Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ryouko

Panels Feedback 2011 - MEGA THREAD

I actually found most of the time there were panels going on that interested me, which is indeed a good thing. However, this means I have to miss a whole bunch of panels due to the need to get in line for certain ones well beforehand, meaning I miss lesser panels for the bigger ones.

My group managed to go to almost every panel we wanted, and only missed ones that were full (we got to the kpop and jpop dances 10 minutes before- wishful thinking to get in, haha). For the rest of the panels, we got there about a half hour early and got in fine.

The only panel I didn't enjoy (we left early, and I feel really guilty about that- but we had to get down to the Dealers' Room to take our pic with IBI and MINT anyway) was Cosplay on a Shoestring. It's a very promising concept, but it seemed to me that the panelists (2 girls and their mother) had never done a panel before, and the one girl basically spent the whole time talking about cosplays she'd made and what went wrong with them? I think with practice and more planning, they could have a decent panel, though. :)

The only thing I was really sad about was that there was only one parapara panel. Which I didn't make it to on account of the Haruhi premier. It was my choice to skip it, but I wish there had been a few more of them. :huh:

I rather liked the scheduling this year, because sure many panels were early at 9 and such, it also made less of a conflict on Saturday night like there was last year.

The variety of panels also interested me as well. I usually don't go to panels but I went to six this year, and the only one that slightly disappointed me was the How to Rock the Rave panel, because the para para was just a regular choreographed dance instead of para para, but at this point I'm kinda giving up on expecting differently.

I got to go to a lot of good panels this year. The Durarara!! panel was one of them. A really well-done panel was Japanese and Korean Dramas, the panelists had a detailed hand-out with recommendations, and clips for pretty much every genre. Corset Design didn't go so well, for lack of materials mostly; I think it would have been better as a panel with videos as a step-by-step guide.

The panels I wanted to tended to overlap, but it ended up being a good thing because I could switch up my schedule on the fly to make room for dining out for dinner and stuff.

What kinda bothered me, which is pretty typical most years, is how much the 18+ content dominated late-night this year. It really seemed like you could either go to an 18+ video/panel (all of which seemed to be along the same line, to me), Fan Parodies (which I did Friday night and was honestly pretty bored past AMV Salad), or go back to my hotel. Considering my Otakon experience is hanging out with my father (a 7-year-long tradition for us now, basically I just drag him around to everything I want to see), those 18+ panels aren't the most comfortable situation most of the time. Also, the rooms are usually absolutely packed and impossible to get into without getting in line an hour early.

Really, I'm just sad I felt like I had nothing to do by 11:30-midnight Friday and Saturday for the first time.

I went to more panels this year than I normally go to (I typically spend most of my time in the AA, Dealer's Room, Video Game Room, or wandering the halls admiring cosplays), and most of them were actually pretty good, I felt. The Crossplaying for Girls panel was nothing short of spectacular, extremely informative and very funny with very knowledgeable and friendly panelists, and the No-Sew cosplay was also a pretty excellent panel. I was fond of Ladies' Choice hentai, too, but I admit that it wasn't quite what I was expecting it to be... It just seemed to be a lot of random/slightly unconventional/unintentionally hilarious hentai clips strung together with some awkward but hilarious audience participation. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting.

The only panel I was very much disappointed in was the Myths and Legends in anime one. Granted, they admitted that much of their presentation had to be cut out because of time constraints, but the material they chose to cover was rather lackluster. Covering Japanese mythical beasts in extremely popular anime... I didn't learn a single thing, and that disappointed me. I mean really, pointing out Japanese mythology in series like Inuyasha and Yu Yu Hakusho, which are based almost entirely on ancient Japanese mythology to begin with? Even aside from that, their presentation technique left a lot to be desired; they basically read flatly straight off their Powerpoint while the crowd screamed needlessly every time a popular character came onscreen. Just... I was expecting a lot more out of that panel, as it was one of the few that I unconditionally refused to miss, and I feel like it was a huge waste of my time.

Otherwise, though, I was really satisfied with the panels, and I know that my friend, a first-time congoer, was happy with the ones she attended, as well.

