Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Demonseed

Too many rude inconsiderate people

In addition to lack of discipline I think it's also due to the presence of mass media and it's heavy influence on teen culture.

No, blaming the mass media is a cop-out. Not that it isn't a factor, but the parents need to teach kids rules when they're young, and by the time you're 12 or 13, you should be able to conduct yourself properly in public space. There is simply no excuse for the sort of behavior we've seen lately -- blaming it on SURVIVOR or JERSEY SHORE is horse-hockey.

..... I know this is waaaaaaay off-topic, but "horse-hockey" ftw. New favorite expression.

I also hope you are aware that this has conjured nothing but various mental images of a variety of horses attempting to play an equine hockey..... on ice.

Actually, it's from M*A*S*H, and was a favorite expression of Colonel Potter. Meant about what you thought it meant. :)

Back on topic. :)

This is why, starting this year, I have simply walked right through any idiots who block a path to take their photo. Sorry, the traffic has right of way. I encourage everyone to do the same -- if they've made an effort to get out of the way, then go around them, but if they're being self-involved jerks and causing disruption, they do not deserve your courtesy.

This is why, starting this year, I have simply walked right through any idiots who block a path to take their photo. Sorry, the traffic has right of way. I encourage everyone to do the same -- if they've made an effort to get out of the way, then go around them, but if they're being self-involved jerks and causing disruption, they do not deserve your courtesy.

It'll take some doing for me to do this. I've been so hard-wired to stop for photo takers, but I'm with you. Perhaps my sweaty mass in their picture will get the point across? -_-

I've actually done this, I was in a rush to get to somewhere and when I went on the skybridge that connects the old half with the new half of the BCC and it was filled with people just stopping to take photographs, I just walked right in front of them and when they got angry I simply told them basically "This is a highly inappropriate area to stop and take pictures in, this is a high traffic area with people trying to get somewhere and staff who need to be in a specific area by a specific time is held up and inconvenienced by you taking pictures in the middle of the traffic flow."

It'll take some doing for me to do this. I've been so hard-wired to stop for photo takers, but I'm with you. Perhaps my sweaty mass in their picture will get the point across? :P

It'll take some doing for me to do this. I've been so hard-wired to stop for photo takers, but I'm with you. Perhaps my sweaty mass in their picture will get the point across? :(

*SNIP*

Last year at Otakon I actually had to push someone (not hard) because he and his friend stopped at the bottom of an escalator and there were people behind me. I felt bad, but it was part instinct and I wasn't about to get crushed by the people behind me.

O.O They actually STOPPED at the bottom of an escalator? That is not only just plain stupid IMO, that's also very dangerous and could potentially cause a safety hazard so don't feel bad if you needed to do that, I would've done the same thing and if they got angry with me I would tell them that they should NOT have stopped at the bottom of an escalator.

It'll take some doing for me to do this. I've been so hard-wired to stop for photo takers, but I'm with you. Perhaps my sweaty mass in their picture will get the point across? :(

If someone does this and there is absolutely no way for me to get around either the photographer or cosplayer, you better believe I'm walking through it. Parallel to traffic people, it's not hard. If the light or glare is bad, move somewhere else out of traffic. If you're looking to take pictures of cosplayers, hang out in more open areas and wait for them to walk by. That makes it easier than seeing something awesome in a crowded or narrow area. Speaking for myself, when I'm cosplaying I like to avoid high traffic areas at all costs to make sure my costume doesn't get crushed or pulled or ruined in any way.

Last year at Otakon I actually had to push someone (not hard) because he and his friend stopped at the bottom of an escalator and there were people behind me. I felt bad, but it was part instinct and I wasn't about to get crushed by the people behind me.

Every year we have been at the BCC, I have had to remind people not to stop at the top or bottom of escalators to take a photo. I confess that lately I've gotten less....kind? about how I inform them of their dangerous stupidity.

Every year we have been at the BCC, I have had to remind people not to stop at the top or bottom of escalators to take a photo. I confess that lately I've gotten less....kind? about how I inform them of their dangerous stupidity.

If it happens every year, then you have every right to be less kind and more blunt. It enforces the awareness of the hazard and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm also older, crankier, and usually in a hurry. These kids need to get the hell off my lawn. (waves cane menacingly)

haters are hating everywhere here.

Otakon staff did great.

