Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alabaster

RIP Peter Fernandez

Peter Fernandez, the voice of Speed Racer, has passed away.

Such sad news.

When we invited him to Otakon, I was delighted -- and so was he, because he really felt appreciated by the fans and the industry.

On a personal level, I was able to tell him of how my friends and I would race home in elementary school to watch Speed Racer. And I remember the line for his booth, which he manned himself, happily signing and selling off some memorabilia. He lived long enough to see at least three generations of fans enjoy a show he invested a lot of himself into.

He was a kind, decent, talented man, and the world is a sadder place for his loss.

Such sad news.

When we invited him to Otakon, I was delighted -- and so was he, because he really felt appreciated by the fans and the industry.

On a personal level, I was able to tell him of how my friends and I would race home in elementary school to watch Speed Racer. And I remember the line for his booth, which he manned himself, happily signing and selling off some memorabilia. He lived long enough to see at least three generations of fans enjoy a show he invested a lot of himself into.

He was a kind, decent, talented man, and the world is a sadder place for his loss.

I remember finally getting to meet him at last year's otakon, and he was a wonderful guy. This is a great loss and I hope he's racing on that great track in Heaven.

May you RIP Peter Fernandez

Gave some thoughts about this on my Livejournal and the time I met him at NYCC 2007 (remember the American Anime Awards). Peter Fernandez memory is one of my best moments in American fandom.

Im so sorry and sad to hear this. I was so lucky to meet Peter a few years ago at otakon and he was extremely warm and friendly. One of the tv shows I grew up watching as a youth on cartoon network.

): Wasn't a follower of Speed Racer, but either way, it's really sad news to hear that someone has died, especially when they didn't make it to Otakon 2010... RIP though. ]]:

True story

I read this earlier and before going to work around 6, I'd mentioned the news to my dad in passing. Got home around 11 and my dad was watching his Speed Racer dvds that he hasn't watched in a long while. I suppose the news made him feel nostalgic. He used to watch it when I was kid, too, and while not a huge fan myself, Speed Racer is tied into some of my earliest memories.

It's a sad loss all around

I only got to hang out with him a bit that year, but he was very cool and seemed to really enjoy the response he was getting from the fans.

Such sad news.

Question - will there be an acknowledgement during Otakon? Are there any official plans to commemorate his passing?

Thank you,

Revengel

I got to talk with Mr. Fernandez at Otakon. His panel was really good and he was super nice to all the fans that asked him any questions. He signed my poster and was one of the best guests at Otakon to hold a big conversation with, as he would talk to any fans. I hope his family is OK, and that he is at peace.

Rest in Peace!