Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Demonseed

Too many rude inconsiderate people

Cosplayers. They seem to act that it's their god-given right to pose and/or take a picture of other cosplayers no matter where they are and how it affects others (top and/or bottom of the escalator's landing, right in front of a busy restroom, narrow coridors and/or stairs, almost anywhere that impedes the flow of traffic), and some of them feel insulted when you don't complement their costumes right after you politely asked them to step aside when you want to get through.

Hi; as a cosplayer, I want to comment on this. When someone asks for a picture we generally don't have a whole lot of time to move to a better place without getting run over by the rivers of people flowing around. We generally hope we're in a decent spot but picture requests are incredibly spontaneous. Also, we take a lot of pride in the outfits we've put together, so some might be off-put by not having a comment (IMO that is being a bit over-sensitive), but really just having someone wanting a picture is more than enough of a compliment. On the flip side, I definitely wish to be asked for a picture first, there were a couple times this year where people would just snap-snap-snap without asking. There is kind've an unspoken cosplayer/photographer etiquette here, ask and we'll pose, and that's it. The quicker the shot the better.

The stupidity of blocking a high-traffic area to take photos NEVER ceases to amaze me. It seriously makes me despair for the future of fandom.

It really is this simple:

If you are stopped in a hallway or on the escalators, and someone wants to take your photo, say "Sure, let's just get somewhere less crowded", and then go there and by all means enjoy yourselves. Cosplay is awesome and appreciating it is great, but the lack of common sense shown by an increasing number of people is appalling.

If you're THAT self-involved that you cannot see how your actions cause problems for everyone else... well, it just shows a lack of respect for your fellow fan. I have seen morons stopping for photos at the bottom of escalators, in front of doors, and in the middle of the most congested areas of the con. It's stupid, it's unsafe, and it's discourteous.

This is why, starting this year, I have simply walked right through any idiots who block a path to take their photo. Sorry, the traffic has right of way. I encourage everyone to do the same -- if they've made an effort to get out of the way, then go around them, but if they're being self-involved jerks and causing disruption, they do not deserve your courtesy.

The stupidity of blocking a high-traffic area to take photos NEVER ceases to amaze me. It seriously makes me despair for the future of fandom.

If you are stopped in a hallway or on the escalators, and someone wants to take your photo, say "Sure, let's just get somewhere less crowded", and then go there and by all means enjoy yourselves. Cosplay is awesome and appreciating it is great, but the lack of common sense shown by an increasing number of people is appalling.

If you're THAT self-involved that you cannot see how your actions cause problems for everyone else... well, it just shows a lack of respect for your fellow fan. I have seen morons stopping for photos at the bottom of escalators, in front of doors, and in the middle of the most congested areas of the con. It's stupid, it's unsafe, and it's discourteous.

This is why, starting this year, I have simply walked right through any idiots who block a path to take their photo. Sorry, the traffic has right of way. I encourage everyone to do the same -- if they've made an effort to get out of the way, then go around them, but if they're being self-involved jerks and causing disruption, they do not deserve your courtesy.

Staff: I only had one issue the entire weekend with one staffer who was either power tripping or didn't have any people skills. It was Friday, a little after noon at the Autograph section. I was trying to find the line for Mr. Johnny Yong Bosch and I asked this one staffer...I believe he was dealing with the issue of the Dealer's Room line but I couldn't find another staffer in the area. I asked, and he pretty much blew me off. So I then asked other members and they directed me towards the line. About ten minutes passed and this time the same staffer walked down the line and asked for the people with tickets to line up, when the person in front of me asked for the people who don't have tickets his reply was (yelling) "Get out of the line and get out of here. You don't have a ticket so don't waste mine and your time". Other than that one issue...the staff were great and helpful.

I would be interested in getting a description of this staffer, because none of the staff in the autographs section should have behaved like that. The only tickets that anyone in the JYB lines would have had would be "return tickets", handed out to people after the line had already filled up so that they could return at a later time. This being the case, if anyone was asking for tickets, that means that it would have been a half hour after the session started, which was about an hour and a half too late to be trying to line up for the session anyways. Yelling (unless to make himself heard over the din of the crowd) would not be good, and the tone of that reply, assuming it was word for word accurate, was inappropriate, but the content of the message was accurate as if at that point you did not have a ticket, you wouldn't be getting in and it would be a waste of your time to stick around.

