Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Demonseed

Too many rude inconsiderate people

I should of been used to it from other cons, but it just seems out of control now. Why are there so many rude, inconsiderate people at cons now? Things I am referring to: people leaving their trash everywhere, people thinking they are the most important thing when taking a cosplayers picture and could care less they are causing a major backup in the crowd walking by, people thinking it's OK to keep bumping into someone with their costume because it's not part of themselves and not apologize until you give them a look, people thinking it's OK to cut in line, much less that they can practically sit on top of the person in front of them, females trashing the bathroom by leaving all sorts of trash (come on socks?!?) on the floor............I'm sure there's plenty more that I forgot, feel free to add. And last, but worse, the staff who thought the only way to get the attention of the attendees, usually when they were waiting in a line, was to yell at them like the attendees were idiots and they were far superior because they were staff.

And last, but worse, the staff who thought the only way to get the attention of the attendees, usually when they were waiting in a line, was to yell at them like the attendees were idiots and they were far superior because they were staff.

And last, but worse, the staff who thought the only way to get the attention of the attendees, usually when they were waiting in a line, was to yell at them like the attendees were idiots and they were far superior because they were staff.

Given your complaints about your fellow attendees, that attitude may not be entirely unjustified...

Given your complaints about your fellow attendees, that attitude may not be entirely unjustified...

Yeah, I had that problem waiting to get into Artist Alley on Sunday morning. I joked to the people around me that staff wouldn't be satisfied until we all just started grinding on each other. Whatever happened to those fire codes about having too many people in too small a space?

At the Capcom Fanpanel I had a few questions, and after my second or third question some little brat wearing Joker makeup who couldn't have been a day past 17 came up to me at my seat at the end of the row and said to me, word for word, "if you raise your hand again, I'll f___ing kill you."

I stood up, told him politely to sit back down, and that if he tried anything I'd drop him. I told a staffer immediately afterward but he left the room pretty quickly. No conflict, no problems. People are gonna be rude and nasty, you just have to politely lay it out for them and they'll leave you alone. :)

True enough. :D

Seriously though, I can't speak for every staffer, but in my experience if a staffer is yelling, it's not to be rude, but for very practical reasons. First, the place is usually very noisy, so we have to yell (or use a megaphone) to be heard by as many people as possible at once, and to make sure that we're heard the first time by people who might be distracted by other things. Second, there's often a time-crunch involved, we need to get a response quickly and move on to other things, because we're often juggling several small crises at once. We aren't trying to be mean, we're just trying to get things how they need to be in the shortest amount of time possible. There's never enough time to give each member the personal attention that we wish we could. That said, you should never expect foul language from a staffer (unless perhaps in response to incoming foul language), or anything like that, but I'm afraid you can certainly expect us to be loud and short with people sometimes. ;)

I should of been used to it from other cons, but it just seems out of control now. Why are there so many rude, inconsiderate people at cons now? Things I am referring to: people leaving their trash everywhere, people thinking they are the most important thing when taking a cosplayers picture and could care less they are causing a major backup in the crowd walking by, people thinking it's OK to keep bumping into someone with their costume because it's not part of themselves and not apologize until you give them a look, people thinking it's OK to cut in line, much less that they can practically sit on top of the person in front of them, females trashing the bathroom by leaving all sorts of trash (come on socks?!?) on the floor............I'm sure there's plenty more that I forgot, feel free to add. And last, but worse, the staff who thought the only way to get the attention of the attendees, usually when they were waiting in a line, was to yell at them like the attendees were idiots and they were far superior because they were staff.

I don't know if people here are referring to the BCC staff or the Otakon staff, but from my experience this year it was the staff of BCC. On saturday, I was trying to find a panel which I didn't know was in the Hilton connected to the convention center. When I asked one of the staff for directions, she walked me over with an attitude when I asked her to repeat the last part of the directions. She had pointed in the direction of two stairs and I pointed at one of the stairs make sure which one she was referring to. The staff member then got kinda annoyed and scoffed before pointing it out for me. I said thank you and went on with my business. She was really rude. Another thing that bothered me was at the rave when people kept bumping into me without saying excuse me. I know it's the rave, but still, manners can't be used?

First off, I want to say this. If you EVER have problems with a rude staffer come to con ops and ask to speak to the Human Resources Section Chief or the Chief of Staff. These two positions are the two that deal with addressing staff behaviour. That being said, if you want me to investigate any incident, please PM me so I can provide you with my email. Trust me when I say we take these kinds of complaints very seriously. To the point of removing said staffers from staff if the offense is egregious enough.

