Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tstidm1

Otakon is getting press and it is only Day 0

Otakon got a front page article in the Arts Section of the Baltimore Sun (Baltimore's Major Daily). Here is a link to the web article: http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/...0,7939304.story. There is one minor flaw if you know Otakon's history in the article, but the story is accurate otherwise. Also, Baltimore's Free Daily B made the con their Front page story on their paper. It had a two page story done on it in the Centerfold of the paper. You should find some still around at the time of Pre-reg pick up or you can read the article here: http://www.bthesite.com/archives/2009/07/q...eekends-otakon/. Two more signs that Otakon is slowly taking over Baltimore for a weekend. One of these years, we may get as much mainstream coverage as San Diego Comic Con.

Awesome, more press coverage the better!!

What is the lady dressed as? Curious...I don't recognize it.

Which lady do you speak of---the Steampunk Girl would be...*ahem*---Me.

Shoot---i'm *STILL* beefing up my costume. That photo was taken and the thing wasn't even totally finished! It's awesome that I was interviewed, tho. It's even better that My husband's photo was published and we got FREE PRESS for our Photography Company! WOOO!

Shoot---i'm *STILL* beefing up my costume. That photo was taken and the thing wasn't even totally finished! It's awesome that I was interviewed, tho. It's even better that My husband's photo was published and we got FREE PRESS for our Photography Company! WOOO!

I have my own issues with the B Paper, but I think it's awesome that Otakon is getting more coverage. I know local news stations and The Sun always do articles on Otakon. I still have an article from The Sun back from 2001 about Otakon!

Wait - so the one in the pic is the one you're gonna wear to the con this weekend?

If so, I'll definitely keep an eye out:) It looks very nice - would love to get a pic of it:)

That reminds me. I don't have it on my flickr right now, but 2 Otakons ago, I took a pic of Tsubasa cosplayers Friday morn that were posing for WBAL-TV 11 News. Of all the LOCAL stations, they seem to understand this more, even though they're a primary sponsor of the Artscape uptown!

Artscape Used to be awesome--until it got so big that it was impossible to enjoy anymore. I think the next time I attend Artscape, I will be hocking my wares.

The only time I've ever enjoyed Artscape was last year when I saw, and met, Joan Jett.

Iffy question: Is Artscape some kinda art merchant's event? What kinda art does it showcase?

Sorry...work is wearing me down...so apologies if I sound like an idiot.

It's an art festival in general. There are merchants there, but there's also art exhibits, musical acts, ect.

It's an art festival in general. There are merchants there, but there's also art exhibits, musical acts, ect.

One thing that coverage of Otakon should include is a financial factoid. People need to know that weird as the event may be, it generates millions of dollars in revenue for the city's economy.

One thing that coverage of Otakon should include is a financial factoid. People need to know that weird as the event may be, it generates millions of dollars in revenue for the city's economy.

I guess being the same weekend as the country's largest arts festival kind of mutes the reaction to Otakon's financial impact.

As for the b story, the writer is a friend of mine. She did good.

Quoted for the Truth.

Also, taking off on a Friday from your job (also in Baltimore City) is more than justified because you're helping the venue generate money for the local economy.

Quoted for the Truth.

I was on the front page as Mario.

Even after watching/reading the coverage, some of my co-workers still didn't know what the hell it was about. :)

But NOT ONE FREAKIN' WORD about it in the City Paper (the alternative/hip weekly). Not even in the events listings. :P

Someone in PR didn't do their job.

Incorrect. Someone at the City Paper didn't do theirs.

But NOT ONE FREAKIN' WORD about it in the City Paper (the alternative/hip weekly). Not even in the events listings. :)

Someone in PR didn't do their job.