Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CreepyTony

doctor who

i dont really know anything about this show but have been interested, i just never got around to watching it. i dont know where to start tho. suggestions?

Well to someone who's interested in learning about Doctor Who, I recommend "Genesis of the Daleks", a Fourth Doctor story considered by many Who fans to be the best episode of the classic series!

Start with the 2005 series and watch them in order, beginning with "Rose", which was designed to reintroduce the show to a modern audience. You will get attached to characters, and things will happen to them, and you will be sad, but stick with it. Change is part of the show.

If you like older TV, and depending on your tolerance for the slower pacing and dated production values, I suggest a sampler of the previous Doctors.

Start with The Five Doctors, which was a special for the 20th anniversary, and brings together an army of companions, villains, and Doctors. Then, to get a sense of how unusual the show was back in 1963, watch the very first episode, "An Unearthly Child". Then, if you want to try just one from each era, I suggest:

1st Doctor: The Aztecs

2nd Doctor: Tomb of the Cybermen

3rd Doctor: The Silurians, or Inferno

4th Doctor: Genesis of the Daleks, or City of Death

5th Doctor: Caves of Androzani

6th Doctor: Vengeance on Varos, or The Two Doctors

7th Doctor: Curse of Fenric, or Revelation of the Daleks

8th Doctor: The TV Movie

You may want to watch "Survival", which was the last episode of the original series; it would be 7 years before the 8th doctor appeared. If you are up for a longer experience, try "The Key To Time", which was an entire series featuring the Fourth Doctor. "The War Games" (2nd Doctor) is also pretty good, and was the first time the Doctor mentioned his home world.

This will whet your appetite, I think, and of the ones I suggest, all are available on DVD, with the older episodes impressively restored, and loaded with DVD extras.

Hope this helps!

I have been watching Doctor Who for a long time, but never got to see the much of the first 2 Doctors. However, I would recommend starting with the new series with Christopher Eccleston. When they started the new episodes, they put more of a flow to it, with longer story arcs. The first 2 or 3 seasons, of the new series, re-introduce a lot of the classic enemies. If you get hooked, then start with the much older series and watch the Doctor's character change, and grow, over time; the enemies too. You can see the evolution of the Cybermen over the years. (I really loved that Cybermen design from that anime video someone posted in another thread.)

Start with the 2005 series and watch them in order, beginning with "Rose", which was designed to reintroduce the show to a modern audience. You will get attached to characters, and things will happen to them, and you will be sad, but stick with it. Change is part of the show.

If you like older TV, and depending on your tolerance for the slower pacing and dated production values, I suggest a sampler of the previous Doctors.

Start with The Five Doctors, which was a special for the 20th anniversary, and brings together an army of companions, villains, and Doctors. Then, to get a sense of how unusual the show was back in 1963, watch the very first episode, "An Unearthly Child". Then, if you want to try just one from each era, I suggest:

1st Doctor: The Aztecs

2nd Doctor: Tomb of the Cybermen

3rd Doctor: The Silurians, or Inferno

4th Doctor: Genesis of the Daleks, or City of Death

5th Doctor: Caves of Androzani

6th Doctor: Vengeance on Varos, or The Two Doctors

7th Doctor: Curse of Fenric, or Revelation of the Daleks

8th Doctor: The TV Movie

You may want to watch "Survival", which was the last episode of the original series; it would be 7 years before the 8th doctor appeared. If you are up for a longer experience, try "The Key To Time", which was an entire series featuring the Fourth Doctor. "The War Games" (2nd Doctor) is also pretty good, and was the first time the Doctor mentioned his home world.

This will whet your appetite, I think, and of the ones I suggest, all are available on DVD, with the older episodes impressively restored, and loaded with DVD extras.

Hope this helps!

There's also some Doctor Who stories where fans are producing animation for missing episodes such as the first Second Doctor adventure, "Power of the Daleks". Clips from these can be found on Youtube.

Doctor Who on Amazon.com<--click this for Amazon.com's selection of Doctor Who on DVD :). Now one of my personal favorites of the classic Doctor Who is the Five Doctors special. It was a special that had the first 5 Doctors in one story, well except for the 4th Doctor (Tom Baker) who was in a suspension warp (I think thats what it was)

On a related topic... I just started Doctor Who, and after getting through all of the new stuff (it really is better to start on Christopher Eccleston, go through David Tennant and Matt Smith, then go back and watch the old stuff. Or so I have been told) I can't find the original series ANYWHERE. I borrowed the DVDs I watched from the library, but the don't have any of the old doctors. So does anyone know either A: where you can watch it online (this is my preference), or B: buy it from somewhere that is reasonably priced, or even cheap? I am REALLY looking forward to watching it, so thanks! ^_^

On a related topic... I just started Doctor Who, and after getting through all of the new stuff (it really is better to start on Christopher Eccleston, go through David Tennant and Matt Smith, then go back and watch the old stuff. Or so I have been told) I can't find the original series ANYWHERE. I borrowed the DVDs I watched from the library, but the don't have any of the old doctors. So does anyone know either A: where you can watch it online (this is my preference), or B: buy it from somewhere that is reasonably priced, or even cheap? I am REALLY looking forward to watching it, so thanks! :P

On a related topic... I just started Doctor Who, and after getting through all of the new stuff (it really is better to start on Christopher Eccleston, go through David Tennant and Matt Smith, then go back and watch the old stuff. Or so I have been told) I can't find the original series ANYWHERE. I borrowed the DVDs I watched from the library, but the don't have any of the old doctors. So does anyone know either A: where you can watch it online (this is my preference), or B: buy it from somewhere that is reasonably priced, or even cheap? I am REALLY looking forward to watching it, so thanks! :P

Well you can get everything from the BBC and almost all early Who can be down loaded.