Second, I do want to address the raised voices thing. Many times our staff have to raise their voices in order to be heard over the din of the crowd. This year we had 8 megaphones and unfortunately by noon on Friday five of them were broken. Each year we do purchase more, but they are not cheap and when you have them break, as they do, it isn't easy to run out and get replacements on the spot. Most of the time, if staff are addressing the line as a whole they must use a raised voice. They are not yelling at anyone in particular, just trying to be heard. And not everyone on our staff has theatre training to know how to project their voices from their diaphragm.

Third, On the lines themselves. The reason we ask you to move closer together is so that more people can be a part of the line, or to move you past a fire door, or to prevent the end of the line from spilling out into walkways, or to keep the line against a wall but with a path so that people can move through the hallway. I do understand that some people don't like others near them, unfortunately that isn't always able to be accommodated at the convention in a large line. And it is like this in real life as well, at the airport as I was leaving Baltimore, an airport employee was condensing the line waiting to check their baggage in order to fit within the stanchions. And from the length of the line, I understood why he did so because people were spilling out into the walkway. So we aren't trying to be rude, we're trying to keep things as orderly as possible.

Finally, I do want to say I did notice that there seemed to be a greater influx of people who were rude this year. I was personally shoved from my scooter and onto my leg in a cast by a group of con goers crossing the street on Thursday. And in the few times I had to move out of the convention staff areas I unfortunately encountered people who were forcibly making their way through the crowd with no thought for anyone other than themselves. And after the Pratt street lobby elevators broke, I had to get off of my scooter to make it to Lost and Found (One of my departments) to check on them or deal with any issues that arose there, two times when I got back to the scooter at the top of the stairs I found liquid sprayed across the seat and another time something that looked like snot on the controls.

I am not sure what to do about the congoer's behaviour other than to include greater emphasis than there already is in the program book. But it may just be indicative of the times, and this makes me a sad panda.

A lot of the volunteers were really curt I noticed. i.e. my boyfriend and I were going towards the dealers room because that's where we went on Friday to get to the artists alley, we asked a volunteer if that was the way to get to the artists alley and she said no. I then asked how to get to the artists alley and she very rudely said "This is the line for the DEALERS ROOM." and I was like "I get that, but we're asking how to get to the artists alley because we went this way yesterday". She also told my boyfriend the hallway between the dealers room and artists alley was closed, which it wasn't. When we went to the artists alley there was a staff member pointing towards the open hallway saying "Dealers room that way.".

We pretty much received annoyed/rude responses every time we asked volunteers questions. I understand that they probably get asked the same things a lot, but if the information isn't in the convention booklet or the website, people are going to keep asking them.

I noticed that Sunday was a lot better and the staff were completely different..the guys handling the dealers room/artist alley entrances were very pleasant and it was a much better experience. Friday and Saturday were frustrating..I go to large conventions so I can understand organization issues- it's difficult to get information to all of the volunteers sometimes. But the rude attitudes were unnecessary.

Congoers were also pretty rude on occasion. The group behind us during the cosplay burlesque show were talking so loudly (mostly about how they didn't like the show and making fun of the burlesque girls/guys) we couldn't hear the host/gideon very well. The guy a couple seats in front of me also put his arms behind his head and I couldn't see anything and my boyfriend had to get his attention because my voice doesn't carry at all..

For the most part I think congoers were fine, but there were a couple of people that just didn't think about, or didn't care about, whether or not they were messing up other peoples convention experience. I'm not sure if it's because it doesn't occur to them, or if they realize it and are just jerks.

well here is my 2 cents on this matter, and many will not like this but, I have learned (hard way) that as a convention gets bigger there will be more rude people than the year before all because of a simple matter as the con gets on in years and size many of the new attendee's will be young snots while the vets/silver foxes of con get older.

how to solve this problem, well the best way I can think of is to ask a convention that has a WAY bigger crowd and has been going on longer for advice or recommendations *cough*Comic-con*cough* :P

The costume thing is a bit difficult, especially if they don't realize that they've hit you. Usually when a person gives you a look, and you don't realize you've done something, it'll click and you apologize. That, in itself is not being rude.

As for the trash....it really wasn't that bad. I personally am not a woman, so I didn't see the ladies facilities, but I saw nothing of the sort in the men's.

