Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scorpion89

Cherry Blossum Event in Washington DC

Hi Staff People,

Can someone please explain to use folks who are payed 2011 Otakon members what if any benefits we get for the 2012 Washington DC Cherry Blossom Event. I know that Otakorp helps out does this mean as payed members we get some sort of special thing.

Thanks in advance

Scorp

Hi Staff People,

Can someone please explain to use folks who are payed 2011 Otakon members what if any benefits we get for the 2012 Washington DC Cherry Blossom Event. I know that Otakorp helps out does this mean as payed members we get some sort of special thing.

Thanks in advance

Scorp

The NCBF furthers Otakorp's mission of promoting cultural exchange between Asia and the US. We sponsor the anime marathon at the Smithsonian and sometimes help bring guest speakers, sponsor prizes, etc.

Hi Staff People,

Thanks in advance

Scorp

The NCBF furthers Otakorp's mission of promoting cultural exchange between Asia and the US. We sponsor the anime marathon at the Smithsonian and sometimes help bring guest speakers, sponsor prizes, etc.

No. Otakorp sponsors the event to further its educational mission. It is essentially an outreach activity.

We specifically sponsor the anime marathon at the Freer Gallery. We pay for the film rentals, and help choose and obtain titles. We sometimes sponsor or help acquire a guest speaker; past speakers have included people like Steve Bennet, Roland Kelts, and Satoshi Kon.

Our work at NCBF has allowed us to work with the JICC and the Japanese Embassy, the Smithsonian, and the Japan-America Society. In turn, they've helped us expand cultural programming at Otakon, with things like the Rakugo performance. We work with grass-roots folks like the DC Anime Club, who help with the event; we provide prizes and little give-aways. Otakon members frequently attend, but it's also a great opportunity to reach an audience that doesn't already come to Otakon.

While the event on its own is more than justified as part of our mission, and brings the other strategic benefits noted above, we are looking at ways to bring a bigger benefit to members. Some of our previous efforts haven't quite materialized as we'd hoped, but it is likely that something new and interesting will take place this year. It is, after all, a pretty big anniversary for the NCBF, and if I'm not mistaken, it'll mark our 10th year of helping with the event.

There's a lot in the works, but as always, we'll announce it when we're ready.