* LINE JUMPING: There seemed to be epic amounts of line-jumping this year. I remember a few years back, Otakon put out a very strict line jumping policy and it was actually enforced. This year, I saw it happen quite a few times and the response I got when addressing with the staff was, essentially, "I didn't see it so it didn't happen.."

I will say that whenever possible, we stop line-jumping, but in many cases it's too "he said, she said" for us to act on. Maybe they jumped in line, maybe they didn't. If someone brings us an accusation, I do try to sort it out and ask the people around whether they can confirm the story, and if the consensus is that this person slipped in, we do boot them, but often enough most of the people in the line are so unobservant or non-committal that I can't get a clear picture of the situation. I would very much recommend that everyone keep a mental picture of the people around them in the line and keep an eye out for changes.

From what I was told there was a very rude security officer (not a cop and not a staffer but BCC security) on Sunday that was yelling at everyone who was sitting on/near the fountain and threatened to call the cops and arrest people for loitering.

From what I was told there was a very rude security officer (not a cop and not a staffer but BCC security) on Sunday that was yelling at everyone who was sitting on/near the fountain and threatened to call the cops and arrest people for loitering.

I know what you mean. On Sunday around 3:00 security started going around with the moodiest moods going "Cons over now GTFO!!!" Really Con feed back goes until four right? So shouldn't we be able to stay till four?

I know I can't be the only person who was completely and utterly APPALLED at the condition we left the BCC in. I could not believe the trash everywhere. There is absolutely no reason for that, especially when there are plenty of trash cans everywhere, and they are emptied regularly. It would be nice in future years if we could all be a little more mindful of the people who have to clean up, and have more respect for the space that we are able to use each year.

I know what you mean. On Sunday around 3:00 security started going around with the moodiest moods going "Cons over now GTFO!!!" Really Con feed back goes until four right? So shouldn't we be able to stay till four?

I know I can't be the only person who was completely and utterly APPALLED at the condition we left the BCC in. I could not believe the trash everywhere. There is absolutely no reason for that, especially when there are plenty of trash cans everywhere, and they are emptied regularly. It would be nice in future years if we could all be a little more mindful of the people who have to clean up, and have more respect for the space that we are able to use each year.

I have to agree that being forced out of the convention center before 4:30 left a bad taste in my mouth. I was wearing a dark colored, thick costume and it was outrageously hot. They wouldn't even let me back in the door for a bit to cool off. WHY were they doing this to us? It's something I didn't understand, but was unhappy about.

The con was a completely overwhelming blast. I have never been to such a large convention before. It was crowded, the food was overpriced, some people kept slamming into my wings and/or blocking traffic with their picture taking, the Dealer's Room was awesome, the AA had SO much stuff I wanted, and the cosplays all varied in their awesomeness. Did I love Otakon? Absolutely! Will I be returning? Yes. But without winged costumes. XD I realize you simply cannot change the behavior of every person. I try to be as polite as possible, even when someone bumps into me. It's crowded!! And I didn't run into any problems with the staff, but I rarely interact with them in the first place. :3

I have to agree that being forced out of the convention center before 4:30 left a bad taste in my mouth. I was wearing a dark colored, thick costume and it was outrageously hot. They wouldn't even let me back in the door for a bit to cool off. WHY were they doing this to us? It's something I didn't understand, but was unhappy about.

The con was a completely overwhelming blast. I have never been to such a large convention before. It was crowded, the food was overpriced, some people kept slamming into my wings and/or blocking traffic with their picture taking, the Dealer's Room was awesome, the AA had SO much stuff I wanted, and the cosplays all varied in their awesomeness. Did I love Otakon? Absolutely! Will I be returning? Yes. But without winged costumes. XD I realize you simply cannot change the behavior of every person. I try to be as polite as possible, even when someone bumps into me. It's crowded!! And I didn't run into any problems with the staff, but I rarely interact with them in the first place. :3

They force you out so that we can safely dismantle the event, pack up 22 pods, a few large 18-wheeler trucks, and a bunch of panel vans full of *OUR* stuff, and so the dealers can pack up THEIR stuff, and the artists can get out THEIR stuff. And then we can have the decorators tear down the acres of pipe and drape and stack up all the chairs and have the a/v folks remove a few hundred thousand dollars worth of tech safely, and the stagehands dismantle stages and lighting, and have the cleaners get cracking -- all before midnight, when our lease is up.