People pushing....that's ANY con.

Picture taking issue...that's also ANY con.

I've had people bump into ME, and I apologize anyway because I know the average human is confrontational even when THEY'RE the ones at fault. I get looks from them and just walk away. Why? Because I don't have time for nonsense. If you let every little thing bother you like that, you'll get no where and enjoy nothing.

I don't need to address the staffers issue. I've helped run a large even before, and I've watched people on staff at several events. In the "yelling" case...you just need to in order to be heard. Why? This statement sums it up: "A person is smart, but people are stupid."

I'm not trying to sound mean or uncaring to the OP, or the other girl (Who said it'd be her last), but this is common con stuff.....actually this is common city or town stuff, too. It may not be common from where you are from exactly, but we have to put up with other people. I was pushed, stepped on, had someone give me the meanest attitude when I was complimenting on their costume, and more. I was also yelled at by staffers. Oh, and the beautiful part is that I was singled out for my badge to be checked when it was visible. (Only black man in the group.) I also saw trash, but I picked it up. There was one thing that bothered me, but it belongs in another area. *shrugs* If anything, it just needs to have attention brought to it. Not like it's going to affect whether I come again or not. What happened to me was wrong, and I got NO apology for it.- Event wise.

I had one problem with a staffer or volunteer of some sort.

On Sunday morning I was heading down to the Artist Alley entrance around 8:50 for the Art Auction that starts at 9am (that's what it said on the program) and the man yelled "That area is closed but you can sit here in line to wait for it to open at 10". I then asked, "Isn't the Art Auction at 9am in the same Hall?" he yelled no that I would have to wait till 10 to get into the room and that I could wait over by the wall because there was no line...

I was going to point out on the schedule where it said the Art Auction was and time but he was ignoring me by then yelling at another attendy that was going to ask a question about the Artist Alley.

I left and I missed the Art Show

Also I did see a few con goers that dropped a piece of trash by accident, then looked at it on the floor and decided not to pick it up and kept moving...I felt bad for some of the BCC staff that cleans up after a lot of these people.

All in All it was my 4th con there and enjoyed it as much as I could and it was my Girl friends 1st Otakon and she loved it and is ready to go again. We met a lot of nice people but I guess there are the few that do something inconsiderate.

Your con experience will be better if you are not purposely looking for problems and stuff and are on the up-and-up.

The only rude or inconsiderate people I encountered during the weekend were outside the convention center... both BCC and Otakon staff were helpful, to me at least, and a bunch of the congoers I met were nice. I don't see the problem...

how to solve this problem, well the best way I can think of is to ask a convention that has a WAY bigger crowd and has been going on longer for advice or recommendations *cough*Comic-con*cough* :P

It's actually open to debate as to how much bigger SDCC compared to Otakon or Dragon*Con. The reason for that is that D*C and Otakon give no incentives for people to get multiple memberships, whereas SDCC have venders such as Hasbro that produce limited-edition SDCC exclusive products and they will only sell 1 or 2 of these items per day and mark or scan your badge to prevent you from buying more than your allotment. So, the one time I went to SDCC there were people in the Habro booth with several tickets for that day to horde the items in order to sell them for a profit after the convention.

First off, I want to say this. If you EVER have problems with a rude staffer come to con ops and ask to speak to the Human Resources Section Chief or the Chief of Staff. These two positions are the two that deal with addressing staff behaviour. That being said, if you want me to investigate any incident, please PM me so I can provide you with my email. Trust me when I say we take these kinds of complaints very seriously. To the point of removing said staffers from staff if the offense is egregious enough.

Finally, I do want to say I did notice that there seemed to be a greater influx of people who were rude this year. I was personally shoved from my scooter and onto my leg in a cast by a group of con goers crossing the street on Thursday. And in the few times I had to move out of the convention staff areas I unfortunately encountered people who were forcibly making their way through the crowd with no thought for anyone other than themselves. And after the Pratt street lobby elevators broke, I had to get off of my scooter to make it to Lost and Found (One of my departments) to check on them or deal with any issues that arose there, two times when I got back to the scooter at the top of the stairs I found liquid sprayed across the seat and another time something that looked like snot on the controls.

I am not sure what to do about the congoer's behaviour other than to include greater emphasis than there already is in the program book. But it may just be indicative of the times, and this makes me a sad panda.

Sorry about the staff, but we do work hard to not act that way. We also try not to recruit staff who will be doing that.

