Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Eva Monkey

People lined up already...

As of 8:45am on my way to work this morning, there looked to be somewhere in the neck of 30-50 people out in front of the convention center.

Could someone please firmly explain to these tardbuckets that it is currently summer, and that badge claim doesn't open for another nine hours. And if they have nothing better to do, and are there purely to socialize, that there are considerably better places to do it. Like air conditioned hotel lobbies for example.

I guess for some people, it may be the highlight of the con. I had spoken to a guy last year who was one of the first people outside and he said that he loves camping outside the center and looks forward to it every year. It is kinda crazy though seeing how hot it is and how dangerous at night it can be (heard some people were out there as early as 2:00am)

I guess for some people, it may be the highlight of the con. I had spoken to a guy last year who was one of the first people outside and he said that he loves camping outside the center and looks forward to it every year. It is kinda crazy though seeing how hot it is and how dangerous at night it can be (heard some people were out there as early as 2:00am)

As of 8:45am on my way to work this morning, there looked to be somewhere in the neck of 30-50 people out in front of the convention center.

Could someone please firmly explain to these tardbuckets that it is currently summer, and that badge claim doesn't open for another nine hours. And if they have nothing better to do, and are there purely to socialize, that there are considerably better places to do it. Like air conditioned hotel lobbies for example.

Could someone please firmly explain to these tardbuckets...

Please, PLEASE tell me I can get a Tardbucket Otakon Badge...

And for the record, I use the term "tardbucket" as lovingly as possible in this instance.

But seriously, someone go slap some sense into these people.

Could someone please firmly explain to these tardbuckets...

Please, PLEASE tell me I can get a Tardbucket Otakon Badge...

I hope they brought like 4 cases of water... what is it in baltimore right now like 95? Maybe they figure if they get there early they get to stand under the shelter to the entrance. XD

I was coming home from Harry Potter last night at 10pm and there were three people sitting outside. Yes, Tardbucket is a good name because once the doors open the line moves pretty swiftly and you have your badge within the hour.

For some people it's a Badge of Honor. I may ride my bike up there in a few and check it out, tho. Grab lunch at california tortilla....chat some peeps up. Then, I will leave and wait for the evening sun in the comfort of my Air conditioned living room.

I was coming home from Harry Potter last night at 10pm and there were three people sitting outside.

That's just idiotic. You don't do that in the city.

And if any of them pass out or fall ill from the 90+ heat, they'll try to blame either the Otakon staff or the BCC staff. It's amazing how dumb some peeps can be!!!

I was coming home from Harry Potter last night at 10pm and there were three people sitting outside.

That's just idiotic. You don't do that in the city.

I'll wait till 7pm to get my badge. Right now I'm in my nice cool basement apartment, relaxing on my bed with my laptop & my two kitty cats snoozing by me.

relaxing on my bed with my laptop & my two kitty cats snoozing by me.

That's the life.

If enough people do it, it becomes less stupid! Gotta love mobs. :P

Three people is not a mob. I pay attention to Baltimore police logs, so I'm well aware that groups of people are mugged by single perpetrators. I am also aware that there are GROUPS of city kids that mug people. Seriously, watch out. Don't think, "I'm with a bunch of people, I'm safe", because you're on their turf, and you have plenty to lose.

Be safe, and don't take unnecessary risks.

Three people is not a mob. I pay attention to Baltimore police logs, so I'm well aware that groups of people are mugged by single perpetrators. I am also aware that there are GROUPS of city kids that mug people. Seriously, watch out. Don't think, "I'm with a bunch of people, I'm safe", because you're on their turf, and you have plenty to lose.

hey, I live in fells pt--a "Nice" neighborhood and a good friend of mine was mugged recently--a bar I frequent was robbed at gunpoint on Monday. Crime is up because the economy is getting worse. Don't get me wrong---I *LOVE* this city, but you have to make responsible decisions in ANY city.

I REALLY must put the finishing touches on my costume.......

One word: mace.

One word: NAIVETE

Mace will do you no good when you're up against a group of city teens with pistols/knives.

Hanging out on the street overnight in the city is not something you do for fun under any circumstances.