They force you out so that we can safely dismantle the event, pack up 22 pods, a few large 18-wheeler trucks, and a bunch of panel vans full of *OUR* stuff, and so the dealers can pack up THEIR stuff, and the artists can get out THEIR stuff. And then we can have the decorators tear down the acres of pipe and drape and stack up all the chairs and have the a/v folks remove a few hundred thousand dollars worth of tech safely, and the stagehands dismantle stages and lighting, and have the cleaners get cracking -- all before midnight, when our lease is up.

Did anyone go to the Otakon-Dance at night? My girlfriend and I did on Friday and Saturday. Saturday I actually bought some glow gear for the rave since everyone else was doing so as well, but actually turned out to be a damn mistake. Did anyone buy those damn glowing sword/cane things? Man, those things are so cheaply made. I purchased one of those as well as glow bands. The bands were alright, but the canes/swords came apart after just a few minutes of movement/use. I saw 3 people drop theirs on the ground and break open, like mine eventually did. Here's where the word "inconsiderate" comes to play: The floor was almost COVERED with friggin' AA batteries from those canes, and some people almost luged from one end of the rave to the other while others cliff-dove to a perfect faceplant from tripping over them. I picked up whatever debri and batteries fell from mine and disposed of them properly, but a damn good amount of party-goers didn't and caused a hell of a mess. I'm not saying those things should be banned, rather, asking con-goers to be mindful of themselves and others.

That makes sense but what time does the con close on Sunday?

From the Convention Hours of Operation: "4:00PM - Otakon 2011 is over".

Con feedback is the only programming occurring after 3 PM, though, so it's always been my understanding that 3-4PM is a clearing-out hour. I'm not sure if that's official policy or not.

If you're not actually going to the feedback panel,what reason do you have to stay until 4pm? Be considerate and leave. If you actually intended on staying and helping or going to the panel,then by all means stay till 4pm. But the BCC is not your personal shade/air conditioner. If you have nothing better to do than stand around then leave.

Did anybody else have to endure Video Rooms full of hecklers this year? I only watched one thing (House on Saturday night) and half the audience thought they were RiffTrax, so I want to know if anyone else's video room experiences were that bad.

If you're not actually going to the feedback panel,what reason do you have to stay until 4pm? Be considerate and leave. If you actually intended on staying and helping or going to the panel,then by all means stay till 4pm. But the BCC is not your personal shade/air conditioner. If you have nothing better to do than stand around then leave.

What does this have to do with the "rudeness" factor? Well, consider these congoer's maturity level, or better yet, immaturity level. The attitude and vibes that I've been getting from a lot of the younger attendees are "me-me-me", and "gimmie-gimmie-gimmie". They also try and see how far they can push and get away with their attitudes, since their parents are not there to monitor them (I see parents or guardians drive up to the convention center to drop their kids off, and then drive away).

There are several issues that people had though. It has been mentioned that people who actually did want to go to the feed back session were prevented from doing so by security's moody antics. Also there we're many who were waiting for rides home who had no choice but to wait out in the heat. My whole idea here it to limit people to the lobbies and feed back area. Every where else will still be cleared of attendees. Now I realize that the Pratt St. Lobby is rather large but it is possible to limit people to the side with the stairs that lead up to Panel 3 which is where the feed back session takes place.

I started this thread. It was interesting to see what other people wrote and it's nice to know it's not just me overreacting. One post caught my eye. The person who said how polite con goers are, as in you can go up to anyone, start a conversation, and you feel like you've known the person forever. I've always said this myself. Maybe I'm just confused as nice as people are, they can also go to the other extreme and be rude, throwing trash everywhere, etc. I guess I agree with the other people who said it's just teenagers being let loose with no consideration for anyone but themselves. So, yes, I have to choice of not going to the con anymore and I very well may not. It just stinks that the reason why I don't want to go is because of the other con goers and not because of another reason.