Most cosplayers are prissy assholes who think they are big hot ----. I've been cosplaying cons the last 2 years and have been going to cons since 03, i have seen this trend, some people like me cosplay because its fun, and it helps you mingle sometimes. Other cosplayers though, think they are just big badasses with their hundreds of dollars they spent on material and props and are just... grr.

Its a big freaking con people, people will bump into you. maybe YOU should watch where you are going before pointing fingers. Sure it might be their fault, but really? Are you really going to say they ment to bump into you?

Sure memes are annoying. Just deal with it. I hate marco polo and the game just as much as most of you, but i'm not a douche about it. Stop whining and ruining other people's fun. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean your right, be considerate of others.

Stop crying like babies, its a con, its for fun, if you don't like something don't be a part of it.

If it happens every year, then you have every right to be less kind and more blunt. It enforces the awareness of the hazard and there's nothing wrong with that.

Staff: I only had one issue the entire weekend with one staffer who was either power tripping or didn't have any people skills. It was Friday, a little after noon at the Autograph section. I was trying to find the line for Mr. Johnny Yong Bosch and I asked this one staffer...I believe he was dealing with the issue of the Dealer's Room line but I couldn't find another staffer in the area. I asked, and he pretty much blew me off. So I then asked other members and they directed me towards the line. About ten minutes passed and this time the same staffer walked down the line and asked for the people with tickets to line up, when the person in front of me asked for the people who don't have tickets his reply was (yelling) "Get out of the line and get out of here. You don't have a ticket so don't waste mine and your time". Other than that one issue...the staff were great and helpful.

It really is this simple:

If you are stopped in a hallway or on the escalators, and someone wants to take your photo, say "Sure, let's just get somewhere less crowded", and then go there and by all means enjoy yourselves. Cosplay is awesome and appreciating it is great, but the lack of common sense shown by an increasing number of people is appalling.

If you expect to sit in silence and watch the Trigun movie from the first row while everyone else in the room does their best to avoid being noticed by you, then stay the hell in your house and have your parents bring you cheetos and mountain dew so you'll never have to leave your La-Z-Boy. /RANT

If you expect to sit in silence and watch the Trigun movie from the first row while everyone else in the room does their best to avoid being noticed by you, then stay the hell in your house and have your parents bring you cheetos and mountain dew so you'll never have to leave your La-Z-Boy. /RANT

So you are okay with people screaming Meme's during a showing, being a peanut gallery and just being a general disturbance during a showing?

While it sounds like one or two Otakon crowds have taken it too far, this has happened during most of the animes/videos I've seen at conventions. But that's why I go!

I don't go for a quiet experience, where I can take in the movie in peace; I go to watch it with other fans and hear what they have to say, which means calling out comments and questions in the middle of the movie and talking to your friends.

When I watched Howl's Moving Castle at Katsucon years ago, the entire audience cat-called and whistled at Howl whenever he was on screen. And that was the fun of it! When I watched Loveless at Otakon, everyone had a lot to say during any and all moments that hinted at a homosexual, underage relationship between the two main characters... which was about every five minutes so we were a very talkative crowd that night. But the shared experience of the movie and the hilarious commentary of the crowd is why I watch videos at conventions.

Screaming out meme's is taking things a step too far but I have never attended a video screening at a con that was completely silent.

While it sounds like one or two Otakon crowds have taken it too far, this has happened during most of the animes/videos I've seen at conventions. But that's why I go!

I don't go for a quiet experience, where I can take in the movie in peace; I go to watch it with other fans and hear what they have to say, which means calling out comments and questions in the middle of the movie and talking to your friends.

When I watched Howl's Moving Castle at Katsucon years ago, the entire audience cat-called and whistled at Howl whenever he was on screen. And that was the fun of it! When I watched Loveless at Otakon, everyone had a lot to say during any and all moments that hinted at a homosexual, underage relationship between the two main characters... which was about every five minutes so we were a very talkative crowd that night. But the shared experience of the movie and the hilarious commentary of the crowd is why I watch videos at conventions.

Screaming out meme's is taking things a step too far but I have never attended a video screening at a con that was completely silent.

Well theres a difference between sharing commentary between your friends and attempting a bad version of mst3k and having your voice so loud that people 8 rows back can hear you.