I do think I should tell you about something that the BCC Public Safety people on duty at 8 a.m. in the Charles Street Lobby on Thursday morning said to me. They told me that they love working at Otakon, that our "kids" are so well behaved and you all are just great! Well behaved, polite, no problem with vandalism, those were words they used. It's not the first time that I've heard this from them.

Makes me wonder what the heck the other conventions are like...

But overall, consider that we have a very good rep in Baltimore so far as consideration and behavior goes.

I really had, well, none of these problems, all weekend. And the "otafunk" one made me laugh -- did you maybe miss the part where it was 100 degrees on Friday? People sweat when it's hot out. I slathered deodorant on in the morning and was still getting a bit pungent after being out in that ridiculous heat, because I am a human being with working sweat glands.

I didn't run into any rude staffers; I ran into YELLING staffers, because they had to yell or nobody would hear them, but none of them were rude. The vast majority of my fellow attendees weren't rude, at least not that I noticed. Yes, there was trash around, but I didn't ever see it looking nearly as bad as the OP seems to be implying, I didn't see any of the women's bathrooms looking that trashed. I do think that the trash bins in the Otacafe probably should have been emptied more often, but it was probably a bit overwhelming for the BCC workers, and I think they did a pretty good job overall. (I was especially impressed with the water. Sure, sometimes the water would be empty, but I could always find one that wasn't, so they were clearly working pretty hard to get them all changed out pretty constantly.)

Sometimes I read threads like this and I get the impression the people complaining just shouldn't even try going to big cons, because this is just how it goes when you get huge crowds all in one building. I personally really like the chaotic atmosphere, but if you don't Otakon just might not be the con for you.

As you can see on my signature, I have attended every Otakon since the very begining (WOW! my 18th consecutive year :blink: ), and I've seen how some of these congoer's behavior has changed over the years. In attendee's numbers, this con went from a few hundreds, to a few thousands, to now tens of thousands. You will also noticed that the average age of these con attendees has also dropped over the years as well.

What does this have to do with the "rudeness" factor? Well, consider these congoer's maturity level, or better yet, immaturity level. The attitude and vibes that I've been getting from a lot of the younger attendees are "me-me-me", and "gimmie-gimmie-gimmie". They also try and see how far they can push and get away with their attitudes, since their parents are not there to monitor them (I see parents or guardians drive up to the convention center to drop their kids off, and then drive away).

Yes, I did had a few run-ins with rude attendees (mostly from the "under 20" group), during the early years of the con, but it was few and far inbetween and it was quickly delt with thanks to the staff and the more matured minded attendees that kept it in check. But as the attendence grew, it was getting harder to ignor and avoid some of these rude people, especially when the facilities spaces of the hotels that Otakon used to use, were already at it's limits (still remembering the crowds of cosplayers at Otakon'98 that kept blocking the top and bottom landings on the escalators, and others who comendeered one or two of the elevators for their own little parties).

It was a bit of a relief when Otakon moved to the BCC in 1999, and the con didn't seem all that crowded, anymore, but it didn't take long when we started to fight for elbow room, again.

The rudest attendees that I always encounter are, in this order:

Cosplayers. They seem to act that it's their god-given right to pose and/or take a picture of other cosplayers no matter where they are and how it affects others (top and/or bottom of the escalator's landing, right in front of a busy restroom, narrow coridors and/or stairs, almost anywhere that impedes the flow of traffic), and some of them feel insulted when you don't complement their costumes right after you politely asked them to step aside when you want to get through.

Memes shouters: I think these are a bunch of attendees who are just hanging around the con just for the dance, and they have nothing else better to do than to shout these memes just to pass the time, or just want some badly needed attention.

Videogame Hogs: Once some of these people gets their hands on one of the videogames in the Video Game room, they will not give others a chance to play with it as well.

Panel hecklers (I can't think of a better term): These are the people that start a group discussion in the back of the room while the actual panel is still going on. Person who is picked to asked a question to the panelist, only to start rambling along about something that has nothing to do with the panelist and the topic, while taking up valuable time for other questions.

That's all I can think of right now.

I really had, well, none of these problems, all weekend. And the "otafunk" one made me laugh -- did you maybe miss the part where it was 100 degrees on Friday? People sweat when it's hot out. I slathered deodorant on in the morning and was still getting a bit pungent after being out in that ridiculous heat, because I am a human being with working sweat glands.

