Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poncho

3 prop curiosities.

Question

Ok, so my curiosity involves 3 things from 2 characters (Kaijin no Soki(Onimusha) and Soldier(Team Fortress 2))

Soki's main sword (the curved one in his maind hand)

Soki's back sword (big one on his back)

Soldier's Direct Hit (his new rocket launcher)

For the soki weapons, I plan on using a wooden bokken and a wooden claymore I have for the centers of the main sword and back sword, respectively, and then making the rest of the blade/hilt with aluminum, and rounding it off at the "blade" so as not to have any edge at all...is that ok?

My curiosity for the swords wasn't really assuaged by the FAQ, because it only said no live steel. I'd be using aluminum for the weapons and armor. Maybe foam for the swords and just putting a single layer of aluminum on them for the shine. I just need confirmation of the legality of this.

For the soldier, I want to make a Direct Hit out of pvc pipe and maybe some wood, seeing as how it's an actual part of the launcher in game. No metal, just pvc, wood, and plastic for the lens of the scope on it.

The sooner the better please and thank you.

7 answers to this question

Here are the answers from the heads of Spec Ops:

Soldier: Not an actual gun, no moving parts and no edged steel: OK (just keep under the 50lb limit)

Soki: the hilt should be OK, as long as there is some kind of bonding on the pommel and edges of the hilt. "Live" steel means anything that can take an edge and harm people

Confused what the Member means by coating the whole blade in alu. If (s)he does it with actual metal, that is not allowed, since in that case the entire weapon would be "live steel." However is the Member is using some sort of metallic spray to give a sheen, that should be fine.

The bigger issue is size and weight. Weapons must be under 6'6", and under 50lbs.

In the end, the final decision will still have to be @ SpecOps during Con - if all the rules above are followed, it *SHOULD* be fine, but no guarantee.

In regards to the "coating" I did initially mean wrapping the foam in a single layer of aluminum. However, once I read the SpecOps thought about the metallic spray, I liked that idea better.

My only question now is Soki's armor, I planned on doing a combination of cardboard/(other light material) wrapped in a layer or two of aluminum. I know you said no live steel in weapons, but is it ok in armor?

Before I pass this one on, I want to clarify something: do you mean aluminum foil, or actual sheets of aluminum?

Actual aluminum, one of my friends who knows metalworking said it could be gotten cheap by the roll at home depot...I only assumed he meant actual aluminum and not aluminum foil...

Here are the replies from Rachael and Jon:

As far as the alu sheets on cardboard, as long as there are no sharp edges and/or they are wrapped and protected, I don't see an issue, except for the potential weight.

Again, it'd be pending at-con confirmation, given that this is all sight-unseen.

Rach, any comments? Imho when it comes to armour itself, as long as nothing sharp sticks out, I'm ok.

Pretty much what Jon said. No sharp edges and all that jazz. We still

have the option to say it isn't ok at con if it's not as described.

Thanks for asking!

Supplemental to the above: the reason they reserve the right to address issues at con should be obvious -- but between sci-fi cons, Renfests, and Otakon, I've seen some truly dangerous amateur ironmongery.

My year as chair, there was someone who'd made lovely automail for an Ed Elric costume -- but the edges were WAY to sharp and could easily have snagged on someone's costume or flesh and caused a problem.