Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlameLordPhoenix

The Baltimore Locals

Was it just me, or did the locals seem a little more rude this year than normal? I know on Friday night I was driving back to my hotel after taking a quick trip back to my house (I only live about 20 minutes from the BCC, but I get a hotel room for the sake of convenience and to make the con feel more like a vacation), and I had my windows down. I stopped at a red light in front of the convention center and looked to my left to see this guy looking at me and laughing. He then proceeded to throw a dirty, wet napkin at my car.

On Saturday night I was walking back to the convention center after eating dinner. I crossing at a crosswalk, slightly behind another group of con-goers, with ten seconds left on the crossing timer. This SUV turns the corner while I'm in the crosswalk and just keeps driving at me! When I yelled something to the effect of, "You need to stop!" (no vulgarity involved), one of the men in the truck leans out and yells, "Hey yo you wasn't supposed to be in the street anyway!" Last I checked, a flashing hand with "10" next to it meant that I have ten seconds to get across the street.

Honestly, I have never seen any of the locals act this rudely in years past. Did anyone else have similar experiences, or was my luck just running foul this year?

I would agree with the car part...the taxi drivers for the most part tried running people off the road. But all the hotel staff, food staff that I talked with were super nice and welcoming.

I didn't have a problem as far as non-coers really. There were the occasional rude person who had a snarky remark, but I expect nothing less from those with narrow-minds. In general, I was surprised at how non-coers reacted to the con. They seemed curious, but not surprised, and some nice conversations ensued as a result.

As far as the crosswalking, my friend (who was a con-goer) kept complaining about the so called "tourist" not knowing how to cross the street. To me, she needed to stop. I can't count how many times I almost got hit by a car even when I had the right away. The drivers in Baltimore are RUDE in general.

Oh yeah, there was another incident that I forgot about. I was staying at the Renaissance, and when I came back at 1:45 a.m. Saturday morning (or Friday night, if you prefer), there was a group of people sitting outside of the hotel making rude remarks to attendees as they passed by.

Actually I noticed a lot of "normies" were pretty embracing of my group. We cosplayed nearly every day this year and would get compliments every time we left the con, or had people asking what was going on. I think only once when I was wearing a Pikachu kigurumi was I semi-harassed by two older ladies sitting on a bench screaming "PIKA PIKA" at me as I walked by. Actually really hilarious now that I think about it. :o

A couple people stop me ever-so-often to ask about what's going on, I've never really had any rude experiences with non-con-goers, as far as I can recall. They'll ask where I'm from and what I'm in town for, simple little things. Granted these are adults (upper 30s and 40s) so I suppose they're a bit more lax about things happening in their town, as Baltimore always seems so busy.

The only rudeness I ran into was late Saturday night/early Sunday when after one of the 18+ panels I went to Hilton to pick up the manga I bought in the dealers room (26 volumes) from a friends room. I also had a dress bag with my costume in it. I was staying at the Residence Inn which while not super far it was far enough I didn't want to walk the several blocks with two grocery bags full of books. I walked out of the Hilton and hailed a cab told the cabbie where I wanted to go and he just drove away. I was very confused, even a person in their car near by asked me what happened. Luckily, another cab came by shortly and took me back.

In the morning I took a cab back to the con because I had to haul stuff over for my panel and the cabbie just said some cabbies just don't like to do the short rides because they just don't make a lot on it. I guess I can see that but man is it annoying at like two in the morning for a cabbie to just drive off without saying anything.

we cant blame anything on bmore locals ;\

the varying attitudes towards ppl like us will be expected wherever a con may be.

there's always that one person that's like "yo man you look like a damn fool".

but there there will be that one person that's really accepting and curious about what's goin on.

Walking from the Masquerade to the BBC, I got quite a few cat-calls and whistles from people I think were not attending, which freaked me out. I've been going to conventions for 9 years and have worn that particular costume 4 times already, and never got that reaction before. It wasn't even a skimpy outfit. Last year, I had people out in the street ask to take my picture, but that was it until now.