Also premieres are a different class of video all together. A lot of people haven't seen it at all and thats what they are going for, not for someone to shout out whats going to happen next just for the sake of attention whoring.

An example of a well behaved premier, the madoka premier. Everyone knows that you have to watch the first three episodes and there are were a lot of people that saw the subs and knew what happens, but not one person said it, that i could hear till it actually happened. That I have no problem with. Its when you are making a general ass of yourself just for the sake of having the room look at you. Which seems to be a syndrome among the OMG IR RANDUM generation

I'm not sure all of it can be blamed on age. I'm a teenager and I try to not suck, not stop in crowded places, not shout like an idiot, etc etc. Though... some teenagers just aren't used to being out on their own and having control of their own actions, so they go nuts. This is to be expected, though I really wish it weren't so widespread. Sometimes these kids, who are new to the con, just need to be told what's acceptable and what's not, as they think "oh! nerd convention! time to act like I do on the internet."

The traffic control wasn't that good either, tbh. People were not staying in their lanes on that congested skywalk with Panels 1 and 2, and they were stopping to take pictures (!!!) and it was awful.

As for the otafunk. I know it sucks, but we are human beings. We have sweat glands that tend to work in 100+ degree heat with this kind of humidity. It's not a matter of not showering or not putting deodorant on.

Thank goodness for this comment. Ironically, the immature, loudmouthed behavior I saw and heard did not come from teenagers but from males on the 20-30 year old range. Even my sixteen year old son was with two eighteen year old girls, but he was more mature and responsible than the two (and I noticed this even with the way the three conducted themselves inside our hotel room [i was the supervising parent]). And I love the parents! I was able to talk to some parents as well (one had a daughter who was still sewing a cosplay Thursday night).

I am scratching my head when it comes to complaints about staff, since I found the staff and volunteers to be the nicest, most polite and courteous individuals at the con (even during the long line for Chemistry, I was so impressed with the way staff handled it. Even the lady who kept reassuring people that they would get in, she did not really have to do that. The line was handled very well). I had no complaints except for one thing: staff gave my sixteen year old son an eighteen and up wristband and he was able to watch Psycho Gothic Lolita (I asked him if he was asked for identification and he said no)! Thank goodness he got bored with it and left shortly to go back to the hotel room. He did not attend any other 18 and up events despite having the wristband (I know because I was at the hotel room and I saw him come back relatively early at night [early for the adult events]). It was just his eighteen year old friend who was telling him of the gory scenes in the movie. Before the three left to enjoy the con during the weekend, I told my son to behave, to make sure that they do not conduct themselves like the more annoying attendees. To staff and volunteers who hand out the wristbands, just because there is someone with an eighteen year old, that does not necessarily mean that that individual is also eighteen. Please always ask for identification.

Funk? Honestly, the weather that weekend was terrible! Even with shower, deodorant, cologne, expect to stink in that humidity. You would have to shower so many times during the day with that type of weather. I usually love to paddleboat around the Inner Harbor, but this was one weekend that I did not do that because of the heat and humidity. The hotel room was my refuge.

No problem from the staff for me eather. They where all very nice and conciderate like the Girl in the Chemestry line. But gettting my 18+ band was a pain even though i'm 25. I had to show my ID which I understand as the rule, But They even had me remove my wig just to be sure it was me in the photo.

I have to add to the movie event conversation - it's one of my favorite things in the world to see movie premiers at Otakon (and conventions in general) because of the energy and enthusiasm of the fans in the theater with me. I saw The Girl Who Leapt Through Time when the dub premiered a few years ago. Watching it alone, there were a few scenes that pulled a chuckle out of me or made me tear up a little. But in a huge room full of other people, we were all roaring with laughter when Makoto gets hit in the face with her alarm clock two minutes in. The whole movie was like that and I loved it - everything was a hundred times more intense. Yeah, we'd sometime miss part of the dialog because the "audience participation" was a little loud, but it was rarely something vital, and always still easy to enjoy the rest of the film.

The bad MST3King is just.. sort of a part of convention video rooms everywhere. Some of us find it funny. Some people don't know how to conduct themselves and just do it for personal attention, but others do it to get a laugh out of the room so we all enjoy ourselves, and believe me, I certainly appreciate it. Besides, if I want to watch the anime in a perfectly quiet setting, I have plenty of chances for that at home away from the convention.

