Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlameLordPhoenix

The Baltimore Locals

Baltimore makes me appreciate Pittsburgh even more.

That's low. Very low.

Not all of us Bawlmerans (Baltimore-ians) are old coots and young whippersnappers. As a matter of fact, most of us are decent, working people who don't get mixed up with drugs and "gangs"*, but there are those few "gang members" who kill every week, inflating our murder rate. As long as you stay out of certain neighborhoods, you won't even know Baltimore is all that violent. As for the homeless people I've had to deal with, just ask them what they would like you to get for them from McD's or somewhere. If they leave after you head inside the store, you just bought yourself a big mac, but for the most part, they really are just looking for something to eat/drink, and they are very appreciative.

* BTW, the 'gangs' are a bunch of bull-cookies who can't even fight by themselves with their own fists, and have to wuss out by using semi-automatic weapons. Nobody should be afraid of anyone wearing a red or blue thingy around their head, because all it means is that the person is a middle school drop-out who is such a lost cause that their parents kicked them out, and they're in a 'gang' because everyone there 'supports their desicions'.

That's low. Very low.

Not all of us Bawlmerans (Baltimore-ians) are old coots and young whippersnappers. As a matter of fact, most of us are decent, working people who don't get mixed up with drugs and "gangs"*, but there are those few "gang members" who kill every week, inflating our murder rate. As long as you stay out of certain neighborhoods, you won't even know Baltimore is all that violent. As for the homeless people I've had to deal with, just ask them what they would like you to get for them from McD's or somewhere. If they leave after you head inside the store, you just bought yourself a big mac, but for the most part, they really are just looking for something to eat/drink, and they are very appreciative.

* BTW, the 'gangs' are a bunch of bull-cookies who can't even fight by themselves with their own fists, and have to wuss out by using semi-automatic weapons. Nobody should be afraid of anyone wearing a red or blue thingy around their head, because all it means is that the person is a middle school drop-out who is such a lost cause that their parents kicked them out, and they're in a 'gang' because everyone there 'supports their desicions'.

That's low. Very low.

While I agree with some of what you said, I really caution you against thinking of the gangs so lightly. I am a middle school teacher in the city and frequently work with students who are in these gangs or on the verge of becoming a part of these gangs. It doesn't mean they are a drop out, fact is, some of them are very smart young men and women. The issue is, they are looking for a sense of family and belonging in a time of their life (the teen age years), and the gangs offer them that. This doesn't mean their parents kicked them out or the world gave up on them - they just believe the gang is something that will let them be themselves in a time when they don't know who they want to be. I agree we should not be afraid to wear colors but you do need to understand that gang culture is a large part of Baltimore.

I agree with the gangs part. I don't think you should take them lightly just because some are dropouts. Though some are intelligent as aforementioned, some gang members won't hesitate to pull the trigger. We don't know the mindsets of other people and state that we shouldn't be afraid of them because of their decisions.

*staff hat off*

Bloods and Crips are Bloods and Crips, dropouts or not. They do however tend to avoid the downtown area because of the higher than average police presence.