That has been a big concern in recent months about the city teens preying on people like that, and it's one of those problems that can never be cured. I feel the same way as Eva Monkey, but all that's needed to do is just use common sense. As for the line campers, I understand those few were there since about 7-8pm last night, to which I say is dumb in this weather. I'm out here in the [Anne Arundel] County and I can feel it, uguu. I'll be coming up here no earlier than 6pm when the line is actually moving...

...I live in fells pt--a "Nice" neighborhood

I live in Bolton Hill, also a nice neighborhood, but that doesn't matter, people get mugged here frequently, often the female art students. It happens, and people don't seem to understand that in the city, you need to keep to yourself and not stand out. People don't usually need to worry about it at Otakon, because of the huge groups. But that's of no use to you in the middle of the night when hardly anyone is out.

Also, it's hot. Dehydration sucks.

I go to school over at Towson U, and people get mugged/raped around that area very frequently. Baltimore City and County both have their issues.

Anyhow.

Someone sent me a text message asking if I was in line yet early this morning. I sent them a reply saying "No I'm not stupid." It's already reached 90 so far, although it does look like its gonna rain soon.

If you do want to be out in the heat then wear light, white or khaki clothing. Dark colours & black absorb heat & will exhaust you faster which could lead to heatstroke in this excessive heat.

...I live in fells pt--a "Nice" neighborhood

I live in Bolton Hill, also a nice neighborhood, but that doesn't matter, people get mugged here frequently, often the female art students. It happens, and people don't seem to understand that in the city, you need to keep to yourself and not stand out. People don't usually need to worry about it at Otakon, because of the huge groups. But that's of no use to you in the middle of the night when hardly anyone is out.

Also, it's hot. Dehydration sucks.

90% of the crimes that you read about in murder ink, blotters and crime logs are usually between people that know each other. Crimes like robberies and such are crappy---yes, but they don't always end in murder/assault unless someone tries to be a hero. Yes, Baltimore has a crime problem, Yes--it is getting worse as City services are cut back. But WHY did my friend get mugged? because he was DRUNK and walked home ALONE during a BLOCK WIDE BLACK OUT!

I will respectfully disagree that the city has roving gangs of youths hell bent on mugging tourists in the inner harbor.

I never said that there were. I'm talking about the city as generalized area where bad stuff happens to people who don't user their heads.

For instance:

A young white woman in Bolton hill got locked out of her apartment. A black man in an orange jumpsuit offered to help her get in through a window via a fire escape. She accepted and he helped her into her apartment. Guess what happened after that? He raped and robbed her. She didn't deserve it. But she was an idiot for not using her head. Not to stereotype that all black men in orange jumpsuits in Baltimore are thieving rapists, but anyone should have the common sense to walk away from that.

The city isn't a crime infested jungle, and I'm not saying that bad stuff will happen to you, but you just have to be careful, wherever you, however you're dressed, whether you're with one person or ten. Please, be careful.

Getting back on topic would be cool....

I plan on hopping in line tomorrow as soon as I can. I'm taking the light rail into the city after my flight lands at 7:45, getting in line hopefully around 8:30.

90% of the crimes that you read about in murder ink, blotters and crime logs are usually between people that know each other. Crimes like robberies and such are crappy---yes, but they don't always end in murder/assault unless someone tries to be a hero. Yes, Baltimore has a crime problem, Yes--it is getting worse as City services are cut back. But WHY did my friend get mugged? because he was DRUNK and walked home ALONE during a BLOCK WIDE BLACK OUT!

I WISH I COULD QUOTE THIS HARDER.

A lot of the crime here is drug related. I'm not saying random people aren't killed here--My mom's found a dead body behind the school she works in, she's been shot at, ect--but I'm not terribly concerned with something happening to me in the Inner Harbor. Lower Park Heights avenue yes. Tourist trap no.

I will respectfully disagree that the city has roving gangs of youths hell bent on mugging tourists in the inner harbor.

I never said that there were. I'm talking about the city as generalized area where bad stuff happens to people who don't user their heads.

For instance:

A young white woman in Bolton hill got locked out of her apartment. A black man in an orange jumpsuit offered to help her get in through a window via a fire escape. She accepted and he helped her into her apartment. Guess what happened after that? He raped and robbed her. She didn't deserve it. But she was an idiot for not using her head. Not to stereotype that all black men in orange jumpsuits in Baltimore are thieving rapists, but anyone should have the common sense to walk away from that.

