Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

evaunit01berserk

Katsucon underage incident incident

Realistically, this JUST came to light, and I'm sure our leadership will be discussing it, but I wouldn't expect anything to be announced right away.

Having said that: there is only so much that can be done to prevent this sort of thing -- nothing actually happened at the event other than two people meeting, and there wasn't much that could be done to prevent things that happened after the con. On that level, this is no different than if they'd met at the mall or an amusement park.

I'm not even sure there is a functional way to check the membership database against the sex offender registry, and I'm not sure that it would be appropriate or legal for us to do that without a subpoena. It's typically not legal for law enforcement to go digging randomly around in private membership lists.

But these are all things our organization will look into. There's a lot we already do behind the scenes to make sure the con is as safe as possible, and if there's a way that we can minimize the risk, I'm sure we'll look into it.

At MAGFest they made everyone wear colored wristbands for what age group they were in (18+, teenager, etc). Maybe something like that would help since if you are an underaged girl, you would see that 18+ wristband and know to avoid that person.

At MAGFest they made everyone wear colored wristbands for what age group they were in (18+, teenager, etc). Maybe something like that would help since if you are an underaged girl, you would see that 18+ wristband and know to avoid that person.

Based on what is said about the perpetrator, I doubt that would have deterred him.

I am against the colored wristbands myself, since that would just be a beacon to the predators and easily let them know who to single out. (Many sexual predators target minors simply because they aren't mature or experienced enough to recognize predatory behavior when they see it.)

Also note that the crime happened outside of the convention and it didn't come to light that they met at the convention until 18 months later. At the end of the day, there is an upper limit to how much a convention can do to keep the pedos out. The most effective method is for parents to teach their children to be assertive and to come to them if someone is making them uncomfortable.

Well im 14 , and im going to otakon with a friend who is about a year younger than me. I know what to look out for and stuffnlike that. My parents are just dropping me off and returning home since we live in Baltimore.

Well im 14 , and im going to otakon with a friend who is about a year younger than me. I know what to look out for and stuffnlike that. My parents are just dropping me off and returning home since we live in Baltimore.

How about an extra sheet of paper in the program packet noting the incident? More information is always helpful. Just put a big font ATTENTION at the top of the page, and stick it in the program book with it showing out of the top. Just a suggestion.

How about an extra sheet of paper in the program packet noting the incident? More information is always helpful. Just put a big font ATTENTION at the top of the page, and stick it in the program book with it showing out of the top. Just a suggestion.

I direct your attention to the FAQ, and the Newbies Guide, both of which address the relevant common sense safety issues pretty well. Newbie Guide is generally in the program book as well.

We take plenty of steps to make the con safe, and to advise our attendees about the area; we cannot guarantee that they will be safe 6-18 months later, and neither can Katsucon.

(staff hat pretty much off for this part)

It's a horrible situation, but NOT the responsibility of Katsucon, or any con, to prevent. It isn't within our ability to do that, and NOTHING happened at the con that would have been within their control.

The fact that the creep and the minor met at an anime convention is IRRELEVANT. They could have just as easily met online, at the mall, or at an amusement park. Katsucon had NOTHING to do with what happened later, and while I'm sure they'll face some bad press over it, I personally believe they're overreacting, in a way that will ultimately backfire on them. It simply isn't their fault, and their proposal to run every attendee through a background check strikes me as fraught with all sorts of issues, starting with "what right do they have to do that?", and ending with the obvious "pervs will simply do onsite registration and give a fake name". Nobody wants pervs at their con, but if they're caught in the act that's one thing, because we can do something about it. Until they do, there's little we can or should do. (Unless of course law enforcement shows up with a subpoena looking for a specific person.)

This was a kid in high school -- a late teen. Parents who don't think their kids have common sense about strangers or the ability to tell whom to trust should not allow their kids to go out without a chaperone. By age 17, though, there's not much parents can do to teach common sense. And even if she were of legal age, that doesn't excuse the creep who assaulted her.

I agree with what Jim said, there's pretty much no reason for an occurrence like this to give cons a bad name because it could have just as easily happened somewhere else. Going to extreme measures to prevent something like this from happening would just raise unwanted awareness about it; people should be aware of this thing on their own. It's pretty much common sense.

I very much agree with that. You don't have to pull to attention exactly what happened between the guy and the girl at Katsucon but just put something in the program that reiterates how to be safe, to not tell anyone you don't know well where you're staying, not to share a taxi with people you just met, not to leave the convention area unless it's with someone you CAME with, always travel in groups, don't give out personal information like address to people you just met at the con. I think just a little something stating to remember to be safe would be wonderful.

I read and open the things they hand out...Mainly because on friday I'm practicably obsessed with flipping through the program and organizing everything XD Um, but yeah. The incident is irrelevant in that the act itself and the convention are not related. And a convention is not a babysitter, like what RTexker said. But even a small warning/reminder would be appropriate, I think. It seems that people sometimes let themselves go a little at cons, and maybe a bit too much...So hopefully a gentle reminder will at least keep that common sense flowing. If that makes any sense...^^;

There are many creeps at cons. Each year my friends have to deal with Luigi at the raves who creeps up on us throughout the nights. I agree with everyone that this could have happened anywhere but at conventions people should be careful who they hang around, especially if it's someone new. There's nothing wrong with chatting and meeting new people (it's why I go to cons) but there are some out there just looking for a weekend fling that tend to ruin the experience for the rest of us.