On Saturday night I was walking back to the convention center after eating dinner. I crossing at a crosswalk, slightly behind another group of con-goers, with ten seconds left on the crossing timer. This SUV turns the corner while I'm in the crosswalk and just keeps driving at me! When I yelled something to the effect of, "You need to stop!" (no vulgarity involved), one of the men in the truck leans out and yells, "Hey yo you wasn't supposed to be in the street anyway!" Last I checked, a flashing hand with "10" next to it meant that I have ten seconds to get across the street.

to op. i live in highlandtown so i usually drive down or take a bus, but if youre also from here you should already know baltimore isnt the nicest city in america. it has one of the highest crime rates. you should be used to these rude people and probably be a little rude yourself but not in a bad way. im always the nicest person but i know how this city works and if people are nice to me ill be nice back , if not than ---- em.

The local crowd seemed rougher than I remember. More aggressive panhandling, scantily clad ladies with track marks, and men driving slowly trying to pick up me and my friend in cosplay. Our cosplays weren't skimpy and guys were really pestering us... 2 fully clothes girls walking back to hotel at night, wearing con badges.. we didn't look like prostitutes at all. It was discomforting.

I turned down a sketchy local guy for a photo and he got pissed at me and mocked me a bit.

I had never been to Baltimore before this weekend, and it's the probably biggest city I've ever been in. Our hotel was only a block or so away from the con, so I didn't run into many people -- but whenever I attracted someone's attention, it was because I was in my fursuit. They usually just wanted to stop and get a picture of/with me. XD;; Other than that, I was pretty much ignored, which was fine by me; I get nervous about walking in cities anyway. >_<;;

I did have one problem with someone driving by..? They were way down the street, and I started to cross, but they sped up and blew their horn anyway, as though I was in the way. Even though I was well on my way to the other side before they even reached me. u_u;; That was about it, though.

I had never been to Baltimore before this weekend, and it's the probably biggest city I've ever been in. Our hotel was only a block or so away from the con, so I didn't run into many people -- but whenever I attracted someone's attention, it was because I was in my fursuit. They usually just wanted to stop and get a picture of/with me. XD;; Other than that, I was pretty much ignored, which was fine by me; I get nervous about walking in cities anyway. >_<;;

I did have one problem with someone driving by..? They were way down the street, and I started to cross, but they sped up and blew their horn anyway, as though I was in the way. Even though I was well on my way to the other side before they even reached me. u_u;; That was about it, though.

I wear gothic lolita and stayed a few stops away on the light rail. I was walking to my hotel and this local woman obnoxious type yelled Final Fantasy at me. I'm like, I don't wear 100 buckles.

I agree with the cab drivers, they really seemed to not understand that you have to yield for pedestrians. Otherwise, I just had the normal looks, nothing too bad. Then again I don't cosplay, I just wear the shirts.

I met a group of people in the elevator at the Hyatt that were just regular people, and they basically just asked what the hell was going on and wanted to take pictures because they have never seen it before lol.

I met nothing but friendly people, and I took the skywalks basically EVERYWHERE, so I rarely had to cross the street and deal with drivers, thank god.

None of these sound like anything unusual for Baltimore. I live right outside the city, people just are idiots and in generally, drive like it. I would expect them to do it regardless of how you looked, what you wore, and what time you were in the street. Don't pay it any mind.

For the most part, people around here have gotten used to the convention. My first year in 2004 was way, way worse then this.

Most of the convention went as normal for me in regards to non-con goers; most of them actually simply questioned whether I was going to die of dehydration, with the exception of two special gentlemen.

It was night, probably 2 AM, and I got lost walking back to my hotel (left out a different exit or something). Two gentlemen approached me from a dark alleyway, and I was sure I was going to be mugged... But all they wanted was a picture with me. Said I "looked like some sort of royalty" in my Hector costume. If it were my city, they would've killed me.