Yes, but the ETHICAL thing to do would be to watch it through some legitimate means. Netflix has most of the available releases, and that's a better alternative if you (understandably) don't want to purchase them outright.

If you're a DVD extras junkie (or like watching stuff like Doctor Who Confidential), I really do recommend the DVDs; they've got some choice material and great commentary. And the work that went into restoring the older episodes has really been remarkable.

Regarding specific episodes -- I gotta say, Trial of a Time Lord (6th Doctor) is uneven stuff, and you can really tell that they scrambled to put together that last story. Some of it is great stuff, and the Doctor's ranting at the Time Lords for their hypocrisy is definitely a defining moment both for that particular Doctor and for the series mythology.

If you like Gallifrey stuff, here are the stories that involve the Doctor's home world:

War Games -- in Patrick Troughton's last moments as the 2nd Doctor, having defeated the baddies, he's faced with the daunting prospect of how to return thousands of people to their proper times, and he's forced to stop running and finally call home for help. He is put on trial for meddling in the affairs of other sentients, and is punished by exile to earth -- and forced to regenerate.

Spearhead from Space -- newly regenerated and not yet himself, the 3rd Doctor (Jon Pertwee) seeks refuge with some of the few people he knows on earth, and joins UNIT as scientific advisor while stopping an alien invasion. He finds that as part of his punishment, he's stuck there, without the ability to control his TARDIS.

Terror of the Autons -- The 3rd Doctor, still in exile, is warned by a fellow Time Lord that his old friend/enemy the Master has come to Earth.

Later in the 3rd Doctor's tenure, the Time Lords restore his ability to control the TARDIS, but mostly so they can send him to do their dirty work. (Colony in Space)

The Three Doctors -- under siege by Omega, one of the original founders of their society, the Time Lords summon the 3rd Doctor, along with his two previous selves. This was the show's tenth anniversary special story.

The Deadly Assassin -- the 4th Doctor (Tom Baker) is summoned home to Gallifrey, only to find himself a suspect in the murder of the president. He gets embroiled in a plot by the Master, who at this point has used up all his regenerations. This is the first story really set on Gallifrey, and the only one to feature the Doctor without a companion.

Invasion of Time -- the 4th Doctor returns to Gallifrey, assumes the presidency, and begins to dismantle Gallifrey's defenses to allow an alien invasion. Of course he's got something up his sleeve, but the twists and turns of getting there show lots about Gallifrey and the Time Lords.

The missing episode, Shada, has been done twice. Originally a 4th Doctor story that didn't get completed due to a strike, and then later remade with the 8th Doctor as an audio play, it is ALSO essentially the underlying plot of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, since Douglas Adams wrote both.

The Key To Time: The Ribos Operation -- The Doctor is asked by the White Guardian, a benevolent god-like being, to retrieve the Key to Time, so that the universal balance of good and evil can be reset. He is given a new companion, Romana, a young Time Lord who thinks she's on a mission for the Lord President of Gallifrey.

In the Keeper of Traken, the 4th Doctor encounters the Master again. Utterly exhausted and in a horrifying parody of his living form, the Master steals the body of the kindly ruler of a league of advanced worlds. In Logopolis, the rejuvenated Master then holds the universe to ransom and the 4th Doctor is killed trying to stop him. The 5th Doctor would spend much of his time thwarting the Master's increasingly insane schemes.

Arc of Infinity -- the 5th Doctor (Peter Davison) returns to Gallifrey to find out who's trying to steal his life. A bit of a recurring theme emerges.

Mawdryn Undead -- the 5th Doctor gets caught in various time-crossed events featuring a group of aliens whose attempt to steal the ability to regenerate didn't quite work out.

The Five Doctors -- A mysterious figure pulls all the incarnations of the Doctor thus far out of time, and while the 5th Doctor attempts to uncover the plot within the Gallifreyan leadership, his prior selves and companions must contend with many prior enemies (including the Master, the Sontarans, the Daleks, and the Cybermen) in an attempt to solve an ancient riddle. This was the 20th anniversary story.

Trial of a Time Lord -- the 6th Doctor (Colin Baker) is taken out of time and put on trial by the mysterious Valeyard, with the Gallifreyan High Council as jury. Over several episodes, it becomes clear that the evidence has been tampered with, and the Doctor is being framed. The High Council are trying to cover up the theft of some highly sensitive information and have gone to extraordinary lengths to implicate the Doctor.

In Silver Nemesis (the 25th anniversary story), the 7th Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) is revealed to have stolen the Hand of Omega (which was used to create the black hole that powers Gallifrey) long ago, and hidden it on Earth. He uses it to defeat the Cybermen.

To Add to the list that Jim has put up,

The Time Meddler-This is the first time we meet another member of the Doctor's race besides his granddaughter (although they are not yet identified as Time Lords). The Monk's name is not revealed in the story, in which he is called simply "The Monk", "The Meddling Monk" or "The Time Meddler". Later spin-off novel, the canonicity of which is debatable, give the name as Mortimus and establish that the Monk and the Doctor attended the Academy as schoolmates.

An Unearthly Child-The very first Doctor Who Eps one must watch this to understand the Canon of Doctor Who