I didn't run into any rude staffers; I ran into YELLING staffers, because they had to yell or nobody would hear them, but none of them were rude. The vast majority of my fellow attendees weren't rude, at least not that I noticed. Yes, there was trash around, but I didn't ever see it looking nearly as bad as the OP seems to be implying, I didn't see any of the women's bathrooms looking that trashed. I do think that the trash bins in the Otacafe probably should have been emptied more often, but it was probably a bit overwhelming for the BCC workers, and I think they did a pretty good job overall. (I was especially impressed with the water. Sure, sometimes the water would be empty, but I could always find one that wasn't, so they were clearly working pretty hard to get them all changed out pretty constantly.)

Sometimes I read threads like this and I get the impression the people complaining just shouldn't even try going to big cons, because this is just how it goes when you get huge crowds all in one building. I personally really like the chaotic atmosphere, but if you don't Otakon just might not be the con for you.

Cosplayers. They seem to act that it's their god-given right to pose and/or take a picture of other cosplayers no matter where they are and how it affects others (top and/or bottom of the escalator's landing, right in front of a busy restroom, narrow coridors and/or stairs, almost anywhere that impedes the flow of traffic), and some of them feel insulted when you don't complement their costumes right after you politely asked them to step aside when you want to get through.

My own personal experiences with attendee behavior this year were fairly positive, although being an artist, I was mostly catching glimpses of behavior in that one concentrated part of the convention. Most of the people I encountered were polite. My only problems with attendee behavior included 1. photographers who stopped people for cosplay pictures in front of our booth, which obviously obstructs not only traffic in general but traffic for my booth and 2. attendees who take photographs of the artwork I have on display. Fortunately, when I asked them not to do it they understood and put their camera away.

One nice thing is that I heard limited meme shouting, but again I was in the alley and so its possible there's less obnoxious behavior there as a whole.

With regards to staff interaction on site, The overwhelming majority of staff that I did see acted professional and courteous which I thought was great. My only one incident where I saw negative staff behavior was when a bunch of staffers had to navigate a congested part. I fully understand the need to use a raised voice because, Its a con and things get loud. The staffer began saying please move then quickly shifted to other phrases like "move now!" Personally, I think staff should continue to use the word please but maybe that's just me. I think its little things like this that can really soften things and can go a long way to making attendees feel happy.

Honestly though as a whole this is a relatively minor thing and as I said before, my staff interaction was positive and I left the convention feeling very good about staff overall.

This is generally why I disliked telling my former anime club about the con, because I knew I'd have to babysit many people because of this. A few of them (some are on this board actually) were mature enough to handle themselves and made me proud, but the rest...

Thank god most of them didn't have the money. They were the ones who didn't see the point in cosplaying at Otakon without a metal weapon. And this is AFTER I've shown them how crowded Otakon gets.

It's sad to see my age group regarded like this and even sadder to know most of it is true. Part of the problem I think is because a lot of people still consider anime = cartoons, therefore anime convention = cartoon convention so it's okay to let my 13 year old run around unsupervised.

Though I kinda disagree about the staff part. All the staff looked like they were doing their job AND having fun with it. One of the things I really enjoyed this year were actually the BCC staff, because while I did see really rude staff in the past, this year they were more 'OMG CAN I HAVE A PICTURE' like the rest of the attendees. I swear the one showing the way to the Dealers Room and the Artist Alley was the most pumped up guy I saw the entire con.

To those commenting on what I said...

Please, understand that this isn't my first convention. I've been a very dedicated congoer for six years now, attending various cons up the east coast. I was beyond excited for Otakon, as it's one of the biggest anime conventions in America and I'd heard so many wonderful things about it.

But it turned out to be the least enjoyable out of the cons I've attended in the past. It felt like the staff had no control over the traffic issues inside the BCC (Having explored there a bit, I firmly feel the BCC is more than capable of handling 30k+ people with no traffic issues, but for whatever reason, the Otakon staff decided the traffic setup they had at the con would be the most effective. Clearly, it wasn't.), and were pretty uncaring. Whenever I asked a staff member a question, they'd either respond curtly or just plain-old not know. I wasn't asking about rocket science -- it was basic information on where certain things were located, or how to get to certain places, since it seemed to be normal to block of the most effective way of getting to a location and rerouting everyone around it.