Not everybody likes it, and I get that. But it happens and it's going to keep happening as long as anybody ever laughs at something that somebody shouts out during a movie. It's the same as going to the midnight premier of a movie like Harry Potter, you're going to get a really high-energy crowd and there are people who just can't contain that energy for two and a half hours without expressing it somehow. They'll laugh, they'll cheer, they'll do cat-calls and whistles when a sexy character has a random shower scene. We're all excited to be a part of the convention, and as long as they're not shouting out obscenities or solicitations, I don't have any issue with it.

The rules for public viewing are simple.

A public theater is NOT your private living room.

You are there to watch the movie. You are not there to participate in a live commentary unless that is made clear at the beginning -- the DEFAULT mode is to respect your fellow movie-goers and shut the hell up, don't talk on your cel or do other rude things that make it impossible for others to enjoy the presentation. You know, like it says at the beginning of EVERY movie shown in theaters (and has for at least a decade).

It's fine when the room spontaneously cheers, gasps, etc. -- it's NOT fine to inflict your running commentary on the rest of the audience. If the only way you can enjoy the show is to make a public ass of yourself and ruin it for others, then do your movie-watching at home.

i treat the movies at Ota like I would at my local AMC theater and the following should hold true to the others (Maybe Ota should see about those "silence is golden" things?);

1. No talking during the movie. "SILENCE IS GOLDEN!"

2. No TEXTING during the movie. Your life is not gonna end if you can't text for more than 30 seconds.

3. If your gonna have your cellphone on, turn the sound off and out it on vibrate. If you gotta make a phone call or take one, GO OUTSIDE the room

There is nothing more frustrating than to go to a movie and have some a-hole or group spoil the experience for everyone. I don't go to a movie to hear memes, running commentary or what's going to happen next. I just wanna relax & enjoy the show!! As the poster directly above me said, "Silence IS Golden"!!!

I'll stress again that the problem is the would-be-comedians are intruding on a public viewing -- a viewing, not an interactive event. If you're at an event where film snarking and public commentary is an expected part of the event, it can be a blast. But there are no such events at Otakon. Viewings are for viewing; they aren't interactive. Maybe we should try a pilot "Bring Your Own Commentary Track" event.

It IS fun to snark about movies "live" -- that's where Mystery Science Theatre 3000 comes from. And we've all done it, sitting around a movie we've seen a million times, making wisecracks with our friends.

But here's the thing: it takes a great deal of talent and skill and work to be funny beyond your personal little circle; MST3K was not done off the cuff, but was written over many viewings and then performed for camera. Same with our own Mystery Anime Theater group. One of the reasons they stopped was that it was an enormous amount of work to produce a single event, and they just didn't have the required amount of time to do it right.

And unfortunately, without that planning, talent, and sheer work, you are most likely just a loudmouth who *thinks* he's funny.

Reading these last few posts, it's a shame that we can't institute the Alamo Drafthouse movie rules at Otakon. I've stopped going to movie theaters (and anime showings, etc) for reasons as the ones mentioned here. They have a great no texting/talking rule for all their theaters; some of their commercials are on Youtube.

I love watching movies in theaters and a group because the spontaneous audience reactions are great. I remember when I saw Welcome to the Space Show last year, there's a scene near the end where the female lead just all out starts kicking butt, and the audience erupted into applause. And I was bawling my eyes out at Hoshi o Ou Kodomo and am not ashamed to admit it!

But both of those movies would have been really ruined for me if someone had been talking constantly during them, and I'm very grateful nobody was.

I love watching movies in theaters and a group because the spontaneous audience reactions are great. I remember when I saw Welcome to the Space Show last year, there's a scene near the end where the female lead just all out starts kicking butt, and the audience erupted into applause. And I was bawling my eyes out at Hoshi o Ou Kodomo and am not ashamed to admit it!

But both of those movies would have been really ruined for me if someone had been talking constantly during them, and I'm very grateful nobody was.

I must say i agree with you

the only time i liked it when someone was mean was in the dealers room

a cosplayer cosplaying as agito yelled " F**K " in my ear.

i kinda liked that xD

If you really want to have a good time at Otakon:

STOP LOOKING AT THE GROUND AND CELL-/SMART PHONES AND START WATCHING WHERE YOU ARE WALKING!!

1- You won't notice the trash.