As far as staff, though, it wasn't just one person, but there is one person I am mainly complaining about. I am pretty sure this is the same person I saw on staff at another convention who was very rude and was on a power trip. I guess all I can say is, it doesn't really matter and nothing can be done about it. If this person wants to act that way instead of trying to enjoy the con more with the people attending it, it's his lose.

Con feedback is the only programming occurring after 3 PM, though, so it's always been my understanding that 3-4PM is a clearing-out hour. I'm not sure if that's official policy or not.

Pretty much, unless you're at the Con Feedback or someplace else that is specifically active (like an autograph session that's gone a bit long and is still wrapping up), you should be on your way to the doors. It is not the time to be randomly loitering about inside the BCC. By 3PM most sections of the con have already started to pack things up, and bare in mind that people were still packing up late into the evening, even then.

Also there we're many who were waiting for rides home who had no choice but to wait out in the heat.

My recommendation if you need a lift is to wait in the lobby of one of the nearby hotels. There are several right across the street from the BCC that are well air-conditioned and won't kick you out. You should be able to reach the Hilton without even having to go outside.

The only really "rude" incident I had with another con-goer was on Friday night, when I was sitting off to the side of one of the hallways messing around with my guitar (I was cosplaying as Ryusuke from Beck, so I had my Epiphone Les Paul with me). I had been talking with a couple of guys who also played guitar when a group walked by us. One of the guys in the other group mentioned that my guitar was nice, to which one of his buddies replied, "That's not a guitar, that's just an Epiphone." It really struck a nerve because my fiancee saved up a lot of money to buy me that Epiphone as a birthday present, and it was overall just a rude comment to make. Not to mention that I also own a Gibson Explorer (like hell I was bringing that to the con; it took me eight months to pay it off!), and both guitars provide me with excellent results, so to base your opinion on a guitar solely on the brand name is just dumb. Plus, Gibson makes Epiphone guitars. Thankfully the guys I was talking to were a lot nicer, and basically said what an idiot people were for basing guitar quality solely on name brand.

The only really "rude" incident I had with another con-goer was on Friday night, when I was sitting off to the side of one of the hallways messing around with my guitar (I was cosplaying as Ryusuke from Beck, so I had my Epiphone Les Paul with me). I had been talking with a couple of guys who also played guitar when a group walked by us. One of the guys in the other group mentioned that my guitar was nice, to which one of his buddies replied, "That's not a guitar, that's just an Epiphone." It really struck a nerve because my fiancee saved up a lot of money to buy me that Epiphone as a birthday present, and it was overall just a rude comment to make. Not to mention that I also own a Gibson Explorer (like hell I was bringing that to the con; it took me eight months to pay it off!), and both guitars provide me with excellent results, so to base your opinion on a guitar solely on the brand name is just dumb. Plus, Gibson makes Epiphone guitars. Thankfully the guys I was talking to were a lot nicer, and basically said what an idiot people were for basing guitar quality solely on name brand.

I just googled Epiphone and it looks like pretty much any other guitar. Sure, some guitars can have a better sound to them but unless something is really off with the manufacturing, the person playing it is what matter. What an asshat. Oh and: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Epiphone_players

Also, reps for Beck :D

Maybe we could make a compromise here. Since con feed back goes till four I still believe that we should be able stay till four. In your case you need time to do the tear down in eight hours in a safe environment which is completely understandable. My idea here is why don't we just block off most of the areas and heard everyone into the lobbies with a path to the feed back area. That way at four you could boot everyone in minuets at four and still be able to work on the tear down by starting in the closed off areas.

This was my 11th year attending and the first time I was unhappy at Otakon. It is the first time I've noticed people being rude. I've always thought how awesome Otakon attendees were and how I've never had issues with anyone until this year. Also I spent most of the time going from one filled up room to another and felt like I didn't get to do much. It's like if you didn't get in line 1-2 hours early then you don't get in. Also the halls were way to crowded. All in all I think they should put the cap back info affect. I know its great that so many people want to come and that Otakon is doing so well but I think having that many people is just to much and causes problems.

As much as I love Otakon and I want to continue coming every year, if the problems continue (like not getting to do much because everything I go to is already filled) then I don't think I will be coming anymore.