This was my first Otakon, and if the locals are THIS friendly all the time, I'll definitely be returning in the future.

... and men driving slowly trying to pick up me and my friend in cosplay. Our cosplays weren't skimpy and guys were really pestering us... 2 fully clothes girls walking back to hotel at night, wearing con badges.. we didn't look like prostitutes at all. It was discomforting.

Since I got rides to the convention center each day and mostly kept myself there and at the Hilton, I didn't get to see many locals besides the convention center employees who were all nice, but a few of the one working the cash registers seemed to not know how to work the things. o.O;

... And of course a certain man with his frigid H20 beverages which were being offered in exchange for only one US dollar bill.

Most of the convention went as normal for me in regards to non-con goers; most of them actually simply questioned whether I was going to die of dehydration, with the exception of two special gentlemen.

It was night, probably 2 AM, and I got lost walking back to my hotel (left out a different exit or something). Two gentlemen approached me from a dark alleyway, and I was sure I was going to be mugged... But all they wanted was a picture with me. Said I "looked like some sort of royalty" in my Hector costume. If it were my city, they would've killed me.

This was my first Otakon, and if the locals are THIS friendly all the time, I'll definitely be returning in the future.

I met a group of people in the elevator at the Hyatt that were just regular people, and they basically just asked what the hell was going on and wanted to take pictures because they have never seen it before lol.

I met nothing but friendly people, and I took the skywalks basically EVERYWHERE, so I rarely had to cross the street and deal with drivers, thank god.

While it's true that I do live in Baltimore (technically Dundalk, but close enough), I have honestly never had something thrown at me from a car, Otakon or otherwise. I have had a few ignorant drivers, yes, but this was the first time the people in the car ever tried to actually justify their bad driving. Most encounters like that usually end in a signaled apology from the driver, the drive throwing his/her hands up, or an exchange of rude hand gestures. I guess I'm just lucky to have lived here for almost 24 years and not experience anything like this.

While it's true that I do live in Baltimore (technically Dundalk, but close enough), I have honestly never had something thrown at me from a car, Otakon or otherwise. I have had a few ignorant drivers, yes, but this was the first time the people in the car ever tried to actually justify their bad driving. Most encounters like that usually end in a signaled apology from the driver, the drive throwing his/her hands up, or an exchange of rude hand gestures. I guess I'm just lucky to have lived here for almost 24 years and not experience anything like this.

Honestly, it's not just during Otakon. Baltimore has crazy and rude people all year long...in fact most major cities do. It's just sort of part of urban life. I get nearly run over by vehicles making right hand turns on red on an almost daily basis.

When I first arrived in Baltimore, a guy went straight thru a left turn only lane, blocking me from getting in the left lane to get in my hotel garage. Took his sweet time passing me. People behind me blew their horn 100 times. Probably normal behavior though since everyone blew their horn every 2 seconds.

Tired of encountering the beggers. Had one saying she was pregnant and hungry. Denied her money, and she asked for a smoke. Really hope she wasn't pragnant.

If you want to give to the poor, they have meeters that collect money and go toward the real homeless!

When I first arrived in Baltimore, a guy went straight thru a left turn only lane, blocking me from getting in the left lane to get in my hotel garage. Took his sweet time passing me. People behind me blew their horn 100 times. Probably normal behavior though since everyone blew their horn every 2 seconds.

Tired of encountering the beggers. Had one saying she was pregnant and hungry. Denied her money, and she asked for a smoke. Really hope she wasn't pragnant.

If you want to give to the poor, they have meeters that collect money and go toward the real homeless!

the "homeless" around the harbor actually work together. they used to give out cards that would teach you the sign language alphabet, in return for cash; of course they would pretend to be deaf. after awhile you see them chatting together splitting up their daily earnings -__-

I got a ton of cat calls and whistles, which I can't really blame the locals for while in my Babydoll cosplay on Friday, but I was in lolita Saturday and still got them. Walking back to the hotel that night and seeing how all the locals did this to each other made me realize this wasn't really out of the usual.