I didn't go last year, but did you attend the Bandai After Dark panel? Not only did they give out some nice swag, but it was hilarious, fun, and they had a bunch of exciting announcements and stuff. Maybe it's just because I have little to compare it to, but that panel (and the Sunrise Industry Panel before it) was awesome, imho.

I didn't get to attend as many panels as I would have liked but most were good. Voice actors were great. Cosplay related was good too. Only one anime panel that was glaringly bad.

I have to say the Capcom Fanpanel was pretty sad, they thought it would be okay to list Monster Hunter on the "other Capcom games" list because they didn't want to spend too much time talking about it. It made a LOT of people upset.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like a lot of the good panels were scheduled too early or during other big events. I mean, the Touhou one even got canceled this year because the panelists couldn't make it that early. I think last year there were a lot more acafan panels or ones that looked more in depth at their subject matter. There were only two or three I saw this year covering that, and the Akira panel was probably the best one I went to. Did anyone else feel like last years panels were a little bit better?

I have to say the Capcom Fanpanel was pretty sad, they thought it would be okay to list Monster Hunter on the "other Capcom games" list because they didn't want to spend too much time talking about it. It made a LOT of people upset.

I didn't get a chance to go to the Bandai panel because I didn't have time to wait an hour to get into it. I did go to VA After Dark and it was okay. Mind you, it was halfway over by the time I got in there because the line was so long (I got there an hour and a half early to put it in perspective). I've been to Evangelion WTF at Tekkoshocon, and IMO their panel last year was better. I didn't see the Madoka one on the pamphlet so I missed that. Anime Myths (if it was run by the same panelist) was a terrific panel last year and I would have liked to see it again, without it's time constraints. The Touhou panel certainly is popular for sure, and I would have liked to see No Sew Cosplay but, again, I got there about a half hour early and the queue was so big I knew I wouldn't be able to get into the room (it was actually Touhou's panel room last year).

Hello! This is Jenni, the head panelist for Affording Lolita. If you attended my panel I would love to hear what you thought of it, positive or negative. I host quite a few lolita panels throughout the year at different cons, so please let me know what you think could be done to improve this panel as well! Any parts you think should be expanded on or any that were too drawn out. I know I forgot to mention a few things too!

And thank you to anyone who showed up to my panel, even those who left early! Sorry it was placed in such a late timeslot! I know most of you must have been tired after such a long day which makes me even more grateful you attended to begin with! :)

There were empty seats in No Sew Cosplay. The rooms tend to seat more than they seem to. Too bad you missed it, it was pretty good -- they went over some stuff I already knew about but also some I didn't. I'm really looking forward to trying to make a shield for my costume for Youmacon :)

And so, our last regular edition of Anime Press Your Luck has come and gone. I say regular because of the new game show medley format we'll be starting in the fall. Worry not, PYL will always be part of that medley, so it's never totally going away. We've just got more shows we want to present with it.

I just have to say, this was the first full house we've had for APYL in almost 2 years. Perfect timeslot, phenomally creative cosplay Whammies in the front row (my sister-in-law picked up the Harry Potter Whammy right away when she saw the video tonight), and who ever knew that I'd see a winning contestant almost brought to tears over winning. It was quite an endearing moment, I've gotta say.

All in all, we came away feeling this was our best show ever, and the gang at SWE want to thank everyone who's ever come to our show over the last 3 years at Otakon, as well as everyone who's ever been a part of putting it all together, from Disorganization XIII in the beginning to Travis Schario now. The show has come a long way, and I will never forget where I was as an otaku when I started this versus where I am now.

But now I want to really hear from you guys out there. If you've been to any of our Otakon shows during these 3 years (or even if you've seen us in NY or NJ), and especially if you were ever a contestant (that really means you, Liz!), tell me what you think. How did we do, how far do you think we've come, and what more do you think we can do with PYL (while we prepare Card Sharks and other shows for the fall)?

Hope to hear from a lot of you. And again, our deepest thanks.

When I was in line for Hiroaki Yura's autograph, the line to get in only had 8 people in it, including me. I checked the sheets for the times and realized that everyone was either at the Roland Kelts autograph or queuing up for whatever Hetalia panel was going on. I felt really bad for Hiroaki Yura because no one was there. Is there any way to prevent this kind of thing from happening in the future?