At Anime Boston, all the main "walkway areas" -- or any really high-traffic place used for locomotion -- are highly patrolled by security. Anyone stopping to do anything, be it to pose for photos or to meet up with friends -- was redirected to one of the non-walkway areas off the main drag. Yes, Otakon has more people, but the BCC is far larger than the Hynes Convention Center -- so, their space-to-attendee ratio is about the same. So why is it that walking through Anime Boston, I never have to physically come in contact with another person? This was the first con where I seriously feared for the safety of my cosplay because so many peoples' large props were catching on it, then they walk away without realizing it.

Were there no cleaning staff at the con? Yes, I understand that litter is normal. I expect to see wrappings from the dealer's room and whatnot lying around. But food? Water bottles? Gum, ground into the carpets? In some areas (especially the exit of the dealer's room near Hall E), it was absolutely, unbearably disgusting. And yes, being in six-inch platform boots, I did have to watch where I was walking. The women's bathrooms were, too -- some of the doors were so grimy that the locks weren't able to be used, leaving you to helplessly hold the door shut and pray some large otaku doesn't come barging in.

And yes, on Friday, the otafunk was already unbearable. Was it the heat, or do the majority of Otakon attendees not bathe? I might expect something of that degree on Sunday, but certainly not 10am on the first day of the con.

Yes, Otakon has more people, but the BCC is far larger than the Hynes Convention Center -- so, their space-to-attendee ratio is about the same. So why is it that walking through Anime Boston, I never have to physically come in contact with another person? This was the first con where I seriously feared for the safety of my cosplay because so many peoples' large props were catching on it, then they walk away without realizing it.

Well, I did notice the con funk on the few times that I got away from photosuite, and I commented that you even had con funk in the back access hallways where regular congoers aren't allowed, and it got nasty in some areas. I was told that the ventilation system pumped the air out of the meeting rooms and put it into the access hallways.

I'm not sure all of it can be blamed on age. I'm a teenager and I try to not suck, not stop in crowded places, not shout like an idiot, etc etc. Though... some teenagers just aren't used to being out on their own and having control of their own actions, so they go nuts. This is to be expected, though I really wish it weren't so widespread. Sometimes these kids, who are new to the con, just need to be told what's acceptable and what's not, as they think "oh! nerd convention! time to act like I do on the internet."

The traffic control wasn't that good either, tbh. People were not staying in their lanes on that congested skywalk with Panels 1 and 2, and they were stopping to take pictures (!!!) and it was awful.

As for the otafunk. I know it sucks, but we are human beings. We have sweat glands that tend to work in 100+ degree heat with this kind of humidity. It's not a matter of not showering or not putting deodorant on.

Yes, Otakon has more people, but the BCC is far larger than the Hynes Convention Center -- so, their space-to-attendee ratio is about the same. So why is it that walking through Anime Boston, I never have to physically come in contact with another person? This was the first con where I seriously feared for the safety of my cosplay because so many peoples' large props were catching on it, then they walk away without realizing it.

The hallways in the Hynes are less obstructed than the BCC. If the BCC moved the median sections (enclosed rooms in the middle of the hallways, with the bathrooms) to the outer glass walls then you'd get the bigger singular space you have at the Hynes. Also widening the bridge over Hopkins Pl. would help too.

We pretty much received annoyed/rude responses every time we asked volunteers questions. I understand that they probably get asked the same things a lot, but if the information isn't in the convention booklet or the website, people are going to keep asking them.

It's worth noting that if it's not in the convention booklet, and it has nothing to do with the specific section that staffer is working, there's a good chance that they don't have any more of an answer than you do. That's really more of an issue with the guidebook needing to tell people how to get into the Artist Alley while the Dealer's Room line is up than it is a staff issue.

Yeah, I had that problem waiting to get into Artist Alley on Sunday morning. I joked to the people around me that staff wouldn't be satisfied until we all just started grinding on each other. Whatever happened to those fire codes about having too many people in too small a space?

I saw on the Otakon site that there were 31,000+ attendees. What happened to the 25,000 cap? I would assume the cap was because by law that's the most they could have in the convention center. I know they did expand to different places (masquerade and into the Hilton), but still, you could barely move in the halls. I felt bad I just had to be rude myself, cut right in front of people, to get to the other side of the hallway.

We haven't had a cap since 2007. When we rearranged the layout, the fire marshall lifted the cap.

haters are hating everywhere here.

Otakon staff did great.