Also I've noticed some of the staff getting testy at times but I think they did a wonderful job given all they had to put up with.

*STAFF HAT OFF*

I've been attending Otakon since 2001 and from 2001 until 2009 or so, I haven't experienced any rude people at Otakon, 2010 and this year (2011), I've noticed a big uptick of rude, inconsiderate people attending Otakon. I've had people run into me, or bump into me without saying "Excuse me." Trying to move through crowded areas and I'm yelling "Excuse me" in loud areas, no one wants to move, I've had people look at me and they see my staff shirt and badge and they still don't want to move. I need to squeeze in between people to get through and they get all angry and say "What's wrong with you?!?!" and I say "I'm sorry, but I did say excuse me and you two refused to move out of my way and I need to be somewhere." and they didn't say "sorry" instead, they complained some more.

I've seen people drop food on the floor by accident but they don't have the decent courtesy to tell a staff member so it can be cleaned up and nobody else could get hurt by slipping on the food that's left on the floor. I've seen people drop trash on the floor and there's a trash can literally just feet away from them. It's just insane.

I totally don't understand why people are so rude and inconsiderate currently.

*STAFF HAT ON*

This may be a bit off topic but the retail employee inside me can't resist...

*STAFF HAT OFF*

I've seen people drop food on the floor by accident but they don't have the decent courtesy to tell a staff member so it can be cleaned up and nobody else could get hurt by slipping on the food that's left on the floor. I've seen people drop trash on the floor and there's a trash can literally just feet away from them. It's just insane.

*STAFF HAT ON*

This may be a bit off topic but the retail employee inside me can't resist...

*STAFF HAT OFF*

*STAFF HAT ON*

This is something we have to deal with every day at work. I work at Sam's Club and as most know we have a cafe there and we have stuff like pizza, ice cream, soda, etc. People will just drop their food, stare at it, and walk away. Some don't even toss their trash away, they just leave it on the table. Believe it or not what I'm about to tell you really happens and more often that you think. About once a week some one will spill a FULL cup of soda and just leave it there. They don't even attempt to tell an associate, just walk off and leave it there for us to find. I mean seriously, what id some one slips on it and gets hurt? Well as far as I know, They don't care! As far as trash goes... You have know idea. (unless you've worked in retail before of course) Not only do they just toss it when there's a garbage can just a foot away but they seem to think it's a fun game of hide and seek and hide their trash every place imaginable.

*scratches head* Seriously?!?! O.O What's wrong with people these days...

I have worked in retail before, but the retail setting I worked in, people were polite and courteous enough to inform a employee if they spilled something.

Not a single one of us knows but if you ever find out just let us know. The current theory is a combination of laziness, selfishness, and stupidity.

Here's a quote I got from some ne:

"Common sense is not so common but stupidity is and it's spreading like a virus."

Ain't that the sad but honest truth in today's society.

The problem is that many people have a "I'm holier than thou" attitude. People will bump you, step on your feet, & if you say anything, cuss you out! I've worked in retail for years & I see it all the time. At the store I work at, I've seen kids take toys & or other items, pull them off the hooks & leave them in the middle of the floor for someone to trip on. If you do ask the parents politely to pick up after their kids, many times they'll reply, "That's not my job!", "I have better things to do!" or the ultimate rude reply, "Screw you!" So if that's how the parents act, how can we expect better of the children, be it in a retail or a convention setting?

I have worked in retail before, but the retail setting I worked in, people were polite and courteous enough to inform a employee if they spilled something.

I agree with the fact that these adolescents don't know how to handle themselves at a convention. Some of them think they can get away with absolutely anything; cursing at people, heckling in video rooms, making death threats against people who raise their hand more than once at a panel, telling off Staff.. it's ridiculous. Excuse my harshness, but I hope the day comes where one of these little brats piss off the wrong person, and they find themselves knocked on their backside in the middle of the con. I'm not trying to promote violence here, I'm just hoping these little jerks get put in their place.

Just because you're away from mommy and daddy for the weekend doesn't mean you have the right to act like a jackass.

All these teens must be from the "sheltered" generation meaning even a simple spank is child abuse and the kid can send their mom off to prison with some good white lies about what was once simple discipline. I mean hey, I grew up on spankings and getting chased with wooden spoons and I'm not scarred for life, nor am I in the least bit violent.