(If there's any way of letting him know that we're really happy he came, it'd be awesome.)

I was bummed to see that there was no Japanese pro wrestling panel this year. I always look forward to that. :)

...I really loved the game and this was my first time going. I'm... already a little upset that you're not doing it again.

What exactly is this "medley" you have in mind? And why do you think you should do one when there are already several seperate game shows at the con? Just wondering about the reasoning behind that.

I really liked the way you got contestants, btw. The raffle method seemed like pretty much the most fair way to do it, and considering a lot of the game is luck anyway it made sense = )

I went to some good and bad panels.

I went to the anime 101 panel since I had nothing better to do for a bit and was better than waiting in line. It was too preachy.

The Eva WTF panel was ok but I liked last years better since it went into the acutal material as opposed to stuff found on the net.

The Rumiko Takahashi panel was something that I appreciated since she deserves praise (to con organizers: Bring her here!) but some of their information on Ranma 1/2 was off... :)

Thanks for giving us the opportunity for feedback.

1st I was glad I got in, there were a lot of people who got turned away. 2nd, I think you all did a great job, I didn't realize until you wrote that it was your first panel. I think you could definitely do this again next year in a bigger room and with some tweaks.

I think the way you did it worked. Showing the clip, laying out what about the clip your were going to explore, exploring it and reaching your conclusion.

I think the best one was the first one. It was a hysterical clip, I followed how you reached your conclusion - which is saying a lot for a non-physics person. I would add one thing to all of them but that one in particular: have one slide that has the conclusion BUSTED - in that case I think you would have gotten a huge laugh if you put the words BUSTED right over her bust [if you did that, I'm sorry, I was probably laughing so hard I forgot]. It was at that point I said to myself: I would have LOVED physics if it were taught like this.

That said, after the first one, it started getting hard to follow. It started to get to tech-heavy and especially when you and certain audience members were going on and on one subject. Other audience members were calling out for you to move on, and you still took one more question. I left maybe 15 min. b4 the end.

I'd like offer the following suggestions:

Limit your myths - maybe to 6.

Run all of them through and do Q&A after they're all done. Since you have your material on slides you can always refer back to them if needed.

The tv show Mythbusters are often surprised at what is plausible and confirmed; mix them up so that they won't all reach the same conclusion of busted, finding out the conclusion is the suspense that keeps your audience GLUED.

Have the slide at the end of each conclusion that just reads BUSTED, PLAUSIBLE or CONFIRMED.

Limit *discussions* of theories. Theories haven't been proved which is why they're still theories. It you state that according to x theory, abd exists, fine, that's the rule you're basing it on and let no one else stray into debate. This is ANIME PHYSICS after all.

My daughter told me that after I left you gave out pocky to people who could answer questions about gravity. The teacher in me suggests that you ask questions linking back to your presentation (as in what did we learn today folks?). So questions like: name 2 steps we used to bust myth 1, or what clip did we use for myth 3 are quick answers that will give you that instant gratification of a job well done.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know - but in the meantime overall, JOB WELL DONE.

When I was in line for Hiroaki Yura's autograph, the line to get in only had 8 people in it, including me. I checked the sheets for the times and realized that everyone was either at the Roland Kelts autograph or queuing up for whatever Hetalia panel was going on. I felt really bad for Hiroaki Yura because no one was there. Is there any way to prevent this kind of thing from happening in the future?

(If there's any way of letting him know that we're really happy he came, it'd be awesome.)

For the autograph sessions, how about using video monitors inside/outside the rooms to display a montage of their projects? For fans that are unfamiliar with the guests, it would be something to catch their eye and introduce them to something new, or make that connection "hey, I didn't realize so-and-so did that".

I hope that the panelist will take what I'm about to write in the spirit of helpfulness which I intend, but I felt your panel did not deliver on what was described in the program.