2- You will start to notice how some people spend mucho bucks on making a costume, while others (Narutards) will buy a headband, put it on, and call it a costume.

3- You will actually know what/where you are doing/going.

4- You (GASP!!) won't bump into as many people and can avoid most costumes/accessories.

This has been a public service announcement.

Thank you.

Videogame Hogs: Once some of these people gets their hands on one of the videogames in the Video Game room, they will not give others a chance to play with it as well.

I'll stress again that the problem is the would-be-comedians are intruding on a public viewing -- a viewing, not an interactive event. If you're at an event where film snarking and public commentary is an expected part of the event, it can be a blast. But there are no such events at Otakon. Viewings are for viewing; they aren't interactive. Maybe we should try a pilot "Bring Your Own Commentary Track" event.

I hate having to walk out of something I want to see, just to get away from the hecklers. They ruin the experience for everyone. I wish more could be done about getting rid of them, permanently.

TBH- this is likely the most equitable solution for the hecklers. Many of my friends are.... yes.... I'll admit it.... hecklers. *gasp* Scandalous, I know. But, let's face it; you have thousands of people who are hyped up on massive amounts of energy drinks and obscene levels of sugar consumption to combat a lack of responsible sleep through the weekend. The end result is scores of hyper people. Give hyper people an acceptable channel for them to vent that energy in a fun way, and they often will.

Yes, I know, some of you are going to cry, "That's what the rave is for!" or "D'uh! Go to games and DDR or play that crazy drum game!" For some people, that can work, but not everyone is into that sort of activity.

If not a "Bring Your Own Commentary Track," might I suggest bringing back a sanctioned MST3K style event. Perhaps, to alleviate some of the strain, shorter films could be selected (*less material necessary), multiple groups could tag team to cut down on the work load for one group, or local improv groups could be invited in to screen the film?

Being "hyped up" is no excuse for rude behavior.

How about the next time it happens, we shut down the film and just let everyone listen to the jerks who don't understand how to behave in public? As it stands, they can -- and SHOULD -- be ejected under the disruptive behavior policy. Had I caught them, rest assured they would be marched to the door, or they'd be pleading their case before the con chair.

Catering to fools and inconsiderate people does not make the con a better place.

As for your suggestions on ways to allow that release valve...they're worth exploring, but they are limited by practicality. Improv takes a TON of work, and the MST3K approach requires hundreds of hours behind the scenes to make it look spontaneous. Most of the people making comments and heckling are simply not funny enough to carry it off; actual performers generally don't partake in such nonsense, not in a public viewing at least, because performers HATE rude audiences who don't respect them enough to shut up and enjoy the show. While the idea of bringing in "local improv groups" to riff on anime sounds interesting, I suspect that there simply aren't enough of them and the subject matter is sufficiently nerdy and specific that you'd find a very limited pool. Worth taking a look, of course.

Thing is, performing snarky commentary is hard work, and doing it well requires talent, skill, depth of knowledge, and timing. Making it up spontaneously among your inner circle of friends is a very different thing -- and clearly, people generally do not appreciate it when someone's private fun intrudes on a public viewing. Snarkiness doesn't always scale well.

The old Mystery Anime Theatre 3000 group, by the way, is my primary source for understanding how much work is required -- well, that and a little panel time with the original MST3K team at a con not too long ago. Out of deference to our home grown version, I'd be reluctant to allow someone else to fill those shoes, but whoever approached us would need to prove their worth first. Anything like that at Otakon would mean a packed 2800-seat room, most likely, and thus NOT the place for someone who doesn't know what they're doing. Sadly, the MAT3K crew has pretty much said they simply don't have the time to do it right every year, and have thus been retired for some time. If we were to lure them out of retirement, it would have to be something special, like a big milestone anniversary event.

What *might* be a viable experiment, though, is a small viewing room -- let's call it "Satellite of Love Jr" -- where anyone can go and riff, and where that's expected. I predict that it will be very popular at first due to curiosity, but afterwards we'll get feedback that the comments weren't that funny, that mostly it was people being rude and making obvious comments and shouting over each other, and that they'd prefer we use the room for something else.

Either way, given how many complaints we've had about that sort of behavior this year, expect a bit more attention to the issue next year. (Heck, I may even get personally involved, just for the satisfaction of reducing the jerk factor.)