Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shifty

[PROP QUESTION] Signs

Question

So I hear the policy on signs is pretty strict and they are only allowed when they are part of your cosplays "look." I plan on making a highway sign for my cosplay as Shizuo Heiwajima (don't worry, its a mini highway sign, so it fits into the shorter than 6'6" rule). Am I allowed to write locations on it?

For example: cropcropsign.png

Can I write "Ikebukuro Station" or "Gokokuji" on there?

If not I can settle for just including the highway indication-arrows and highway numbers.

8 answers to this question

I'm not staff, but according to their rules that would be fine. Signs are a part of Shizuos costumes. As long as it also abides by the prop regulations I'm sure you would be fine.

The 'sign' rule it to prohibit solicitation (ie free hugs, free candy etc) and keep people from putting vulgar things on signs that might offend people.

^_^

Hello, friendly local SpecOps Co-Head here, chiming in on Policy...

Shift, do you mean the character from "Durarara!!!!" ? If that's the case, any sign at all, even a highway sign without text on it, does not fall within the Otakon Signs Policy. (POLICY LINK HERE)

I read the Wikipedia entry (LINK!) on Mr. Heiwajima and nothing on his description states that he requires or has a sign as a part of his character (see below)

Shizuo Heiwajima (平和島 静雄 Heiwajima Shizuo?)

Voiced by: Daisuke Ono[3]

A man who is always seen to wear sunglasses and a bartender's suit. Although quiet and nondescript while not angered, he has a very short fuse and fights with incredible strength, though he claims he hates violence. Despite his simple and unrefined fighting skills, he is considered the strongest fighter in the series. In the novels his power is described as the naturally unlimited form of human strength and likened to "adrenaline power" that can give people superhuman strength in times of emergency. In addition, Shizuo is capable of often superhuman parkour moves, a skill he obtained naturally from years of hunting down Izaya Orihara. He is also a member of Dollars.

He works as a bodyguard for a debt collector in Ikebukuro and carries intense animosity towards Izaya. He has a younger brother, Kasuka, who is a top idol under the showbiz name of Yuuhei Hanejima. He is also a long-time acquaintance of Celty. Although he and Izaya Orihara are on bad terms, Shizuo is actually well-acquainted with Izaya's younger sisters, Mairu and Kururi.

His first and last name translates literally into "serene man" and "peaceful island" respectively

So, to answer your question: *YES* you can write the locations on it.

The bad news: you *CAN NOT* bring the actual sign into Otakon (it's a sign).

If you have any further questions, please email me and my co-head at: special-operations@otakorp.org

Cheerio!

-JK

/ :ph34r:

^_^

Hello, friendly local SpecOps Co-Head here, chiming in on Policy...

Shift, do you mean the character from "Durarara!!!!" ? If that's the case, any sign at all, even a highway sign without text on it, does not fall within the Otakon Signs Policy. (POLICY LINK HERE)

I read the Wikipedia entry (LINK!!) on Mr. Heiwajima and nothing on his description states that he requires or has a sign as a part of his character (see below)

Shizuo Heiwajima (平和島 静雄 Heiwajima Shizuo?)

Voiced by: Daisuke Ono[3]

A man who is always seen to wear sunglasses and a bartender's suit. Although quiet and nondescript while not angered, he has a very short fuse and fights with incredible strength, though he claims he hates violence. Despite his simple and unrefined fighting skills, he is considered the strongest fighter in the series. In the novels his power is described as the naturally unlimited form of human strength and likened to "adrenaline power" that can give people superhuman strength in times of emergency. In addition, Shizuo is capable of often superhuman parkour moves, a skill he obtained naturally from years of hunting down Izaya Orihara. He is also a member of Dollars.

He works as a bodyguard for a debt collector in Ikebukuro and carries intense animosity towards Izaya. He has a younger brother, Kasuka, who is a top idol under the showbiz name of Yuuhei Hanejima. He is also a long-time acquaintance of Celty. Although he and Izaya Orihara are on bad terms, Shizuo is actually well-acquainted with Izaya's younger sisters, Mairu and Kururi.

His first and last name translates literally into "serene man" and "peaceful island" respectively

So, to answer your question: *YES* you can write the locations on it.

The bad news: you *CAN NOT* bring the actual sign into Otakon (it's a sign).

If you have any further questions, please email me and my co-head at: special-operations@otakorp.org

Cheerio!

-JK

/ :ph34r:

If he uses signs as a prop often, find some screenshots and show those to spec ops. If they don't know the character they can't just take your word for it, heh.

If he uses signs as a prop often, find some screenshots and show those to spec ops. If they don't know the character they can't just take your word for it, heh.

Right,

If you believe that the sign should count as part of the character's standard look, bring "proof" as suggested above to Spec Ops. We aren't familiar with every character out there, so your help in the matter is appreciated.

Right,

If you believe that the sign should count as part of the character's standard look, bring "proof" as suggested above to Spec Ops. We aren't familiar with every character out there, so your help in the matter is appreciated.

Though we do try to be familiar with everyone :)

youjik33 raises a great point: as stated before, if you have screenshots, manga, etc that *clearly* demonstrates the sign is shizuo's main weapon, you should be fine. Just come over to SpecOps HQ on Friday ASAP and we'll put a sticker and autograph on your badge to prove it was ok'ed; that'll keep other Staff from hauling you back to HQ B)

See you in a few days!!!

-JK

Here's some proof. I'd be happy to provide more if needed: http://img843.imageshack.us/g/crunchierdurarara24endh.png/ NOTE: In the album, that's just a random Shizuo cosplay I found to show the fact that signs are usually a prop used with his costume. You can find tons more, for example http://www.cosplay.com/costume/311751/ and http://www.cosplay.com/costume/292019/

I will be attending Otakon only on Saturday and it will be my first time, so hopefully it wont be too hard to find the SpecOps and get a sticker etc.

Also, I just checked the wiki and it seems you missed part of the post:

Despite his simple and unrefined fighting skills, namely his use of road signs, trash cans, and vending machines as weapons, he is considered the strongest fighter in the series

Wow. I may have to start watching Durarara!!

Well, given the evidence you should be fine... however like I said you really do have to come into SpecOps for the OK.

I'm looking forward to seeing the outfit! If at all possible, could you please be sure to bring a manga or printed images of the character just in case it's my co-head on duty when you come in.

See you in 6 days!

-JK