Some adults, who should know better, are as bad if not worse than some of the kids that attend. Rudeness is not limited to the young. I've seen adults get snotty with staff & other con goers, cut in line, rush in hallways, curse out others, ignore people when spoken to. So rudeness does cut across all ages.

I think that's what it comes down to: a lack of discipline in today's society. I first attended Otakon in 2004 when I was 16--I went alone, and I didn't cause trouble for anyone. In fact, I was extra polite--probably overly so at times--because I had literally never been around THAT many people before, and I was afraid that I would say or do something that would be offensive. Hell, while the other attendees were dropping down in the DR to eat their lunches I was going off to less crowded portions of the BCC to eat mine, so that I wouldn't be in anyone's way. Granted, I had the benefit of a brown bag lunch courtesy of mom, but my point is that I was THAT afraid of being an inconvenience to someone. I'm only 23, so it hasn't been that long since those days, and yet I see a drastic difference in teenage behavior.

There was actually another incident this year that I had forgotten about until my fiancee reminded me. We were going to the Johnny Yong Bosch/Stephanie Sheh signing at the Bandai booth on Friday. We got in line, and were basically just waiting for the line to run its course. This girl, who was probably in her late teens, comes up and stands right in front of my fiancee. My fiancee simply said, "Um, excuse me, if you're trying to get in line, it's back there" and pointed to the end of the line. The girl gave her this disgusted look and nastily replied with, "I didn't know you were in line!" (nevermind the fact that there were several people behind us at this point). As she was walking off, we overheard her refer to my fiancee as a bitch. Maybe my slang is a bit rusty these days, but last I checked, the person cutting in line would qualify as the "bitch", not the person who was simply--and politely--defending their position in line.

Some adults, who should know better, are as bad if not worse than some of the kids that attend. Rudeness is not limited to the young. I've seen adults get snotty with staff & other con goers, cut in line, rush in hallways, curse out others, ignore people when spoken to. So rudeness does cut across all ages.

I posted this on another thread, but from the perspective of a teenager who has been attending Otakon since 2004 (and had to tell off multiple newbie friends being jackwads at-con, always a fun experience)...

I feel like some kids think etiquette and common courtesy is too ~conformist~ for an anime convention. Most of these kids have never been in such a crowded place with people who share their interests before, so they tend to go crazy and think everyone is like-minded, then flip out when people are not. Basically, they think that Otakon is not real life, but a separate dimension. Also, the lack of parents is a common factor that causes issues; I feel like a lot of the kids at-con have never been let out of their parents' sight in such an environment, so they tend to let loose and go wild because they no longer fear retribution. As such... parents, please judge your kids' maturity before letting them off at the door. If you have to tell them off often in public places, they're probably a nuisance to others.

Yeah, I've been a nuisance at con before when I was young and inexperienced, and I publicly apologize for that. I try to be as polite as I can, so please do not judge the entire group. ^_^

Another thing that bothered me was at the rave when people kept bumping into me without saying excuse me. I know it's the rave, but still, manners can't be used?

I just googled Epiphone and it looks like pretty much any other guitar. Sure, some guitars can have a better sound to them but unless something is really off with the manufacturing, the person playing it is what matter. What an asshat.

Also, reps for Beck ;)

In addition to lack of discipline I think it's also due to the presence of mass media and it's heavy influence on teen culture.

No, blaming the mass media is a cop-out. Not that it isn't a factor, but the parents need to teach kids rules when they're young, and by the time you're 12 or 13, you should be able to conduct yourself properly in public space. There is simply no excuse for the sort of behavior we've seen lately -- blaming it on SURVIVOR or JERSEY SHORE is horse-hockey.

In addition to lack of discipline I think it's also due to the presence of mass media and it's heavy influence on teen culture.

No, blaming the mass media is a cop-out. Not that it isn't a factor, but the parents need to teach kids rules when they're young, and by the time you're 12 or 13, you should be able to conduct yourself properly in public space. There is simply no excuse for the sort of behavior we've seen lately -- blaming it on SURVIVOR or JERSEY SHORE is horse-hockey.