Most cosplayers are prissy assholes who think they are big hot ----. I've been cosplaying cons the last 2 years and have been going to cons since 03, i have seen this trend, some people like me cosplay because its fun, and it helps you mingle sometimes. Other cosplayers though, think they are just big badasses with their hundreds of dollars they spent on material and props and are just... grr.

Its a big freaking con people, people will bump into you. maybe YOU should watch where you are going before pointing fingers. Sure it might be their fault, but really? Are you really going to say they ment to bump into you?

Sure memes are annoying. Just deal with it. I hate marco polo and the game just as much as most of you, but i'm not a douche about it. Stop whining and ruining other people's fun. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean your right, be considerate of others.

Stop crying like babies, its a con, its for fun, if you don't like something don't be a part of it.

I'll give my two cents:

Staff: I only had one issue the entire weekend with one staffer who was either power tripping or didn't have any people skills. It was Friday, a little after noon at the Autograph section. I was trying to find the line for Mr. Johnny Yong Bosch and I asked this one staffer...I believe he was dealing with the issue of the Dealer's Room line but I couldn't find another staffer in the area. I asked, and he pretty much blew me off. So I then asked other members and they directed me towards the line. About ten minutes passed and this time the same staffer walked down the line and asked for the people with tickets to line up, when the person in front of me asked for the people who don't have tickets his reply was (yelling) "Get out of the line and get out of here. You don't have a ticket so don't waste mine and your time". Other than that one issue...the staff were great and helpful.

Members: For the most part, fine was always. A couple bad apples who push and shove people out of the way, but nothing too major.

We only encountered a few rude people, but they were pretty bad when we did. On Saturday, when we left the video game room, some guy came up and elbowed me in the arm. There was no one around, so it's not like we were in close proximity or anything. He just walked up, elbowed me in the arm, and then went off to the bathroom. My arm's still kind of sore. Then, at the Cosplay Burlesque show, we ran into the same kind of thing someone else has already mentioned. The group directly behind us was yelling some incomprehensible thing, repeatedly, throughout the entire show. Thankfully, we were close enough to the speakers that the show drowned them out most of the time, but they were horribly rude. Occasionally, when they calmed down a bit, they would insult the performers. We were in the front section, so they had to have been in line for at least 2+ hours, as we were. It just seems stupid to wait that long just to yell and throw insults.

Hmm... I... Remember stopping at the end of a hallway, and a lot of people trying to disrupt the escalator flow in front of the indoor fountains on Friday and Saturday, but other than that it was a usual convention environment for me. Sure, I bumped into a couple of people, and apologized quickly after realizing I did. Heck I might have apologized to a few people someone in front of me bumped into.

Things happen, inconveniences occur, but you still usually get to where you're going and that's what matters. Are you having fun? If so then good! Don't let all of the unpleasantness of a couple mongrels deter you from relishing memories.

... then again... Maybe people were too intimidated by the armor to be rude to me?... Heck if I know.

Sometimes, when I asked people to get out of the way of something because that was what I was assigned to do, people wouldn't listen to me. I have no idea if that was because of my speech or because I didn't shout, but it was quite frustrating, and I really would've started yelling if I had been there longer. Staff and gofers can be rude all on their own, of course, but sometimes people yell because asking quietly didn't work well on others.

I had no real problems, myself. People really are generally reasonable.

The only incident I've had at Otakon this year was actually with Artist Alley security, since I was selling in AA all weekend.

On Saturday, one of my friends hurt her foot, so I was trying to help her back to our hotel so she can rest and change into more comfortable shoes. The closest door, as well as the door closest to our hotel, was the "entrance" door. Neither of us knew that this door was supposed to be "entrance only", given that it was labeled both entrance AND exit on the map in the Otakon book and the fact that we've been exiting through that door all day on Friday without anyone complaining.

I just went out the door like normal, but this security guard got all huffy and told me the exit was on the OTHER side of the artist alley. I explained to her we were already here, my friend has a hurt foot and she's visibly hobbling, and this exit was actually really close to our hotel and I just needed to help her there. The guard started getting an attitude with me going "you can't change the rules!" Even after I pointed out that we had used this door as an exit all day on Friday, she seemed to get even more of an attitude, going as far as saying "in all this time you're standing here arguing, you could've gone out the other door!" Yeah, well, that's not the point! I'm not making my friend with a hurt foot hobble all the way across the artist alley just to use the correct exit and go around the convention center to our hotel. By this point, my friend had to sit because she was hurting so bad that she couldn't keep standing.