The drivers were terrifying, but really what shocked me the most was how people were just sitting outside in the open on main streets smoking pot. Come on, really? You can't even TRY to keep that on the downlow?

Baltimore makes me appreciate Pittsburgh even more.

I almost got ran over a few times, too. They just drive around you, no matter how close, and don't stop. I was shocked one time, though. I kind of jaywalked because I wanted to walk in the shade. There was only one car coming and I was timing it to cross after it went by. They actually stopped to let me go (and then I felt a little bad for jaywalking). As for other people, I thought how I should be careful, but wasn't too afraid to walk after dark. Not sure if it was the norm or just because of the con, but I noticed many police around the area.

I didn't really have a problem with the traffic or the people.

I only got a couple whistles and I'm not even sure if it was directed at me since there's usually always a decent amount of cosplayers walking around.

On Saturday a nice lady honked at me and gave me a thumbs up, she must of liked my cosplay or something :D

But over all, the strange looks from cars at people walking by is expected.

And I think the whole police being around more at night is normal, especially with the kind of reputation Baltimore has.

i actually didn't have any problems with the locals in fact on friday when I was rushing to the artist alley to set up (we got stuck in traffic and only had 30 minutes to set up before the alley opened) I dropped one of the things i was selling and a man stopped me and told me I dropped something and kindly picked it up for me.

But I didn't spend a lot of time outside the convention because of the heat.

Some of the locals bought their kids to the superhero photoshoot on saturday which I thought was pretty cool. The kids got their pictures taken with all of the superheroes (I should have told them to stay in school, do their homework, and listen to their parents, but I forgot!) That was probably my favorite part of the con (aside from the drum game in the video game room!)

to op. i live in highlandtown so i usually drive down or take a bus, but if youre also from here you should already know baltimore isnt the nicest city in america. it has one of the highest crime rates. you should be used to these rude people and probably be a little rude yourself but not in a bad way. im always the nicest person but i know how this city works and if people are nice to me ill be nice back , if not than ---- em.

I walked around outside the convention hall in cosplay quite a bit, and mostly had only good interactions with people, including one really nice conversation with a guy and his kids wondering what was going one. Got one catcall too, but mainly people seemed pretty friendly.

I know what you mean,I live in greektown and I am as nice as I can be but the more you go in to downtown the more rude the people get. In the city of baltimore as you said has one of the highest crime rates an has been known to be rude,but it is best to overlook it,An old saying I was taught ''there is always one bad apple in the bunch.''

I normally take the bus down and on sometimes get hit by cars ,but baltimore is very well known like new york you gotta be tough .

I actual found the locals to be nicer this year than any other. My group got stopped at least five times by non-con-goers, to be asked what we were doing, why, and what Otakon was, and all in the nicest way possible. We also got stopped by the director of a children's organization that wanted to use our picture of us in cosplay to get people interested in their program. I also experienced much less catcalling then previous years.

I suppose its all in where you go and who you run into. Though the fact that one of our cosplays had a huge fluffy boa wrapped around him might have helped...

Honestly, it's not just during Otakon. Baltimore has crazy and rude people all year long...in fact most major cities do. It's just sort of part of urban life. I get nearly run over by vehicles making right hand turns on red on an almost daily basis.

Ain't that the honest truth!!!! I am a Baltimore City resident and I've seen crazy and rude people throughout the city so it's not just Otakon that the crazies and rude people come out.

Ain't that the honest truth!!!! I am a Baltimore City resident and I've seen crazy and rude people throughout the city so it's not just Otakon that the crazies and rude people come out.

I didn't have a problem as far as non-coers really. There were the occasional rude person who had a snarky remark, but I expect nothing less from those with narrow-minds. In general, I was surprised at how non-coers reacted to the con. They seemed curious, but not surprised, and some nice conversations ensued as a result.