I believe that using 'Full Metal Alchemist' was a ploy to draw people in. Of course alchemy was discussed but once in I don't remember hearing anything about the anime once. Instead I heard about how alchemist *worked* in dungeons (funny, every source I've read refers to a dungeon as a dark cell or prison; not a place where people would WORK). There was also a HUGE emphasis on one of the panelist's current activities as an herbalist and masseuse and how that makes her an alchemist. Her definition of an alchemist was literally all over the map and very broad. According to her cooks are alchemist, which means my spouse is a GREAT alchemist and for that matter anybody who creates anything - even a mess - is an alchemist because one thing changes into another. No wonder as it says in the description 'Hey, who knows... you may end up with your State Alchemist License'. Should that statement alone have given me a clue as to what I was in for?

Also, if everyone is an alchemist then there's nothing special about it, is there. Certainly nothing special enough to devote a panel to.

I was not the only one who left halfway through.

I don't like to criticize and run. If I were to make one suggestion it would be to relate alchemy to the show Full Metal Alchemist, perhaps by starting off with the principal tenant of give and take and how that became so integral to the practice, showing clips from the show and theorizing how a real alchemist would have done that or how an eastern vs western alchemist might have done it, describing the ways ancient alchemist tried to turn base into noble metals and most of all explaining how the methods use in alchemy lead to methods used in today's chemistry.

I know doing your first one is hard, good luck to you as you repeat or refine your panel.

I hope that the panelist will take what I'm about to write in the spirit of helpfulness which I intend, but I felt your panel did not deliver on what was described in the program.

I believe that using 'Full Metal Alchemist' was a ploy to draw people in. Of course alchemy was discussed but once in I don't remember hearing anything about the anime once. Instead I heard about how alchemist *worked* in dungeons (funny, every source I've read refers to a dungeon as a dark cell or prison; not a place where people would WORK). There was also a HUGE emphasis on one of the panelist's current activities as an herbalist and masseuse and how that makes her an alchemist. Her definition of an alchemist was literally all over the map and very broad. According to her cooks are alchemist, which means my spouse is a GREAT alchemist and for that matter anybody who creates anything - even a mess - is an alchemist because one thing changes into another. No wonder as it says in the description 'Hey, who knows... you may end up with your State Alchemist License'. Should that statement alone have given me a clue as to what I was in for?

Also, if everyone is an alchemist then there's nothing special about it, is there. Certainly nothing special enough to devote a panel to.

I was not the only one who left halfway through.

I don't like to criticize and run. If I were to make one suggestion it would be to relate alchemy to the show Full Metal Alchemist, perhaps by starting off with the principal tenant of give and take and how that became so integral to the practice, showing clips from the show and theorizing how a real alchemist would have done that or how an eastern vs western alchemist might have done it, describing the ways ancient alchemist tried to turn base into noble metals and most of all explaining how the methods use in alchemy lead to methods used in today's chemistry.

I know doing your first one is hard, good luck to you as you repeat or refine your panel.

I've wanted for a while to expand and do more than just one game show. However, I've never felt totally comfortable about the idea of submitting multiple panels. They take away from some potentially deserving people, and I'll personally feel bad if a show I really wanted to do gets rejected when others get in. (PYL of course, but there's others high on the list.) So, that's where the medley idea comes in.

The trick to the medley is that we would do a different game show each half hour of the panel. We ultimately want to do a 90-minute show so we can present three different games, but if Otakon can only give us 60, then it'll just be a pair, I guess. And I'm not gonna step on anyone's toes and do a show that someone else at Otakon is already doing, like Family Feud or Name That Tune. We're digging around the box for some interesting stuff. But no matter what, PYL is our flagship, and it'll always be present in my show. As it is my all-time favorite show, I wouldn't have it any other way.

But we'll talk about that more later on. Right now, PYL is what's on the table, so bring the comments forth about PYL and don't be shy.

Hello folks, your friendly neighborhood Panels Dept here. Please post ALL panels feedback from 2011 in this mega thread. I will be combining this thread with others I have seen and will combine any future threads into this one as well.

