Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kyoharu

Hotels for Otakon 2012

So I'm a bit concerned. Myself and my friend usually stay at the Holiday Inn Inner Harbor. It's relatively cheap and a nice place, as well as right across the street from the BCC. When going to the hotels for next year, I can't seem to find it on the list, unless I uncheck the box that says "Show available rooms only" Does this really mean all of the Otakon Block rooms have already been taken for 2012?! I didn't even get to see the double bed section on there before they ran out! Or are they just not fully set up yet?

It's most likely the Holiday Inn is already sold out, it was available about a week ago. That one and the Days Inn are always the first ones to go.

Double beds at the Holiday Inn are defintely sold out. I got a room there... three or four days ago? And all that was left were king size beds, which is what I booked.

I think there's a small chance of the hotel adding more rooms to the Otakon block; I've heard of that happening before. But, if not, you could try calling the hotel directly and booking a room straight through them, though it won't be at the Otakon rate.

As soon as I found out Days Inn doesn't take reservations for dates more than 360 days in the future I watched and waited.

Two minutes after midnight, when the date I needed appeared on the online calendar, it was said the dates were sold out.

I found out Passkey had them all but didn't know the link.

Apparently, someone "leaked" it and a friend of mine posted it to her Facebook.

Like a flash, I jumped over to Passkey and BOOM!..back at Days Inn for 2012.

The moral: get on making reservations as soon as you get home. :D

Apparently, someone "leaked" it and a friend of mine posted it to her Facebook.

Like a flash, I jumped over to Passkey and BOOM!..back at Days Inn for 2012.

The moral: get on making reservations as soon as you get home. :(

see what I think is the fact that the PERSON in control of the hotel liaison, the one who gets put incharge of the hotel management, also thought that it would be ok to send info via Facebook about the passkey site to a friend. Yea I know DUMB idea as anything that gets posted will get out before the date that the con chair (I'm guessing this of course) had told people at the feedback. I say that the hotel system SHOULD NOT be open for reservation until Con reg is open as it only makes since as it may stop those that decide they can't make it but already made hotel reservations that don't wanna give their hotels up without "selling" them to others

see what I think is the fact that the PERSON in control of the hotel liaison, the one who gets put incharge of the hotel management, also thought that it would be ok to send info via Facebook about the passkey site to a friend. Yea I know DUMB idea as anything that gets posted will get out before the date that the con chair (I'm guessing this of course) had told people at the feedback. I say that the hotel system SHOULD NOT be open for reservation until Con reg is open as it only makes since as it may stop those that decide they can't make it but already made hotel reservations that don't wanna give their hotels up without "selling" them to others

I hope that there are repercussions but I highly doubt it, I am annoyed that it seems like there is going to be zero accountability. I would almost say that all of the reservations at the Days should be cancelled and re-opened so that everyone has a fair shot but I doubt that will happen.

Ricin

I hope that there are repercussions but I highly doubt it, I am annoyed that it seems like there is going to be zero accountability. I would almost say that all of the reservations at the Days should be cancelled and re-opened so that everyone has a fair shot but I doubt that will happen.

Ricin

The only problem with doing that is that those that did get rooms normally, without being part of that "inner circle" would get penalized as well. Not exactly a fair shot if your punishing people that did no wrong. Not to be a patronizing wench about it but pay attention to the forums themselves not just the announcements, it was commented on as early as the 1st on these very boards /index.php?showtopic=21798">here.

We understood that regardless of what we did after the live link was "discovered", people would be upset.

With that in mind we decided to go with what we thought would be the least painful path for everyone involved and announced last week on our website, the RSS feed, on twitter, and here on the BBS that the hotels were opened early and where to find the link. It is unfortunate that things did not go as we had planned for them to go, but we understand where the problem occurred and have taken steps to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Also it's worth pointing out that although a number of inner harbor hotels are sold out for the Otakon room block, there are also a handful which are not available for reservations yet due to a variety of reasons. When these hotels become available, we will announce it on our website.

The only problem with doing that is that those that did get rooms normally, without being part of that "inner circle" would get penalized as well. Not exactly a fair shot if your punishing people that did no wrong. Not to be a patronizing wench about it but pay attention to the forums themselves not just the announcements, it was commented on as early as the 1st on these very boards /index.php?showtopic=21798">here.

I agree with Tainted23.

Also it's worth pointing out that although a number of inner harbor hotels are sold out for the Otakon room block, there are also a handful which are not available for reservations yet due to a variety of reasons. When these hotels become available, we will announce it on our website.

Serious repercussions? Someone called Passkey/the Housing Bureau on August 1st, got told that the Otakon rates were going live that day, and their confirmation e-mail for their reservation had the live Passkey link in it. The link came up in conversation on Cosplay.com's forum that same day, pretty much immediately got posted to Otakon's message board, and that's when it started circulating through Facebook/Twitter/etc.

I have no horse in this race as the hotels I'm interested in never came up on Passkey (Hilton/Hyatt/Sheraton Inner Harbour) even past August 8th, but I was keeping an eye on the link and the Days Inn didn't sell out until Otakon officially started broadcasting it on the 3rd. No conspiracy, no inner circle, just some crossed wires with Passkey. And yeah, it sucks and steps should be taken to make sure this doesn't repeat itself, but it's not worth making a scapegoat out of someone.

No conspiracy, no inner circle, just some crossed wires with Passkey. And yeah, it sucks and steps should be taken to make sure this doesn't repeat itself, but it's not worth making a scapegoat out of someone.

That more or less sums it up. As often is the case, there is much more to it than one person pushed a button early. We do what we can on our end to resolve problems, but there are other areas involved we have little to no control over.

Does anyone know if the Hitlon is one of the hotels sold out, or one of the ones yet to be put online? I was away for the two weeks following Otakon, unable to follow what's been going on with the hotels...

