Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alabaster

Guest Announcement: X Japan's YOSHIKI & SUGIZO

Ever since he came to visit in 2006, and said lovely things about us on his blog, we've wanted to bring Yoshiki back. How could we not?

We've been working on this since last year -- but between all the stuff X Japan is doing (music videos, US album, Lollapalooza), it's been a LOOOONG way to finalize things. At one point it even looked like we might get more of the members, but I'm just glad we got two of them -- and got them to perform a short set.

Hence many of my comments about "even when a guest really wants to come, it's not always easy".

We'll be posting more details soon, but expect a very friendly Q&A, banter, and a handful of songs performed by some bona fide legends. It'll be intimate and more of a "we're playing for our friends" vibe -- there was simply no way we could afford something like their usual shows.

This will, however, set a new "tough one to beat" bar for Masquerade halftime!

I have a friend who was skipping Otakon this year for Lollapalooza. I guess she still gets to see them up there in Chicago, but still. This is crazy!

So...will those who are performing in the Masquerade get to watch? I mean how's that going to work? Please say you guys have thought of something. If we don't get to sit in the audience, at least will we be able to see from the back or something? I was planning to be in a skit but I really really want to see them and I may even decide to not to perform and go watch instead if you think the participants won't really get to be able to see much.

We are still working out specifics, but we haven't forgotten you guys.

We'll announce the info when it's ready to be announced.

Oh yeah....and we're going to be announcing a pretty awesome giveaway VERY soon.

no offense but does yoshiki and sugizo know they are just doing a half time performance?

I would have loved to go watch them play its amazing but honestly do not feel like wasting time sitting through masquerade to do it.

no offense but does yoshiki and sugizo know they are just doing a half time performance?

I would have loved to go watch them play its amazing but honestly do not feel like wasting time sitting through masquerade to do it.

Do you honestly think, after 7 months of talks, they don't know what they're getting into? Do you think we net a guest like Yoshiki -- TWICE -- by trickery?

Playing during Masquerade was their idea. They asked to do it.

Looking forward to this! <_< Obviously the whole band / a full concert would have been epic, but this is still going to be really unique and awesome. Definately will be taking advantage of this opportunity to experience something the average X-Japan concert-goer couldn't. And I'm kinda liking the fact it's the halftime; was planning to check out at least some of the masquerade anyway, so it cuts down on waiting in line time (two events for the "price" of one wait, yes? lol).

Quick couple of questions; will the Q&A be run like the panel VAMPs had last year where people submitted their questions through the site? Or will it be run as per usual with people just going and asking whatever?

Also, will be be any chance of a signing with them? I won't be the least bit upset if that's a no, since I'm just sort of amazed they'll be there at all. I just more want to know if I should be bringing my photobook or not. ^^ Hah.

This year's Otakon just keeps getting better and better. You guys never fail to bring interesting people from all walks of life and this is no exception. It's cool that they asked to perform at the Masquerade specifically. Maybe YOSHIKI and SUGIZO want to see the cosplayers? What an interesting venue!

Even if I wasn't attending Otakon, I still wouldn't be able to afford the trip to Lollapalooza to see all of the other great bands that are playing as well. (It's a trip I've wanted to make for a few years, but I've never had the cash or a place to stay.) However, I've attended the past seven Otakons and this will be my eighth. Having YOSHIKI and SUGIZO play at the Masquerade not only provides people who are very aware of their musical abilities (like me!) with a unique concert experience, but it will allow those who aren't that familiar with them to enjoy something completely different. Who knows? Maybe some of those people in the second category may come out as fans. I can't wait to see these guys on stage.

This idea is genius!

-sigh- If only they hadn't canceled the world tour for here and are now hitting Chicago (nowhere near us :D). Wish I could make it to the concert but at least I'll be able to see them here :D

I'm so happy! Thanks a lot for making this happen! I know it means a lot of work and planning :D!

See you at Otakon!

I'll admit I used to do Otakon regularly, but after 2006, meeting Yoshiki, getting his signature and even giving him a demo me and a friend of mine put together I figured I was pretty satisfied. I really am not into anime (or rather most new anime) these days so this con became one of the past for me.

I moved on to Sci fi cons, Horror cons, Comic con and the like.

But I always said I wanted to visit Otakon at least a few more times, even if I wasn't into what was 'popular' or whatever I still loved the atmosphere, the people, the cosplay and I have always ALWAYS loved the music.

My brother had been going essentially when I stopped and he told me to come with him on the fly. I said "why not?" "Could be fun." I checked the website to even see if I knew who any of the guests were and, more importantly, to check who the music guest was. Well what a surprise I got when I checked last night eh?

I always said I would come back when Yoshiki does. I friggin love that man. He is a genius. Of course I would love to see X. But the sheer idea of even getting to see him play piano and maybe a drum demonstration or something...well that made it the perfect time to come out of 'Otakon retirement' as it were.

Thank you Otakon. I've been waiting for something like this since 2006.

WE ARE X!!!! XD

This is the best news I've heard all year. XD Thank you for making this possible. Plus it'll give me a reason to check out the masquerade this year.

From reading this I'm glad I'm not the only one kinda of bummed that they'll be doing this during the masquerade (even if it WAS their idea lol). I know it's one of the most popular events and all but not everybody likes it...ah well.

this is amazing! Is the Q&A and the performance both during the masquerade halftime?

Yup. It's going to be a bit of a free-form thing where they talk, do a song, talk some more, maybe show a video, etc.

This is meant to be them hanging out with fans, rather than doing a Big Show -- that's the following week at Lollapalooza. So keeping it fun and loose is a big part of the appeal.

How long they are going to play?

I really like Kanon's show last year but felt a bit cheated at the short set. I mean really, all the way from Japan for a 25 minute show?

I really like Kanon's show last year but felt a bit cheated at the short set. I mean really, all the way from Japan for a 25 minute show?

Kanon Wakeshima was a new enough artist that she basically played every one of her songs that was ready for public consumption. She was more than a little terrified but that gal is talented.

Yoshiki & Sugizo will NOT be doing autographs, due to the strain that autographings would put on their wrists. They can't risk that just one week before their big US full-out debut at a huge venue.

Kanon Wakeshima was a new enough artist that she basically played every one of her songs that was ready for public consumption. She was more than a little terrified but that gal is talented.

Yoshiki & Sugizo will NOT be doing autographs, due to the strain that autographings would put on their wrists. They can't risk that just one week before their big US full-out debut at a huge venue.

They will be on stage for about 45 minutes to an hour, tops.

As I have repeatedly stressed, they are NOT doing a full concert, but rather we expect a pretty loose and casual panel punctuated with a few songs. I'm not sure how many songs they will do during that time, but probably not very many.

As I have repeatedly stressed, they are NOT doing a full concert, but rather we expect a pretty loose and casual panel punctuated with a few songs. I'm not sure how many songs they will do during that time, but probably not very many.

How long is the masquerade usually? I've never been to one, but will it be something like an hour of masquerade, an hour of X-Japan, and then another hour of the masquerade?