Whoa, all the posts got... mish-mashed! :/

Hey folks,

I ran the following panels:

Remembering Satoshi Kon (1963 - 2010)

Anime 101

Anime's Craziest Deaths

As all of these appeared to more or less fill up the rooms and then some, it is my hope that perhaps some of those in attendance are checking this corner of the Internet around now. With the exception of Anime 101, these panels aren't exactly designed to allow for Q&A or discussion, so if you have any comments or suggestions I'd like to hear them.

Oh, and judging from the shows of hands, nearly everyone at Anime's Craziest Deaths had never seen or heard of a substantial amount of the titles shown. With that in mind, here is a list of everything that was shown at Anime's Craziest Deaths, along with a few links for additional information.

My Amazon links aren't showing up on the page, so here are links to the books I recommended during Anime 101:

The Rough Guide to Anime

The Anime Encyclopedia

Manga: The Complete Guide

Watching Anime, Reading Manga: 25 Years of Essays and Reviews

Manga! Manga! The World of Japanese Comics

Anime Essentials: Everything a Fan Needs to Know

I don't really have feedback on specific panels, but rather a request for more panels like BrentalFloss or Abridged Panels. We need more internet sensation panels. They get great turn outs and are always fun to attend.

I was very pleased with BrentalFloss showing up. The abridged panel was nice, but I was sort of hoping for more series specific panel like last year with Yugioh Abridged. I know these can't be controlled by Otakon 100%, but I'd suggest tossing some more invitations out there. Maybe a DBZ abridged series panel next year?

This. When I went to the Angel Scandys signing, the room was empty. I asked if Mr. Ishigoro was here, but he was in another panel. However, I did decide to get autographs from the seiyuu, thanking them in Japanese on my way out. When I looked to my left, I saw the Hetalia VA line was full, then I thought to myself...

It sucks that some people with great talents are very underappreciated. D=

As a panelist, I want to commend the staff on a great job this year. We ran two panels: Best Manga You Never Read -TokyoPop Edition- and Investigating Detective Anime. Both times the staffers at the front were helpful with the crowds (coming to a full to capacity panel 4 on Friday morning at 9AM is pretty overwhelming). The tech guys were helpful and we had no glitches, having dedicated sound/tech for the entire panel was wonderful. I don't know if the panel ops room was in a new place this year, but I liked its central location. It was a pleasure being part of the programing this year.

As for panels I attended, everything was well run and started on time. Great job on the Satoshi Kon panel, Anime and Manga Studies panel, Bandai After Dark industry panel, Sunrise industry panel, Vertical industry panel, and the Japanese Directors and Producers panel.

-Narutaki

I did two panels this year--

Underrated Mecha Anime of R1: This one's actually my friend Doug's (of Anime-Cons.com's podcast) baby, but he was good enough to ask me to run it with him. We had fun introducing people to stuff like Dai-Guard and King Gainer, and had a pretty full room, but were bummin' a little because the mecha panel was scheduled at the same time as Gundam Unicorn in the HD theater, the Sunrise industry panel, and the Gundam fan panel. I can understand running up against one similar program item, but three? Still, we had a good turnout and a lot of fun. Doug loves running a variety of mecha panels, so if you liked it or have any other feedback, speak up!

Dubs that Time Forgot: Fourth consecutive year at Otakon, 100% all-new, all-different program, and a packed meeting room full of laughter, surprise, and confusion. I showed clips from the following anime:

• Korochan the Little Bear (1958)

• Starvengers (Getter Robo G - 1975)

• Vicky the Viking (1977)

• The Jungle Book (1987)

• The Ramayana (1992)

• Dr. Slump (1985)

• Gurren Lagann (2008)

The well is nearly bottomless - as long as panel programming will have me, I'll be back next year with a totally new slate of Dubs that Time Forgot. In the meantime, taping my panel went flawlessly, so expect a video recap on Animenewsnetwork.com in a few weeks.

I'd also like to give due praise to the panels department. Nice, diverse schedule, helpful people in panel ops, and the panel lounge was a pretty good affair! I liked having quiet space to rehearse and relax, and the snacks were a nice touch. Would like more variety next time - maybe some cold drinks as well as the popcorn? But it was cool. The only thing I wasn't wild about was the separate line for panel presenters. This was very well-intentioned, but the line moved so much more slowly than the general admission line! I hope it moves faster next year. Finally, the A/V staff were pros, I had no issues at all with them.

