Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alabaster

Jim's Cryptic Clue Thread (2010)

Nine people guessed correctly.

Those who guessed correctly: what gave it away?

Those who didn't: Why did you guess who you guessed?

So let's review the posted clues...

Never fear, there are some clues to help narrow things down a bit! (Or maybe not--the clues are truthful, but may be misleading...)

Remember, we promised something a bit different this year, so keep your mind quite open as you consider these clues:

The clues are:

• The act has multiple members.

• The act has never played a convention before.

• The act is reasonably well known outside anime circles.

• The act has a connection to video games.

• At least one of their well-known songs features a traditional instrument.

Nine people guessed correctly.

Those who guessed correctly: what gave it away?

Those who didn't: Why did you guess who you guessed?

I guess the Yoshida Bros. were the furthest from my mind considering my knowledge of television advertising is limited at best (what do you expect when one has a DVR and chooses instead to fast-forward through the commercials?).

YMO looked like a feasible possibility except for the fact that a Moog synthesizer isn't really considered a "traditional instrument" in the strictest meaning of the phrase...

They have played cultural festivals, that's true -- but never an american "anime con". I consider Japan Expo more like the National Cherry Blossom Festival; it's a regional festival event, rather than a traditional con/trade show sort of thing.

Okay, first musical guest out of the way....see other thread for further musical guest comments.

Now....who do you think my other two guests are?

First person to post in this forum BOTH correct answers wins something from my Magical Prize Bin of Doom. (usually a grab bag of little give-aways, freebies, leftover prizes, etc.)

I'll be announcing the next two guests next Weds night around 9pm ET. :D

Here's my guesses and my reasons for picking them. They're probably wrong.

Barbara Goodson - looked around animenewsnetwork. She voices a main character in FLCL. I hear that's a pretty popular anime. Still haven't watched it.

Troy Baker - He's been at Otakon before and he's the only voice actor I remember because he told a hilarious story about a Gaara cosplayer he was talking to who took his cosplay way too seriously. And he's in Negima, and I love the dub for Negima.

Okay, first musical guest out of the way....see other thread for further musical guest comments.

Now....who do you think my other two guests are?

First person to post in this forum BOTH correct answers wins something from my Magical Prize Bin of Doom. (usually a grab bag of little give-aways, freebies, leftover prizes, etc.)

I'll be announcing the next two guests next Weds night around 9pm ET. :D

I'm going to say

Brittany Karbowski- has never been to Otakon before and voices Black Star in Soul Eater which seems to be very popular and is coming out soon

Vic Mignogna- plays Ed in Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood which is finally being released later this year I believe

I know I said something about this at the onset of the thread, but for the purposes of this guessing game I'm going with Christina Vee and Johnny Young Bosch as the guests. I'm pretty sure Vee hasn't been to the Otkaon, but does have a major role or two. Bosch has been to the Otakon before (The tenth Otakon to be exact, also my very first)...and many should know his resume by now.

Well, I am going to go with Karen Strassman (Which actually is one of two female VAs I can immediately think of that fit the criteria.), since she has never been to an Otakon before. And...Steven Blum, who was a guest in 2007.

C.T.

Okay...here's my guess...

Male guest - Richard Epcar...just because he's that cool :-)

Female guest - For some reason, Karen Strassman stands out as a possibility...

Well, I am going to go with Karen Strassman (Which actually is one of two female VAs I can immediately think of that fit the criteria.), since she has never been to an Otakon before. And...Steven Blum, who was a guest in 2007.

C.T.

im going to say johnny yong bosch for male ... who i was lucky enough to see at tekko last year.

im going to take a stretch here on the female and say veronica taylor since pokemon is pretty HUGELY popular

Maxey Whitehead is my guess for the Female VA. This will be her second convention ever (if DC fandom doesn't scare her away at Katsucon next weekend.) Why her? She is the voice of Al in FMA: Brotherhood.