The city isn't a crime infested jungle, and I'm not saying that bad stuff will happen to you, but you just have to be careful, wherever you, however you're dressed, whether you're with one person or ten. Please, be careful.

A lot of the crime here is drug related. I'm not saying random people aren't killed here--My mom's found a dead body behind the school she works in, she's been shot at, ect--but I'm not terribly concerned with something happening to me in the Inner Harbor. Lower Park Heights avenue yes. Tourist trap no.

I have a few acquaintances that are city prosecutors. hardly any of the crimes they prosecute are random. 95% are retaliations of some sort in relation to drugs/gangs/fights/beefs with people they know. The random crimes that do happen get so much press people believe that it could happen to them!!! OH NOES!!!!!!! and the cycle of flight from the inner cities begin again, etc etc. and let me tell you--Columbia, MD isn't exactly a haven of safety. I grew up in that SH*THOLE and people are fooling themselves into believing they are safer. I believe it is a sh*thole because of the mindset of people---"Can't happen here!" and "Not in my Backyard!" and it's sweeped under the rug....

9 hours is absolutely ridiculous... I mean, the BCC is so close to the Inner harbor, take a nice walk there if you truly have nothing to do! You could probably show up at 10:59 and still get your badge on time...

Drove by the BCC on my way back from dropping my mom at the airport. Rolled down the windows and blasted the hell out of Zetsubou Billy.

Don't know if anyone noticed... but it felt DAMN GOOD. XD

I spotted a Haruhi Suzumiya walking up Charles St. too.

Man, I am so pumped for the weekend~

The peeps who spent 3+ hours waiting in the heat today will probably the ones with the worst Otafunk Friday & Saturday. :rolleyes:

Wow... Seriously... Someone wanna walk with me?? I am going solo this year... O.o I dun wanna get mugged... Or knifed or otherwise assulted...

Note to self... Make a bunch of friends this year so this never happens again....

Alright I live in Fells Point/Butchers Hill and I went to work at 5:30am and guess what I saw? 8 is early but 6:00! I just wish I had my camera as the sun was coming out and bums were still sleeping on benches.

>;3 I was there.

Well Otakon goers, I apparently picked a fine time to get into the pre-reg line...6:30. I buddied up with a friend of mine from the other BBS and got there in fairly good speed. We also saw that the line was much worse when we left around 8pm, uguu! Anyway, I'm posting a few photos of stuff on my flickr (mdpioneerb), for all to see tonight, and now we get to do this for real first tihing tomorrow. See you soon!

I got in line around 730ish...and I got out of line at 930pm. D:

I wish I could quote this harder. Guys, *seriouly*. I love you all, but 8:45 in the freaking morning on Thursday? Why? I walked past o go to the Hilton to pick p my badge and was just like...Buwha? :rolleyes: Why are you people here? Go eat breakfast or something, plz. waiting outside in nintey somthing degree weather for nine hours is not smart. Really, ILU, my fellow congoers, but sometimes you make me headdesk.

The lines were sooooo long - I have a special needs badge so I didn't have to wait long but dang the line was long well into the evening!

*Waves to ZGL*

I was hoping that the line would dissipate around 9pm but it just kept going. So I decided it was more worth it to get my badge on Friday morning.

Thank god for VAMPS concert, got my badge in less than 5 minutes.

But, on the other hand, I kept thinking " Who in their right mind would be standing out here in this heat at 10am? " as the light rail dropped me off at the convention center. I was truly baffled. But, whatever floats their boats. I personally enjoyed the nice A/C of the hotel room.

.... And some suffering for VAMPS.

For the record, the guy who was first in line in 2007 and 2008 was in a U.S. Army uniform. Combat fatigues.

He was NOT cosplaying. In 2007, he got his badge, went to gofer training, went home, and reported for deployment to Iraq at 0600 the next morning at BWI. (His previously requested leave was canceled.)

Now, if YOU feel up to mugging a trained member of our military, then you're............. well, maybe about as stupid as most of the criminal punks in Baltimore. But I wouldn't hold much hope for you. :D