Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TrueBlade3754

Fan Parodies

What did you guys think of the fan parodies this year?

I am the "executive producer" of AMV Salad series.

The parodies, in whole this year, were SO MUCH better!

Having almost all new entries helped a lot.

Anyway, watch out for AMV Salad 6...it's gonna be better than 5 for sure...

I missed them this year! They were on my list to go see as I do every year but I always ended up going somewhere else haha.

Love ReDeath sad about the drop in pimp Gendos dancing in the front. They are a large part of some of my favorite memories of my first Otakon.

Loved AMV Salad as usual, but I have to say I didn't think the Sailor Moon abridged movie preview was all that funny.

This was my first time attending them, and I really loved the content for Friday Night. AMV Salad was great, loved seeing DBZ Abridged with a larger group of people, and appreciated the effort that went into the opening video.

Good mix of programming. Can't wait for Next year's.

AMV Salad was great as usual. Although I didn't quite enjoy the Slayers abridged parody. I found it somewhat painful to sit through. I admit I am not familiar with the series, but the jokes did consist of mostly Dungeons and Dragons references.

Personally, if there's one problem with the fanparody block (besides wishing that Fanboy Soze was shown later, as I would have liked to seen that one in its entirety), it's the lack of This Is Otakudom this year (as that's pretty much an Otakon tradition). I wonder why it wasn't scheduled for this year's Otakon. The three most likely reasons IMO:

1. It's being retired from the fanparody rotation (I doubt it, since Evangelion: ReDeath is older than Otakudom by a year);

2. To give Fanboy Soze (the new fanparody by the creator of This is Otakudom) a chance to shine;

3. The amount of premieres at this year's Otakon prevented it from making the schedule.

You're pretty much correct on at least a couple aspects of Otakudom's absense. It being retired isn't necessarily the case, but Scott, who is its creator, as well as now the fanparody organizer, worked his BUTT off to get new things in this year. Initially, there is meant to be a 'classic' night and a 'premiere' night, but due to so many things being offered to show, more premieres made their debut. Redeath is a phenomenon all its own and won't be going anywhere anytime soon due to its timelessness I think, and while Otakudom is a staple for me as well every year, I think that the benefits outweighed the loss, generally. It's giving more variety to the fanparodies, and that's a good thing I believe. I do however wish it were still there ;) It and Redeath are the reason I got off my butt and made clips for AMV Salad for the last 3 years to get into parodies ;)

Now we just have to work even harder to rise to the claim that AMVS 6 will be better than AMVS 5... Caffeine IV ready to go!

Gaelstrom Productions

I missed the beginning of the AMV salad. Does anyone know where I might be able to catch it?

Didn't get to see either of them this year T_T

Wish I did but by the time we go to it the line was so looooonnngggg. So we went and watch something else. Quick in 10 words or less someone recap for me?! and I hope there wasnt a documentary sneaking in like there was at Otakon 2010s

I saw most of the Friday night Fan parodies, the FullMetal alchemist one was really funny. I liked the Kampfer one too, even though I never even heard of the series up until that point. As usual DBZ Abridged was HILARIOUS.

I thought the `IdeOn/Off` parody was awesome. It was apparent that whoever came up with that parody absolutely loved the source material - only a real fan could skewer a show that thoroughly. Great use of disco tunes, too. (I never expected ABBA and Otakon to mix so well!)

Hi!

This is Scott A Melzer, the department head for fan parodies. I want everyone to know that I really appreciate the feedback. Fan Parodies for Otakon 2010 pretty much sucked (mostly for technical reasons which were way out of our control), but all the feedback helped make this past year's SO much better.

I want to respond to all the questions, and if anyone has specific suggestions please write to me at smelzer at otakorp.org.

1) "This Is Otakudom" We don't "retire" any parodies, we try to have a "classic" and "new" night. However, I worked my ass off tracking down new projects and quickly found that we had SO much new stuff (plus feedback last year was overwhelmingly "show us new stuff!") that we changed it to two nights of "new". We try to rotate the older stuff on the "classic" night (which should return in 2012) so that people can see stuff they liked in the past, but there's a lot of it and you don't want to show the same thing over and over again. The exception is "Evangelion ReDeath". We're pretty sure we'd get death threats if we DIDN'T show it. We tried something new this year: play the "sing a-long" version and encourage people to dance to Gendou's theme, sing the songs, and mosh pit during the closing credits. I was overwhelmed when everyone did it. I've never seen 1,800 people singing "Bohemian Rhapsody" or slam dancing in costume in a mosh pit at a video screening. Awesome.