Hi!

Well, I have two things to say. One, the Touhou panel scheduling snafu was pretty bad. Having it on Friday is one thing, but first thing in the morning makes it really hard to deal with since we're a pretty cosplay-heavy group. I'm glad it managed to get rescheduled, but the panel room it was moved to (same as last year) was way way too small for it. On the other hand, Kilgamayan and Co. put on a real nice panel this year, it seemed better organized and scripted than last year. I'll also agree that having it 2-hours would help, since it has to cover a LOT outside of just the videogames (they had that format for their panel at Anime Boston this year, worked pretty well).

Two, the Underrated Mecha Anime panel was great too. A nice intro to some shows I was not familiar with.

I think the panels need to be staggered in subject a little better, personally. That and make sure those with lots of potential information are given the time (and space) that they need. I know Otakon's stretching their limits for potential convention space and using it efficiently, but the scheduling really was problematic this year. Hopefully Baltimore goes through with their 1st Mariner Arena replacement plans as soon as possible.

To Mike Toole:

I've been to all 4 years of Dubs that Time Forgot; I love all of them.

But I do think that this year's was weaker than the last couple of years. Granted, much of that is just the difference in material used, and that last year's had a noticably higher amount of hilarious violence, along with that American ninja movie you used as pre-panel filler. If I had one complaint about this year, it would be the lack of a memorable closing one-liner. For example, two years ago there was Zorro's "Before I go, I must thank the dog." And last year was the Robin Hood antagonist's 'ROBIIIIINNNNNNN!'.

I do greatly appreciate that you practically never recycle material, and I continue to look forward to more iterations of this panel :P

I went to a few panels, and I had a lot of fun at most of them. The No-Sew cosplay was really good. I thought it was really informative, I learned a lot of new information. It was pretty much what I was hoping for from the panel.

The Anime Press Your Luck was amazing. It felt like you were in the audience of a televised Game Show. It was a lot of fun, and the game itself looked completely fair to anyone that was able to participate, not just people who have a massive mind for trivia. And the use of raffle tickets to get the audience was great, and probably the fairest method I've seen used.

I was not very happy with the Name That Tune. The person running the panel was rude to people, and essentially made up his own rules as he went. There's a fine line between playful teasing and just being mean, and I think he went past that line. The part that really did it for me though was when there was a discrepancy between who of two people had had their hand up first to guess a song, so he asked the audience to cheer for who they thought was first. Then when the cheering had been done, he picked the person with the least amount of noise, because he "doesn't like noise". That was a jerky, unprofessional thing to do in the first place, but I thought it was even worse when they actually had a prize that was going to be given out to audience members. I like Name That Tune a lot, but that was enough to make me walk out. I go to Youmacon, and this panelist ALWAYS runs the Name That Tune at Youmacon, so I was very disappointed to see him running it at another con. And since Youmacon and Otakon are my two cons of the year, I certainly hope that he does not get to continue running it at Otakon.

All in all I had a lot of fun, and with the exception of that one panel, I was happy with how the panels went. It was a good year, and I look forward to Otakon again next year.

Feedback for the Para-Para 101 with Tama Chan panel.

I think you need to use technology more, I saw a projector screen, but nothing on there.

For example, you can get a guy familiar with audio editing to slow down, clip, and break down the music.

Also, a "move list" would be very beneficial if you projected it.

Not everyone remembers the exact sequence of what goes after what. So perhaps a powerpoint that has arrows going down to which move is going on right now.

Example:

Part 1: "Arm Sweeps"

Right hand raised sweep left to right

Left hand raised sweep right to left

Part 2: "Arm Crosses"

cross both hands

spread both hands

etc etc.

Also a mirrored video projected would also be awesome.

Heck, I'd even volunteer to help you guys next time. I'd break down the song into the sections that you go over, then I can play the clips back as needed however fast people wanted.