In the end, I had to get the AA staff to call in Special Ops. While we waiting, the security guard started playing it up sickly sweet to all the people coming into the AA, "welcome to the artist alley", "please enjoy yourselves", etc, all with a huge fake smile on her face while she muttered things about my friend and I under her breath, such as implying that we're a couple in a rather derogatory way. When the Special Ops person came, he offered to help my friend over to the elevator, which was a few feet away from the "entrance" (why couldn't the security guard have suggested that?). He was very nice and I appreciated all his help. But as my friend and I were leaving with him, the security guard called after us, "I hope you have a nice life!"

All in all, it was one of the WORST security experiences I've ever had. The only thing that comes even remotely close was the Anime Expo Artist Alley security.

In my opinion, and as I've often told a lot of "outsiders", the anime convention attendees are unlike any other large group attendees in that, while there are always some bad apples in every bunch, the anime attendees seem to have noticeably fewer of these.

I can't think of any other event that draws so many many people and yet has so few problems.

But I have to wonder if the driving factor behind some of the bad behavior isn't the added displeasure of cancelled panels, late starts, and schedule changes? (I know that these things are inevitable. But I also believe that most of them could be overcome.)

Not that a cancelled show should give anyone the right to be rude. But it may be pushing some over the line.

Another thing that I wanted to add, Artist Alley attendees were pretty rude and inconsiderate about leaving TRASH on my table. At one point I found an entire empty box of pocky that had been tossed on my table when I wasn't looking. But the worst part... there was a large trash can just a few feet away from my table!

Hi; as a cosplayer, I want to comment on this. When someone asks for a picture we generally don't have a whole lot of time to move to a better place without getting run over by the rivers of people flowing around. We generally hope we're in a decent spot but picture requests are incredibly spontaneous. Also, we take a lot of pride in the outfits we've put together, so some might be off-put by not having a comment (IMO that is being a bit over-sensitive), but really just having someone wanting a picture is more than enough of a compliment. On the flip side, I definitely wish to be asked for a picture first, there were a couple times this year where people would just snap-snap-snap without asking. There is kind've an unspoken cosplayer/photographer etiquette here, ask and we'll pose, and that's it. The quicker the shot the better.

Over the years, I've just chalked a lot of these things up as "normal con stuff" and ignored it (more or less)..

What I did notice a LOT more of this year were the following:

* STOP!! : People who will stop cosplayers (and cosplayers who do it) right in the middle of a high-traffic area to take pictures. I'd fault both parties for that.. the stoppers for stopping them mid-traffic and the stopees for actually stopping and not asking to move aside so people can get by.

* LINE JUMPING: There seemed to be epic amounts of line-jumping this year. I remember a few years back, Otakon put out a very strict line jumping policy and it was actually enforced. This year, I saw it happen quite a few times and the response I got when addressing with the staff was, essentially, "I didn't see it so it didn't happen.."

--

Also, unrelated, did anyone notice on Saturday afternoon, there was no security person at the entrance at the Sky Bridge checking badges? She was off to the side, looking down at the 100-level and chit-chatting with someone. Who knows how many people walked in without a badge for that time period.

...Also, unrelated, did anyone notice on Saturday afternoon, there was no security person at the entrance at the Sky Bridge checking badges? She was off to the side, looking down at the 100-level and chit-chatting with someone. Who knows how many people walked in without a badge for that time period.

...Also, unrelated, did anyone notice on Saturday afternoon, there was no security person at the entrance at the Sky Bridge checking badges? She was off to the side, looking down at the 100-level and chit-chatting with someone. Who knows how many people walked in without a badge for that time period.

Not only on the Sky Bridge, but the Charles Street Lobby entrances as well.

THIS^ I'm a high school history teacher myself and have picked up on the "under 20" immaturity at Otakon that has developed over this past few years. There were times at the con when I felt like I was teaching my first period freshman US History class. I'm not saying all teenagers are like this, but Otakon has definitely had a surge in younger, more immature attendees who are loud, rude and largely oblivious. My teacher side came out when I almost told group of young high school boys who were running and shoving through the line to "go to the office!". I laughed when I caught myself but it's true: Otakon has been getting more juvenile.

I'm definitely seeing a larger age gap between the staffers and attendees.

That's sort of funny, because someone commented to me that as an experienced con goer he had noticed fewer "kids" at the con this year.