So, we didn't play "This Is Otakudom" for three reasons. 1) It's been played EVERY year since 2001, and I thought people were getting tired of it. The last screening (we did it at another time, not in the block) didn't go so well. Not many people came, so I thought let's put it in rotation instead of just show it every year. 2) We had a LOT of stuff to show, so there wasn't much room. 3) I was the director and head writer on "This Is Otakudom" and now I'm in charge of the block. I didn't want to be accused of being self-promoting or other unfair stuff, so we didn't show our own stuff. However, "Fanboy Soze" was brand new so I thought it could be shown. I'm very very glad to hear that people missed it and it'll likely return next year. It was kind of ironic, since 2011 was "Otakudom"'s 10th anniversary (it was made in 2001) but I didn't want to be self-serving.

2) Dancing Gendous: I was also sad about no "dancing Gendous" and felt it was a sign that time was passing and I was getting older. But... I haven't seen many people cosplay AS Gendou lately. One of the reasons I tried to get everyone pumped up (mine was the voice behind the curtain at the show) and dance was that I also remember that being a really cool thing. I can't get people to suddenly change costumes in the middle of a show, but hopefully encouraging people to get up and dance and sing along and all helped make it special. We'll try it again next year and hopefully we'll have a new tradition on our hands.

3) AMV Salad: As long as they get it done on time, I'll be glad to show AMV Salad 6 next year, and maybe one of the older ones in the "Classic" section. Last year we had five and a quarter hours of brand new stuff so there was no room, but next year there might be.

4) "Sailor Moon Abridged" movie: This was a world premier, never shown before. Unfortunately the "finished" version wasn't ready, so we had to show a "work-in-progress" version. There were some audio problems, balancing problems, etc. The head writer, director, and many of the voice actors were in the audience and they were taking notes and they said that being there and feeling the audience reactions will majorly help them tweak it and make it better. So, even though you didn't like it much everyone did help make it better. That's one of the great things about fan made productions: the creators may very well be in the room.

5) Opening Video: Thank you for liking it! I wanted to create something that involved everyone who was making parodies, and the reaction was great. Someone filmed it and the creators who weren't there all got to see the audience reaction . I don't know what we'll be doing next year but hopefully we'll come up with something good.

6) "The Slayers Redub": This was also a work-in-progress version. Thanks for the feedback. I sent a lot of comments along to the creators, whom I know. Hopefully they'll use that to tweak the final version. The final is going to be called "The Slayers Redub - Advanced" and hopefully will be ready for next year.

7) The Line: I wouldn't worry about the line at the parodies. The room didn't fill up (though it got close) so if you came later you could have gotten in fine. We had a few problems with lines this year. The "Full Metal Alchemist" Movie started late due to a line messup with the AMV contest, which snowballed. We tried hard to get back on schedule so instead of having the usual half hour to get everyone seated we had about 10 minutes. I'm working with scheduling to try to have plenty of time. It's a pretty huge show and tons of people come out to it, but we don't quite fill the room so there's really no reason (unless you want the best seats) to come very early and wait. Also, after the first half hour or so people start to trickle out and there are always seats.

8) "Ideon/off": I loved this one as well. It was created by one guy, Eric Miller, who goes by Trigger Mortis. Insane that something so funny was done by just one guy, plus it was done in about eight weeks! He also did the "Macross 7.5 & 1/2" that was shown Saturday night, which I think was also great. Look him up. He's got a YouTube channel and loves to hear feedback and from people who've seen his work. He tells me he's working on a Part 2 of "Ideon/off" so hopefully we'll have something new from him next year.

9) "Documentary": One of the major criticisms last year was that people were expecting "parodies" in the "fan parody" show. Kind of obvious, I guess. :) The department, however, is the "Fan Produced Videos" department, and we're trying to encourage all kinds of fan produced works. However, we learned in 2010 (and 2009 and 2008 and 2007 and...) that anything that isn't "parody" or "comedy" just doesn't work for the crowd, so we're now limiting the "Fan Parody" show to just fan parodies, and we'll try to get any other projects their own time slot so that the audience will be in the right mind for them. 2011 was the first year of "only comedy" and it worked extremely well, so expect that moving forward.

Thanks so much for the feedback, and again send questions, comments, requests, and ideas to me. Also, if you know anyone who either has or is creating fan parodies, please get them in contact with me. We're always looking for new material.

My one request is that a schedule of fan parodies is posted somewhere for each night. I honestly can't remember if this was done last year, but I know it has varied from year to year. Even if it doesn't make it in the program book, if a schedule is posted somewhere on the site or forums it'd be great.

I only ask because there are certain parodies that I want to see, some that are must sees for me, but the fan parody blocks often overlap with other events I want to attend.

Also, I love ReDeath, but I"ve seen it every year at multiple conventions and I miss some of their other parodies - Nescaflowne, Fanboy Bebop. Maybe rotate these as well?