Hey there folks, just wanted to know from those who got up early enough Sunday morning to catch Awesomely Bad J-Music Videos thought of this years event? Enjoy the new videos we showed? See something you always loved? Wished that we had time to show more stuff? It was definitely a weird time slot for us this year, but we're glad all of those who attended had a good time! We'll have the video list posted up on the forums soon as well! :D

General observation. If you're going to have video as part of your panel and you're going to turn off some of the lights in the room (which I think you should), make sure that the lights that are left on are not directly above the screen(s), flooding the screen(s) with light. I'm no electrician, but if you'd given me a few pieces of cardboard and a roll duct tape, I could have improved the presentation quality of the videos 100% at some of the panels I attended.

I ran The Slightly Perverted Genius of Go Nagai this year it was my first time running this panel and the first time I have run a panel on just one creator.

The titles that we went over were:

Harenchi Gakuen/Shameless School

Mao Dante

Devilman

Mazinger (Great Mazinger, Mazinger-Z, and Mazinkaiser)

Cutey Honey

Enma-kun

Violence Jack

Getter Robo

Kekko Kamen

Kotetsu Jeeg

UFO Robo Grendizer

Here is a list of Go Nagai titles in English.

I just want to thank everyone that came, 10am on Sunday is kind of murderous so I really appreciate it!

I have to say I choose wisely on the panels I attended because they were great.

I went to

Remembering Satoshi Kon - I learned a lot more about my favorite Anime Creator.

Ryokucha: Green Tea - I've studied Tea Ceremony but this was a great way to learn more about Green Tea for every day.

ANImakeup: Professional Make-up Techniques for Cosplay - I learned so much that could make cosplay with make-up much less frustrating.

I don't count the two fashion shows for Sixh and Baby the Stars Shine Bright as panels but they were great too.

Cosplay Burlesque was disappointing but again I think of that as an event rather than a panel. I had no problem with the line for it ( I was in the third queue) all staffers were good with the crowd control. I had a good seat even in the back and the camera work was great so that you could still see from anywhere. The problem was some of the performers were rushed and the frame (the Scott Pilgrim story) was not needed and detracted from the performance as most of the characters weren't related to the frame.

I would have liked to have attended the "Remembering Satoshi Kon" panel but it was at 11:00 on Friday and we didn't arrive in Baltimore until after noon.

I wonder if it would be better for more people to shift some things from Friday morning, which was very active, to Sunday afternoon, which was pretty dead.

Hmm... The panels run by fellow con-goers and not guests I attended were:

* Giant Monsters A-Go-Go

* Arch Nemesisisisis

* That Japanese commercial panel I forgot the name of...

* The Abridged Panel

All four of them were really well run, though my favorite was probably Giant Monsters A-Go-Go. It was both informative and funny, and it got my friend into giant monster movies, so thank you. Great way to start the con.

Arch Nemesisisisis: Well, it was a good panel, but I think you gave a bit too much leeway with people giving suggestions. It seemed like a lot of people just blurted out their favorite villains and didn't explain why, even when you asked. Ironically, I was ready to explain my choices but you seemed to skip to someone else who had their hand raised. Didn't mind it but eh... Oh, also, the reason you got flak for including Itachi is due to a certain spoilerific plot twist that the English anime hasn't reached yet. Without knowing about that twist though, you're right on about Itachi.

Japanese Commercials: It ran short! O: I didn't mind it that much, but I would've liked a few more commercials for sure. Good choices all around though.

The Abridged Panel: .... I don't think anything I say here will affect the panel, and I'd be better off saying it on a more official abridging site, but I liked it.

The Journey through the CLAMP Universe was the worse panel I attended at Otakon. Possibly the worse panel I have ever been to at an anime convention. It is very hard to journey with someone when they have no idea what they are talking about. People would ask questions and a random attendee would answer the question better than the girl running the panel herself. She left her materials at home and it basically turned into her being asked a question and her answering incorrectly. How can someone possibly run a CLAMP panel when they haven't finished reading Tsubasa? If panelist earn a free badge this one certainly did not earn hers.

Panels that I really enjoyed were the OMG/WTF did I just watch (if that is considered a panel and not more of a video type deal) and Awesomely Bad Japanese Music Videos. There was just enough commentary to make things interesting but not too much that people couldn't hear/pay attention to the video.