The Hilton is one of the hotels that is not yet available.

Does anyone know if the Hitlon is one of the hotels sold out, or one of the ones yet to be put online? I was away for the two weeks following Otakon, unable to follow what's been going on with the hotels...

The Hilton is one of the hotels that is not yet available.

Ricin

No conspiracy, no inner circle, just some crossed wires with Passkey. And yeah, it sucks and steps should be taken to make sure this doesn't repeat itself, but it's not worth making a scapegoat out of someone.

That more or less sums it up. As often is the case, there is much more to it than one person pushed a button early. We do what we can on our end to resolve problems, but there are other areas involved we have little to no control over.

So exactly what hotels arn't available?

I do not have a full list at the moment as our point person for the hotels is dealing with a family medical emergency. The ones I do know are not yet available are:

Hilton (next to BCC)

Sheraton Inner Harbor

Marriott at Camden Yards

When will Hilton be available????

There are a number of factors involved for each hotel which makes predicting a date difficult. If I had to guess I would say at least a month from now. Of course things could happen which completely invalidate my prediction. At least assuming that everything goes as planned, we will announce the hotel availability well before Passkey makes them live.

I do not have a full list at the moment as our point person for the hotels is dealing with a family medical emergency. The ones I do know are not yet available are:

Hilton (next to BCC)

Sheraton Inner Harbor

Marriott at Camden Yards

Where should I be looking if I wanted to book a hotel for next years Otakon? I know I should follow the Twitter and the boards but is there anywhere else? I don't wanna be left without a room...

Where should I be looking if I wanted to book a hotel for next years Otakon? I know I should follow the Twitter and the boards but is there anywhere else? I don't wanna be left without a room...

Is it worth going on the "wait list" for some of these hotels? The ones on there right now are way to expensive for my liking =/

Hilton (next to BCC)

Sheraton Inner Harbor

Marriott at Camden Yards

There are a number of factors involved for each hotel which makes predicting a date difficult. If I had to guess I would say at least a month from now. Of course things could happen which completely invalidate my prediction. At least assuming that everything goes as planned, we will announce the hotel availability well before Passkey makes them live.

Many of the hotels are not yet authorized to do room blocks under the Otakon rate. Expect announcements soon.

So I'm a bit concerned. Myself and my friend usually stay at the Holiday Inn Inner Harbor. It's relatively cheap and a nice place, as well as right across the street from the BCC. When going to the hotels for next year, I can't seem to find it on the list, unless I uncheck the box that says "Show available rooms only" Does this really mean all of the Otakon Block rooms have already been taken for 2012?! I didn't even get to see the double bed section on there before they ran out! Or are they just not fully set up yet?

Many of the hotels are not yet authorized to do room blocks under the Otakon rate. Expect announcements soon.

One month later...

Any updates that can be disclosed to us?

As someone noted in another thread, the Hilton doesn't show up now even if one unchecks 'Show available rooms only'.

My mom booked a room at the Tremont(hotel connected to the center) a couple weeks ago and it seems that rooms are still availible.

Seriously, what's going on with the Hilton? Has it been put online and I missed it? Is it not offered this year? Are we still waiting for it to go up?

If something's not resolved soon, I don't think I'll be attending Otakon this year, with so much uncertainty on hotels, it's hard to get everything together.

My mom booked a room at the Tremont(hotel connected to the center) a couple weeks ago and it seems that rooms are still availible.

The Tremont is NOT connected to the BCC. It's not even across the street from it and is in fact up St. Paul St by Mercy Medical Center. It's about 7 blocks north.

The Hilton IS connected to the BCC. The Sheraton Inner Harbor is behind the BCC. The Hyatt is across from BCC on Charles St side.

The closest hotels to the BCC are- Hilton, Sheraton Inner Harbor, Hyatt, Days Inn, Mariott.

While I can't tell you what's going on for hotels and the Hilton as I am not the staffer who works with that, if you are booking hotels just double check they are where you think you are and if you book one further away it doesn't hurt to find one near a light rail stop or on the circulator route.

While I can't tell you what's going on for hotels and the Hilton as I am not the staffer who works with that....

Is it possible to get a staff memeber to comment on it, or is there someone I can email who might be able to answer? Or at least give us some vauge idea of what to expect? At this point, we're worried and wondering if the Hilton will ever be available, and we need to decide if we should go ahead with another hotel, wait it out, or consider the idea of not attending this year.

Thank you very much for answering my main concern about the Hilton, and letting us know that it will, eventually be put online. It certainly makes us feel a lot better about waiting it out for the hotel to be put online.

Thank you!

what *soon* is I do not know since there has been several family medical-based emergencies on that chain of responsibility combined with having to renegotiate the contracts. But we do want to get them released to all of you just as much as you want to book them!

Just to let everyone know that additional hotels have been added to the Otakon room block for 2012 as of today: https://otakon.com/news_article.asp?id=651

Just to let everyone know that additional hotels have been added to the Otakon room block for 2012 as of today: https://otakon.com/news_article.asp?id=651

Still no new rooms as of this morning (Nov 1st). I wonder if they intentionally did an early announcement to appease those who got left out of the initial hotel reservation leak, or if this is simply some technical error.

Still no new rooms as of this morning (Nov 1st). I wonder if they intentionally did an early announcement to appease those who got left out of the initial hotel reservation leak, or if this is simply some technical error.

Thank you very much for getting everything up! I am very excited to have my hotel booked, and am looking forward to 2012!

Thank you very much for getting everything up! I am very excited to have my hotel booked, and am looking forward to 2012!

Hi All,

Please check often as hotels keep opening up rooms for us! Some hotels still have not released their room blocks, but a few of them did release them this afternoon.