Vic Mignogna is my guess for Male VA. You can expect a big push from Funimation on FMA: Brotherhood all 2010, so I expect those two to be the guests announced. He is continuing his role as Ed in FMA: Brotherhood.

Within the next few minutes, I'll post the clues for the Guess the Sunday Musical Guest contest. You guys get a sneak peek!

We're back! So....

We're announcing a rather major guest tomorrow just after 3pm (Eastern) ---

There are no special prizes for this guess, just bragging rights.

So I'm going to post some cryptic clues here.

* I have talked about this particular guest before.

* It's a musical guest.

* More than one person is involved in this act.

* There is a very definite, strong connection to a previous guest.

Also....

* There will be a performance involved, but we are NOT a full concert. (Yes, that's why I was being cagey.)

* We've arranged for a truly awesome give-away that we'll announce soon.

Speculate away, my pretties!

X-Japan? :D Hope springs eternal! Performance would be cheaper than a concert given how many times Toshi and Yoshiki just do their vocals and piano together.

^^ Yep. I'm gonna have to agree. :D I said it way back at the beginning of April, and I'm sticking with it. X-Japan FTW!!

I love how you guys pick and choose which statements to hear and which to ignore, to fit your pet theories. :)

They are gonna be in Chicago the following weekend for Lollapalooze, which would make logistics pretty tough, wouldn't you think? It would take some tricky negotiating and a very motivated guest to pull that one off, but I suppose hope springs eternal. Who am I to utterly destroy your drea----

Oh yeah, that's right, I'm an evil bastard. :)

Abingdon Boy School?

I love how you guys pick and choose which statements to hear and which to ignore, to fit your pet theories. :)

They are gonna be in Chicago the following weekend for Lollapalooze, which would make logistics pretty tough, wouldn't you think? It would take some tricky negotiating and a very motivated guest to pull that one off, but I suppose hope springs eternal. Who am I to utterly destroy your drea----

I am think Abingdon Boys Choir, Someone related to Eminence, Origa or Matt Conte (Both have connections to Yoko Kanno). We will see in a half hour whether I am right (Don't bet your lunch money on it).

It is X Japan, but not the members you think. It is Yoshiki and Sugizo. X Japan announce is the link to the ANN release. They are going to be part of the Masquerade. This actually doesn't surprise me. Hopefully, they will do a panel also for those who enjoy X Japan's music.

I was wondering, I won the guess the guest contest for the Yoshida Brothers, but never got contacted. I'm kinda sure I used one email, but I might have used others...

I was wondering, I won the guess the guest contest for the Yoshida Brothers, but never got contacted. I'm kinda sure I used one email, but I might have used others...

I sent an email to the winners -- I will double check and see whether the prizes have arrived yet. Most likely the prizes will be available for pickup at the con itself. We often try to do earlier mail-outs, but unless I offload it to my assistant, it's unlikely to happen pre-con.

So we have a director, a US voice actor, and a seiyu for which I'm waiting on final bio/photo stuff. That's the hold-up -- until I have those items, I can't draft a press release and announce the guest. This is the sort of thing that often happens -- something will be set and then it'll take months for the actual details I need to launch to come together. Working through intermediaries can be so draining sometimes.

We'll be announcing another US voice actor, plus I'll have some details on this year's animation project.

So we have a director, a US voice actor, and a seiyu for which I'm waiting on final bio/photo stuff. That's the hold-up -- until I have those items, I can't draft a press release and announce the guest. This is the sort of thing that often happens -- something will be set and then it'll take months for the actual details I need to launch to come together. Working through intermediaries can be so draining sometimes.

We'll be announcing another US voice actor, plus I'll have some details on this year's animation project.

Are you going to be in the animation somewhere? You can be the guitar!

There won't be any (intentional) staff cameos....

Are you going to be in the animation somewhere? You can be the guitar!

I sent an email to the winners -- I will double check and see whether the prizes have arrived yet. Most likely the prizes will be available for pickup at the con itself. We often try to do earlier mail-outs, but unless I offload it to my assistant, it's unlikely to happen pre-con.