I would have liked to have attended the "Remembering Satoshi Kon" panel but it was at 11:00 on Friday and we didn't arrive in Baltimore until after noon.

I wonder if it would be better for more people to shift some things from Friday morning, which was very active, to Sunday afternoon, which was pretty dead.

Sorry, we have something like 10,000 people on Friday morning -- they've checked in the night before and already have their badges, and they deserve real content.

And we have to start packing up to get out by midnight -- teardown begins around noon on Sunday.

*waves* I was the head panelist for the "Tales of" panel! We had a really good group in the audience and i thank all of you for being patient. We had a TON of information and a lot of you had questions we couldn't get to, so hopefully most of you stuck around to get those answered. (if you still have more, hit me up via PM and i'll answer). I think we have at least the first half recorded, but haven't uploaded it anywhere yet. But we always appreciate feedback - good or bad (but if it's bad, please try to be constructive so we can always improve!)

And whomever won Tales of Graces for the Wii, if you read this, please contact me so i can send you the game box when i find it?

and the only other panel i made it to was the 2nd half of the Ladies choice hentai one. It was really amusing for the time we were there. And i'm glad they gave us the titles at the end :angry:

General observation. If you're going to have video as part of your panel and you're going to turn off some of the lights in the room (which I think you should), make sure that the lights that are left on are not directly above the screen(s), flooding the screen(s) with light. I'm no electrician, but if you'd given me a few pieces of cardboard and a roll duct tape, I could have improved the presentation quality of the videos 100% at some of the panels I attended.

This is the first year I actually went to 5 panels at otakon. And here are my thoughts:

Crossdressing - Needless to say, the panelists are fun, friendly and just awesome. Even when there is no PPT, I think the panelists went through all the questions I have for crossdressing and I love how everyone chip in their experiences and thoughts throughout the panel. I only wish the panel is a bit longer though, 1 hour just doesnt seems to be enough :)

AMV 101 - I think this is barely okay. Perhaps I was expecting to learn all the MV editing from start to finish, and I am getting somewhat of 'intermediate' panel than beginner or perhaps the panelists just think we are smart enough to know what they are talking about. I feel very lost at that panel. The only 2 highlight is the guy who shows his AMV that won the contest this year and the software that they use for video editing. I woudl also recommend the panelists to speak louder as I had trouble listening to them.

Cosplay on Shoestring - I think some folks has already mentioned this but this panel just isnt up to par to what they said in the description. I come here to learn different techniques on cosplay and not to listen on how 'thrift shop is the key'. While the panelists mentioned the same point at the "No Sew Cosplay", this panel repeat this point over and over and talked about the cosplay they did in the past -- which doesnt really perk up my interest at that point. There was no agenda like "no sew cosplay", so I wasnt even sure or know what's ahead. I left toward the mid-panel b/c I just dont know where this is going and how that would benefit me.

No Sew Cosplay - as i have mentioned above, the panelists are just as funny and great as the ones from Crossplay. I like how they show their pictures of the cosplay they did in the past and how they make certain pieces. I also love how everyone chip in their thoughts ( love that tip on thistothat.com!). I learned so much from that panel than I expected. So glad I stick with my plan and go to this panel ;)

Exploring Japan - Perhaps it's the fact that I have been to Tokyo in 2008, I feel the presentation are too basic. While I do learned a few things from the panelist (like Manga cafe), I just dont think I am taking away much else from the panel than I was expecting. On top of that, I think the whole history of Tokyo is very unnecessary, and even more so when you put it in the beginning, it just kinda lost the focus from the audience. I am definitely not a history person, so maybe it is great for someone else. I also dont think it cover the basic of what people should know when they travel to japan - Like where to eat, the manners in Japan ( while japanese are very polite, we as tourists should also have manner and respect them) and where to shop. All in all, there is not much I get from the panel that I wouldnt have from the Tourist book I got from amazon. It'd be nice to know few "hidden gem" in Tokyo :)

And just want to give a quick thanks to all the panelists this year. regardless of our feedback, you did spend time to think of topics, to come all over here, and to spend hours to present it to us. Thank you!