As far as the crosswalking, my friend (who was a con-goer) kept complaining about the so called "tourist" not knowing how to cross the street. To me, she needed to stop. I can't count how many times I almost got hit by a car even when I had the right away. The drivers in Baltimore are RUDE in general.

There were like 2 different stories in the past year that put Baltimore and DC in like the top five cities for worst drivers in the US. One was an annual study by an insurance company (I think Allstate) where they ranked based on the number of claims per mile driven, and I forget what the other one was, but it came out later.

I remember one news site and an insurance company did a questionaire for the smartest drivers in the nation. 20 question test, you had to pass with an 80%. Top three states were Oregon, Washington, and Vermont. You can easily guess that most East Coast states were at the bottom of the pile for being the "dumb" drivers. **chuckle**

I remember a couple of years ago after one of the baseball games a mother asked us what was going on and we told her. She asked if Pokemon fell into that category. We said yes and she asked her two kids if they wanted to check the con out later. ;) Last year the foreign soccer fans definitely got an eyeful and a lot of them were genuinely curious about the con and probably did buy passes to check it out.

Only major time my friends and I deal with knuckleheads was that one weekend where the Orioles played the Yankees. I believe EVERYONE wanted to kill those New Yorkers.

Only rudeness anyone in our group encountered during the weekend was when a beggar asked a couple of them for money. When they said no, he apparently cursed them out. And then one of them was asked by the same guy panhandling the next day. Needless to say, that was met by quite the lecture...

My encounters with the locals has been mostly positive. My first year, I was hanging outside at the fountains with my friend and all kinds of locals asked for pictures with us.

This year, someone with the lawyer/political convention asked me to take a picture with her son while I was doing Kefka. (That poor child still didn't know what to make of me.) When I came back from the Distant Worlds concert, a group of people hanging out in the lobby asked me about my costume and how I made it. They were hanging on my every word as I described how I painted parts of my shirt and appliqued the triangles on my cape.

The funniest, however, was my getting hit on by a hooker after getting off the Light Rail. I saw her dancing around in the next car over and pointed her out to my friends. When she noticed I was watching, she started pole dancing. When I got off, I felt someone tap my shoulder and I turned around. She popped her hip and said, "Welcome to Baltimore, honey." Then she hooker-strutted down the street. :(

I was hustling across an intersection on a flashing "don't walk" with about 15 seconds left (in my defense, I was already in when it started flashing... and anyone who knows me knows I at least try to walk quickly, if not run across at full speed to get out of the road), and some guy just comes hurtling through the intersection with a crazed look on his face - he sped up when he saw the cosplayers in the crosswalk. I think he was trying to run us over. Splendid! Wish I had gotten the douchewagon's license plate number, but I was too busy trying to get out with my life intact.

But as both a Baltimore native and an Otakoner, I'd say the approximate reaction of most Baltimore people is "whatever." For those in the harbor, it's a curiosity, but otherwise nobody really cares one way or another.

Well, I guess speaking of driving in the Inner Harbor/Downtown Baltimore area it can only get worse from here...

I mean, there's that Grand Prix racing thing coming on Labor Day weekend, I think...

ive heard every story in the book. most of them have kids or something and need money for a bus to get god knows where. half of them i saw asking for money ive seen around other parts of the city asking for money all the time. i never give anyone money.

As far as I dealt with I met some very nice 'normal' people. The first day of the con, and mind you this was the first time I had ever cosplayed and my first con so I was a little nervous, a very nice young couple (maybe mid-20s) stopped me and asked for a picture cause she liked my hair. I had pink hair as Yachiru.

Also Saturday I had a young girls mom come up to me and ask for a photo with her daughter because I was from the only anime she watched, I was so surprised at how kind she was and the child was adorably shy which is okay because Kisa is too. XD Fruits Basket. The introductory anime.

There were quite a few people who had stopped us to ask why were dressed up and why so many people were around, but they were always polite just honestly curious folks. I actually expected a lot worse, but I was surprised by how kind some of the people were.